• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know in the lower mainland we have play and trade I think they do rentals... With demos on psn though there is no real need for rentals anymore, unless you want to platinum terminator salvation.

Edit: I ordered my final fantasy 13 on Saturday at about 5 and no cancellation yet...

Firestorm

That's crazy. I'm in BC and never heard of microplay so I guess we're done for rentals? I don't really rent games, but it's nuts that that likely won't be an option at all in a lot of places going forward.
We used to have Microplay here too. Haven't seen one in probably a decade though. Looks like they're owned by Quebecor now.

Cheerilee

We used to have Microplay here too. Haven't seen one in probably a decade though. Looks like they're owned by Quebecor now.

I think the one in Surrey lasted the longest, and then they ditched the franchise and went independent and went on longer still, but they closed somewhat recently.

The one on Victoria was my favorite, but they were one of the first to go. I'm pretty sure I bumped into the store owner in Metrotown a few years ago, so I waved and said "Hey [first name]" and he waved back, but I'm sure I just confused him and he doesn't know the names of all the kids that ran around in his store. :)

On a whim I Googled his name to see if he's been up to anything, and found a local rapist/serial killer. Not the same face though, just someone else with the same name. That must really suck.

I haven't been in a Microplay in years.

My last visit to Microplay:
I bought Forgotten Worlds for the Mega Drive based on the recommendation from a Microplay employee. He told me that it would work on my Genesis if I just filed down the plastic, and that the game was awesome. He was right about filing down the system, but I finished the game in about 40 minutes (you could continue on the second controller infinitely). I remember being very impressed that my mother convinced the guy to exchange it.

The sad coda? My entitled ass exchanged it for Last Battle. Served me right. That was 24 years ago. Yikes.

zroid

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Microplay that used to exist near me was replaced by a Vietnamese restaurant. :U

And it's not even that good!

Kazerei

Banned
I still check out the Microplay in Kitchener from time to time, mainly for their older games. Last time I was there I managed to snag Breath of Fire II and both Golden Sun GBA games, each priced at $15, and there was a B2G1F deal going on. Before that I bought TimeSplitters 2 for $5. Their used game prices are all over the place though. You really have to hunt for the good deals.

krae_man

I got a shipping notice on my Vita card case I ordered to get my total over $20 when I snagged FFXIII-2. Still no confirmation or cancellation on XIII-2 yet.

krae_man

There's one here in saskatchewan in my hometown, It's a great place for games, they have a big used selection and pretty decent prices.

Man I loved mine. They had everything back in the day. You could rent: 32X's, 3DO's, Jaguar's, Jaguar CD's, Virtual Boys the works. I remember going on waiting lists to rent imported PS1 and N64's before they came out here.

I used to go to the Microplay in Mississauga at Square One Mall all the time before it closed down. I used to work in the mall at Tip Top, so I would preorder at Microplay and pick up my games during my break. Come to think of it I think I spent my first ever paycheque there. The staff there was really cool and I much preferred going there instead of EB (which was, and still is in that mall). I loved seeing the stack of yellowed NES's on the back wall lol

Palehorse

Yeah, once Rogers is gone (and there's only one left that I know of) Victoria will be pretty much barren for game rentals.

I still miss my local Blockbuster a lot, as I was close enough to walk to it and renting a blu-ray for the same price as any online streaming service (360, PSN, iTunes, or god help me Telus/Shaw On Demand) was far preferable to suffering through horrible compression artifacts.

That and the game pass was a fantastic way to sample a shit ton of games.

I realize there are a handful of online Gamefly type services in Canada but most are located out east, making them useless.

The one Rogers left in Vic is on Quadra, yeah? I went in a couple times to check out their sales after the closure of the other stores but nothing great going on. Maybe I'll drop in again and see if they're dropping stock.

Oh, and I ordered the LOTR CE from EB but no confirmation of shipping yet, just the order itself.

iphys

BTW, for anyone who was still planning to get a 3DS, the $20 Nintendo Canada rebate ends on the 16th, and Shoppers Drug Mart is doing another 20x points event on the 14th with the 3DS on sale for $150. The Optimum points are worth about $75 if you save them for mega redemption, and I really don't see Nintendo doing another one of these rebates again or lowering the price when it's already about as low as they can put it, so I wouldn't bother holding out for a better deal than this, especially with the 3DS selling so well these days.

Bruiserk

BTW, for anyone who was still planning to get a 3DS, the $20 Nintendo Canada rebate ends on the 16th, and Shoppers Drug Mart is doing another 20x points event on the 14th with the 3DS on sale for $150. The Optimum points are worth about $75 if you save them for mega redemption, and I really don't see Nintendo doing another one of these rebates again or lowering the price when it's already about as low as they can put it, so I wouldn't bother holding out for a better deal than this, especially with the 3DS selling so well these days.

How do their points system work? Is the Optimum card a credit card or just a free membership?

iphys

How do their points system work? Is the Optimum card a credit card or just a free membership?

The basics of earning and redeeming points at Shoppers are listed in the first post of this thread at the bottom. You can sign up for the Optimum card when you make your purchase, and you just have to fill out a form.

Socreges

Banned
The one Rogers left in Vic is on Quadra, yeah? I went in a couple times to check out their sales after the closure of the other stores but nothing great going on. Maybe I'll drop in again and see if they're dropping stock.

Oh, and I ordered the LOTR CE from EB but no confirmation of shipping yet, just the order itself.

I thought there was another near Gorge and Tillicum?

isny

napkin dispenser
We have a bunch of Microplay's here in Ottawa. Three or more I do believe. Used to be more years ago, but they whittled down.

Talking about Ottawa, just found out today we've had a Five Guys for a few months. Guess what my dinner was today? =D

Vamphuntr

Any update from anyone about the gamestop.ca CEs deal? They've charged my card for the LOTR CE but the order status is still as open.

They've basically disappeared around the GTA in the last five years. Ones around here were quite expensive too, so maybe that's why.

*sniff* RIP the location around Leslie Street in Toronto where the Pickle Barrel is, one of my most treasured game stores. :'(

Yep, there is at least one left in Montreal, just past the mall at Angrinon metro (sp?).

The stores aren't what they were in Toronto. And so far they're only stuck with Videotron. The store at Cote Vertu metro just closed a month ago.

Kunohara

*sniff* RIP the location around Leslie Street in Toronto where the Pickle Barrel is, one of my most treasured game stores. :'(

Yep, there is at least one left in Montreal, just past the mall at Angrinon metro (sp?).

The stores aren't what they were in Toronto. And so far they're only stuck with Videotron. The store at Cote Vertu metro just closed a month ago.

Wait, are you talking about Leslie and Finch? Near there? If so, fuck. I live close there and never knew they were there.

krae_man

Nothing on the FFXIII-2 front for me either. I ordered a $6 Vita game case as well to get the free shipping and they sent me that already. I received it today via express Purolator. If they cancel my FFXIII-2 game, the shipping on the Vita game case could have cost them more then I paid for it :lol

StevieP

Banned
It's unfortunate that game rentals won't really be possible next gen... sucks for someone who grew up renting so many games as a child.

I realize there are a handful of online Gamefly type services in Canada but most are located out east, making them useless.

I use GameAccess, and the turn around there is generally 3 days for me. They are in Quebec, I'm in Manitoba, for what it's worth.

Granted, I find that acceptable. I can understand how people might think it's pointless if it gets any longer, though.

I have subbed with them for about 4 years now and I honestly haven't had a single issue. The customer service is fantastic.

----

Gonna have to check on this Rogers B1G1/2 thing and see what's going on at mine tonight. Every time they have done these, my gets have been fantastic. So here's hoping.

kurahadol

Got an email saying my FFXIII-2 order was cancelled, nothing about LotR yet however. My order history still lists both as open though.

kurahadol

Just got an email saying the same for LotR.

I thought I'd get at least one of them, I ordered rather early on. Ah well. RFD is going nuts, the entitlement in that place is absurd.

krae_man

XIII-2 order cancelled for me as well. Hope they enjoyed paying purolator express shipping on that $6 item I bought so Shipping was free.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, my LOTR order died.

Meanwhile, I just blew 200 bucks at Rogers. God damnit. lol

(If anyone manages to find a copy of UMvC3 and needs some filler to get to 3, I wouldn't mind buying off of you!)

Just an FYI for any gamers in here that live in the High Park area. A new store called "Games Mania" is opening up at Bloor/Keele, about 4 units east of the southeast corner.

I just walked by 5 mins ago and there's a bunch of dudes setting up some shitty looking shelves.

In general, do you need to show up with a flyer at futureshop to price match? Can they just check the website or call the store? I'm PM'ing with Best Buy for the $29 LBP special edition.

Just an FYI for any gamers in here that live in the High Park area. A new store called "Games Mania" is opening up at Bloor/Keele, about 4 units east of the southeast corner.

I just walked by 5 mins ago and there's a bunch of dudes setting up some shitty looking shelves.

Yeah, I live right by there. Hope they're the types to break street date. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom