• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
Got everything from FS including my E3 orders =)

ivjLPl.jpg

suikodan

It was shipped last friday too and it's now out for delivery! Good thing my wife's currently in her parental leave.

Yeah, I also put my wife on watch mode for the delivery scheduled today.

I ordered it on October of last year. o_0

LIVE UPDATE: Package got in and she also spotted Bell techicians installing the Fibe service in my neighborhood. Can't wait to switch!!!

f96590b3.jpg

MDSLKTR

I did, mine says the same thing. It says I'll get it this Friday. I really hope that's not the case.

Mine says it should come next monday (QC here)... And even if I get it friday no one will be able to meet the postman to pick up the notice. My plans for a diablo weekend are pretty much ruined unless there's a divine intervention...

DJ_Lae

No e-mail but the site says my D3 has shipped this morning - via Canada Post, so they've finally learned their E3 lesson I guess.

At least, I think the last game on that order came through Purolator (Mass Effect 3).

isny

napkin dispenser
Mine says it should come next monday (QC here)... And even if I get it friday no one will be able to meet the postman to pick up the notice. My plans for a diablo weekend are pretty much ruined unless there's a divine intervention...

I was giving away guest passes in the D3 thread. Shoot me a PM with your email address and if I have another one here in the next few minutes I'll hook you up with one.

iLLmAtlc

Vancouver here and my brother's copy of D3 just shipped. The site didn't update but I got an e-mail. Shipping notices should be incoming for Vancouver if they haven't been sent out already!

Got charged last Thursday for Standard D3 copy on Best Buy.
Site still says "in progress" though, and I still haven't received an e-mail.

Should I panic?

Ugh do I really want to line up at FS for the steelbook :(

The thing is, you're never going to use it. Once you have the cd key and use it on battle.net. You never have to go back to that disc. Anytime I buy a PC retail game I never even look at the disc. I just pull out the cd-key and find the online site that will let me use it to download a copy.

RS4-

The thing is, you're never going to use it. Once you have the cd key and use it on battle.net. You never have to go back to that disc. Anytime I buy a PC retail game I never even look at the disc. I just pull out the cd-key and find the online site that will let me use it to download a copy.

Yeah it's just one of those things I'd like to have. It's bad enough that I got the Forza 4 CE just for the "art" book and steelbook. Did the same for Gears with the statue (which I've yet to unwrap) and was really close to doing the same for Guild Wars 2 statue but ehhh

I'll just deal with going to EB for my CE lol.

Presco

If you carry a balance, Capital One's Smartline Platinum is the lowest interest rate of any Canadian card.

If you don't carry a balance, then you really need to ask yourself if you prefer travel rewards or cash rewards as your reward. I think the top two cards offered right now are the MBNA Smart Cash and the CapitalOne Aspire World Travel card. I think the top tier Scotia rewards card is half-decent as well. Some cards have bonuses (5% back on gas/groceries for first 6 months) while others stick to a flat rate for all purchases, so it depends on what you use your cards for mostly.

Great suggestions! I use these two cards exclusively. Smart Cash for gas and groceries since it's 3% cash back for those purchases, Aspire World Travel for everything else. The Aspire card comes with amazing travel insurance coverage and 2% return to be used for any sort of travel, plus a sizable sign up bonus. It was $500 when I signed up but I think it's down to $350 now. Costs $120/year but you get $100 for reward every year on the anniversary of your sign up, so actually costs $20/year. I think Aspire requires 70k personal or 100k household income.

edit - to make this somewhat related to gaming deals discussion, any word on whether we will be seeing the Steam cards at EB / Gamestop? Don't really bother with any of their nonsense these days but I'd trade in a bunch of stuff for some Steam credit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aspire World Travel for everything else. The Aspire card comes with amazing travel insurance coverage and 2% return to be used for any sort of travel, plus a sizable sign up bonus. It was $500 when I signed up but I think it's down to $350 now. Costs $120/year but you get $100 for reward every year on the anniversary of your sign up, so actually costs $20/year. I think Aspire requires 70k personal or 100k household income.

Yeah I use the Aspire World Travel pretty exclusively. $20/year + price protection, extended warranty, automatic travel and car rental insurance + the $350 signup bonus + 2% on everything + travel rewards redeem on standard travel purchases so you don't need to actually book your travel through CapitalOne, you just go ahead and put it on the card.

Only downside I can think of is that CapitalOne doesn't let you make bill payments through their online interface so unless the bill you're paying lets your input your payment info on the bill site, you can't get cash-back on your bills. Pity, I'd love to claw back 2% of my rent. Hahaha.

krae_man

Yeah I use the Aspire World Travel pretty exclusively. $20/year + price protection, extended warranty, automatic travel and car rental insurance + the $350 signup bonus + 2% on everything + travel rewards redeem on standard travel purchases so you don't need to actually book your travel through CapitalOne, you just go ahead and put it on the card.

Only downside I can think of is that CapitalOne doesn't let you make bill payments through their online interface so unless the bill you're paying lets your input your payment info on the bill site, you can't get cash-back on your bills. Pity, I'd love to claw back 2% of my rent. Hahaha.

I don't think your landlord would like Visa or MC taking 3-4% of your rent money.

zroid

Banned
Ugh do I really want to line up at FS for the steelbook :(

I'm going to FS at around 9pm; if the line isn't so long that I still have a chance of getting the CE (they have 20 units, apparently), I'll stick it out and get the Steelbook (80 of these in stock).

If not, I'll just make my merry way home and wait till I get my CE in the mail tomorrow, I guess
WHICH STILL HASN'T SHIPPED YET

wingz

I'm going to FS at around 9pm; if the line isn't so long that I still have a chance of getting the CE (they have 20 units, apparently), I'll stick it out and get the Steelbook (80 of these in stock).

If not, I'll just make my merry way home and wait till I get my CE in the mail tomorrow, I guess.

So, each store is suppose to have 80 steelbooks in stock? If so, I'll take my chance and get the game in the morning, hopefully they have some leftovers from the midnight launch. If they don't have it, doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the info.

zroid

Banned
So, each store is suppose to have 80 steelbooks in stock? If so, I'll take my chance and get the game in the morning, hopefully they have some leftovers from the midnight launch. If they don't have it, doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't count on each store having that many; it depends on the location. Minimum is supposed to be 10 per store, so there's obviously a lot of variability in that. For reference though, mine is suburban GTA, so it does sound like they aren't on particularly short supply of Steelbooks.

wingz

I wouldn't count on each store having that many; it depends on the location. Minimum is supposed to be 10 per store, so there's obviously a lot of variability in that. For reference though, mine is suburban GTA, so it does sound like they aren't on particularly short supply of Steelbooks.

Yeah, I live in the same area and there quite a few FS around. I'll probably call in the morning just to check which store has stock.

Magnus

Good chance I'm going to wind up with a Diablo 3 CE I don't want. Would anyone (in Toronto) be interested in grabbing it from me if I do?

zroid

Banned
hnngnnngnnngh finally. my two orders shipped T_T so happy.

still, damn you people who got your copy before mine even shipped. gaddangit

Guesong

CanadaPost Ground Shipping?

Weird. All previous orders were made with Purolator Air Delivery.

Guess I won't be getting D3 tommorow or Wesnesday.

For those who received their CEs, how did Future Shop / Best Buy package them? Did they have individual boxes especially for the CEs or just put them in an oversized box?

Maximus.

damn all of you with a copy! A couple friends and I are going to line up for the midnight launch because we want that box! We wont be able to play right away, but have the package meant more than just jumping in a few hours early. I didnt want to order it online in fear of not receiving it in time, but clearly that wouldnt have been a problem :(

RS4-

Well FS shipped mine out. Probably be here tomorrow afternoon as that's when CP delivers in my area :(

I should've canceled the order as soon as they told me that it wouldn't come with steel book

Just checked my Best Buy (Vancouver) order progress:

" Shipped via CanadaPost Ground Shipping Delivery on 05/14/2012 "

Can't track it yet though, shows up as N/A when I enter in the tracking number on Canada Post.

SO EXCITED.

zroid

Banned
I have my copy preordered so i was thinking of going around 12...hope they dont close early in case the line is long.
Ah, gotcha.

Welp, I'm in line now at FS. 3 hours of frolicking fun left! There are 13 ahead of me, and about 10 behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom