• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Not really a "deal" but looks like Gravity Rush is now $29.83 at Wal-Mart, and as far as I can tell it's a permanent reduction.

Thiiiinking about PMing at FS and using the $10 coupon from KH3D. We'll see...

Kazerei

Banned
Not really a "deal" but looks like Gravity Rush is now $29.83 at Wal-Mart, and as far as I can tell it's a permanent reduction.

Thiiiinking about PMing at FS and using the $10 coupon from KH3D. We'll see...

The $10 off receipt? It says you can't combine it with a price match :\

But if you live in K-W, I'll sell you my copy for $20.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You aren't allowed to PM and use the coupon. Well, that's what it says but I don't think any of them know how the coupons even work. lol

zroid

Banned
The $10 off receipt? It says you can't combine it with a price match :\

Huh, wow. Price match always seemed to combine with everything since it's not really a "promotion". But indeed it does say that on the receipt... -_-;

Like, for example, even those periodic $10 Best Buy coupons which are not supposed to apply on "sale" items do work if you price match (even if it's on sale at the competitor).

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I have the following promo codes if anyone is interested.

- $20 off Assassins Creed 3 PS3 pre order
- $20 off Borderlands 2 PS3 pre order
- $30 off Borderlands 2 Collectors Edition PS3 pre order

All codes are for Futureshop only and can only be used for shipping. Do not use in store pick up.

daevv

Figures as soon as I buy a Vita my PS3 gets the yellow then red flashing lights!

Any good bundle deals for PS3s around? The systems are pretty much all the same price just looking for non-move extras/goodies that are packaged in with the system.

Takuan

Future Shop has (had?) a trade 2 get Persona 4: Arena free. They took down the page that allowed you to view qualified trade-in titles, unfortunately, but before that happened I saw Arkham City on the qualified list and noticed they were selling used copies for $14.99. I'm still on the hunt for another qualified title for ~$15.

Sweet! The hunt continues... thanks!

Quick question, this rogers 6gig super plan, does that require a new contract? As in, if I sign up for it now, will I lose out on my chance to upgrade to the new iPhone for cheap?

Takuan

I wonder if I'll get Starfox fast enough to do the trade for P4A. I'm not even sure if I want P4A right now though lol. Might just see if there's a trade for Sleeping Dogs or DOA5 instead.
The location I went to was out of the ps3 version. I asked if it was possible for me to trade 2 qualified titles for the 360 version and then exchange it for the Ps3 version when it comes in stock, but was told "I don't think so." I'm skeptical, but in the end it isn't worth the effort. I'll just wait for the price drop or the next game that comes with dlc characters for 39.99.

Sora_N

The location I went to was out of the ps3 version. I asked if it was possible for me to trade 2 qualified titles for the 360 version and then exchange it for the Ps3 version when it comes in stock, but was told "I don't think so." I'm skeptical, but in the end it isn't worth the effort. I'll just wait for the price drop or the next game that comes with dlc characters for 39.99.

My store was sold out of KH last week too, no rainchecks or anything either.

Takuan

My store was sold out of KH last week too, no rainchecks or anything either.

I didn't realize trading in for an in-stock copy and then exchanging it (sealed) for another version qualified as a rain check. Although, I guess you can't exactly return a game that you didn't pay for in the first place, I suppose. Now I'm really curious what the proof of purchase looks like whenever these sorts of deals are done.

RS4-

Yeah you can't do anything about the game you get from trade-ins if you want to exchange, return, whatever.

When I went to FS this morning they only had 2-3 copies for each system.

Sora_N

I didn't realize trading in for an in-stock copy and then exchanging it (sealed) for another version qualified as a rain check. Although, I guess you can't exactly return a game that you didn't pay for in the first place, I suppose. Now I'm really curious what the proof of purchase looks like whenever these sorts of deals are done.

I never said it qualified as a raincheck, I was saying how stupid it was for them to offer trade-in promotions when they barely have enough copies of the games and how they wouldn't let me guarantee one in any way.

TRADE IN YOUR GAMES TOWARDS GIFT CARDS!

Trade-in your games towards select gift cards, including Visa prepaid cards, MasterCard prepaid cards, EB Games Gift Cards, PSN cards and more!

Offer ends August 25, 2012. Offer valid towards specific titles. Cannot be combined with other trade offers. Game traded must be in full working condition to receive full value. Subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at anytime. Offer valid at participating stores. Restrictions apply in Winnipeg. See sales associate for complete details. The Vanilla Visa prepard card is issued by Peoples Trust Company pursuant to license by Visa Inc. The Vanilla Prepaid MasterCard is issued by Peoples Trust Company pursuant to license by MasterCard International. MasterCard and the MasterCard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard Intenational.

Thought this was interesting. (EB GAMES)

Called EBGames, apparently it's the equivalent of credit, so you can get a $75 card if you trade in $75 worth of games, but you get 10% less credit for your games as the person said, so I guess you trade $75 worth you lose $7.50?

Called EBGames, apparently it's the equivalent of credit, so you can get a $75 card if you trade in $75 worth of games, but you get 10% less credit for your games as the person said, so I guess you trade $75 worth you lose $7.50?

This doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I traded in a game today at EB Games and the guy working there asked me if I wanted the credit on a gift card, and I said "sure". So I have a gift card with $14 on it now.

That isn't something they normally do? I had no idea... I never trade in games usually. I definitely would have preferred a pre-paid credit card so I could use it somewhere else.

I like that I have a gift card and not in-store credit, though, so I can at least use it on their website.

It means those prepaid credit cards, which is different from a gift card

Yup, that's why I posted it. The ability to take your credit from EB and use it somewhere else is tempting. Seems they're offering less if you decide to take it in Credit Card form though. I expected that.

RS4-

A few months ago, I went to EB to pick up my MGS HD Collection and some dude barged into the store really pissed off because the pre-paid Visa/MC card he got was a dud.

EB couldn't or wouldn't do anything, says its Visa/MCs fault, blah blah. Security comes, takes guy out.

A few months ago, I went to EB to pick up my MGS HD Collection and some dude barged into the store really pissed off because the pre-paid Visa/MC card he got was a dud.

EB couldn't or wouldn't do anything, says its Visa/MCs fault, blah blah. Security comes, takes guy out.

Wow. You should probably check the balance right away but I've heard something about the value of those prepaid cards going down overtime. Like a monthly charge. I've never actually had one so I'm not sure.

Wow. You should probably check the balance right away but I've heard something about the value of those prepaid cards going down overtime. Like a monthly charge. I've never actually had one so I'm not sure.

Sometimes, yeah. But it's also possible the staff gave him an unactivated card (they are all value-less until activated). Unless you're sure you saw them activate it I would usually check before leaving the store. Maybe card design varies but in my limited experience with gift cards the unactivated ones ring up as just being empty.

(Pharmaprix here is notorious for giving out unactivated cards during specials)

RS4-

Just looking at the RBC PP Visa, they charge 1.50 every month after six months until there is no more balance.

Its been a while but I do recall other PP CCs that don't have any monthly fees, while others have no initial costs (ex. RBC is $3.95 to "buy")

Sora_N

This doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I traded in a game today at EB Games and the guy working there asked me if I wanted the credit on a gift card, and I said "sure". So I have a gift card with $14 on it now.

That isn't something they normally do? I had no idea... I never trade in games usually. I definitely would have preferred a pre-paid credit card so I could use it somewhere else.

I like that I have a gift card and not in-store credit, though, so I can at least use it on their website.

I think your other option is to place it towards a preorder (+20% trade-in value promo right now?) or use it on a purchase?

SickBoy

Last time I bought a prepaid card (PSN card) it was already activated -- the dude at the till didn't have to do anything with it, and I actually asked him about it because it was unusual. I guess that's what they do, at least at the store I visited.

If they do the same with the various prepaid credit cards they offer, they're courting all sorts of problems.

Magnus

EB no longer puts tax-exempt trade-in credit on EDGE cards, since they just discovered it violates some kind of law.

To my understanding, if you still want tax-exempt trade-in credit, your trades need to be applied to something in-store right away. This includes pre-orders as far as I know. Like, for example, I've got $300 squirreled away on a system preorder for a Wii U at my friend's store. I expect that if the system ends up costing $349, I'll be paying $49 +tax.

If your credit goes onto one of their gift cards (since, as I said before, they aren't using EDGE cards anymore), you'll be losing the tax-exempt nature of the credit. This is exactly how it was in the past at EB Games when you bought a gift card for someone with trade-in credit. You'd trade in $50 of stuff for example, and either nab $50 worth of stuff (with your trades covering the tax on top of that too), or buy a $50 gift card. And then when you tried to buy stuff with that gift card later, you'd still have to pay the $7 or whatever tax on top of it.

Hopefully this description of what's happening makes sense to everyone. I'm basing everything on my past experience with the EB POS system when I worked there and my observations on how the different types of credit behaved in different transactions.

RS4-

In re: to the taxes and stuff at EB, I've always been taxed on the difference (if any).

If my trade-ins only ring up to $50 and the game I'm purchasing is $60, I pay $10 + tax. If your trade-ins cover the retail price, no tax.

I don't remember how it works at FS/BB. I'm not 100% sure if it was the same way.

I picked up Kingdom Hearts 3DS: Mastery edition for 39.83 + tax at my local Wal-mart at Scarborough Town Centre. Doing a quick google search shows that I wasn't the only one picking it up at that price point, so it might be set at all of their stores, but just in case, consider it YMMV.

196BR.jpg

mK5hr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom