• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

Blizzard

Banned
A present for you all (dev menu)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59077113&postcount=124

How to change FOV.
Navigate to install folder
Open "coj4" folder.
Open "Data0.pak" with winrar (or whatever you use)
Inside the archive, nagivate to: "\data\skills\"
Extract: "default_levels.xml" - password is TN2kTjNmBvn5axaS6tGY
Open that file and edit:
<prop n="CameraDefaultFOV" v="XX.X"/>
Save the file and drag it back to the same location in the archive
Thanks for the info! How did you create the dev executable and extract the encryption password? Did you have to hex edit the original executable, or is something else required to generate the dev version?

Order of most fun with games I've had this year:

1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
3. Far Cry: Blood Dragon
4. Tomb Raider
5. DmC

So... More of this $15 shit, please!

WAIT A MINUTE!

Gunslinger higher than Blood Dragon? You're gonna take Gunslinger before all that wonderful, joyous, Michael Biehn 80's goodness?

antitrop

WAIT A MINUTE!

Gunslinger higher than Blood Dragon? You're gonna take Gunslinger before all that wonderful, joyous, Michael Biehn 80's goodness?
I prefer the arcade gameplay of Gunslinger to the open world mission based Far Cry, I make no apologies for that.

Tokubetsu

I prefer the arcade gameplay of Gunslinger to the open world mission based Far Cry, I make no apologies for that.

Same here. To be fair though, I've only ever really enjoyed open world stuff in GTAIV or GTA clones. I loathe open world racing games for example.

This game is pretty god damn fun, but there's something about the graphics engine (PC) that fatigues my eye. Like everything has an overblown sharpness filter on it or something. It's hard to explain.

Lowered some graphics settings - maybe helped.

From a technical aspect the game is pretty bland, but the shooting is just so good. Very arcadey.

O.DOGG

WAIT A MINUTE!

I find Gunslinger to be much more enjoyable than Blood Dragon. Completely blew away all my expectations. Definitely one of the best games I've played this year.

I was banned from Gunslinger steam discussions (1 day ban) for telling people how to change the FOV. The good news, however:

You have been banned from all Call of Juarez Gunslinger discussions until May 25, 2013 @ 3:52pm.
You were banned by kanosek.
Reason: "password disclosure - please don't let cheaters ruin this game. We are going to provide regular way to adjust the fov in video.scr file."

Guys, please don't disclose password and save this game from cheaters. We won't be able to keep leaderboards tidy when just anybody is able to unlock the game. Our patch allowing tidy tweak of the FOV is right on the way!

Looks like we got their attention xD If you lock stuff down, I WILL BREAK IT AND MAKE YOU FIX IT YOURSELVES. Mua. Ha. Haaaaa....

antitrop

I was banned from Gunslinger steam discussions (1 day ban) for telling people how to change the FOV.

That's hilariously pathetic. I love it.

If they launched the game with a simple FoV tweak nobody would have hacked the fucking files in the first place, all their fault.

Andrew.

Banned
As a non PC gamer can someone tell me what FOV is? Im guessing field of view but can someone clarify and explain whats so initially bad about it in this?

Just trying to gain a better understanding of whats discussed round these parts. Anti aliasing, V-sync, all that shit.

And holy fucking crap at this Chapter 6 music.

A present for you all (dev menu)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59077113&postcount=124

How to change FOV.
Navigate to install folder
Open "coj4" folder.
Open "Data0.pak" with winrar (or whatever you use)
Inside the archive, nagivate to: "\data\skills\"
Extract: "default_levels.xml" - password is TN2kTjNmBvn5axaS6tGY
Open that file and edit:
<prop n="CameraDefaultFOV" v="XX.X"/>
Save the file and drag it back to the same location in the archive

Makes the game 5x more enjoyable. Thanks.

Zeliard

lol, leaderboards

Many highly competitive multiplayer shooters allow for extensive customization far beyond just FOV. What a dopey excuse.

Raptomex

As a non PC gamer can someone tell me what FOV is? Im guessing field of view but can someone clarify and explain whats so initially bad about it in this?

Just trying to gain a better understanding of whats discussed round these parts. Anti aliasing, V-sync, all that shit.

And holy fucking crap at this Chapter 6 music.
I think it is field of view and I'd like to know this, too. I never know what to set it at. If I have the option I usually set it from 90 to 100. My monitor is 16:10, 1440x900. Games never looks weird so I guess I'm doing it right.

antitrop

A narrow field of view is compounded in PC games by the fact that you normally sit closer to a smaller monitor than a larger television. The narrow FoV causes the game to feel as if the camera is duct-taped to the forearms of the player character, instead of looking through their eyes. It's extremely awkward and for some very few people, such as TotalBiscuit, it causes the game to be completely unplayable by making them sick, nauseous. It's not that bad for me, just awkward. I love a nice wide FoV on PC to the point where I'm willing to accept a bit of distortion and fisheyeing on the edges of the screen to get it the way I want it.

I love a nice wide FoV on PC to the point where I'm willing to accept a bit of distortion and fisheyeing on the edges of the screen to get it the way I want it.

I like the 70-80 sweet spot. Anything over 90 and I feel like I'm playing Quake.

This game defaulted at 50 lol. Brutal.

antitrop

I like the 70-80 sweet spot. Anything over 90 and I feel like I'm playing Quake.

This game defaulted at 50 lol. Brutal.
95 or 100 for me, baby. As I said above, I like it extreme. I think I play Chivalry as high as 110, but that's the only game I like quite that high due to the melee based combat. For shooters usually 95 is great for me.

Oh wow. Now I want to see the worst kind of examples. Haha. Thanks dude. I get it.

The Darkness 2's PC port was the first that made me feel kinda nauseous, but I was at least able to plow through that game. I'd hate if I had to stop playing a game entirely because of the FOV.

Megasoum

Banned
It's weird, I totally understand why people want to change FOV but somehow, this has never affected me in any games. Everytime I changed the FOV I always end up going back to normal to get more fps.

Zeliard

Oh wow. Now I want to see the worst kind of examples. Haha. Thanks dude. I get it.

Recent Metro game, and I think the previous one as well, has a default vertical FOV of like 50, which is just obscene. It's like having literal tunnel vision; you can barely see anything on the peripheries. Dumber still are some of the excuses devs make, acting like adding FOV options will destroy the experience. Low vertical FOVs are also exacerbated on higher aspect ratios, so people with 16:10 monitors get it even worse. Sad/hilarious that the first 3D PC shooters figured this stuff 17+ years ago.

Megasoum

Banned
Recent Metro game, and I think the previous one as well, has a default vertical FOV of like 50, which is just obscene. It's like having literal tunnel vision. Dumber still are some of the excuses devs make, acting like adding FOV options will destroy the experience. Low vertical FOVs are also exacerbated on higher aspect ratios, so people with 16:10 monitors get it even worse. Sad/hilarious that the first 3D PC shooters figured this stuff 17+ years ago.

10481-97996-carmackjpg-468x.jpg

Our God

Andrew.

Banned
Recent Metro game, and I think the previous one as well, has a default vertical FOV of like 50, which is just obscene. It's like having literal tunnel vision; you can barely see anything on the peripheries. Dumber still are some of the excuses devs make, acting like adding FOV options will destroy the experience. Low vertical FOVs are also exacerbated on higher aspect ratios, so people with 16:10 monitors get it even worse. Sad/hilarious that the first 3D PC shooters figured this stuff 17+ years ago.

Do console games ever suffer from this issue? If so, what are some examples? Im just clueless when it comes to the technical stuff aside from tearing, textures etc or the basics for me I guess.

Zeno Clash 2 is the only game that every made me physically ill, that FOV was ridiculous...especially when sprinting around.

Haven't had any problem with this game though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do console games ever suffer from this issue? If so, what are some examples? Im just clueless when it comes to the technical stuff aside from tearing, textures etc or the basics for me I guess.

The FOV's are so narrow *because* they are being ported from console. Narrow FOV has a less obtrusive effect when your sitting 10 feet away from the screen.

Zeliard

As an aside, Carmack is also the only big name developer I've heard who praises the value of 60 fps on consoles, and specifically targeted it for certain games like Rage.

That's not something that hugely affects me as a PC gamer, but it does go to show where his priorities lie, and I appreciate that console gamers can experience that silky 60 fps goodness.

Do console games ever suffer from this issue? If so, what are some examples?

I imagine they all do - all of the ones with these FOV problems in the first place are going to have them in their console versions (where the FOV problems probably originate), the difference being those are less likely to get a patched FOV toggle (did Bioshock get one?). FOV problems may not be as noticeable on a television that you're sitting at a good distance from. You and others would have to let me know. :p

And for the record, I don't really have a problem with a dev recommending a certain FOV or whatnot, so long as they offer the option to change it. I'm cool with a dev saying "we recommend you use FOV xx for the intended experience" or whatever, and I'd even consider it, so long as it's not some silly value (as it always tends to be).

But they should always offer the option, in the same way that there should always be a vsync option. Tearing doesn't bother everyone, but it bothers some a whole lot, so give them the option to reduce or remove the problem.

antitrop

You can't talked about fucked up PC FoVs without the king of them, Bioshock 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t79UWIgvx2Q

Since BioShock was released, several issues have been found, with most uncovered in the Windows version.[150] A list of known issues is maintained on the official forums.[151] In both the BioShock demo and release version, it was observed that the field of view (FOV) used in widescreen was set such that it appeared that there was less visible in the display compared to the 4:3 format,[152] as well as in effect zooming in the player's view resulting in some cases of disorientation and nausea (particularly for people playing close to the screen, as with most PC setups), conflicting with original reports from a developer on how widescreen would have been handled.[153] This was a design decision made during development.[154][155] In patch 1.1, released on December 4, 2007, the "Horizontal FOV Lock" option was added to the Options menu,[156] which when switched off allows widescreen users a wider field of view, without cutting anything off the image vertically.

L5RAIiC.jpg

Lima

My god this game is good.

Finished all of it today for 400/400. Very enjoyable and arcade mode gave a good challenge if you are going for the 3 stars.

Andrew.

Banned
I half expected to find Vedder or Staley doing a "heyyyy yeahhhhh" during the loading music to "1:30 To Hell".

Aside from some assholes being difficult to spot because of color blending and no slide feature, this game has delivered. I too put it above Blood Dragon. For me it's simply the Western asthetic. I prefer this over neon 80s (which I do indeed love as well), but we needed a good Western to close out the gen and this more than fits the bill.

burgerdog

I can't believe this game is going largely unnoticed by most. It is easily better than most $60 games out there and it's only $15. It has great gameplay, beautiful graphics, awesome sound design, and an entertaining story. Ubi should have been behind this in full force like they were behind Blood Dragon. Shame.

PaulloDEC

Just started playing this, and it's very impressive so far. Looks great, feels great, sounds great.

Not so excited about the same things everyone else already picked up on (stutter, borders, FOV), but I can handle those until they're patched (or the community sorts them). It's nice at least, if baffling, that playing on the 360 controller eliminates the stutter.

PaulloDEC

Blizzard

Banned
That's hilariously pathetic. I love it.

If they launched the game with a simple FoV tweak nobody would have hacked the fucking files in the first place, all their fault.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Neoenigma wanted to get rid of the black border as well. Did you ask about that, Neo?

antitrop

I don't think that's necessarily true. Neoenigma wanted to get rid of the black border as well. Did you ask about that, Neo?

Getting rid of the border doesn't require the decryption key. Turns out changing the FoV doesn't either.

Seems like the only thing the decryption key is good for is cheating on the leaderboards.

Honestly, $15 is quite a decent price in my opinion compared to $50-70 release games. I've been happy with the purchase. I would guess there will be a discount at some point during a Steam summer sale if you're okay with waiting, too.

I can't hold out until a Steam sale! The cheapest I can find it elsewhere is $18. Is there anywhere selling it for $15?

The game is a bargain at that price. Support the devs if you can afford it.

Yeah, I'll definitely be buying this in the next couple of days, one way or another.

Okay, can't get the FOV to work. Everything is works just fine. Do I have to go into DEV menu to do it? Because I thought it was only - + from the number row...And I'm not seeing a difference...

Getting rid of the border doesn't require the decryption key. Turns out changing the FoV doesn't either.

Seems like the only thing the decryption key is good for is cheating on the leaderboards.

-EDIT-
Just saw this, never-mind. Going to put it the way it was.

Blizzard

Banned
I can't hold out until a Steam sale! The cheapest I can find it elsewhere is $18. Is there anywhere selling it for $15?

Yeah, I'll definitely be buying this in the next couple of days, one way or another.
What region are you in? Someone might be able to gift it to you for $15 USD since that's the release price. I didn't realize you weren't U.S.

antitrop

Ya, it looks like we'll just have to wait for the incoming FoV patch straight from Techland, unfortunately.

I've put 9 hours into the game and I'm about done with it, anyway. Too bad they couldn't have had a simple, standard feature at launch.

Ya, it looks like we'll just have to wait for the incoming FoV patch straight from Techland, unfortunately.

I've put 9 hours into the game and I'm about done with it, anyway. Too bad they couldn't have had a simple, standard feature at launch.

Word. Shit, I see myself playing this game on and off this year. So fucking good. It reminds me on why I loved SEGA arcade games...Good times. Anyway, I have to re-install the game again. I couldn't put it the way it was. It wouldn't launch at all. I did everything. Even verify the cache. No big deal...

antitrop

Word. Shit, I see myself playing this game on and off this year. So fucking good. It reminds me on why I loved SEGA arcade games...Good times. Anyway, I have to re-install the game again. I couldn't put it the way it was. It wouldn't launch at all. I did everything. Even verify the cache. No big deal...

Ya, but instead of playing this more I think I'll just replay Bound in Blood.

I don't have the time or the patience to go back through Red Dead Redemption again, even though it is my second favorite game of the generation.

I can see myself re-installing this over the summer, though, ya. I love arcade shooters.

Top Bottom