• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

The disgusting thing, though: according to Warren Kinsella's book, the Tories' poll numbers actually rebounded a little before they finally pulled the ads due to public outcry.

ofcoursebutmaybeolajd.gif

maharg

idspispopd
The ad was even worse than what you remember. The Tories did some pre-election polling in 1993 and found that the Liberals beat them on every issue but one: foreign policy. So the point of the ad wasn't just "look at this freak with a partially crippled face!", it was "look at this freak with a partially crippled face -- is that really who you want speaking for Canada internationally?"

The disgusting thing, though: according to Warren Kinsella's book, the Tories' poll numbers actually rebounded a little before they finally pulled the ads due to public outcry.

The admission of guilt tends to be a stronger motivator for voter outrage in Canada than the accusation. One of the reasons the Harper Conservatives are so shifty about anything that would require them to admit guilt on anything, and why they've gotten so good at rewriting history.

Kazerei

Banned
So he counters the least important part of the commercial?
Im an uninformed canadian.
Was that quebecor comment taken out of context?
Is it true that his only jobs were as camp counselor, drama teacher, and rafting instructor?

I remember some news articles describing him as a high school teacher. I think that's his main profession.

I don't get why that would be an attack on him though. The recent attack ads just seem like grasping at straws.

lol, exactly.

Trudeau is not Stephan Dion and it'll take a bit more to get traction on him.

The overall theme that the ad speaks to - that he's out of his depth leading a national party, and, in his hopes, a country - is a valid point among Canadians and will resonate. However sloppily they got there - 14-year-old quotes taken out of context and an oddly-used video taken from a charity event - the point still stands.

Whether it will ultimately change the political landscape remains to be seen. But, the point is valid. "He's just not ready" is a go-to effective line for incumbents, and it really can work absent a strong and convincing response. Trudeau's team stays silent at their peril.

diaspora

The biggest mistake Dion and Ignatieff made was thinking that Canadians know better. Overestimating people was easily the dumbest thing they could do.

The biggest mistake Dion and Ignatieff made was thinking that Canadians know better. Overestimating people was easily the dumbest thing they could do.

Not so much "know better" as "would brush off the ads in the same way that their teams did".

When you don't give people enough information about you to form an opinion, they won't. And, barring real, unaddressed anger, they'd rather take the guy (or gal) they know than the guy they don't, in a time of uncertainty.

Kazerei

Banned
I think the main problem with Dion and Ignatieff was that they seemed kinda weak and flimsy, and the party's leader is more important than the party's platform. At least, that would explain why so many people voted for the NDP Jack Layton.

If Trudeau can grow a badass mustache like Layton, the Liberals are guaranteed to win a landslide.

Slavik81

I feel like doing a grassroots smear campaign against harper here in calgary, mainly by developing some nice stickers that explain why harper doesn't represent me as a canadian.

That might be a good message in Kensington, but you're not going to find much support around the city. I don't think people here even really like Harper all that much, but that's not the way they'd say it.

That might be a good message in Kensington, but you're not going to find much support around the city. I don't think people here even really like Harper all that much, but that's not the way they'd say it.

just got to make up things like "harper has created a platform which allow his church to avoid paying millions in taxes, does that represent you?"

spin is fun.

maharg

idspispopd

I think one of the reasons people fail against Harper so consistently is in thinking that his supporters don't like him and are waiting for an alternative. I don't see how you can reconcile that with his, frankly, stellar approval numbers.

I think one of the reasons people fail against Harper so consistently is in thinking that his supporters don't like him and are waiting for an alternative. I don't see how you can reconcile that with his, frankly, stellar approval numbers.

Stellar? Are we looking at the same numbers? Last I remember his approval/disapproval was something like 30/60. Or do you mean Alberta-specific?

maharg

idspispopd
Stellar? Are we looking at the same numbers? Last I remember his approval/disapproval was something like 30/60.

I was speaking more specifically to Alberta, but I stand by it to some degree nationally as well.

He has both high approval and high disapproval (for a sitting PM or federal leader). His positives, for most of his run as PM, have generally been higher than his opponents.

That he also has a very galvanized opposition is also true.

Also, http://www.nanosresearch.com/library/polls/2013-02-LeadershipE.pdf

Slavik81

I might be projecting too much, but I do think it's true. The enchantment of 2005 has worn away. Calgary's not going to vote Liberal or NDP, but I haven't heard much enthusiasm.

Maybe I don't talk to the right people these days.

maharg

idspispopd
I might be projecting too much, but I do think it's true. The enchantment of 2005 has worn away. Calgary's not going to vote Liberal or NDP, but I haven't heard much enthusiasm.

Maybe I don't talk to the right people these days.

I mostly interact with lefties myself, so I constantly have to check myself against groupthink. When I do experience the views of a CPC/Harper-booster it definitely still strikes me as an intense level of support. Maybe an intensity that the left seems largely incapable of, even.

lupinko

I think the main problem with Dion and Ignatieff was that they seemed kinda weak and flimsy, and the party's leader is more important than the party's platform. At least, that would explain why so many people voted for the NDP Jack Layton.

If Trudeau can grow a badass mustache like Layton, the Liberals are guaranteed to win a landslide.

trudeau.jpg

I mostly interact with lefties myself, so I constantly have to check myself against groupthink. When I do experience the views of a CPC/Harper-booster it definitely still strikes me as an intense level of support. Maybe an intensity that the left seems largely incapable of, even.

From an EKOS poll in February, Mulcair only has 56% approval from NDP supporters, whereas Harper is at 76%. Not sure how accurate that is, though, since it shows Trudeau at 60%, when (maybe disgruntled Garneau supporters who didn't want to jump ship?).

That said, I think Conservative voters up here are basically the same as Republican voters in the US: as long as the politician has the party affiliation, they'll have intense, diehard supporters -- and the more the opposition dislikes him, the more ardent their affections will be. And since non-Conservatives really, really loathe Stephen Harper, Conservatives are basically ready to deify him.

sikkinixx

Ya know... just saying... Trudeau may have been sorta-kinda stripping (he got down to a tank top OH THE SCANDAL!) for a charity event but fuck me did it never cross his head "maybe, just maybe I'm making things TOO easy on rivals to mislead stupid people with?"

SRG01

So, I was listening to the local political commentary and the pundits were saying that Edmontonians tend to vote Liberal when they actually have a chance of winning. Any truth in that? Edmonton tends to be quite liberal compared to the rest of Alberta, but we haven't voted much red/orange for a very long time now.

diaspora

So, I was listening to the local political commentary and the pundits were saying that Edmontonians tend to vote Liberal when they actually have a chance of winning. Any truth in that? Edmonton tends to be quite liberal compared to the rest of Alberta, but we haven't voted much red/orange for a very long time now.

Tories win less overwhelmingly I guess.

"A Drama Teacher"- Well, that pretty much guarantees that Drama Teachers wont be voting in conservative. I know I'd consider it insulting if I was a Drama Teacher, or teacher of any kind.

Ya know... just saying... Trudeau may have been sorta-kinda stripping (he got down to a tank top OH THE SCANDAL!) for a charity event but fuck me did it never cross his head "maybe, just maybe I'm making things TOO easy on rivals to mislead stupid people with?"
Secretly its all part of the plan. Give them a bunch of easy stuff to hit you on so they don't feel the need to go deeper.
I wish! Would be awesome for whoever did it

Isn't there an NDP riding somewhere in Edmonton?

maharg

idspispopd

Edmonton didn't get the name Redmonton from nowhere, but it hasn't really been particularly true for a while. The last chance of toppling the provincial PCs in Alberta came from a popular Edmonton mayor taking over the Liberal party. Ralph Klein still basically creamed him, though.

But really, if there's anywhere in the province where seats are competitive at all it's Edmonton. But in the last election they were mostly competitive for the NDP, not the Liberals.

Isn't there an NDP riding somewhere in Edmonton?

Edmonton-Strathcona, the only opposition seat in all of Alberta. Also the location of the most arty university in the province.

gabbo

"A Drama Teacher"- Well, that pretty much guarantees that Drama Teachers wont be voting in conservative. I know I'd consider it insulting if I was a Drama Teacher, or teacher of any kind.

That's what I got from it too. Teachers don't know about responsibility or how to run things.
Which after living under Mike Harris could go either way I suppose.

Provincial politics but Manitoba NDP raising PST from 7% to 8%. Pretty disappointing to hear since that goes against NDP ideology.

And in Ontario, the Mississauga gas plant cancellation confirmed to be $275 million. Oakville cost $968 million so the total of both is $1.243 billion. I'm just about sick and tired of all these Liberal and privatization scandals. Is there ANY example of where privatization was actually a success? It's only been disaster after disaster.

diaspora

Provincial politics but Manitoba NDP raising PST from 7% to 8%. Pretty disappointing to hear since that goes against NDP ideology.

And in Ontario, the Mississauga gas plant cancellation confirmed to be $275 million. Oakville cost $968 million so the total of both is $1.243 billion. I'm just about sick and tired of all these Liberal and privatization scandals. Is there ANY example of where privatization was actually a success? It's only been disaster after disaster.

Serious? I'll be the first to say that privatization doesn't always work- particularly in noncompetitive spaces (see: public transit), but to say that it never does is nuts.

maharg

idspispopd

Well, personally I'd rather work for the company I work for than The Hudson Bay Company, so I'm gonna say that yes it occasionally works out.

SRG01

In other news, Harper is attacking Trudeau for... wait, I don't even understand this at all. Something about the Boston marathon and condemning the attacks?

..Wait... What? Did he actually do that or is my sarcasm meter broken?

Trudeau's response to the attack was to say he felt bad for the families, etc, etc (the usual platitudes) and then said that we need to examine the root cause of extremism and terrorism. He said that the person who did this felt excluded from society, and we need to figure out why and try to prevent the action in the first place. Harper responded by saying we shouldn't be rationalizing or making excuses for the bombing, but should instead be hunting down the person and punishing them.

Personally, Trudeau is 100% correct in that it's smarter (and cheaper) to prevent a cavity than to replace a tooth, but it's also a nuanced message, which is tough to sell against a "crime is bad, bad guys need to go to jail" message. So I give Trudeau points for being correct (also he also wants to hunt this guy down, obviously), and Harper points for being politically astute, but not as correct. Even if you want to hunt down the guy, you should also want to take steps to get to the root cause of terrorism and extremism to stop it.

Trudeau's response to the attack was to say he felt bad for the families, etc, etc (the usual platitudes) and then said that we need to examine the root cause of extremism and terrorism. He said that the person who did this felt excluded from society, and we need to figure out why and try to prevent the action in the first place. Harper responded by saying we shouldn't be rationalizing or making excuses for the bombing, but should instead be hunting down the person and punishing them.

Personally, Trudeau is 100% correct in that it's smarter (and cheaper) to prevent a cavity than to replace a tooth, but it's also a nuanced message, which is tough to sell against a "crime is bad, bad guys need to go to jail" message. So I give Trudeau points for being correct (also he also wants to hunt this guy down, obviously), and Harper points for being politically astute, but not as correct. Even if you want to hunt down the guy, you should also want to take steps to get to the root cause of terrorism and extremism to stop it.

I was actually shocked he said what he did during that interview, did not expect that kind of phrasing, and definitely respect him more for it. But as soon as the words came out of his mouth I knew he would be pummeled for it by his opponents.

Oh, and the guy took off his SHIRT which was- wait for it- worn on top of an UNDERSHIRT- to raise money for charity? And I'm support so trust this type of man to run the economy and protect my country?! INSANITY.

Seriously, fuck you, Harper.

diaspora

In other news, Harper is attacking Trudeau for... wait, I don't even understand this at all. Something about the Boston marathon and condemning the attacks?

Trudeau said we should figure out why he became a terrorist in the first place to stop future attacks. Consequently, Harper called him a terrorist sympathizer or some shit.

Well, Diaspora generalized Harper's response quite a bit. Trudeau is correct in his assessment and Harper did attack him unfairly for it, but Harper did not equate him with being a sympathizer.

I figured, Harper isn't that overtly stupid.

There's a bit of that underlying the message which is aimed at the faithful though.

gabbo

I figured, Harper isn't that overtly stupid.

There's a bit of that underlying the message which is aimed at the faithful though.

Harper came out unprovoked (as in wasn't asked about it by reporters) and said, we shouldn't try to rationalize these people/situations, or find the cause, which was obviously in response to Trudeau.

And all I can say is "What?" We don't want to know the cause? Uh, Stephen (may I call you Stephen?), knowing the could potentially stop them from happening in the future, saving lives. Why don't we want to know he cause again? Does he feel the need to respond to everything Trudeau says? Is he that intimidated, or is this part of the usual 'frame the narrative our way', and he's simply stumbling at every turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom