• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give up for 2015, Harper won and Trudeau fumbled a given opportunity to score.

what a total fail and for what? for defending fuckin' Niquabs and having a broken record sound bite on foreign affairs.

Yes, how dare the son of the PM who was one of the chief architects behind multiculturalism stand up for his father's legacy -- plus, you know, the rights of minorities and all that. Instead of focusing on that, he should totally be thinking of how he can keep the votes of crazy racists like yourself. That bigot demographic is really key to the whole Liberal coalition.

Yes, how dare the son of the PM who was one of the chief architects behind multiculturalism stand up for his father's legacy -- plus, you know, the rights of minorities and all that. Instead of focusing on that, he should totally be thinking of how he can keep the votes of crazy racists like yourself. That bigot demographic is really key to the whole Liberal coalition.

secular Liberals are in no obligation to defend ultra-conservative religious dogma, customs or practices that contradict Liberal ideals.

http://www.therebel.media/_non_musl...t_says_muslim_activist_who_wants_to_ban_niqab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0U_RRvfDSw

watch this from a Muslim Liberal explaining that the Niquab's origin predates Islam

secular Liberals are in no obligation to defend ultra-conservative religious dogma, customs or practices that contradict Liberal ideals.

http://www.therebel.media/_non_musl...t_says_muslim_activist_who_wants_to_ban_niqab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0U_RRvfDSw

watch this from a Muslim Liberal explaining that the Niquab's origin predates Islam

...and if we were having semantic religious debates in here, that might be totally germane to the discussion. But we're not: the point is that Liberals/liberals stand up for the people's fundamental human right to practice their religion, regardless of how much vile bigots and Islamophobes want to intrude on that right. No one is saying that you have to agree with it, but if you want to continue pretending to be "liberal", then you have to recognize that accepting freedom of religion is a pretty fundamental part of that.

...and if we were having semantic religious debates in here, that might be totally germane to the discussion. But we're not: the point is that Liberals/liberals stand up for the people's fundamental human right to practice their religion, regardless of how much vile bigots and Islamophobes want to intrude on that right. No one is saying that you have to agree with it, but if you want to continue pretending to be "liberal", then you have to recognize that accepting freedom of religion is a pretty fundamental part of that.
Freedom of religions ends when parents refuse to have their kids vaccinated, when parents refuse blood transfusions that might save their kids and balblabla

wanna celebrate a harmless holiday, fine. But a parent should not endanger to life of their child under the guise of freedom of religion

outright FREEDOM is nonsensical in the aspect of the rule of law, ethics in medince and science blablbalbla.

Remember that girl who died because she refused medical care because of ''beliefs'' ?

maharg

idspispopd
Freedom of religions ends when parents refuse to have their kids vaccinated, when parents refuse blood transfusions that might save their kids and balblabla

wanna celebrate a harmless holiday, fine. But a parent should not endanger to life of their child under the guise of freedom of religion

outright FREEDOM is nonsensical in the aspect of the rule of law, ethics in medince and science blablbalbla.

Remember that girl who died because she refused medical care because of ''beliefs'' ?

Wearing a particular kind of clothing is like refusing treatment for your children...

how?

I think this exactly what Harper wanted: to side track everyone one this issue away from bigger fish and LOL it seems to be working because Trudeau and Mulcair have taken the bait. Trudeau and Mulcair are both morons for biting even more into this bait.

Seriously, I hope this little wedge issue to go away quickly so we can talk about real shit.

Hopefully the Summer will be a time to get the shit together and get ready for September campaign on normal regular issues.

*fwwooosh*
couillard.jpg

''I am the cure!''

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Bell tops CCTS list of telco complaints

There were 1989 complaints(36% of total complaints to the CCTS) against Bell. Rogers came in second with 1240 complaints.

Having previously dealt with Bell, I am not surprised one bit. It's hard to one up Rogers on the shitty scale, but Bell manages to do it somehow.

Spl1nter

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This is an ugly day for the Harper government.

Canadian taxpayers lose $3.5-billion on 2009 bailout of auto firms

That $75-million in ads you paid for

@pdmcleod
Mother of god. Duffy says Peter MacKay told him he was set up on helicopter from fishing lodge story by Harper Dcom Dimitri Soudas. #cdnpoli

Going to have to be some godly budget to shift focus. Of course not to mention that next year the government will be 3.2 billion short from the sale of the stocks.

I hope this blows up like the sponsorship scandal. It's even worse IMO

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I sort of doubt anyone will care by the time the election rolls around, otherwise the polling numbers would be more lopsided.

LevelNth

Banned
I hope this blows up like the sponsorship scandal. It's even worse IMO
Yup, the comparison is a disservice to how bad it is, as it is much, much worse and transcends simply the events of what happened to the entire methodology, governance and leadership of the Conservative party.

Outside Alberta and stock PC spots, I will be absolutely shocked if they survive this. It's going to get so much worse; Duffy's entire defense is founded on the innate corruption of the Conservative party, the Senate process and PMO directions.

I sort of doubt anyone will care by the time the election rolls around, otherwise the polling numbers would be more lopsided.

It probably won't sway too many votes, but at the same time, if this is running going to be a daily thing until at least June (which is when Duffy apparently testifies), there's still lots of time for it to damage the Conservatives. If the last thing people remember before tuning out for the summer is Mike Duffy on the stand, huffing and puffing his way through all the ways Stephen Harper abused his position, that could have the same impact as those alleged envelopes stuffed full of cash from the sponsorship scandal -- regardless of how true it may be.

Azih

It might sway only a few fence sitters, but the other effect of stuff like this is to depress voter turnout and donations from Conservative supporters while increasing it from the other parties.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So is this the place to weigh in on Albertan provincial elections or strictly federal?
There's never been any limits in this thread. Feel free.

It probably won't sway too many votes, but at the same time, if this is running going to be a daily thing until at least June (which is when Duffy apparently testifies), there's still lots of time for it to damage the Conservatives. If the last thing people remember before tuning out for the summer is Mike Duffy on the stand, huffing and puffing his way through all the ways Stephen Harper abused his position, that could have the same impact as those alleged envelopes stuffed full of cash from the sponsorship scandal -- regardless of how true it may be.
I dunno... it's been 3 years of constant fuck ups and nothing really has changed, other than Mulcair losing position to Trudeau. I fear at best a minority government for the LPC is all we can hope for.

There's never been any limits in this thread. Feel free.

I dunno... it's been 3 years of constant fuck ups and nothing really has changed, other than Mulcair losing position to Trudeau. I fear at best a minority government for the LPC is all we can hope for.

but Trudeau has to seriously wake up and start running on the economy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/canada-deficit/

anyway, here is nice autographed photo

o-STEPHEN-HARPER-MIKE-DUFFY-900.jpg

The Federal has been comical on the environment. They spend years doing nothing and is uncooperative with the proVinces.

it's like we don't have a federal government since most of the work is inter-provincial

So, uh...

The Mainstreet Technologies automated phone survey of 3,121 Alberta voters conducted on April 13 shows the Wildrose and NDP in a statistical tie for first place at 31 per cent and 30 per cent support among decided voters, respectively.

Not that I like the NDP much, and not that I believe the Alberta PCs haven't come back from the dead before, and not that I believe the NDP has the GOTV strength or the proper vote distribution to pull something off, but...the NDP is in a statistical tie for first in a poll in Alberta. Craziness.

I wonder what, if anything, this means for the next federal election. Obviously the Conservatives are still in a really strong position, since between them and Wildrose they still have well over 50%, but at the same time, if the Conservatives are forced to defend Alberta rather than just being able to take 25+ seats for granted, that'd be a pretty interesting dynamic. When was the last time they had to even make an effort there? The '70s?

Azih

Provincial and Federal politics are pretty different and I don't think votes or support have ever really translated reliably between the two different levels. Could Mulcair get any traction in a federal campaign? I don't know. Seems like the NDP Alberta strength is very much a Rachel Notley success story.

Probably. And as Calgary Grit tweeted, "Lib/NDP got 35%+ every elxn from '93 to '08. No surprise those who voted Redford in '12 have left PCs; Prentice has done little for them."

Still, though, between this, Nenshi and the Conservative vote going down -- in some cases significantly -- in all the federal by-elections there since 2011, it's a good reminder that Alberta isn't just a monolithic voting bloc.

Probably. And as Calgary Grit tweeted, "Lib/NDP got 35%+ every elxn from '93 to '08. No surprise those who voted Redford in '12 have left PCs; Prentice has done little for them."

Still, though, between this, Nenshi and the Conservative vote going down -- in some cases significantly -- in all the federal by-elections there since 2011, it's a good reminder that Alberta isn't just a monolithic voting bloc.

Wouldn't those high NDP/Liberal numbers be because there was no Wildrose until 2008. If you didn't like the PCs, NDP/Liberal were all you had.

And polls don't mean much, when push comes to shave I think most Albertans will vote Conservative.

Azih

Alberta never was and a PR system would show that in election results.

maharg

idspispopd
Wouldn't those high NDP/Liberal numbers be because there was no Wildrose until 2008. If you didn't like the PCs, NDP/Liberal were all you had.

And polls don't mean much, when push comes to shave I think most Albertans will vote Conservative.

WR voters before WR existed (in its current incarnation) were mostly happy PC voters. Wildrose is a schismatic party, not a true oppositional force. Very few people would genuinely swing between WR and NDP. Even fewer between WR and Lib, because the Liberal brand is worth about as much as dogshit here (a brief resurgence in the 90s aside) thanks to PET and the NEP.

Also, the Liberals are at 10% provincially, meaning the liberal/progressive vote is currently at around 42% in Alberta polls. Suddenly all that attention Trudeau has been paying to the province doesn't seem so crazy. It may only lead to a couple of seats, but all things considered, a few seats could be the difference between forming government and leading the opposition.

EDIT: That said, some of the NDP vote could be drawn from the right. Historically, up until the Reform Party, the NDP was the protest vote in the prairies (even if way less so in Alberta than the rest of the western provinces). Part of their strength now could just be a revival of that.

Provincial Parties are not comparable to their Federal counterparts weather or not they are affiliated to it.

As for WR, you can swap PC with WR and it's still the same thing

maharg

idspispopd
Also, the Liberals are at 10% provincially, meaning the liberal/progressive vote is currently at around 42% in Alberta polls. Suddenly all that attention Trudeau has been paying to the province doesn't seem so crazy. It may only lead to a couple of seats, but all things considered, a few seats could be the difference between forming government and leading the opposition.

EDIT: That said, some of the NDP vote could be drawn from the right. Historically, up until the Reform Party, the NDP was the protest vote in the prairies (even if way less so in Alberta than the rest of the western provinces). Part of their strength now could just be a revival of that.

It might be in some places, but it's concentrated largely in Edmonton where it can be assumed to be at least relatively genuine. Edmonton has long been the holdout against the PC juggernaut, though it was also iirc instrumental in bringing them to power in the first place as a less right-wing-looney alternative to SoCred).

The Liberals are particularly weak right now, being that they have only an interrim leader who's doing his second stint, they're losing about half their incumbents, and two of the members have taken endorsements from the smaller fringe parties in an effort to "unite the 'progressive' vote." Whatever 'progressive' really means.

Provincial Parties are not comparable to their Federal counterparts weather or not they are affiliated to it.

As for WR, you can swap PC with WR and it's still the same thing

The WR may be schismatic from the PCs, but no. No, this is completely and utterly wrong.

Sakura

S
I wonder what, if anything, this means for the next federal election. Obviously the Conservatives are still in a really strong position, since between them and Wildrose they still have well over 50%, but at the same time, if the Conservatives are forced to defend Alberta rather than just being able to take 25+ seats for granted, that'd be a pretty interesting dynamic. When was the last time they had to even make an effort there? The '70s?
It's been said but... provincial elections have nothing to do with federal elections. The provincial parties may share the name but they are not the same as their federal counterparts.
Look at BC. We've elected a Liberal provincial government the last 4 elections in a row. The BC Conservative Party hasn't won a single seat in any of those elections.
Yet in federal elections BC is a conservative province.
You see, the 'British Columbia Liberal Party' is actually a centre-right, conservative party, like Harper's Conservative party.

Now in Alberta's situation, it is true, the federal Conservative party may be losing some support to the NDP. But still, we are talking 46 percent conservative to 19 percent NDP according to the latest polling. The provincial may be neck and neck but that is a different story.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's been said but... provincial elections have nothing to do with federal elections. The provincial parties may share the name but they are not the same as their federal counterparts.
Look at BC. We've elected a Liberal provincial government the last 4 elections in a row. The BC Conservative Party hasn't won a single seat in any of those elections.
Yet in federal elections BC is a conservative province.
You see, the 'British Columbia Liberal Party' is actually a centre-right, conservative party, like Harper's Conservative party.

Now in Alberta's situation, it is true, the federal Conservative party may be losing some support to the NDP. But still, we are talking 46 percent conservative to 19 percent NDP according to the latest polling. The provincial may be neck and neck but that is a different story.

Despite what you've correctly identified with the names not necessarily implying any relationship, in practice many provincial parties do have ties to their federal counterparts. Some formally (IE the Nova Scotia Liberals are explicitly affiliated with the Federal Liberals), some informally. The key is not to use names alone as a determinant, but rather look in to the substance of their policies and membership overlap. The Alberta PCs are absolutely reflective of the Federal Torys, especially in light of the fact that Jim Prentice was a mid-to-high ranking Harper Cabinet member, although obviously Prentice is to Harper's left and I would say the Alberta PCs have generally been so for a while. Of course, Brian Jean was also a federal CPC MP.

maharg

idspispopd
Since Stelmach won the leadership until Prentice took it, the federal CPC probably had closer ties to the WR than to the PCs. What support was given in public to either party in interim elections was largely given to the WR (though officially the party claimed to be staying above the fray). Stelmach and Redford were both surprises to the establishment in Alberta (and Ottawa). Stelmach even tried to raise royalty rates, and that was basically what got the Wildrose their money, even if there was a lot of grassroots organization behind them as well.

It would not be unreasonable to assume that Prentice coming in, and the subsequent defection of the Wildrose 9, was effectively Harper's attempt to bring some level of control back to the situation before this fall's federal election. It seems to have backfired.

Also, the NDP is the only party in Alberta with any official ties to their federal counterpart. The Liberals in particular have traditionally been quite vocal in attempting to distance themselves from the federal Liberals. This too has probably backfired this time around.

Sakura

Despite what you've correctly identified with the names not necessarily implying any relationship, in practice many provincial parties do have ties to their federal counterparts. Some formally (IE the Nova Scotia Liberals are explicitly affiliated with the Federal Liberals), some informally. The key is not to use names alone as a determinant, but rather look in to the substance of their policies and membership overlap. The Alberta PCs are absolutely reflective of the Federal Torys, especially in light of the fact that Jim Prentice was a mid-to-high ranking Harper Cabinet member, although obviously Prentice is to Harper's left and I would say the Alberta PCs have generally been so for a while. Of course, Brian Jean was also a federal CPC MP.
While of course there are parties with official ties, I'm just saying that you shouldn't take too much from provincial election polling/results and try to apply them to the federal level because it can be misleading.
For example. The Alberta NDP is affiliated with the federal NDP. Provincial election polling puts NDP at about 29%. Yet for federal election polling Alberta is at 19% for voting for the federal NDP.
Even if one party has a relationship with their federal counterpart, not all parties contending necessarily do, and when it comes to choosing a party to lead the country, people may have different views than when choosing who leads their province.

Quebec Liberals cut off ties with the Federal Liberals in the 1960s, and I BC did the same.

While Atlantic provincial parties still have big ties with their Federal cousins. (Expect for PC.. Altantic PC parties are more like old school PC nothing like Harper)

Wild Rose imo is closer to Harper Conservatives than old school Mulroney PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom