• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora_N

I picked up Kingdom Hearts 3DS: Mastery edition for 39.83 + tax at my local Wal-mart at Scarborough Town Centre. Doing a quick google search shows that I wasn't the only one picking it up at that price point, so it might be set at all of their stores, but just in case, consider it YMMV.

196BR.jpg

mK5hr.jpg

Oh man, I feel so jipped now. :(

The Wii U will be my first console launch in Canada so I was just curious about the rumor that Gamestop will start taking preorders on the 13th. Does EB Games generally line up with Gamestop on those things (same owners right?) or will they have their own schedule?

I'm more interested in the hopeful Nintendo Direct/Fall Conference that could be popping up far earlier than expected! :D

So anyway, I have the receipt from Futureshop offering the $10 off of any $20+ game for the month.

I want to buy an eShop card with it, but that's not possible, so I was hoping that anyone here in Montreal would like to take it off my hands for $10 so I can spend it on the card effectively getting that for half price.

zroid

Banned
I hope we get those Sony price drops next week as well. I want to use my $10 KH coupon on one of the $19.99 titles. Probably either WipEout 2048 or Jak Collection.

joedick

Just looking at the RBC PP Visa, they charge 1.50 every month after six months until there is no more balance.

Its been a while but I do recall other PP CCs that don't have any monthly fees, while others have no initial costs (ex. RBC is $3.95 to "buy")

I don't know about Visa, but with the Vanilla Mastercard you can call them and ask them to put the monthly fees back on and they'll do it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The weekly flyers weren't posted? Flyers August 10-16 from CAG:

WalMart

StarFox 3D (3DS) - $29.99 Rollback
Darksiders 2 - $59.83
WalMart exclusive bonus copy of Darksiders and LE includes Argul's Tomb expansion pack
Sleeping Dogs - $59.83
Pre-order comes with Deep Undercover pack. Pick up code at time of purchase, limited quantities

Shoppers Drug Mart

PSVita - $249.99 with bonus $50 Shoppers Gift Card
3DS - $149.99
Sony Wireless keypad or DS3 - $39.99
15% off Xbox Media Remote, Silver controller, Wireless black gamepad or Speedwheel
25% off selected video games

FutureShop

Get $20 towards any game in September when you buy either of the two games Aug. 14-16
Sleeping Dogs - $59.99
(bonus Steelbook, get free with trade in 2 select games)
Darksiders 2 - $59.99
(Deadly Despair content pack, get free with trade in 2 select games)

Xbox Summer Value bundle 250gb - $299.99
(Fable 3, Halo Reach, GoW2, AC2, B:AA, 3 months XBL)
PS3 320gb MW3 bundle - $299.99
(InFamous, RE5 included)
Just Dance 2 Wii, Darkness 2 - $19.99
Just Dance 3, COD:BLOPS - $29.99
Skylanders with bonus character - $59.99
XBL 12 month Gold - $39.99
Driving Force GT wheel - $99.99

Pre-orders with bonus steelbooks -
SMB2, Borderlands 2, Dishonoured, HALO 4

BestBuy

Buy both Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 for $99.99
Sleeping Dogs - $59.99
(Exclusive George St. Pierre pack, 800 RZ points, get free with trade in 2 select games)
Darksiders 2 - $59.99
(Exclusive Death Angel pack, 800 RZ points, get free with trade in 2 select games)
XBox 4gb Family Bundle - $299.99
(Kinect, bonus Disneyland Adventures)

Pre-orders with 800 RZ points -
SMB2, Borderlands 2, COD:BLOPS 2, Madden 13, NHL 13, Guildwars 2

The Last Story Wii - $49.99 Aug. 14
Driving Force GT wheel - $99.99

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap Xbox 360 slim hard drive? My existing one isn't working (got it from a friend) and $150 for a 250gb hard drive is insane.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap Xbox 360 slim hard drive? My existing one isn't working (got it from a friend) and $150 for a 250gb hard drive is insane.
If you don't care about being "official", you can buy one of those third party cases and buy a WD 2.5" OEM HDD and then format it using the proper tools.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
SMB2 being New Super Mario Bros. 2? Might pre order that then. I have the $10 coupon for the Kingdom Hearts 3D trade to use as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I moved to Ontario.

Now I drink bagged milk and drive to Quebec Costco to get cheap bulk-purchased beer. Shipping costs and times seem to have plummeted dramatically now that I don't live on a rock off the coast of the country. People seem surprised if I say "hello" or "nice day" as I pass them, what a yokel I am. There are lots of squirrels here. Basically my entire house is filled with IKEA junk. Shawarma. TekSavvy: so far, so good. People actually use Yelp and Foursquare here. The giant old-growth trees are spectacular. No building height restrictions in downtown zones. LCBO microbrews. Headscarves and burkas don't exist out east. I'm using an air conditioner for the first time in my life. Cops directing traffic in construction zones. A homeless guy complimented my girlfriend; glad to see chivalry ain't dead. Rent is high. Parking is obscene. Compost is viable. 24 hour busses. LOL Apple stores.

Sajjaja

So I moved to Ontario.

Now I drink bagged milk and drive to Quebec Costco to get cheap bulk-purchased beer. Shipping costs and times seem to have plummeted dramatically now that I don't live on a rock off the coast of the country. People seem surprised if I say "hello" or "nice day" as I pass them, what a yokel I am. There are lots of squirrels here. Basically my entire house is filled with IKEA junk. Shawarma. TekSavvy: so far, so good. People actually use Yelp and Foursquare here. The giant old-growth trees are spectacular. No building height restrictions in downtown zones. LCBO microbrews. Headscarves and burkas don't exist out east. I'm using an air conditioner for the first time in my life. Cops directing traffic in construction zones. A homeless guy complimented my girlfriend; glad to see chivalry ain't dead. Rent is high. Parking is obscene. Compost is viable. 24 hour busses. LOL Apple stores.

You don't have bagged milk out east?
People say hello to others as they walk by them in other places?
Yes.
A summer without AC is terrible, how did you manage?
Worst place.

Welcome to the best
?
province in Canada.
Come at me Prairies!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I live in the GTA and last week I was walking to the bus stop and the Canada Post lady said good morning to me as I walked by and I realized that I've never had someone I didn't know just randomly say hello to me while passing by on a sidewalk or a situation as casual. Or at least in a very long time.

The Newfie invasion has begun.

So I moved to Ontario.

welcome to the best province in the Canadas.

AAK

Maybe it's not gaming related. But The Raid Redemption Blu Ray is coming out on August. Anyone have any ideas about the cheapest place to get it?

So I moved to Ontario.

Welcome :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just wondering - did anyone else get an email from FS about Sleeping Dogs?

My name is James and I am emailing to inform you of a possible change that can be made to your pre order for Sleeping Dogs for the XBOX 360 platform if you like.

At this time, we have Sleeping Dogs with a free upgrade to a Bonus Steel Book. If you would like to receive this for free in addition to the game itself, please cancel the Sleeping Dogs game from your order and replace the order for the same web code ( 10172274 ) and also make sure that web code ( 10210065 ) is also added to the order to ensure you receive the steel book for free. If you need any assistance canceling just the game itself from your order, please email us back or call us at 1-800-663-2275 and any agent will be happy to cancel the game and also replace the order for you.

Please note, if you have multiple games on your order, you only need to cancel this individual game itself from the order, not the entire order.

This will not change the delivery time frame of your order and still will ship the exact same time as the previous order would have. In addition, if you received a discount on the game as part of a previous promotion, you will still receive that discount, however, we would ask you to email or call us on the release date to apply it as we are unable to apply a discount to a pre order until we actually bill the customer, which will happen late on August 13th.

It looks like they're trying to get steelbooks to anyone who wants one.

Fuzzy

Just wondering - did anyone else get an email from FS about Sleeping Dogs?

It looks like they're trying to get steelbooks to anyone who wants one.
Too bad they want people to cancel then re-order which means they would lose any discount they had when they originally ordered.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Too bad they want people to cancel then re-order which means they would lose any discount they had when they originally ordered.
No, if you read the email, it says you can keep your discount. They know people ordered through the e3/tsilon thing it seems.

And funny enough, they actually called me about it too. I think they must have had a lot of controversy over the steelbooks from last time. lol

Fuzzy

No, if you read the email, it says you can keep your discount. They know people ordered through the e3/tsilon thing it seems.

And funny enough, they actually called me about it too. I think they must have had a lot of controversy over the steelbooks from last time. lol
I read it but having to call them and have them adjust the price after it ships is just stupid. Especially since I know for a fact that they can adjust the price of pre-orders before they ship because they did it for me last year when they accidentally cancelled my E3 2011 pre-order and then let me place the order again at the discounted price.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I read it but having to call them and have them adjust the price after it ships is just stupid. Especially since I know for a fact that they can adjust the price of pre-orders before they ship because they did it for me last year when they accidentally cancelled my E3 2011 pre-order and then let me place the order again at the discounted price.
Actually, when they called me, they adjusted the price of the order I made with the steelbook. So I guess you need to be some special kind of support person to do it. lol

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys I was just to Wal-Mart today (Grandview Highway in Vancouver) and noticed that Rayman Origins is back in stock at $9.83. When I got there at around 1pm there were 5-6 copies in the display case.

I just checked the wal-mart site and indeed it seems to be back in stock at most GVR locations.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else going to pre-order New Super Mario Bros. 2 from Future Shop? The Steelbook looks like it might be pretty cool.

Also - I can probably use that $10 off coupon from Kingdom Hearts 3D on this. :).

I've never understood the love for steelbooks, I actually go out of my way to avoid them. They break up a nice looking collection, and they damage so easily.

zroid

Banned
The NSMB2 steelbook is cool but because I can't stack it with my other 3DS games, it's not really worth it. I might have opted for it if I weren't already getting the game for $30 with 800RZ from Best Buy. $20 is too much to pay for a steelbook.

I've never understood the love for steelbooks, I actually go out of my way to avoid them. They break up a nice looking collection, and they damage so easily.

Yeah, me too, I hate steelbooks. What I hate more than steelbooks, though, is CEs that do not come with a standard game case inside.

Spike

The NSMB2 steelbook is cool but because I can't stack it with my other 3DS games, it's not really worth it. I might have opted for it if I weren't already getting the game for $30 with 800RZ from Best Buy. $20 is too much to pay for a steelbook.

The game is not inside the steelbook. It comes in its own case, and then the actual game case goes inside the steelbook.

It will be like this:

original

Still, I am not a fan of steelbooks at all.

kennah

I was in Quebec City this morning. And
Going again on Wednesday.

Was thinking at lunch how AshTons kicks the ass of Smokes

If we do a Montreal Gaf meetup next week I could go!

Giard

I was in Quebec City this morning. And
Going again on Wednesday.

Was thinking at lunch how AshTons kicks the ass of Smokes

If we do a Montreal Gaf meetup next week I could go!
Hope you liked Quebec City!

If you ever come back, try a restaurant called La Brigade. I go there with my gf once a month, we both love it.

kennah

We will be there Wednesday around supper time. May have to check it out!

We come down often, my wife is from a village on the Chemin du Roi.

zroid

Banned
The game is not inside the steelbook. It comes in its own case, and then the actual game case goes inside the steelbook.

It will be like this:

original

Still, I am not a fan of steelbooks at all.

I know, but that's the problem. I'd have to put the 3DS box inside that thing, which is a beast. I'd just end up not using it anyway. Which is, admittedly, not unlike what I do with some other steelbooks, but like I said... $20...

Looks like it's time for me to join in on the cellphone plan FAQs rank.

Wind Mobile has this nice promo plan for $29 unlimited everything. I want it.
But at the same time, I'm not sure if I want a Galaxy S3, or if I should wait for the iPhone 5.

Read the reviews of the S3, and while it seems nice, it's still not as slick as even the 4S in terms of looks (sure screen isn't as big, but rumors say 5 will have a bigger screen).

I'm almost certain the iPhone 5 will be a slick looking device, and most likely will be jailbreak-able. (I've been enjoying the great modded features of my old 3G for years)

Questions:

1. Can I pick a phone later if I go with Wind? Will I be able to put it on my WindTab?
2. Will Wind ever get iPhones? Why don't they have iPhones?
3. If Wind never gets iPhones, will I be able to just buy an unlocked iPhone and use it with Wind?

But at the same time, I'm not sure if I want a Galaxy S3, or if I should wait for the iPhone 5.

Read the reviews of the S3, and while it seems nice, it's still not as slick as even the 4S in terms of looks (sure screen isn't as big, but rumors say 5 will have a bigger screen).

I'm almost certain the iPhone 5 will be a slick looking device, and most likely will be jailbreak-able. (I've been enjoying the great modded features of my old 3G for years)

Questions:

1. Can I pick a phone later if I go with Wind? Will I be able to put it on my WindTab?
3. If Wind never gets iPhones, will I be able to just buy an unlocked iPhone and use it with Wind?

iPhones dont have the correct radio to work on Wind. It'll be a gamble on whether or not iPhone 5 will work.

Also, be careful about Wind. Check that they have coverage in the areas that you frequent. Ask friends if they get good reception. My friends get 1 bar on a lot of places that i get 4-5 on with rogers

Cheerilee

Questions:

You can start a new Windtab anytime you buy a new phone from Wind, but you have to pay off your old Windtab first, if you have one. Theoretically, you could just buy their cheapest $50 phone for now, then pay that off and get a better phone on the Windtab when you see one you like. Or maybe you could buy a cheap used Wind phone off Craigslist and start with that. Or maybe you can just sign up/get a simcard without even having a phone.

Wind uses the same tech as T-Mobile in the States, and Apple doesn't support that kind of tech, because T-Mobile's marketshare is too small to bother with (nevermind Wind's miniscule marketshare).

If Apple makes an iDevice that works with T-Mobile/Wind and Wind doesn't offer it for some strange reason (they've said that they'll gladly jump on any iDevice that works with their tech), then yes, you can just buy your own unlocked hardware and stick your Wind simcard into it. But you'd have to make absolutely sure that the phone works on Wind before you buy it.

I'd say just look at what Android phones Wind is offering, and ask yourself if you can be happy with one of them for three years (the Windtab pays itself off after three years, so it's sort of like a loose three year contract). And once you choose your phone, stop looking at other phones, or you'll just drive yourself crazy and/or spend a lot of money.

Wind uses the same tech as T-Mobile in the States, and Apple doesn't support that kind of tech, because T-Mobile's marketshare is too small to bother with (nevermind Wind's miniscule marketshare).

If Apple makes an iDevice that works with T-Mobile/Wind and Wind doesn't offer it for some strange reason (they've said that they'll gladly jump on any iDevice that works with their tech), then yes, you can just buy your own unlocked hardware and stick your Wind simcard into it. But you'd have to make absolutely sure that the phone works on Wind before you buy it.

iPhones dont have the correct radio to work on Wind. It'll be a gamble on whether or not iPhone 5 will work.

Also, be careful about Wind. Check that they have coverage in the areas that you frequent. Ask friends if they get good reception. My friends get 1 bar on a lot of places that i get 4-5 on with rogers

Ah, I suspected as much... I'm probably not going to take the chance. So if I want this plan, it'll be Android.

Hmmm... I don't know anyone on wind... anyone in the Vancouver area care to chime in on their signal quality? Customer service?

I've been on the doggie/rogers plans for years and it's been go so far, but not cheap.

Socreges

Banned
S3 makes the 4S look like a stale dinosaur. Even my friends with the 4S were saying that. IPhone 5 will probably win over style fetishists, though.

Ah, I suspected as much... I'm probably not going to take the chance. So if I want this plan, it'll be Android.

Hmmm... I don't know anyone on wind... anyone in the Vancouver area care to chime in on their signal quality? Customer service?

I've been on the doggie/rogers plans for years and it's been go so far, but not cheap.

I'm in vancouver and my girlfriend is on Wind. When she's at SFU she gets dodgy reception except for some key spots on the campus. In some building around town she loses reception while my phone on Rogers keeps up a few bars. Whenever she's at metrotown or brentwood, her calls drop occasionally.

It's really hard to say whether or not your spots you go to are fine, but if you are willing to save about 20-30 bucks a month, be prepared to get more inconsistent service.

On the other hand, you can call in to Rogers and talk to the Retentions department and negotiate for a cheaper plan. See RFD in the Hot Deals - Ongoing Deals section for a ginormous thread on Rogers Retention and how to deal with them.

My plan is about $47 after tax for 300 mins, my 10, 1 gig data, unlimited messaging, unlimited incoming, caller id, and voicemail. These retentions plans are seriously YMMV, and you'll more than likely have to call in 5-6+ times to get what you want (took me about 4 calls total to get features added/credited).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom