• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Even if you have a monster vehicle with an empty 100 L tank, the most you are going to save is $4 by rushing out to fill up now.

Most cars have 50 L tanks, so if you assume that the average tank is half full, than the average GAFer with a car is going to save a whole $1 by rushing out to fill up now. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

REASON HAS NO PLACE IN A DEALS THREAD GET OUT

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Futureshop has demon's souls regular edition for $9.99 at futureshop Wednesday April 4th only.

Please tell me this is the ugly greatest hits version with the red case. Only to make me feel better since I bought a $12 copy of the original print on craigslist. :/

At this point we may as well just have an Ottawa meetup for lunch. My vote would be either SmoqueShack or Smokes Poutine. (No relation, lol)

Both are located downtown within walking distance of the university, the first one has lots of seating, the second one not so much. The first is a little more expensive, the second, again, not so much.

I've been to the SmoqueShack several times, I'm a big fan. Splitting 4 dishes between the table and having them all be some sort of meat is deeeeelicious.

I remember when it was 1.15 in the GTA. 2009 was a pretty good year, wasn't it?

You shoulda filled just enough to get you across the border and topped up in the States. Gas is so much cheaper there T_T

sorry to say but alberta has those prices (actually a bit lower) today...

jred2k

sorry to say but alberta has those prices (actually a bit lower) today...

Doesn't Alberta have crazy high food prices compared to Ontario, though? A former co-worker of mine has family there and said when he goes to visit he takes them Cheerios and cheese cause they're so much more there.

zroid

Banned
I'm guessing there are an inordinate number of 3DS eShop purchases by "Albertans" for the sake of PST/HST dodging. I sure am one of them.

SickBoy

Doesn't Alberta have crazy high food prices compared to Ontario, though? A former co-worker of mine has family there and said when he goes to visit he takes them Cheerios and cheese cause they're so much more there.

Unless your friend's family lives in some remote community, I'm guessing he's full of it... :)

I'm sure prices are a little different, but not massively.

jred2k

Unless your friend's family lives in some remote community, I'm guessing he's full of it... :)

I'm sure prices are a little different, but not massively.

They live about 2 hours north of Edmonton from what I remember. Hes also extremely cheap so I'm guessing he was just overstating the difference.

SickBoy

They live about 2 hours north of Edmonton from what I remember. Hes also extremely cheap so I'm guessing he was just overstating the difference.

To be fair, if they're not in a major city they probably do pay more... but I think you'd find that across the country. For the major cities, I'd be surprised if average grocery prices (i.e: for a whole shopping trip) were close to even 10% different.

It depends where you live in Alberta. I'm in Edmonton and the cost of things are generally pretty decent here but if you go farther up north it starts getting a little crazier. Xbox 360 games costing $100 - $110, loaf of bread for $7. That's when you're about 5 hours north of Edmonton though.

Housing costs is where Albertans really pay. Everyone works in the oil and gas industry up north but all of their families live in Edmonton/Calgary. You're lucky if you can find a decent sized family house for under $500 - $600k.

Keyouta

It depends where you live in Alberta. I'm in Edmonton and the cost of things are generally pretty decent here but if you go farther up north it starts getting a little crazier. Xbox 360 games costing $100 - $110, loaf of bread for $7. That's when you're about 5 hours north of Edmonton though.

Housing costs is where Albertans really pay. Everyone works in the oil and gas industry up north but all of their families live in Edmonton/Calgary. You're lucky if you can find a decent sized family house for under $500 - $600k.

What the heck are you talking about, games costing $100, and a loaf of bread for $7? It does not cost that much up here at all.

Where at, specifically, have you experienced this?

House prices are pretty bad though, I'll give you that.

RS4-

Man, I remember when I used to live in Saskatoon back in 05, gas was 30c more than it was compared to Toronto lolol.

What the heck are you talking about, games costing $100, and a loaf of bread for $7? It does not cost that much up here at all.

Where at, specifically, have you experienced this?

House prices are pretty bad though, I'll give you that.

This was up in Wabasca, Zama City and more remote locations. I used to always have to go up there back when I was a junior engineer.

theRizzle

Games can hit $120 here in Nunavut, among other insane prices. ($16 for a thing of Tropicana orange juice, $30 for 12 cans of pop, $26 for a jar of Cheez Whiz)

Games can hit $120 here in Nunavut, among other insane prices. ($16 for a thing of Tropicana orange juice, $30 for 12 cans of pop, $26 for a jar of Cheez Whiz)

I specifically remember taking my 360 up there in 2006 and wanting to get a new game for it - $110 for Saints Row. I was so bored in my hotel room because the Internet was down that I actually bought it.

xclaw

What's shipping like to get something sent up there from say Amazon or is it like once a month dog sled postal delivery?

theRizzle

I specifically remember taking my 360 up there in 2006 and wanting to get a new game for it - $110 for Saints Row. I was so bored in my hotel room because the Internet was down that I actually bought it.

I don't blame you. I have done the same thing. I spent $99 on Battlefield 3 just so I could play online with my buddy. When you have a 2gb monthly cap, you don't get to play very much Battlefield.

What's shipping like to get something sent up there from say Amazon or is it like once a month dog sled postal delivery?

Amazon, FS and BB will ship for free up here like they will anywhere else. Which is okay for me, but a lot of the local people don't have credit cards and the local stores take advantage of them by marking up their prices. All things considered, it actually doesn't take that long. If I order something from Amazon on a Monday, I will usually have it by the following Friday. Weather depending of course.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Given the cost of orange juice, what's alcohol like? Someone must be making a killing up there.

namDa65

Please tell me this is the ugly greatest hits version with the red case. Only to make me feel better since I bought a $12 copy of the original print on craigslist. :/

Most likely yes, used are also 9.99 however so original print may be found in some stores :p.

theRizzle

Given the cost of orange juice, what's alcohol like?

I am lucky enough to live in a place where you can actually get alcohol. I think only Iqaluit has a real bar, and they have a couple different ones. In Rankin Inlet, one of the hotels will serve alcohol for a couple hours in the evening, but only if you are a guest at that hotel. Some communities are completely dry.

Here (Baker Lake, NU) it's semi-regulated. There are no bars. When I want to order alcohol, I have to go down to one of the community buildings (lately it has been at the Radio Station) on Saturday afternoon to place my order. I pay $3 to the person from the Alcohol Committee, and they give me an order form and a printout of the current stock of the liquor place in Rankin Inlet. You can order a maximum of 48 beers, or 2 40oz bottles, or 5 bottles of wine. You can mix and match some things, like 24 beers and 1 40oz bottle. For a regular can of beer, you are paying like 2.35 - 2.60 each, depending on the beer. Then you have to pay tax on it, which is GST + some kind of liquor tax. Then a packing fee. You do all this by writing your credit card info on the order form and they will charge you when it gets sent to you.

It comes by freight, which you also have to pay for. It's about $40 for 48 beers. So total cost you are looking at around $200 for 48 cans of beer.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That's sounds really regulated. Wonder what lengths the massive % of youth drinkers starting at grade 7 go through to get their binges

Gaming still seems like a cheaper way to pass the time. Programs should look into that for the large number of at-risk females (maybe reduce the penchant for smoking too).

isny

napkin dispenser
I've been to the SmoqueShack several times, I'm a big fan. Splitting 4 dishes between the table and having them all be some sort of meat is deeeeelicious.

Yup, great place. Once we find out if Stumpokapow will be able to make lunch or not I'll call and get us a reservation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah I can do SmoqueShack for lunch on the 17th. :)

TheExodu5 has gotten himself into some trouble in the OT so I will try to let him know on Twitter.

Edit: TheExodu5 is confirmed. PM me what time our reservation is (or if it's too early what time you want to make it for) and I'll PM back when I'm on my way up.

Cheerilee

Kerrisdale doesn't count. Sane people don't buy in Kerrisdale. "Money is no object" people buy there for the location (being expensive apparently makes it desirable), and then they bulldoze those little houses and build custom small mansions with big garages and no backyard. And then they realize that money really is an object, so they rent out rooms/basements/garages to poor people who like to pretend that they're rich, living and shopping with the rich people, and their expensive tastes make sure they stay forever poor.

Magnus

Cross-posting from the Xenoblade thread since it's relevant to this thread too:

Heads up: my Gamestop in Toronto just called and said come pick up your Xenoblade now. I said, isn't it out on Friday? Then they told me they're selling now since Friday has reduced hours for the holiday.

Worth checking your local stores!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cross-posting from the Xenoblade thread since it's relevant to this thread too:

Heads up: my Gamestop in Toronto just called and said come pick up your Xenoblade now. I said, isn't it out on Friday? Then they told me they're selling now since Friday has reduced hours for the holiday.

Worth checking your local stores!
Yeah, my store said they're selling them Thursday.

Mikey Jr.

I got my shipping notice for Xenoblade today. So depending on the mail delivery I might not get it until next week :(

Its Canada Post.

Me and you are getting it on Monday. Tuesday if we are really unlucky.

I bash on UPS, but they send that shit out QUICK. We would probably have gotten it tomorrow.

zroid

Banned
I got my shipping notice for Xenoblade today. So depending on the mail delivery I might not get it until next week :(

Its Canada Post.

Me and you are getting it on Monday. Tuesday if we are really unlucky.

I bash on UPS, but they send that shit out QUICK. We would probably have gotten it tomorrow.

Actually EB sends their stuff by Purolator (which is technically operated by Canada Post anyway, but eh). I think it should depend on where you live. The main EB warehouse is in Brampton, and although I'm not certain whether they have additional ones across the country, it's safe to say if you live in the GTA, you're probably getting your game tomorrow.

BTW you won't get it on Monday for sure, because I don't believe Canada Post/Purolator operate on Easter Monday.

Mikey Jr.

Actually EB sends their stuff by Purolator (which is technically operated by Canada Post anyway, but eh). I think it should depend on where you live. The main EB warehouse is in Brampton, and although I'm not certain whether they have additional ones across the country, it's safe to say if you live in the GTA, you're probably getting your game tomorrow.

BTW you won't get it on Monday for sure, because I don't believe Canada Post/Purolator operate on Easter Monday.

f your tracking number starts with D you may check the status of this package by contacting Purolator at 1-888-744-7123, or checking online at http://www.purolator.com/track/multi_track.html

If your tracking number starts with 7 you may check the status of this package online at http://www.canadapost.ca/

Mine starts with a 7.

Also I live in Brampton.

I aint getting shit tomorrow.

zroid

Banned
f your tracking number starts with D you may check the status of this package by contacting Purolator at 1-888-744-7123, or checking online at http://www.purolator.com/track/multi_track.html

If your tracking number starts with 7 you may check the status of this package online at http://www.canadapost.ca/

Mine starts with a 7.

Also I live in Brampton.

I aint getting shit tomorrow.

well that's weird. maybe they use CP for *really* local orders...

What makes you think you won't get it tomorrow, though?

edit: also, my tracking number starts with an "M"!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Maybe if you actually posted any games you have for sale in the B/S/T thread people would? =p

This is a good idea. Though I'd rather just someone come to my house and take games and leave piles of money under my pillow like some sort of used game fairy.

Edit: Whoa just realized there was a small ottawa meetup on the previous page? We should all hang out with out security badges during our government lunches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom