• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh man if it was Diablo 3 heads would be rolling.
Haha, probably.

Although this was a 3TB hard drive, so I'm out more money if the shipping company wants to be dickish about it - since technically, it's not their fault that UPS fucked up.

How do you know if they mis-shipped? You can call their claims department.
They told me that they put it on the wrong truck at a warehouse and that it was in a bulk shipment to Rogers. They're just washing their hands of the whole thing in terms of say, going to Rogers, demanding the package back, and actually shipping it back to me. They want me to deal with the actual company that I bought the product from.

amrod

Man. Anyone have this happen to them before? UPS completely mis-shipped my package to another person and now I'm totally fucked. God damn.

Happened to me... with my Coffee from futureshop, I ended up with someone's order that was suppost to be a wii, but was some cleaner bags :(

They told me that they put it on the wrong truck at a warehouse and that it was in a bulk shipment to Rogers. They're just washing their hands of the whole thing in terms of say, going to Rogers, demanding the package back, and actually shipping it back to me. They want me to deal with the actual company that I bought the product from.
WTF? I'd be livid. They know exactly where it is but won't get it? That's fucked.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Happened to me... with my Coffee from futureshop, I ended up with someone's order that was suppost to be a wii, but was some cleaner bags :(
Heh, actually, I got a game with someone else's invoice inside. It was the same game that I wanted, so I figured no harm no foul.

WTF? I'd be livid. They know exactly where it is but won't get it? That's fucked.
Yeah, it is. But I can't do shit about it. This is the first time I broke my own "no couriers" rule because of a deal and I feel like this is a sign that I have wronged the gods somehow. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Heh, actually, I got a game with someone else's invoice inside. It was the same game that I wanted, so I figured no harm no foul.

Yeah, it is. But I can't do shit about it. This is the first time I broke my own "no couriers" rule because of a deal and I feel like this is a sign that I have wronged the gods somehow. :p
Who did you order the the HDD from? UPS is right that you should be dealing with them since you're not UPS's customer, who you bought it from is their customer. Contact who you bought it from and get them to refund you or ship you another one and let them deal with UPS.

Archaon

Man. Anyone have this happen to them before? UPS completely mis-shipped my package to another person and now I'm totally fucked. God damn.
The same thing just happened to me this week with a book shipment from Amazon.ca. Tracking showed the item was delivered, but I never received anything, so I gave UPS a call. After ensuring them I looked all over at the front door and there was no signs of a UPS driver being there, they said they would call the driver and see if he can think of where it would be. A couple of days later he showed up with the delivery saying that he had delivered it to another house with a similar street name. The area he told me it was delivered to would've had a different postal code on top of the different street name...don't these guys have GPS? It was a different UPS driver than I'm used to in the area. At least in my case I got it back, which probably relied on the honesty of the people it was delivered to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Who did you order the the HDD from? UPS is right that you should be dealing with them since you're not UPS's customer, who you bought it from is their customer. Contact who you bought it from and get them to refund you or ship you another one and let them deal with UPS.
Yeah, it looks like I'm going to get another replacement. Here's hoping I get a tracking number from them soon though. Certainly this isn't something I really want to chase them around for, but at least they seem to be doing the right thing.

The same thing just happened to me this week with a book shipment from Amazon.ca. Tracking showed the item was delivered, but I never received anything, so I gave UPS a call. After ensuring them I looked all over at the front door and there was no signs of a UPS driver being there, they said they would call the driver and see if he can think of where it would be. A couple of days later he showed up with the delivery saying that he had delivered it to another house with a similar street name. The area he told me it was delivered to would've had a different postal code on top of the different street name...don't these guys have GPS? It was a different UPS driver than I'm used to in the area. At least in my case I got it back, which probably relied on the honesty of the people it was delivered to.
Yeah, I don't understand how this stuff happens. Human error is a frightening thing.

Shadow of the Damned for 15$ at Walmart (with option of pricematching at BB), worth it?
For 15 you can't really go wrong. I picked it up for around that much when Zavvi was clearing it out.

You guys do know that all Rogers locations have gone from Buy 1 Get 1 to Buy 1 Get 2 as of yesterday?

There were only some $59.99 used games left. At buy 1 get 1 I wasn't interested but at Buy 1 get 2 I grabbed Darkness II, Kingdoms of Amalur and Soul Calibur V. I'm not sure if the Darkness II had even been rented.

Retail movies are all 50% off. Some are WAY OVERPRICED as per Rogers but there are good deals to be found.

Kazerei

Banned
Was Super Paper Mario a bit of a disappointment? What made it worse than TTYD?

It's a platformer with RPG elements, completely different gameplay from the previous Paper Mario games. People expecting an RPG were disappointed.

Personally I thought it was alot of fun. It had good level design, neat visuals, quirky humor, and a satisfying amount of content.

krae_man

It's a platformer with RPG elements, completely different gameplay from the previous Paper Mario games. People expecting an RPG were disappointed.

Personally I thought it was alot of fun. It had good level design, neat visuals, quirky humor, and a satisfying amount of content.

And godawful non stop text reading. Giant wall of text after giant wall of text with mario going "noa", "yea" the entire time. I couldn't make it past two or three hearts or whatever it was you collected.

Was Super Paper Mario a bit of a disappointment? What made it worse than TTYD?

It was quite possibly the laziest game I've ever seen Nintendo make. By the 3rd level you've seen everything the game has to offer and it just continues on in a mindless, lazy slog. I forced myself to finish it because I paid full price for it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, even at that price.

zroid

Banned
Time to get Undead Nightmare, finally!

--

^ re: Super Paper Mario, I personally liked it quite a bit. It's certainly at the lower-to-mid tier of first-party Nintendo, but still a thoroughly enjoyable game, full of humour and style. It's also set apart by its unique concept, so can't say I have too many complaints with the game.

I'm dying for KoA:R to go on sale here. I didn't grab it when it was $39 last time and now I just got platinum on FFXIII-2 and need a new game.

Maybe I'll dig through my backlog.

Big Chungus

Went to trade in 2 games for Diablo 3 at Futureshop...the guy told me I couldn't since the game wasn't out yet but at the futureshop site it says "Trade 2 get it free...preorder now!".

The fuck.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Went to trade in 2 games for Diablo 3 at Futureshop...the guy told me I couldn't since the game wasn't out yet but at the futureshop site it says "Trade 2 get it free...preorder now!".

The fuck.

Try again with another store and / or employee.

You can only do trades when the game is released. You may be able to do it on Friday (when the new flyer is up). Maybe they can override it and put the value of the game on a gift card.

Big Chungus

You can only do trades when the game is released. You may be able to do it on Friday (when the new flyer is up). Maybe they can override it and put the value of the game on a gift card.

Yeah I hope so, the guy said I can trade in teh games at the midnight launch but I really don't want to do that...it's going to be crazy.

Gila

Futureshop is fucking horrible at times, I bought a Razr Deathadder one time and it ended up being defective, when I went the next day to exchange it the cashier said that we have 4 in stock and if I could go grab it from the other side of the store and bring it back she can exchange it. I said I already checked and there weren't any on display, it must be in your back inventory. She paged the gaming sales associate to check on display, when he showed up he literally said "oh I've never even seen that mouse but I'll take a look" I replied "I've already checked, but feel free to find a mouse you've never seen" and he noticed my sarcastic voice and knew I was getting impatient. And he returned obviously by saying we don't have any at the moment, it must be a typo in the system. At that point, I knew these guys were fucking useless, so I asked for the manager, who came calmly and addressed the situation. All he did was go back into their storage or whatever and bring out one that wasn't put on fucking display. It took 2 mins.

Holy fuck Coquitlam Futureshop, never again.

/rant

The sales associate sounds a bit lazy, but this story doesn't exactly paint you in the best light either...

Yes true, but you can see my reasoning to my actions. It all could of been avoidable with some actual work on their parts

Futureshop is fucking horrible at times, I bought a Razr Deathadder one time and it ended up being defective, when I went the next day to exchange it the cashier said that we have 4 in stock and if I could go grab it from the other side of the store and bring it back she can exchange it. I said I already checked and there weren't any on display, it must be in your back inventory. She paged the gaming sales associate to check on display, when he showed up he literally said "oh I've never even seen that mouse but I'll take a look" I replied "I've already checked, but feel free to find a mouse you've never seen" and he noticed my sarcastic voice and knew I was getting impatient. And he returned obviously by saying we don't have any at the moment, it must be a typo in the system. At that point, I knew these guys were fucking useless, so I asked for the manager, who came calmly and addressed the situation. All he did was go back into their storage or whatever and bring out one that wasn't put on fucking display. It took 2 mins.

Holy fuck Coquitlam Futureshop, never again.

/rant

The sales associate sounds a bit lazy, but this story doesn't exactly paint you in the best light either...

Yes true, but you can see my reasoning to my actions. It all could of been avoidable with some actual work on their parts

I don't disagree with this.

zroid

Banned
If it were me in that situation, I probably would have just grabbed the new unit before even going to the customer service desk ^_~

---oh I just noticed you said you checked already. Well, that's silly.

Some (lukewarm) DS/3DS deals, for those interested:

DS
$19.99 - Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2 - Best Buy & Amazon.ca
$19.99 - Fossil Fighters Champions - Best Buy
$14.99 - Aliens Infestation - EB
----- first two still $30 to $35 elsewhere

3DS
$14.93 - Tetris Axis - Amazon.ca (Sold by Amazon)
$14.99 - Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - Future Shop
$14.99 - Samurai Warriors Chronicles - Best Buy
$14.99 - PES 2011 3D - Best Buy
$19.99 - Street Fighter IV 3D - Best Buy
$23.00 - Nintendogs & Cats: French Bulldog - Amazon.ca (Sold by Amazon)
$26.30 - Nintendogs & Cats: Toy Poodle - Amazon.ca (Sold by Amazon)
$29.00 - Nintendogs & Cats: Gold. Retriever - Amazon.ca (Sold by Amazon)
----- Nintendogs & Cats regularly $30 to $40 elsewhere

RS4-

Lol FS. My D3 CE was supposed to come with the steel book when I pre ordered it.

Come today when I ask about it to be sure they say no.

Lolol. I guess I'll have to keep my EB order instead. Awful.

zroid

Banned
Lol FS. My D3 CE was supposed to come with the steel book when I pre ordered it.

Come today when I ask about it to be sure they say no.

Lolol. I guess I'll have to keep my EB order instead. Awful.

Pretty sure FS was explicit since the beginning that CE pre-orders don't come with the Steelbook. The only legitimate way to get both is by going to a midnight launch. If someone told you otherwise, they were misinformed

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, I think Stump wanted to go to Video Games Live in Ottawa this October...anyone else? I think I might look into it myself.
My girlfriend wants to go. Looking at the song list, I'm not sure. I don't recognise three quarters of the tracks. And despite knowing all the songs at the Star Wars concert two years ago at Scotiabank, I was still slightly underwhelmed.

zroid

Banned

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Microsoft Office Professional 2010 for $11CAD.

Details here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/blazing-hot-ms-office-2010-pro-11-only-details-inside-1174641/

Works for various university and work email addresses (U of T worked for me).

Gives you a product-key and download link.

FWIW, this has been running for at least a year, it's just normally done through the university itself rather than as a site you pop into.

It should support uOttawa, UCalgary, UBC and many others.

FWIW, this has been running for at least a year, it's just normally done through the university itself rather than as a site you pop into.

It should support uOttawa, UCalgary, UBC and many others.

Windows 7 is the same price, but I think you have to do it through the school as opposed to a website. Got both Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2010 for $23 after tax when my friend worked at Sheridan College.

TheExodu5

Banned
OttawaGAF: anyone going to Billings Bridge Diablo 3 midnight launch? Wasn't going to go, but the game only starts up at 3AM so I might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom