• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Do you mean driving or do you mean seabus to N Van?

For me, going up there is kind of considered a special trip. I'll never bus, and dread crossing Lions gate Bridge cause I'm probably gonna get stuck. There really isn't anything up there that Vancouver doesn't already have except for Ambleside park I guess.

So basically, long annoying trip.

Driving, I suppose? How would people get there otherwise, save for public transit? Unfamiliar with the Vancouver area, sorry.

I'm responsible for handing out free advance passes for a film screening at the Cineplex Park & Tilford in North Vancouver and wondering where my canvassing online can take me. I'm thinking I'll just stick to North Van if the trip across the bridge from Vancouver proper is considered annoying by locals.

Thanks guys!

Sora_N

Driving, I suppose? How would people get there otherwise, save for public transit? Unfamiliar with the Vancouver area, sorry.

I'm responsible for handing out free advance passes for a film screening at the Cineplex Park & Tilford in North Vancouver and wondering where my canvassing online can take me. I'm thinking I'll just stick to North Van if the trip across the bridge from Vancouver proper is considered annoying by locals.

Thanks guys!

Can't speak much about driving there, but I just googled it and yeah it's definitely annoying to transit from Van to that theater.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is not related, but anyone know a good place to buy shoes online? I'm talking about running shoes, but possibly leather/dress shoes as well.

I have wide feet, so hard to shop for shoes. Picking the wrong shoes in the past is starting to catch up to me, my feet hurt randomly now. Anyways looking for a store that is good to buy from, maybe in Canada? Thanks :)

If you can, find a New Balance store, they'll have a selection of 4E and 6E running shoes, boots and dress shoes. Of course the focus is on running shoes, but it's the best I can find anyway.

They do sell online, but at that point you should get your feet measured by someone to get the right fit first.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't understand how people can buy shoes without trying them on first (like online). I'm super picky about the way shoes feel and I'll wear them around the store for 5-10 minutes before even thinking about buying them. Sales people get annoyed I take so long.

As long as I know the exact shoe I'm buying (ie; I've worn and own it before, I'm sure about the size, etc), then it's no problem. But it has been a long time since I bought shoes online.

Sora_N

If you can, find a New Balance store, they'll have a selection of 4E and 6E running shoes, boots and dress shoes. Of course the focus is on running shoes, but it's the best I can find anyway.

They do sell online, but at that point you should get your feet measured by someone to get the right fit first.

Thanks! Yeah I think I'll check out the store again. I was just astounded how much more their stuff costs nowadays, but I'm ready to fork out a decent amount just to reduce foot pain.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks! Yeah I think I'll check out the store again. I was just astounded how much more their stuff costs nowadays, but I'm ready to fork out a decent amount just to reduce foot pain.
Oh yeah, I forgot - their stuff is expensive. I get the same pair of running shoes and the same pair of boots and they both cost about 200 bucks each. But having a proper pair of shoes is totally worth it. I was buying two and three sizes bigger because my feet hurt. Now at most I buy a half size bigger.

The other, more important thing, was that buying a proper pair of shoes fixed my over-pronation. That's where you are basically conditioned to walk on one side of the foot. I have no idea how bad that is for things like posture and whatnot, but I'm glad I got that dealt with. I still remember old pairs of shoes where the treads would be worn out on the outer half of the shoe. By the time I was done with them, my shoes were slanted. lol

I haven't been in a few years, but they (used to at least) have decent boxing day sales. You might just want to pick up a cheaper pair and then splurge a bit during boxing day. The main reason I haven't been back in a while is because I bought four pairs of shoes during one of the sales. lol

Firestorm

Vancouver residents, educate me quickly:

How is North Vancouver perceived to those who live in Vancouver proper? Is the trek north across that bridge or whatever considered a long or annoying trip, or would people be willing to do it for a night out?

Thanks. Doing some research for something work related.
I actually bussed from Vancouver to North Van for work five years ago =/ I didn't find it too bad although I was used to transit considering I was an hour away from school. But yeah, most will find it annoying unless they already live downtown.

Sora_N

Oh yeah, I forgot - their stuff is expensive. I get the same pair of running shoes and the same pair of boots and they both cost about 200 bucks each. But having a proper pair of shoes is totally worth it. I was buying two and three sizes bigger because my feet hurt. Now at most I buy a half size bigger.

The other, more important thing, was that buying a proper pair of shoes fixed my over-pronation. That's where you are basically conditioned to walk on one side of the foot. I have no idea how bad that is for things like posture and whatnot, but I'm glad I got that dealt with. I still remember old pairs of shoes where the treads would be worn out on the outer half of the shoe. By the time I was done with them, my shoes were slanted. lol

I haven't been in a few years, but they (used to at least) have decent boxing day sales. You might just want to pick up a cheaper pair and then splurge a bit during boxing day. The main reason I haven't been back in a while is because I bought four pairs of shoes during one of the sales. lol

Ah yeah, I'm thinking of getting a pair of good runners for rain/snow during the winter since I transit to work.

I found this pair, they look pretty durable. I may try them on during the weekend.

http://www.newbalancevancouver.ca/mens/outdoor-hiking-trail-running/956.html

But yeah, I learned the hard way that you have to wear proper shoes. Really hard to cheap out on them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah yeah, I'm thinking of getting a pair of good runners for rain/snow during the winter since I transit to work.

I found this pair, they look pretty durable. I may try them on during the weekend.

http://www.newbalancevancouver.ca/me...nning/956.html

But yeah, I learned the hard way that you have to wear proper shoes. Really hard to cheap out on them.

Good luck!
(I'm a bit sad that the Dunhams are mostly gone though. I've gotten used to them over the last 6 years.)

My thought is 5 days is counted as a week but It does depend on the company how Vacation is handled since I have friends that work 1 week on and 1 week off and their Vacation is actually hours based.

Yeah, it should be hours based, as in 40 hours off.

Otherwise literally everyone in your company would take the 7 day weeks off, and you would end up with one shift shy of 3 weeks vacation.

Flyers next week:

Future Shop

Prince of Persia 360 $9.99
$14.99 games: MW2, inFamous, LBP, Fallout NV
$19.99 games: FFXII-2, Dead Island GOTY, Blops, Kinect Sports, AC 3-pack
$39.99: Dance Central 2, MW3, Max Payne, Forza 4, Ghost Recon
Trade 5 for an 8Gb iPod Touch
3DS XL with Pilotwings $199.99
Kingdom Hearts 3DS 29.99
Skyrim with $20 Dishonored credit $39.99
Wii with Just Dance 2 $149.99
Wii Just Dance 2 $19.99
Just Dance 3 $29.99
XBL 12-month $39.99
Various headsets on sale

Best Buy

$39.99: Spec Ops, Skyrim, Max Payne, 360 controller, Turtle Beach P11/X12, XBL 12-month
$29.99: MW3, Saints Row, Batman AC GOTY, Lego Batman, Forza 4, Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land
$19.99: Dead Island GOTY, Just Dance 3, Halo

4GB 360 with AC Revelations $149.99

SickBoy

Flyers next week:

Future Shop

Prince of Persia 360 $9.99
$14.99 games: MW2, inFamous, LBP, Fallout NV
$19.99 games: FFXII-2, Dead Island GOTY, Blops, Kinect Sports, AC 3-pack
$39.99: Dance Central 2, MW3, Max Payne, Forza 4, Ghost Recon
Trade 5 for an 8Gb iPod Touch
3DS XL with Pilotwings $199.99
Kingdom Hearts 3DS 29.99
Skyrim with $20 Dishonored credit $39.99
Wii with Just Dance 2 $149.99
Wii Just Dance 2 $19.99
Just Dance 3 $29.99
XBL 12-month $39.99
Various headsets on sale

Best Buy

$39.99: Spec Ops, Skyrim, Max Payne, 360 controller, Turtle Beach P11/X12, XBL 12-month
$29.99: MW3, Saints Row, Batman AC GOTY, Lego Batman, Forza 4, Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land
$19.99: Dead Island GOTY, Just Dance 3, Halo

4GB 360 with AC Revelations $149.99

Skyrim is tempting coupled with the $20 coupon from the 3DSXL purchase... since Dishonored sounds like it'll be kind of a big deal.

Don't have the ad with me, but Superstore's got the DSi on sale for $20 off this coming week. I think that's $79.99?

Xiii2 keeps dropping to twenty bucks so often. Should I even bother or should I wait till it hits even lower?

Eh classes are coming back anyway, I dont have time for a long ass Iroh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd much rather pay $20 than buy a GOTY version :) ...plus I think vanilla is all I'll need to play.
Well, technically you're paying 80 assuming you do end up buying Dishonored.

Unless you're a crazy like some of us and have a 20 dollar 3DS XL coupon. lol

iphys

Just a reminder that it's a 20x at Shoppers this Saturday. Also, Sept 8/9 is supposedly a redemption event where 95000=$220, 50000=$110, and 25000=$50, so you might want to build up points to get a quick turn around on that, although I'm still going to save mine for December I think.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
so any one know if there are any online labour day sales for best buy/future shop?
Of course there will be. FS has already sent out emails for their's and I expect the BB one to be sent out shortly. The FS page gives an error when I click on it so here's the image of when it'll be.

alert-messaging.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Back to school game sale? Uni means I have even less time to game.

What kind of trickery is this :(.

So much to choose from! I can't decide.
Lego Batman 2
SF x Tekken
MGS HD Collection
Lollipop Chainsaw
Saints Row The Third
360 Controller

What do you guys think is the best? I've basically avoided MGS HD because it doesn't include MGS1 and I don't have access to MGS1 [don't own a Vita or a PS3].

cjkeats

Maybe they mean back to school as in "Everyones going back to school so this is for the people who aren't and can game during the day".

Like me....
oh wait..work. That's even less time than school

TheExodu5

Banned
Reminder: Ottawa Meet-Up

Where: The Works in the Glebe
When: 5:30PM, September 1st

Confirmed attendees: TheExodu5, Stumpokapow, isny, Chairman Yang

If you're interested in joining us, please let me know.

iphys

I remember I bought my Game Boy specifically for playing in school. One of my fondest memories was sitting in the back of the class and video linking on Tetris with another kid while we were supposed to be watching a boring science video. The teacher turned off the lights and we were trying to catch a small amount of sunshine coming in through the back window, while trying to keep our Game Boys under our desks so the teacher wouldn't see them. I honestly don't know how we managed to see anything on the screens at all -- it was challenging, lol.

Mikey Jr.

Me and 3 other friends pitched in to buy a gameboy advance and advance wars.

Every single day during lunchbreak, we would play advance wars using this one gba. Fuck those were good times.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the best deal on Borderlands 2 right now? 360 or PC.

I know you can get it at GreenManGaming for $40USD using DERHE-RRDER-RINGE (20% off any game pre-order until the end of the month, which today is the last day), and it's Steam activateable too, but I'm wondering if there's a better deal out there.

Luigi87

I know you can get it at GreenManGaming for $40USD using DERHE-RRDER-RINGE (20% off any game pre-order until the end of the month, which today is the last day), and it's Steam activateable too, but I'm wondering if there's a better deal out there.

GMG25-LABOR-DAYGO - 25% off at GMG, which brings it to $37.50

If you're willing to wait, Future Shop will likely have a Trade-2 promotion. It'll come with a steelbook too.

FS.ca is also offering a $10 credit on any online pre-orders.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, with the iPhone 5 coming, I thought I should ask - I'm coming in new, know nothing about any of the carriers and whatnot, and see that a lot of the plans are the same, if not similar. Is there any particular carrier I should go with?

I do have a land line and internet with Bell (for at least one more school year), but from their website it looks like they don't have a package deal that doesn't include TV.

Anyhoo, I remember the phone talk earlier in the summer, so I figure I'd ask here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bell, Rogers, and Telus are all terrible. Of the three, Rogers is the most open to abuse by calling up and trying to get retention plans. If you want basically every feature, though, the bundle packages from those three carriers are probably the way to go. All three will make you sign a lengthy contract if you don't own your phone.

Koodo (owned by Telus) and Virgin (owned by Bell) both offer the exact same stuff. They're likely a better choice than the majors if you want to get a lower end or piecemeal plan or if you want to change month-to-month or if you don't want a contract. I think Chatr (owned by Rogers) is pretty much the same.

Mobilicity and Wind are two new upstarts which offer better prices across the board. However they do not support the existing iPhones (no one knows which antenna the new iPhones will use to know if they'll support it) and they only offer service in major metropolitan areas--if you're outside Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto and surrounding you'll be roaming.

Yeah, with iPhone, I don't really have much of a choice. I guess it's sort of like choosing whether you want to be kicked in the balls or punched in the face? They're all equally bad? lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yeah, with iPhone, I don't really have much of a choice. I guess it's sort of like choosing whether you want to be kicked in the balls or punched in the face? They're all equally bad? lol
I don't know about you but getting kicked in the balls sounds a hell of a lot worse than getting punched in the face unless Mike Tyson is doing the punching and a small child is doing the kicking. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom