• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
S3 makes the 4S look like a stale dinosaur. Even my friends with the 4S were saying that. IPhone 5 will probably win over style fetishists, though.

Handled the S3, and while the screen is bigger, the 4S still feels better to me. :|
I'm still using a 3G, so my opinion on feeling is only "slightly" biased.
I did read the reviews of the S3, and it's all positive, which is why I am considering it.

I quite like Android's functionality. Very flexible. But a jailbroken iPhone functions well - especially with Glovepod. Not needing to look at the screen to change music while driving is one of the most important functions I need. Is there a similar music control feature (stock or purchasable or hack) similar to Glovepod for Android? If so, I'd buy that.

I'm in vancouver and my girlfriend is on Wind. When she's at SFU she gets dodgy reception except for some key spots on the campus. In some building around town she loses reception while my phone on Rogers keeps up a few bars. Whenever she's at metrotown or brentwood, her calls drop occasionally.

It's really hard to say whether or not your spots you go to are fine, but if you are willing to save about 20-30 bucks a month, be prepared to get more inconsistent service.

On the other hand, you can call in to Rogers and talk to the Retentions department and negotiate for a cheaper plan. See RFD in the Hot Deals - Ongoing Deals section for a ginormous thread on Rogers Retention and how to deal with them.

My plan is about $47 after tax for 300 mins, my 10, 1 gig data, unlimited messaging, unlimited incoming, caller id, and voicemail. These retentions plans are seriously YMMV, and you'll more than likely have to call in 5-6+ times to get what you want (took me about 4 calls total to get features added/credited).

I asked on facebook and it seems my friends have heard through the grapevine how terrible Wind is. Seems like your girlfriend hits generally the same areas that I do (most Vancouverites probably do). So I'll probably pass on that plan.

It just seems so hassle-free though... I mean, calling 5 to 6 times to get what you want seems ridiculous. The "big 3" are getting too big. Their plans are confusing and annoying. Their sole purpose for ANY interaction with a customer is to retain them, either through a deceptive bait and switch promotion, or a confusing contract.

One CSR called me offering a "gift for being a loyal customer" - a $50 credit on my bill. The string attached was I get locked in for 24 months. But the CSR claimed that if I cancel the contract, I don't have to pay an ECF because I didn't lock in with a phone. Call me paranoid, but I have trouble trusting these people.

Handled the S3, and while the screen is bigger, the 4S still feels better to me. :|
I'm still using a 3G, so my opinion on feeling is only "slightly" biased.
I did read the reviews of the S3, and it's all positive, which is why I am considering it.

I quite like Android's functionality. Very flexible. But a jailbroken iPhone functions well - especially with Glovepod. Not needing to look at the screen to change music while driving is one of the most important functions I need. Is there a similar music control feature (stock or purchasable or hack) similar to Glovepod for Android? If so, I'd buy that.

I asked on facebook and it seems my friends have heard through the grapevine how terrible Wind is. Seems like your girlfriend hits generally the same areas that I do (most Vancouverites probably do). So I'll probably pass on that plan.

It just seems so hassle-free though... I mean, calling 5 to 6 times to get what you want seems ridiculous. The "big 3" are getting too big. Their plans are confusing and annoying. Their sole purpose for ANY interaction with a customer is to retain them, either through a deceptive bait and switch promotion, or a confusing contract.

One CSR called me offering a "gift for being a loyal customer" - a $50 credit on my bill. The string attached was I get locked in for 24 months. But the CSR claimed that if I cancel the contract, I don't have to pay an ECF because I didn't lock in with a phone. Call me paranoid, but I have trouble trusting these people.

It really sucks that you have to put in so much work to (maybe) get a good plan, but there really isn't anything you can do to change it other than vote with your wallet and go with a smaller company. Kind of brutal, but if you're lucky enough to get good reception at your usual spots, then it's kind of tough not to go with the Big 3 if you want half decent service.

It really sucks that you have to put in so much work to (maybe) get a good plan, but there really isn't anything you can do to change it other than vote with your wallet and go with a smaller company. Kind of brutal, but if you're lucky enough to get good reception at your usual spots, then it's kind of tough not to go with the Big 3 if you want half decent service.

Yeah... the sad part is that once the smaller companies get enough supporting customers, they generally turn into those companies you originally left... :(

Are there other small companies that are at least better than Wind? I don't mind paying a tiny bit more if the coverage is better. :|

Yeah... the sad part is that once the smaller companies get enough supporting customers, they generally turn into those companies you originally left... :(

Are there other small companies that are at least better than Wind? I don't mind paying a tiny bit more if the coverage is better. :|

Well, Mobilicity is the other "indie" company, but I hear their data rates are super bad. It's unlimited, but you get a cap of like 100 kb/s or something. Probably need to do more research on them.

Other than those two, you have your Koodo, Fido, Solo, and Virgin mobile brands which are just Telus, Rogers, and Bell in disguise. Those have the same quality of reception of their bigger owners, but they seem to be a bit cheaper and offer "Tabs" instead of contracts.

Well, Mobilicity is the other "indie" company, but I hear their data rates are super bad. It's unlimited, but you get a cap of like 100 kb/s or something. Probably need to do more research on them.

Other than those two, you have your Koodo, Fido, Solo, and Virgin mobile brands which are just Telus, Rogers, and Bell in disguise. Those have the same quality of reception of their bigger owners, but they seem to be a bit cheaper and offer "Tabs" instead of contracts.

I heard that the states gets hammered bad with cancellation fees and stuff too... seems like there's no escaping these obvious vampiric companies.

Those other "brands" just further shows the deceptions of these companies. :|
But you're right, they are cheaper for the same but better. I do like how Fido has their "Fido Dollars" thing, basically free money.

I'm no longer on a contract, so I can't actually view my old agreement anymore - I get the whole remarketed concept of a tab as opposed to a contract, but it's pretty much the same as a contract, just named differently, and possibly worse.

Has Ottawa passed that law yet to put a maximum cap on ECFs? Because that could change the whole dynamic of tabs vs contracts.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this is a good deal, but it seemed good to me. A Transcend 32GB Class 10 SD Card for $29.99 on Amazon.ca.

I got one for my 3DS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those interested, Staples between Summerhill and Rosedale (Toronto) is selling the 3DS XL early. Managed to pick up a blue one. <3

Sora_N

For those interested, Staples between Summerhill and Rosedale (Toronto) is selling the 3DS XL early. Managed to pick up a blue one. <3

Uh oh? Isn't Nintendo usually pretty anal about street dates? I worked at TRU, the instructions for the free Pokemon downloads cart is pretty strict. It says they will terminate any future events, etc if the cart is set up early or the cart is not returned.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Uh oh? Isn't Nintendo usually pretty anal about street dates? I worked at TRU, the instructions for the free Pokemon downloads cart is pretty strict. It says they will terminate any future events, etc if the cart is set up early or the cart is not returned.

Yes they are anal, but other major retailers (WalMart, Shoppers) have broken / occasionally keep breaking street dates and they still sell games. I wouldn't worry about Staple's future selling games.

JazzmanZ

Dunno if it's happening in other areas, but Zellars across Ontario are closing down, the video games in them are 30% off and was able to nab a few goodies.

Sora_N

Ugh I wish I could find PokePlat or Kirby.

Also I wish I could just go to Nintendo and get my gold Nunchuck, I work in 2 buildings away from them! :(

zroid

Banned
jbcN59FZeLmX2V.jpg

:O

jhtm4VFW0bZ9L.jpg

oh. ;_;

Has Ottawa passed that law yet to put a maximum cap on ECFs? Because that could change the whole dynamic of tabs vs contracts.

What you're asking for is never going to happen. Only two outcomes are possible:

1: companies all migrate to the cancellation fee being equal to the subsidy (telus has administrative cancellation fees, Bell is still term based) essentially a tab system
Or
2: companies stop offering heavy subsidies on phones, allowing you to cancel for 50 or 100 bucks but letting you pay 400-500 for the device.

Considering how much people complain about the price of their phone plans to me, something tells me they wouldn't be in a big rush to bug little Timmy a 4s while being 400 out of pocket.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/trade-in-games/27603.aspx?path=cb8953c32d74b1f39e3f640a2828c302en01

Click on the deal and the list will magically appear. It may change for next week though, but only slightly.

Thanks for posting, don't think I'll be finding five on that list that I will be able to use unfortunately

EXCLUDES MANITOBA LOCATIONS, WTF IS THIS GARBAGE! Brandon doesn't have those same shitty Winnipeg bylaws pretty sure we can do trade-ins there

So on tuesday I went into Future Shop and asked the sales rep if they will take multiples of the same game for the 'trade #, get it free' deals and they said yes. Is this normal?

I ended up purchasing two copies of Batman Arkham City for $19.99 at the front cash, walked out to the car, opened them, and walked back into the store and traded them for Persona 4 Arena. Shady on my part? Maybe, but they should take better note of their own prices when making those trade lists.

So on tuesday I went into Future Shop and asked the sales rep if they will take multiples of the same game for the 'trade #, get it free' deals and they said yes. Is this normal?

I ended up purchasing two copies of Batman Arkham City for $19.99 at the front cash, walked out to the car, opened them, and walked back into the store and traded them for Persona 4 Arena. Shady on my part? Maybe, but they should take better note of their own prices when making those trade lists.

It says in the fine print that they don't take multiples of the same title regardless of platform

Thanks for posting, don't think I'll be finding five on that list that I will be able to use unfortunately

EXCLUDES MANITOBA LOCATIONS, WTF IS THIS GARBAGE! Brandon doesn't have those same shitty Winnipeg bylaws pretty sure we can do trade-ins there

Manitoba... the new Quebec?

TheExodu5

Banned
So, isny says he's good for a meet from the 20th until the end of the month, after 5PM.

Anyone else interested in an Ottawa meet-up, persumably with myself, isny, and Stumpokapow?

lupinko

Hmm, I'm probably too late now, but any deals for Sleeping Dogs either PS3 or PC/Steam?

I know of Futureshop's Trade 2 but I don't have/want to trade games from that list.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
So, isny says he's good for a meet from the 20th until the end of the month, after 5PM.

Anyone else interested in an Ottawa meet-up, persumably with myself, isny, and Stumpokapow?
I'm very interested any day after the 23rd...that's my moving date to Ottawa. Keep me updated, preferably with PMs!

kswiston

Did the Last Story get pushed back a week? Went to go pick up a copy this morning and no one had it in stock. Looking online, most stores (Amazon, Best Buy, EB Games, etc) are now saying Aug 21st.

Sora_N

Did the Last Story get pushed back a week? Went to go pick up a copy this morning and no one had it in stock. Looking online, most stores (Amazon, Best Buy, EB Games, etc) are now saying Aug 21st.

I have no reason to head down to EB now then...I guess.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sounds good! I am over in la belle province jusqu'a la 18eme, so any time after the 20th/23rd works well for me too.

Alright...so we'll say sometime in between the 24th and the 30th?

Anything in mind? Restaurant? Billiards? There's a Barcraft going on at the Clocktower if you guys are interested in that (if all else fails, it's actually a really nice pub, with some great microbrews).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom