• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

Any good deals on PS3s? Mine died and I need to get a new one. Futureshop's website has a 320gb uncharted bundle with resistance 3 and gow origins dual shock bundle for 299 but if I check store stock it just says unavailable throughout BC.....

Went in-store and the guy was able to bundle a 320GB with GOW Origins DualShock Bundle and Resistance 3 :D

Well, I think that VideoGamePlus hack has started effecting me. Ive gotten mail from both Bell and Fido telling me I owe them money for phone plans that I never signed up for...

Gonna call Bell and Fido in the morning, and I guess my Bank too. such a hassle.

Cake Boss

Banned
I have a stupid question to ask about Amazon and MS points.

If you buy them from Amazon, do they just give you a code to put in right after you checkout or do they actually ship the card to your adress?

jred2k

I have a stupid question to ask about Amazon and MS points.

If you buy them from Amazon, do they just give you a code to put in right after you checkout or do they actually ship the card to your adress?

I'm pretty sure that Amazon ships the cards. I've never ordered points from there, but every other major retailer I've used ships. PCgamesupply.com emails codes and it usually takes around 30 mins. I'm not too sure what a price comparison is like between the two right now, but if you want to the code fast that's what I use.

Kind of an off topic question, but has anybody seen Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray anywhere lately? I looked for it a few days ago and nobody had it around.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is $29.99 pretty much everywhere right now. Amazon, Future Shop, Best Buy and EB. I'm expecting it'll be $19.99 within the next month or so.

Leeness

I just have a question about that BB reward zone...dealie.

I just signed up for it during that Easter sale, so I could get double points and whatever it is... I preordered Kingdom Hearts 3D, Layton and Rhythm Thief, as well as Frozen Planet, on April 6th.

Points balance on the reward site is still 0. Is that normal, since I'm a new member? Or should I be calling them and wondering where my points are? I don't even remember how many points I was supposed to get, haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I just signed up for it during that Easter sale, so I could get double points and whatever it is... I preordered Kingdom Hearts 3D, Layton and Rhythm Thief, as well as Frozen Planet, on April 6th.

Points balance on the reward site is still 0. Is that normal, since I'm a new member? Or should I be calling them and wondering where my points are? I don't even remember how many points I was supposed to get, haha.

You only get the points when the games ship.

You only get points after the game is shipped and after your credit card is charged.
If you were to buy something that isn't a preorder then you would get your points after a month. This policy is put into place so you can't get your points and then return the product.

zroid

Banned

Before contacting them, they have a system set up so you can manually appeal your "missing" points. Just click on "get missing points" from the sidebar, and follow the instructions. You'll need to look up some number on your receipt.

edit: whoops, missed that you said it was a pre-order (and i knew KH3D and Rhythm Thief aren't out yet, so i'm clearly just dumb >_>). yeah, you'll get the points for each item as it ships.

My FFXIII-2 order was cancelled as well, but having just started XIII yesterday I'm kind of glad that it was. I've spent the last 10 hours walking down a corridor mashing X, stopping now and then to listen to some cringe worthy dialogue. I know it's supposed to start slow, but goddamn.

Vamphuntr

Got a 15$ gift card from ebgames.ca because of the refurbished CE deal. They never sent me an email about cancelling my order and it was still "open" so I contacted them about it. That's pretty nice of them I guess.

Anyone had to repair a ps3 in the GTA area? Anything I should look out for? I'd prefer to keep my japanese 60gig if possible but open to the idea of upgrading as well.

Is getting it repaired just extending it's life and it will eventually break again?

I have a japanese ps2 with a japanese game backlog but my tv barely supports RCA so I'd prefer to use my ps3.

isny

napkin dispenser
Anyone had to repair a ps3 in the GTA area? Anything I should look out for? I'd prefer to keep my japanese 60gig if possible but open to the idea of upgrading as well.

Is getting it repaired just extending it's life and it will eventually break again?

I have a japanese ps2 with a japanese game backlog but my tv barely supports RCA so I'd prefer to use my ps3.

Why not get PS2 component cables. They should be available for cheap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Other than the amorphous "Pacific Mall" answer, I think Game-a-rama in Toronto does hardware repairs?

Other than the amorphous "Pacific Mall" answer, I think Game-a-rama in Toronto does hardware repairs?

Do not go to Game-a-rama. There have been numerous complaints about their "repair" jobs. You'll end up paying them $100, they'll use sub standard parts, and your system will breakdown soon after. Then they will tell you that you can trade that broken one in towards a new one and pay the difference.

They basically charge you the same price Sony will charge you to repair. Don't do it!

The one they did for me had a new fan in it that sounded like a jet engine and then my disc drive stopped working (which I never had an issue with before) a couple of weeks later. They gave me a lot of hassle when I brought it back.

sikkinixx

Rogers Video closing sale is on everywhere I think. B1G1 Free on all used games.

Got Rayman, Dark Souls, Skyward Sword and SR3 for $60. Nifty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do not go to Game-a-rama. There have been numerous complaints about their "repair" jobs. You'll end up paying them $100, they'll use sub standard parts, and your system will breakdown soon after. Then they will tell you that you can trade that broken one in towards a new one and pay the difference.

They basically charge you the same price Sony will charge you to repair. Don't do it!

The one they did for me had a new fan in it that sounded like a jet engine and then my disc drive stopped working (which I never had an issue with before) a couple of weeks later. They gave me a lot of hassle when I brought it back.

Ah, well... Pacific Mall it is then. lol

Rogers Video closing sale is on everywhere I think. B1G1 Free on all used games.

Got Rayman, Dark Souls, Skyward Sword and SR3 for $60. Nifty.
B1G2 you mean?

Also, if for some reason people need extra games in order to make their Rogers video experience worth it, I'm willing to buy UMvC3 and Syndicate off you!

Ah, well... Pacific Mall it is then. lol

B1G2 you mean?

Also, if for some reason people need extra games in order to make their Rogers video experience worth it, I'm willing to buy UMvC3 and Syndicate off you!

It was B1G1 at the store I went to. I think some stores are having different sales than others. The ones closing down are B1G2 while others are having renovation B1G1 sales.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I avoid Gamerama for other reasons (terrible service, unclean store), but it's good to know there's even more reasons to avoid it.

Quick

Banned

Rinoa on the Toronto-Age OT posted complaints about the store, and the store owner replying to it. Based on that, I'm with the Doctor here. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

There's plenty at Pacific Mall, and they (probably) charge around the same price.

isny

napkin dispenser
Rinoa on the Toronto-Age OT posted complaints about the store, and the store owner replying to it. Based on that, I'm with the Doctor here. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

There's plenty at Pacific Mall, and they (probably) charge around the same price.

Seriously though, like I said, it's so much easier and cheaper to just get a PS2 component cable if he really just wants to play his PS2 import backlog.

Pmall and such are just too sketchy and expensive.

Quick

Banned
Seriously though, like I said, it's so much easier and cheaper to just get a PS2 component cable if he really just wants to play his PS2 import backlog.

Pmall and such are just too sketchy and expensive.

Or yeah, a component cable. As scumbaggy as Game-a-Rama seems to be, Pacific Mall can be real dicks about their service.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was B1G1 at the store I went to. I think some stores are having different sales than others. The ones closing down are B1G2 while others are having renovation B1G1 sales.
Weird. The store I go to is still sticking around, but it's B1G2. I guess it depends on traffic or something.

thanks for the suggestions. For cables, it is something like this right?

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004N7SIW8/

I was in Japan when the last gen rolled around so I have no system to play DVDs (region lock bullshit at work) except my NA ps2 so I'd definitely need good cables.

I was thinking about whether I need a new ps3 or not (nothing announced that looks interesting) but then I realized I would like ad hoc party for my psp/vita. So it's risk a reball off kijiji or get a slim. Pacific mall is kinda far for me (busing it from Mississauga) so I'm thinking of having my ps3 reballed around union station. The prices I have been seeing are around 60 dollars as well.

When something breaks I like an upgrade so I don't feel so bad about it though.

On a separate note, has anyone talked to any shop staff to know if Gravity Rush is being released with DLC in Canada as well as the US? Amazon's page doesn't reflect this.

zroid

Banned
confound it! went to rogers this morning and all they had left were a small pile of xbox 360 games and some wii shovelware. there were like 4 ps3 games left in the store :(

to clear out that much inventory in one day, it must have been a madhouse.

So I ordered The Witcher 2 using my promo code from the Tsilon.ca promotion from Futureshop over a month ago, check to see if my order shipped since it was released today and see that the game is somehow 'Out of Stock' online but available in-store for only $49.99 now. How can it be out of stock (i actually checked late last night) online if the game was just released today? I ordered over a month ago, I should be getting the game.

Riptwo

So I ordered The Witcher 2 using my promo code from the Tsilon.ca promotion from Futureshop over a month ago, check to see if my order shipped since it was released today and see that the game is somehow 'Out of Stock' online but available in-store for only $49.99 now. How can it be out of stock (i actually checked late last night) online if the game was just released today? I ordered over a month ago, I should be getting the game.

This is pretty common with Future Shop online preorders. Expect an apology email stating that there were stock difficulties and a coupon shortly. I have no idea why this happens so frequently, but it's really obnoxious.

This is pretty common with Future Shop online preorders. Expect an apology email stating that there were stock difficulties and a coupon shortly. I have no idea why this happens so frequently, but it's really obnoxious.

Well, shit, there goes my plans for today and the foreseeable future.

Quick

Banned
I just picked up The Witcher 2 at Future Shop for $49.99 after returning my copy from EB Games, which was selling it for $59.99. I also got to keep the pre-order keychain.

As far as I know, there aren't any differences between copies from EB and FS/Best Buy. Is there some sort of promo at both FS and BB to have it at $49.99?

I just picked up The Witcher 2 at Future Shop for $49.99 after returning my copy from EB Games, which was selling it for $59.99. I also got to keep the pre-order keychain.

As far as I know, there aren't any differences between copies from EB and FS/Best Buy. Is there some sort of promo at both FS and BB to have it at $49.99?

I thought $49.99 was the MSRP.

I thought $49.99 was the MSRP.

When I initially ordered it (early last month) it was listed online for $59.99 but you got $5 off for pre-ordering. I think it only recently dropped to $49.99. Granted, this meant nothing to me because I used my promo code from Tsilon.ca but the price did drop leading up to release for whatever reason.

Palehorse

Just dropped in to the Rogers in Victoria, they are having a B1G1 sale.

They had a decent selection left, I grabbed

Space Marine
AssCreed BroHood
Dark Souls
Gears 3
Prototype
Nier

for $70

Rayman Origins is on sale now for $19.99 across all consoles (not Vita version obviously) at Best Buy. I will probably pick up a copy later today since I got some reward zone certificates I need to use up.

Magnus

I second the scumbaggy-nature of the store, but have also run into some decent people behind the counter there.

I actually had my launch PS3 60gb repaired there when it YLOD'd. Cheaper than Sony, and works again just fine. I haven't made rigorous use of it though, since I moved to a newer slim ever since that 60 YLOD'd.

Socreges

Banned
Just dropped in to the Rogers in Victoria, they are having a B1G1 sale.

They had a decent selection left, I grabbed

Space Marine
AssCreed BroHood
Dark Souls
Gears 3
Prototype
Nier

for $70
Any more copies of Gears 3 or Dark Souls?

Sera O, don't touch those two if you beat me there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom