• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Has anyone here upgraded their PS3 hard drive? If I do a back up, take the old hard drive out, put the bigger one in, then do a restore will it restore everything fine, or am I going to have to deactivate my system, put the new hard drive in and reactivate it and redownload everything?
I watched the following video before I did it. It shows a phat PS3 but it's the same for a slim. The only difference is where the HDD is in the PS3. I used an external HDD to back it up so I didn't have to download anything again. Just remember to sync your trophies before starting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2d3JCMHL4o

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Has anyone here upgraded their PS3 hard drive? If I do a back up, take the old hard drive out, put the bigger one in, then do a restore will it restore everything fine, or am I going to have to deactivate my system, put the new hard drive in and reactivate it and redownload everything?

I deleted all of my game installs then plugged my PS3 to another PS3 with an Ethernet cable, transferred everything over then upgraded the HDD in the first PS3 and transferred everything back from my second PS3. I deleted the installs because it takes forever with 60GB+.

I went with the PS3 to PS3 back to PS3 transfer route as it copies everything. That includes all your PSN games and file protected saves as opposed to the PS3 to external HDD back to PS3 method. Either way sync your trophies beforehand and if you do go with my method just follow the simple instructions in the System Settings and you'll be fine... just hope there's no power outage (trust me it's not lolz).

Fuzzy

I went with the PS3 to PS3 back to PS3 transfer route as it copies everything. That includes all your PSN games and file protected saves as opposed to the PS3 to external HDD back to PS3 method.
Using an external HDD transfers everything also.

Cactus

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good game store in the GTA other than Game Centre that still buys and sells SNES games?

And please don't say A & C Games. I don't feel like getting ripped off.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Can anyone recommend a good game store in the GTA other than Game Centre that still buys and sells SNES games?

Gamerama, although I don't recommend them. Betting Game Shack at the Atrium by the Bay still buys them. And Video Games Plus most likely. You're not going to get value at any store relative to what you can sell them for online, or craigslist, etc. Sad that you had a bad A&C experience.

Cactus

Banned
Gamerama, although I don't recommend them. Betting Game Shack at the Atrium by the Bay still buys them. And Video Games Plus most likely. You're not going to get value at any store relative to what you can sell them for online, or craigslist, etc. Sad that you had a bad A&C experience.

They're just so damn expensive! Last summer they wanted $90 for a SNES and one controller, which is more than I ended up paying online for a bundle that included one working SNES, one broken SNES, three controllers, three games, and a boxed Super Scope without the receiver.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll definitely check out VGP. I actually wasn't aware that they had a location in the GTA.

No deal but I checked out Game Mania at Keele and Bloor. Not a bad startup. The prices were decent and they're working towards building a good selection of retro titles from what I can tell. The size of the store is good as well and the employees were never intrusive which I appreciated.

They had a large screen tv setup at the front with Street Fighter X Tekken playable on it. If they play their cards right they could be a reasonably priced A & C. New selection was sparse but the girl behind the counter told me they still didn't have all their stock in.

In the back they had a really good "rare games" display. Metroid Prime Trilogy was $95 and a lot of other games in the display. Not sure I would pay $100 for a Dark Souls collector's edition.

I was surprised to see a Moto GP 2010/11 for around $15 there. I haven't seen that on the shelf... ever.

See above. Didn't take a close enough look at their prices on SNES games. Might have another look later this week. Don't give GameRama any business. I was swindled on a PS3 repair there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
No deal but I checked out Game Mania at Keele and Bloor. Not a bad startup. The prices were decent and they're working towards building a good selection of retro titles from what I can tell. The size of the store is good as well and the employees were never intrusive which I appreciated.

They had a large screen tv setup at the front with Street Fighter X Tekken playable on it. If they play their cards right they could be a reasonably priced A & C. New selection was sparse but the girl behind the counter told me they still didn't have all their stock in.

In the back they had a really good "rare games" display. Metroid Prime Trilogy was $95 and a lot of other games in the display. Not sure I would pay $100 for a Dark Souls collector's edition.

I was surprised to see a Moto GP 2010/11 for around $15 there. I haven't seen that on the shelf... ever.

Will them check out later this week.. thanks for letting us know they're open.

krae_man

I recommend Lukiegames on ebay. They have great prices and low shipping costs to Canada. I've bought tons of retro games from them.

Zzoram

Futureshop it is I guess.

Was hoping to save more money.

I lucked out and got Starcraft 2 for $27.49 because I got $5 off so it was $54.99 but since they didn't send me a promised beta code and I called 3 times to complain, they gave me another 50% off.

Firestorm

Futureshop it is I guess.

Was hoping to save more money.

I lucked out and got Starcraft 2 for $27.49 because I got $5 off so it was $54.99 but since they didn't send me a promised beta code and I called 3 times to complain, they gave me another 50% off.
Could also always sell the steelbook which should fetch $20 - $30 around launch if it's Future Shop exclusive (aka Canada exclusive) like a lot of the steelbooks are.

Trade 1, Get Mortal Kombat for Vita - Next week at FS

Been waiting to pick up something new for my Vita, seems like a good deal.

I will be doing this. Hope my experience isn't the same as last time they had one of these trade 1 deals. I basically had to show them the promo on their website and then sit with them while they walked through the process of honouring the deal. Took 30 minutes to do the trade.

krae_man

There's a VGL live stream press release for their next canadian tour tonight at 9pm and they will giving out presale passwords.

www.twitch.tv/videogameslive

Anyone from KW interested in going to the show and doing a meetup? Or the Toronto people could come here too if a Sunday works better for you.
Edit: dates

October 25, 2012 Toronto, ON Massey Hall 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
October 26, 2012 Montreal, QC Bell Centre 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
October 28, 2012 Kitchener, ON Centre In The Square 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
October 29, 2012 Ottawa, ON National Arts Centre 8 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
October 31, 2012 Winnipeg, MB Centennial Concert Hall 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
November 1, 2012 Saskatoon, SK TCU Place 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
November 2, 2012 Regina, SK Conexus Arts Centre 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
November 3, 2012 Calgary, AB South Jubilee Auditorium 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
November 4, 2012 Edmonton, AB North Jubilee Auditorium 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25
November 6, 2012 Vancouver, BC Orpheum Theatre 7:30 PM PRE-SALE 4/25

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Went to the Toronto VGL a number of years ago. It was entertaining, although you shouldn't be expecting anything too grand. I imagine it'll be a good spot for my 3DS Steetpassing. :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Warning to those who are afraid of heights: National Arts Center's font row elevated (Ampitheatre, Balcony) seats are the scariest things in the world. Railings go to just a bit above my knees. Pray it isn't Southam Hall.

isny

napkin dispenser
Warning to those who are afraid of heights: National Arts Center's font row elevated (Ampitheatre, Balcony) seats are the scariest things in the world. Railings go to just a bit above my knees. Pray it isn't Southam Hall.

I'd much rather have that than the Civic Centre again. That place is garbage and has garbage acoustics.

Went to the Toronto VGL a number of years ago. It was entertaining, although you shouldn't be expecting anything too grand. I imagine it'll be a good spot for my 3DS Steetpassing. :p

I went to vgl in Vancouver and would echo this. Worth the money once but not the most amazing concert I've ever seen. I especially loathed ending with
one winged angel
good I get it but its not even close to being the best song on the soundtrack, fucking fanboysssss

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Yes, Ottawa, but how much are the tickets? That guy looks like the Hulk actor. National Arts Centre, like others have said, has shitty architecture, so anything that plays there will be underwhelming. UoOttawa professors have told us, countless times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I've been twice and it's alright. Unless they've drastically changed the line-up though, I'm not sure if I'll make the trek to make it. The last show in Toronto didn't sell out though, if you didn't mind sitting in the nosebleeds. lol

zroid

Banned
Yeah, I've been twice and it's alright. Unless they've drastically changed the line-up though, I'm not sure if I'll make the trek to make it. The last show in Toronto didn't sell out though, if you didn't mind sitting in the nosebleeds. lol

It sounds like they actually have changed it quite substantially since the last four(?) times it came to Toronto.

"In October 2012, Video Games Live will return to Canada with a new show. All new segments will include music from Final Fantasy, Zelda, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Pokemon, Warcraft, Diablo III, Earthworm Jim, Mass Effect and more. "

Still, I've seen it three times already (once was the free show at Dundas Square), and though I wouldn't mind going again, one video game concert is enough per year, I think (Zelda, of course!)

Firestorm

It sounds like they actually have changed it quite substantially since the last four(?) times it came to Toronto.

"In October 2012, Video Games Live will return to Canada with a new show. All new segments will include music from Final Fantasy, Zelda, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Pokemon, Warcraft, Diablo III, Earthworm Jim, Mass Effect and more. "

Still, I've seen it three times already (once was the free show at Dundas Square), and though I wouldn't mind going again, one video game concert is enough per year, I think (Zelda, of course!)
oh shit

Fuzzy

From CAG, Flyers April 27-May 3

TRU
- Buy 1, Get 1 for 30% off (of equal or lesser value), all videogames, excluding clearance

Shoppers Drug Mart
Get 18,500 Bonus Points (Sat to Mon) when you spend $75 or more (That's a $25 savings value!)
PS3 160gb - $229.99
25% off Nintendo or Playstation games (selected titles)
25% off Nintendo Intec gaming accessories

FutureShop
$39.99 games - PS3/360 (BF3, SSX, FIFA Street, FIFA Soccer 12, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Reckoning)

PS Vita w/bonus BT headset - $249.99
Mortal Kombat Vita - $39.99

XBox wireless controller - $44.99
XBox BT headset - $49.99
Xbox Wireless Speed Wheel - $59.99
Driving Force GT wheel - $99.99
Xbox 250gb Value Bundle - $299.99 (c/w COD:WAW, Splinter Cell Conviction, Fable 3, HALO Reach)
Kinect Sensor bundle - $129.99

$20 gaming credit towards GTAV when you preorder Max Payne 3
Bonus Steelbook with preorder of either Diablo 3 or Ghost Recon Future Soldier

BestBuy
Bonus Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with purchase of any Xbox 360
XBox wireless controller - $44.99
Kinect Sensor bundle - $129.99
XBox BT headset - $59.99
XBox 320gb Drive and Lego Star Wars III - $119.99

PS Vita w/bonus case - $249.99
Mortal Kombat Vita - $39.99
Twisted Metal - $39.99
UC3 - $39.99
R&C All 4 One - $39.99

2 for $30 games (over 80 titles to choose from, check online and instore for details)
ME2, Batman:AA, GTAIV, Skate 3, Barbie Jet Set & Style, just to name some of the notable titles shown

Call of Duty sale
MW3 - $49.99
COD:BLOPS - $29.99
MW2 - $19.99

Best Buy Reward Zone Gamers Club (April 23-29 only)
- Coupon for $10 off any $30+ videogame (excluding sale items)
http://image.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/lib/fec9167375630178/m/2/RWZCA_20120420_Diablo3_EN.pdf

isny

napkin dispenser
Yes, Ottawa, but how much are the tickets? That guy looks like the Hulk actor. National Arts Centre, like others have said, has shitty architecture, so anything that plays there will be underwhelming. UoOttawa professors have told us, countless times.

Your post is so random and incoherent, lol

Anyways, I decided to pass on Ottawa tickets. Last year I paid $65 total per ticket, and this year equivalent seats would cost almost $100 with tax.

I'm sure it's due to the venue change, but the show isn't worth $100 in my books, and I'm not going to pay $75 for nosebleed or impaired viewing seats.

krae_man

Your post is so random and incoherent, lol

Anyways, I decided to pass on Ottawa tickets. Last year I paid $65 total per ticket, and this year equivalent seats would cost almost $100 with tax.

I'm sure it's due to the venue change, but the show isn't worth $100 in my books, and I'm not going to pay $75 for nosebleed or impaired viewing seats.

Were you looking at a scalper site or something?

The most expensive tickets are $78 including service charges and the cheapest ones are $53.

Buy them here:

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/1000489185865817

Use one of these passwords:

up2down2

uuddlrlrba

u2d2lrlrba

isny

napkin dispenser
Were you looking at a scalper site or something?

The most expensive tickets are $78 including service charges and the cheapest ones are $53.

Buy them here:

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/1000489185865817

Use one of these passwords:

up2down2

uuddlrlrba

u2d2lrlrba

There's a $4 service charge on top of the $78, so the cost would be $82.25, which is way too close to $100. Again, I paid $65 taxes and service charges in for a similar seat last year.

In regards to the $53 tickets, as I mentioned, those are in the nosebleed/obstructed viewing areas =(

It's fine, it won't kill me to miss out on the show, I've seen the real show twice, and seen the Blizzcon one twice, so I've had my fair share of VGL anyways =)

Sera O

Banned
I went to vgl in Vancouver and would echo this. Worth the money once but not the most amazing concert I've ever seen. I especially loathed ending with
one winged angel
good I get it but its not even close to being the best song on the soundtrack, fucking fanboysssss

Total agreement. I went to VGL in Victoria in - I think - 2009, and I think they closed with that song as well. The symphony did a good job, but I didn't feel it was a great program to begin with. The part I enjoyed most was a medley from Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross. It was fun, but I didn't go with super high expectations.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't "heeeere's Tommy Tallarico!" over and over. Watching him hump the air ecstatically in guitar-god pose while repetitively playing one power-chord was a bit embarrassing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Hrm, at least it's something new. That line up isn't all that inspiring to me though... but mostly because they've done all the ones that I'd want already. lol

zroid

Banned
Hrm, at least it's something new. That line up isn't all that inspiring to me though... but mostly because they've done all the ones that I'd want already. lol

I like that Tommy and Jack have inserted their own music into the setlist this time, in the forms of Earthworm Jim and Mass Effect. Personal touch :)

I wonder how much they'll play that up during the performance, if at all.

krae_man

Total agreement. I went to VGL in Victoria in - I think - 2009, and I think they closed with that song as well. The symphony did a good job, but I didn't feel it was a great program to begin with. The part I enjoyed most was a medley from Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross. It was fun, but I didn't go with super high expectations.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't "heeeere's Tommy Tallarico!" over and over. Watching him hump the air ecstatically in guitar-god pose while repetitively playing one power-chord was a bit embarrassing.

No way, the worst part is playing Halo Music and having someone run on stage in full Master Chief armor with a Red or Blue Flag...And the crowd cheers it. It's beyond dumb and embarrassing.

isny

napkin dispenser
No way, the worst part is playing Halo Music and having someone run on stage in full Master Chief armor with a Red or Blue Flag...And the crowd cheers it. It's beyond dumb and embarrassing.

That's what gets all the bro's to buy tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom