• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
bad news on both fronts: you can't both price match and use that coupon (it says so right on the receipt) and rhythm thief sucks. It is a bad rhythm game and a terribad professor layton tapfest ripoff in the too-long filler "adventure" portions.

Oh, well that is lame.

Yeah I wasn't sure, I heard mixed things. I have Theatrhythm already. Last time I asked GAF about that or Rhythm Thief, most people told me to go with Theatrhythm.

Eh, maybe I can use it towards a different 3DS title.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
30 for Rhythm Thief (well, 29 I guess) is the best you can do at the moment.

As for the game, it's fine. I think the problem with Theatrhythm is that you start grinding songs pretty quickly and once that happens, it stops being interesting unless you are interesting in improving scores that no one other than yourself can see. So far at least, Rhythm Thief has had a unique game for every song that they make you play. I think the use of the tilting is a little questionable, but otherwise the gameplay is alright.

Either way, since EB kind of bailed on carrying the game beyond first shipment, I just assume that this is going to be one of those stupidly rare 3DS games.

erage2772

Neo Member
does anyone know if walmart would honour that bestbuy coupon? I know they honour some competitors coupons. Best buy is 116km away and walmart is only 10.

Lothars

my store let me trade for 3ds and mario.... I wasnt even planning on doing them both at the same store cause I was using two of the same game but the csr said it was ok :)
Yeah the guy at my store let me do both trades right away than I brought a friend back and got him a copy of mario with the tradein.

I am really glad I did it though I don't regret going with Red, I almost think I should have went with the Blue, no big deal.

How can I do a pricematch at Futureshop?

Just go to the store and tell them who the retailer is who is selling it cheaper. They now price match online retailers as well, so they're more willing to look things up on a PC. If you have the ad that would make it easier though. Oh, make sure they give you the 10% difference as well. I've had a few of stores try to pull fast ones on me and just match the price without beating it.

seriously? that's a complete joke. i'll sell it to a person on kijiji then. am i crazy to think that my red 3ds (in perfect condition) is worth >=$100??

Sure it is.

I'm probably not going to bother selling it to anyone online. I'll take my $60 from EB.

krae_man

seriously? that's a complete joke. i'll sell it to a person on kijiji then. am i crazy to think that my red 3ds (in perfect condition) is worth >=$100??

Not considering the number of sales the 3DS gets and the fact that you can get 3D land or other $40 games bundled free(or close to it). Do you expect them to buy used systems for $10 less then what they sell them for or something?

btkadams

Not considering the number of sales the 3DS gets and the fact that you can get 3D land or other $40 games bundled free(or close to it). Do you expect them to buy used systems for $10 less then what they sell them for or something?
no?

i just think $60 is a stupid price to sell a 3ds. i totally understand people just not caring enough to go through the work of selling it through other means, but you can't honestly say that $60 is not a total ripoff. when the potential to sell my 3ds for a profit is there (got it for $99 through tsilon), i'm not going to take a pointless loss like that.

krae_man

no?

i just think $60 is a stupid price to sell a 3ds. i totally understand people just not caring enough to go through the work of selling it through other means, but you can't honestly say that $60 is not a total ripoff. when the potential to sell my 3ds for a profit is there (got it for $99 through tsilon), i'm not going to take a pointless loss like that.

You sound like one of those people who go on Pawn Stars thinking the pawn shop will pay full retail price for the item they are selling. Of course you're going to get more if you sell it yourself. With Gamestop you get your money instantly and don't have to worry about it not selling.

btkadams

You sound like one of those people who go on Pawn Stars thinking the pawn shop will pay full retail price for the item they are selling. Of course you're going to get more if you sell it yourself. With Gamestop you get your money instantly and don't have to worry about it not selling.

i don't understand why you feel you need to attack me. i understand how pawn shops (and ebgames used sales) work. $60 for something they sell for $139.99 is still a ripoff. i have never claimed that they should be buying it from me for the same price they sell it, but you continue to act as if i have.

i don't understand why you feel you need to attack me. i understand how pawn shops (and ebgames used sales) work. $60 for something they sell for $139.99 is still a ripoff. i have never claimed that they should be buying it from me for the same price they sell it, but you continue to act as if i have.

You're paying for the convenience of immediate money, so even if you think it is a rip-off it's not completely

krae_man

You're paying for the convenience of immediate money, so even if you think it is a rip-off it's not completely

Yeah this. Also in the past they have done trade in promotions when new systems come out offering increased credit when trading in a system for the new one. They must have way too much supply to offer that this time. Another reason why they are only offering $60.

btkadams

You're paying for the convenience of immediate money, so even if you think it is a rip-off it's not
i understand that, and even mentioned it in a post up above.

i just can't help but question the true value of that convenience when i could personally sell it for more than $60 without even leaving my house.

i understand that, and even mentioned it in a post up above.

i just can't help but question the true value of that convenience when i could personally sell it for more than $60 without even leaving my house.

Convenience tends to be expensive from what I can tell, but I'm with you on at least trying the other method first

btkadams

Convenience tends to be expensive from what I can tell, but I'm with you on at least trying the other method first

at the $60 pricepoint, i'd rather sell it to a friend. i can think of many people who would easily jump into the 3ds world at that pricepoint. i suggest people doing the ebgame tradein consider that. it makes you feel good to give a friend a good deal, and you'd get someone else to game with (if you are upgrading to the 3ds xl).

J-Man

I just did a really dumb thing: I went to Future Shop with 5 games for the trade, and of course, one of the disks was not in its case! I even got someone to give me a ride to do it, which made it worse... damn. Oh well, I'll probably head back tomorrow or Thursday and hope they don't change the qualifying list.

iphys

Gamestop in the US was giving $100 trade-in for a 3DS for an XL, so EB Games only giving $60 is a ripoff. I totally think you could sell a used 3DS for $100, but definitely more than $60, and it's not that hard to find a buyer between kijiji/craigslist/eBay.

at the $60 pricepoint, i'd rather sell it to a friend. i can think of many people who would easily jump into the 3ds world at that pricepoint. i suggest people doing the ebgame tradein consider that. it makes you feel good to give a friend a good deal, and you'd get someone else to game with (if you are upgrading to the 3ds xl).

Good point, if anyone wants to sell me their 3DS for $60 I'd gladly give them money for it and you can consider me a friend as well

Good point, if anyone wants to sell me their 3DS for $60 I'd gladly give them money for it and you can consider me a friend as well

lol
I don't see the need for a fight over this topic : )
It's easy, you wanna spend some time to get extra bang for your device just do it, if not go to EB and get less money in a minute.
Oh and btw does EB give you money or just store credit?

TheExodu5

Banned
Reminder: Ottawa Meet-Up

Where: The Works in the Glebe
When: 6:30PM, August 27th

Confirmed attendees: TheExodu5, Stumpokapow, isny, Chairman Yang

If you're interested in joining us, please let me know.

Sora_N

Things are working out pretty well so far.

FS still has my 3DS Blue on hold from yesterday for my ISPU, just need to meet with someone after work and I'm good to go!

zroid

Banned
Bizarre, the Reward Zone points for pre-ordering NSMB2 during E3 completely skipped the 36 day holding period (they were posted instantaneously). I was planning to return the game anyway since I ended up doing the turdflip at Future Shop, but looks like now I can return it and get $10 out of it too! RAD

Sora_N

Bizarre, the Reward Zone points for pre-ordering NSMB2 during E3 completely skipped the 36 day holding period (they were posted instantaneously). I was planning to return the game anyway since I ended up doing the turdflip at Future Shop, but looks like now I can return it and get $10 out of it too! RAD

Damn, I should have preordered at BB too lol.

So EB ended up giving me $67 in trade credit for my 3DS instead of $50. I picked up my XL yesterday which was paid in full with trade credit. Went back today with my OG 3DS and he says if I have my XL receipt he will still give me the trade in deal. Luckily I had it with me and he processed the deal. Not sure where the extra $7 came from. Anyways, used the credit towards me Halo 4: LE.

kennah

Reminder: Ottawa Meet-Up

Where: The Works in the Glebe
When: 6:30PM, August 27th

Confirmed attendees: TheExodu5, Stumpokapow, isny, Chairman Yang

If you're interested in joining us, please let me know.
Dang. Three days after I go through.

Anyone up for Montreal this week?

So EB ended up giving me $67 in trade credit for my 3DS instead of $50. I picked up my XL yesterday which was paid in full with trade credit. Went back today with my OG 3DS and he says if I have my XL receipt he will still give me the trade in deal. Luckily I had it with me and he processed the deal. Not sure where the extra $7 came from. Anyways, used the credit towards me Halo 4: LE.

Tax.

Sora_N

I successfully got nsmb and steelbook from fs, and also an xl. I could not pricematch max payne, the price went back up. Overall 100 bux for xl and nsmb!

The trades did not take time, waiting for overrides took time

Quadratic

I got NSMB2 for the trade 1 game at FS today. The whole process the CSR has to go through to trade in is so cumbersome. The game you trade in has to be added to a gift card and then applied to NSMB2.

Wait... preordering NSMB2 during E3 gave 800 RZ points? How come I never got this?

EDIT: Checked the website. Seems like the points were added then deducted, and now the certificate is processing. :p

Max Payne shows $30 online for WalMart. Is it $20 in stores?

I saw it for $20 as well, with a lot of copies in Georgetown, Ontario. The location also had a lot of copies of Rayman Origins for $9 as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Max Payne shows $30 online for WalMart. Is it $20 in stores?
It was 20 in stores last week anyway.

I got NSMB2 for the trade 1 game at FS today. The whole process the CSR has to go through to trade in is so cumbersome. The game you trade in has to be added to a gift card and then applied to NSMB2.
Yeah, it's weird. I went through that process back in the summer for the Vita games, but when I did it this time, they just entered the credit values directly into the actual sale. Different stores seem to have different policies anyway.

therapist

Got my xl!

Traded :
Kid Icarus
ME3
Max Payne
Tintin Wii (LOL)
Starfox

Total cost of these games to me : 95$.

Good deal!

I had gravity rush/f1 2011 to trade , but even thourgh theyr on the list they wouldnt come up at all so i couldnt trade them in. i was pretty pissed.

Luckily i brought kid icarus as backup and had a 10$ off a used game coupon so i just walked over and bought ME3 used for 15 and traded it in right away lol.
I felt dirty but it was satisfying!

I can confirm max payne scans at 20$ in store , even tho it says 30.
Also , the pack of max payne 3 + Gta liberty city stories is somehow also on sale for 20$...obv i got that instead of just max payne , LCS is only 6$ trade in but wtv.

I just sold my original 3ds on kijiji with a carrying case for $95, and I sold it the next morning after I put the ad up, so that should give people a good idea of what you can get if you want to sell it quickly. I just wanted to get my money back for tintin, max payne 3, champion jockey, kirby return to dreamland and capcom classics, and so in the end I have my xl and spent no money for it, yay!

iphys

I think I noticed this the last time I got a game too -- Kid Icarus I think it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom