• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diomedes

Thank you to whoever posted the Max Payne 3 deal at Wal-mart, stopped by yesterday to pick one up and even managed to get one of the launch week bundles with GTA4 episodes.

I'm just about to head out, I'm considering opening the XL to test it to see if there's any issues like dead pixels, is this not recommended and should I charge it up full first?

daevv

As seen on RFD, I bought 4000ms points for $39 total from crazygametime. The 4000 point code worked on my Canadian account too! They also have 12 month codes for $40.

Sora_N

Just did ISPU for Mario for today, and ISPU at my other FS near work for tomorrow since I have to get another game first. :)

zroid

Banned
LOL WELL

I'd be lying if I said it went off without a hitch

but it did, ultimately, go off.

Got Blue XL+NSMB2+Steelbook

kaXAR.jpg

krae_man

Got my 3ds XL and a free copy of Steel Diver. Which I guess I can use as a paperweight or something. At least I can use the Club Nintendo coins.

Got mine at FS downtown. Even though their site says they have no stock, they actually have tons. At least 10 of each in their case and more that they were restocking.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Soooo many people were at Future Shop in Heartland, Mississauga.

A lot of people just bought cheap games and sold them for a 3DS XL and NSMB2 - Some of the employees were rejecting people for bringing collectors editions of games like ME3 and Arkham City, so dumb.

I didn't get an XL, but I did get NSMB2 :).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Soooo many people were at Future Shop in Heartland, Mississauga.

A lot of people just bought cheap games and sold them for a 3DS XL and NSMB2 - Some of the employees were rejecting people for bringing collectors editions of games like ME3 and Arkham City, so dumb.

I didn't get an XL, but I did get NSMB2 :).
Yeah, FS is really picky when it comes to what qualifies. If the UPC doesn't match the one in their computer then they'll reject it. Of course you can get them to do it any way if they're not busy and you're nice about it.

I'm being really lazy about going there today.

sikkinixx

Curse the mall for not opening until 11. I fully expect FS to be a shit show :( Maybe I'll get my XL from EB games first then swing back to get Mario.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Picked up NSMB2 for Max Payne, at Futureshop near Keele / St Clair. There was a line of about seven people at 11:45am, and it was pretty slow. All the employees at the store were gawking at the line for tradeins. I opted not to pick up a second XL (we had picked up one a week early from Staples), as I didn't want to trade in a bunch of my Wii games and didn't hunt for qualifiers early enough.

I'm pretty sure you'll get bitched out if not even denied if the games are still sealed.

Varies from store to store; Maybe even employee to employee. A few people in front of me traded in sealed games, and one guy was even flipped used Futureshop titles he just bought for a system without the employee questioning it.

It took me 35 minutes to trade in my games for the XL and Mario. The guy ignored me when I said I wanted to do the trade one for Mario instead of using my preorder, and he scanned it and then he couldn't do anything but void the whole thing, and then customer service couldn't return my $10 because it said the preorder was redeemed, so she just handed me $10, then the employee served all the people just picking up Mario before getting back to me, then he tried to put the XL and Mario on the same order, and it wouldn't work, so instead of voiding Mario and the one trade in, he voided the XL and 5 trade ins, so it took FOREVER. And every time he had to call for the supervisor to come over and type in a password. Seems incredibly inefficient for trade ins compared to ebgames, which is *scan* "that will be blah blah dollars" DONE. I know, I just complimented ebgames, but really.

Stage On

Gotta say the guy at futureshop today was really good to me.

Didn't say a word about the two crap games I picked up from Staples that where still in the wrapping and took the standard edition of Arkham City with no fuss which I worried about since it wasn't the game of the year version.

Took a while to process the order but it wasn't like I was in a rush.

Wasn't planning on doing this at the start but $45 for a 3ds xl and New Mario bro's 2? Score

Gotta say the guy at futureshop today was really good to me.

Didn't say a word about the two crap games I picked up from Staples that where still in the wrapping and took the standard edition of Arkham City with no fuss which I worried about since it wasn't the game of the year version.

Took a while to process the order but it wasn't like I was in a rush.

Wasn't planning on doing this at the start but $45 for a 3ds xl and New Mario bro's 2? Score
Which two games did you get off staples

TheExodu5

Banned
3DS XL picked up. Beautiful system.

Bought Max Payne 3 for $16 at Futreshop (price match with Walmart) and traded it back in for NSMB2.

Chatin

There was no one picking up the 3DSXL at the downtown Futureshop in Edmonton. Lots of stock, too.

Have NSMB2 coming in the mail from BestBuy, so I'll be testing the new tech with stuff I already own and have been ignoring.

Not planning to do a system transfer. Will keep and use both systems. Can finally enjoy some multiplayer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Picked up NSMB2 (Guy asked me if I had played Champion Jockey, and I sort of mumbled "not for very long") and got FS to price-match Wal-Mart on Max Payne 3. Awww yeah.

isny

napkin dispenser
No problems with Futureshop rejecting the turds?

About to crack them open...don't want to end up with a bunch of crappy games.

Nope, but our local store only had about 8 of each unit, so I wouldn't wait to go do my trade in if I were you.

Kazerei

Banned
Picked up NSMB2 (Guy asked me if I had played Champion Jockey, and I sort of mumbled "not for very long") and got FS to price-match Wal-Mart on Max Payne 3. Awww yeah.

LOL, I imagine many FS employees are aware of the turds. Pretty funny if they are just messing with people :)

elty

Their trade in system does not have any PS Vita game. Trade in guy ahs to call their IT which doesn't even understand what's going on. So at the end he just put use the 360 F1 2011 SKU in place so we don't need to keep waiting. Not many people at store opening, I think only 6 and 3 of them are doing the NSMB only. Red seems to be more popular though. (I picked blue) Whole thing took 30 minutes which is a big improvement compared to like 2 years ago when I did a trade in for GT5 + Driving Force GT.

Thanks to whoever post about tintin.

Also, I have a $10 coupon I get from Kingdom Heart. I used it yesterday but the rep didn't write REDEEM on it. Does that mean I can use it again or each coupon code is unique?

Palehorse

3DS XL get!

No worries about trading in the 2 FS used games I got though she made me open them up before she would take them. She did confirm they were eligible first.

Uptown FS had 4 of each colour.

zroid

Banned
So can I get an idea from you all whether your 3DS XL top screen has the "yellow" problem?

Future Shop is sold out, but I'm thinking I might just hang on to the XL without using it and get a replacement when they receive new inventory. But, I mean, if most of the units in the wild have this issue, then I probably won't bother. I can live with it.
I'd just prefer not to.

Big Chungus

What would happen if I wanted to return my 3DS XL?

Would Futureshop give me store credit or just give me back all the games I traded?

iphys

They switched all the 3DS screens from a more grey/purplish shade to a brighter/yellower shade at some point after the launch. There's nothing actually wrong with the colour: you're just used to it being different. For some reason I only noticed it on the top screen at first too, but they seem to have changed the shade on the lower screen as well so that the colour won't be too inconsistent between them. It's really not a problem once you get used to it.

daevv

Sadly no FS in my area of NL but I did get Max Payne 3 for $19.98 at Walmart. It was the combo pack with Episodes of Liberty City which I've never played.

zroid

Banned
What would happen if I wanted to return my 3DS XL?

Would Futureshop give me store credit or just give me back all the games I traded?

I think the policy is to give you credit for the games you traded at their normal values. So, obviously, this is not something you want to do :X

They switched all the 3DS screens from a more grey/purplish shade to a brighter/yellower shade at some point after the launch. There's nothing actually wrong with the colour: you're just used to it being different. For some reason I only noticed it on the top screen at first too, but they seem to have changed the shade on the lower screen as well so that the colour won't be too inconsistent between them. It's really not a problem once you get used to it.

Hrmm. I don't notice it on the bottom screen, that's for certain. Well, I'm not even really sure I consider it a problem, per se, it just looks a bit odd. If this is definitely how it's supposed to be, then whatever. I'd just rather not have a defective unit, if there is indeed a defect.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Girl at the counter said 'oh, another Max Payne', and I told her Wal-Mart was selling them for $20. She just said 'oh, that's why they all look new! no problem'. I don't try to dick around the employees, and I've never had one try to refuse my trade in.

DJ_Lae

Got mine, though I'm not convinced I made the right colour choice (if there is one, I think both are kind of ugly).

Guy at Uptown was the same one I've dealt with before for trade ins, very friendly.

And holy shit is the steelbook dumb.

ib0lDTrT5e7Y3c.jpg

Did my first ever trade at FS. Missed out on the nsmb 2 steelbook. Max Payne 3 seems to be the most popular qualifier. I was pretty surprised to see a big lineup to trade since I went pretty early int he morning.

I actually tried Champion Jockey last night for the hell of it.

It's in 16:9, 480p, and runs in 30fps. But I couldn't really get into it, horse racing ain't my thing, but maybe fans would really like it, look polished.

I really like how it's a crossover between Koei's G1 Jockey and Tecmo's Gallop Racer, great idea KT. :)

zroid

Banned
I think the blue one actually looks REALLY good in person. It's one of the better 3DS colours across all regions and models.

I didn't get a great impression from the red, but then again I haven't seen it in person yet.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think the blue one actually looks REALLY good in person. It's one of the better 3DS colours across all regions and models.

I didn't get a great impression from the red, but then again I haven't seen it in person yet.

I've seen both in person and I definitely prefer the blue. The original red 3DS had a much darker and nicer red for my eyes.

the3ye

Done!
Was quite fast ~15mins with both trades. Thinking about the color was 3 times longer. I picked up the blue one...not sure if it's the right decision...but I've got the regular one in red...ahh

Recipt for XL looks like a toilet paper, lol
That steelbook is so wrong, and the sticker on the side? Wtf, hah. I'll trow it away or do a giveaway somewhere

I've seen both in person and I definitely prefer the blue. The original red 3DS had a much darker and nicer red for my eyes.
So I made the right choice..good. Pale red is a no no

sikkinixx

Fuck people suck. Honestly, people were jostling for position as the Futureshop gates opened, RUNNING towards the game section and arguing about who gets to do their trade in's first.

Dude had black garbage bag full of games to trade in, wanted to get FOUR FUCKING SYSTEMS and 3 copies of Mario. They told him one per and he got pissed off. Ugh.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Done!
Was quite fast ~15mins with both trades. Thinking about the color was 3 times longer. I picked up the blue one...not sure if it's the right decision...but I've got the regular one in red...ahh

Recipt for XL looks like a toilet paper, lol
That steelbook is so wrong, and the sticker on the side? Wtf, hah. I'll trow it away or do a giveaway somewhere

So I made the right choice..good. Pale red is a no no

Really the red is more 'Mario shirt' red, and not pale. It's just not the nice dark blood red tone of the original red 3DS. But yes, blue is really really nice.

Fuck people suck. Honestly, people were jostling for position as the Futureshop gates opened, RUNNING towards the game section and arguing about who gets to do their trade in's first.

Dude had black garbage bag full of games to trade in, wanted to get FOUR FUCKING SYSTEMS and 3 copies of Mario. They told him one per and he got pissed off. Ugh.

I'm glad they told him that, as I'm not sure all stores would true him away. Hoarders ruin all the people legitimately trying to pick up a system and play it. Still, he'll probably get his four system; He'll just have to do more leg work. Craigslist / Kijiji is probably flooded with systems right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom