• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Fuck people suck. Honestly, people were jostling for position as the Futureshop gates opened, RUNNING towards the game section and arguing about who gets to do their trade in's first.

Dude had black garbage bag full of games to trade in, wanted to get FOUR FUCKING SYSTEMS and 3 copies of Mario. They told him one per and he got pissed off. Ugh.
Scum of the Earth. Nice that the guy got rejected.

Mine was easy. No lineup, about 15 min.

Pikmin are now currently transferring the data from my 3DS. Nice touch by Nintendo.

I was surprised how easy of a switch it was, walked in with the 5 games and walked out with the system five minutes later. Glad I did it too, the XL feels great!

Thanks for all the tips guys!

zroid

Banned
I was surprised how easy of a switch it was, walked in with the 5 games and walked out with the system five minutes later. Glad I did it too, the XL feels great!

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Lucky you! I had a hell of a time, unfortunately :(

For a lot of reasons, which I won't get into, it's quite a lengthy tale.

Anony

traded it in, i was laughing in my mind when the guy said 'max payne and tintin was a popular trading title'
i told the guy the truth though, i said staples had it for 20 bucks
transfer system now

HUGE snapping sound when you open the 3ds to the 2 positions, the org 3ds has a nice snapping feel to it and it is silent

Darko

Fuck people suck. Honestly, people were jostling for position as the Futureshop gates opened, RUNNING towards the game section and arguing about who gets to do their trade in's first.

Dude had black garbage bag full of games to trade in, wanted to get FOUR FUCKING SYSTEMS and 3 copies of Mario. They told him one per and he got pissed off. Ugh.

my store let me trade for 3ds and mario.... I wasnt even planning on doing them both at the same store cause I was using two of the same game but the csr said it was ok :)

It took a while for me, at one point the guy at the cash was even like "so you'll pay the ~$150 difference right?" o_O

Luckily he quickly got corrected and he verified the list (and this is AFTER the guy at the game section already did so...).

Darko

It took a while for me, at one point the guy at the cash was even like "so you'll pay the ~$150 difference right?" o_O

Luckily he quickly got corrected and he verified the list (and this is AFTER the guy at the game section already did so...).

that happened to me... this was after the csr spent 20 mins doing the trade...
why didnt she ask me BEFORE.... then I had to wait an addition 20 mins for her to do the trade correct.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God, I fucking hate you guys. lol

120+tax later I have a red 3ds and a copy of Mario.

If you are in Toronto, the EB Games beside Dundas Square has a copy of 360 Cabellas (22 dollars) and the Staples at University has Tintin (Wii and 360, and you can use both toward the 3ds (at least that's how it worked out when I traded in my six games)) and the Capcom collection.

I really did want to wait and see if they'd build in the circle pad pro in the next revision, but oh well. :p

zroid

Banned
God, I fucking hate you guys. lol

120+tax later I have a red 3ds and a copy of Mario.

I really did want to wait and see if they'd build in the circle pad pro in the next revision, but oh well. :p

waahahahaha ONE OF US

Circle Pad Pro is dumb anyway, the best 3DS games (IMO, at least) are those not designed in such a way that a second circle pad would be helpful. And I include Kid Icarus in that group.

KarmaCow

If I have a dead pixel on my XL, can I return it to FS tomorow?

You have a pretty generous window for trade ins. My 3DS had a dead pixel a few days after launch and they gave me another one.

Though that 3DS also had a dead pixel so I went with Nintendo the next time.

jokkir

What games can I get the cheapest to get the 3DSXL? I already went to Wal-Mart and snagged myself Max Payne 3 for 20$. Can I just get 4 more Max Paynes? I'm guessing not lol.

I was thinking of getting Champion Jockey and others.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
waahahahaha ONE OF US

Circle Pad Pro is dumb anyway, the best 3DS games (IMO, at least) are those not designed in such a way that a second circle pad would be helpful. And I include Kid Icarus in that group.

I just couldn't let the deal go. Bastards. lol
The plus side is that I got rid of some of my Staples gift card money (what else am I going to buy there?) so it's almost like a I bought a 3ds XL at Staples for 100 bucks plus tax.

I envy you guys who managed to get copies of AC, ME3 or Halo before they were cleared out anyway. sub-100 would be stupid hot for the machine.

Has there been any news on when we can expect an XL charge cradle to be released up here? I saw that some people were importing them from Play Asia before release but the shipping cost is a bit too steep for me to fork over for a little plastic base.

the3ye

Has there been any news on when we can expect an XL charge cradle to be released up here? I saw that some people were importing them from Play Asia before release but the shipping cost is a bit too steep for me to fork over for a little plastic base.

I was expecting it to be day 1...but...not even single accessory :/

kitzkozan

What games can I get the cheapest to get the 3DSXL? I already went to Wal-Mart and snagged myself Max Payne 3 for 20$. Can I just get 4 more Max Paynes? I'm guessing not lol.

Champion jockey is rather rare, but this is what I got today:

Assassin creed revelation (360)
Max Payne 3 (PS3)
The adventures of Tintin (Wii)
Kirby return to dream land (Wii)

All for 20$ at Staples except Payne 3 which is sold for that price at Wal Mart (or you can price match at FS/BB) . :p

zroid

Banned
HOLY CRAP, I didn't even know there was a September $20 off $39.99 coupon on the XL receipts!

I thought the $20 off thing was online exclusive. Now I know where to buy Kirby's Dream Collection, haha

SickBoy

Great to see everyone successfully getting their systems. Usually when there's a good deal to be found too many people get left out in the cold. It's a great promo for gamers at this stage of the current generation, since deals can be found pretty often.

I arrived a little early at my store, had places to go and family stuff to do. Their trade-in system is, as always, ridiculous (I feel sorry for the staff), but it was pretty orderly and there wasn't a huge crowd of people... though there were a few other traders behind me.

System seems pretty cool. Looks better than I expected, although it's pretty easy to lose that so-called sweet spot for 3D.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I felt bad for the girl who did my thing. The problem is that the system needs them to enter supervisor passwords over and over again, so she needed to keep calling a guy over and over. I think it happened like 8 times during my trade. lol

So earlier I asked about exchanging my 3DSXL to FS because if this odd orange pixel on the bottom screen. I posted in the other thread, but for those of you with experience, would FS exchange my 3DS due to this:

1DE0D208-49B3-4DBB-A6A2-2ED25CD143AB-1253-0000012A6F19C1C8.jpg

Sorry about the size.

Yeah definitely.

Also, an orange pixel (or any colored pixel) would be considered a stuck pixel.

It super annoying but I thought Id be okay with it as long as the bottom screen isnt black. Well I go and play KH 3D and guess what, the bottom is the map screen and its framed in black. My eyes kept darting down to it. Very distracting.

So even though I did the 5 game trade deal, theyll still exchange it? Hope they still have some left tomorrow. :(

Darko

It super annoying but I thought Id be okay with it as long as the bottom screen isnt black. Well I go and play KH 3D and guess what, the bottom is the map screen and its framed in black. My eyes kept darting down to it. Very distracting.

So even though I did the 5 game trade deal, theyll still exchange it? Hope they still have some left tomorrow. :(

yes you can still exchange it... as long as its the same item.

Reich

Ebgames :

Jockey Wii 10$
Jockey PS3 15$
Trackmania Wii 10$

Staples / Bureau en gros :

Tintin 20$

Walmart :

Max Payne 3 20$ - but, buy it at FS and do some pricematch! .. 16$ Maybe, u can do the same thing for Tintin.

For people who bought NSMB2, was there supposed to be interior art? Mine doesn't have any.

Also there's not much of a manual, which is surprising for a Nintendo game.

Did Shoppers Drug Mart get the XL today? I have a lot of points and I want to use them since it is a bonus points day today.
I tried one and they didn't have it but I could go on a mission to some other Shoppers locations if anyone has seen one having it in stock? (I'm in Toronto)

zroid

Banned
For people who bought NSMB2, was there supposed to be interior art? Mine doesn't have any.

Also there's not much of a manual, which is surprising for a Nintendo game.

North America's NSMB2 packaging is totally gimped. I can only take solace in that I got the steelbook, which is even more useless than most, but at least the front and back are pretty-looking.

I'll delete this if this isn't the right place, but PC prices are much different in Canada than they are in the US.

What would be a fair price to ask for this rig? I paid around $800 all in (excluding taxes) 4 months ago.

I'm asking for $550. Is that too much? What's an appropriate price?

Video Card: MSI R6850 Cyclone PE Radeon HD 6850 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5
Processor: i3 2120
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue and 500GB Deskstarr HDD
Case: HAF912
Power supply: Antec 500W
Ram: 8GB Patriot Ram
CPU Cooler: Cooler master Hyper H101

Thanks for any advice!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Did Shoppers Drug Mart get the XL today? I have a lot of points and I want to use them since it is a bonus points day today.
I tried one and they didn't have it but I could go on a mission to some other Shoppers locations if anyone has seen one having it in stock? (I'm in Toronto)

Shoppers will usually get shipments of 1st party Nintendo software and hardware with everyone else. The one near Bloor/Yonge Station usually ends up selling me stuff early. Haha. Just call around I guess, but the ones that do carry games should have them in. Just don't expect the employees to know the difference between a DSiXL and a 3DS XL.

Anony

I'll delete this if this isn't the right place, but PC prices are much different in Canada than they are in the US.

What would be a fair price to ask for this rig? I paid around $800 all in (excluding taxes) 4 months ago.

I'm asking for $550. Is that too much? What's an appropriate price?

Video Card: MSI R6850 Cyclone PE Radeon HD 6850 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5
Processor: i3 2120
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue and 500GB Deskstarr HDD
Case: HAF912
Power supply: Antec 500W
Ram: 8GB Patriot Ram
CPU Cooler: Cooler master Hyper H101

Thanks for any advice!

not impossible to sell it for 550
you'd probably have a easier time selling it for 400-450

Quadratic

Isn't the Shopper's points redemption on beauty products only?

iphys

It was in their flyer, but the bonus points event is only a beauty one, so you'd only be able to get the regular $170 redemption anyway. I'm holding out for Mega redemption.

Wasn't planning to do it until I read others talking about it today, but after a bit of driving around, I successfully got my 3DSXL trade in at FutureShop. I didn't get quite as stellar a deal as some others did, but I did still manage to save a sizable chunk of change.

I felt bad because I went in right before the store closed, but the guy that helped my was really nice and very efficient. I wanted to wait for a different color, but this deal was too good to pass up.

Now I just need to get a new SD card.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is Rhythm Thief readily available at Future Shop? Their website doesn't have stock levels for the game.

I was thinking of getting it since I didn't use my $10 off of the video game department in August from Future Shop. The game is $39.99 at Future Shop, but $29.99 on Amazon. I could get it price matched and use the $10 off to grab the game for $19.99 -- assuming all goes as planned.

Is it worth it? I wasn't sold by the demo, but I still liked a lot of what I played.

bad news on both fronts: you can't both price match and use that coupon (it says so right on the receipt) and rhythm thief sucks. It is a bad rhythm game and a terribad professor layton tapfest ripoff in the too-long filler "adventure" portions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom