• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Okay, well I'm not too picky on stuff I want, need a lot of background noise and stuff and TV shows mainly.

I'll grab a free trial and go from there :x

You can see the selection of what Canada gets here. We had the service for a while and we were mostly happy with it, but it just didn't get enough use to keep the subscription. Netflix is incredibly easy to cancel with a click of the button though. No having to call in, or deal with retention like most cable companies.

You can see the selection of what Canada gets here. We had the service for a while and we were mostly happy with it, but it just didn't get enough use to keep the subscription. Netflix is incredibly easy to cancel with a click of the button though. No having to call in, or deal with retention like most cable companies.

This list is awesome-thank you!

I'm quite happy with the service, and we mainly use it to watch tv shows. I wish there was a way to add items to a queue because the interface (PS3) isn't that great. I haven't tried it on the 360 but I think the feature set is similar.

iphys

I did the free Netflix trial and paid for 1 month, and then there was nothing left I wanted to watch. I wouldn't use it again unless it was the US version or they gave Canadians a similar selection, because they don't even give us 1/10th of what the US gets.

This site is good, especially if you want to see when Netflix titles are set to expire:
http://instantwatcher.com/genres/523

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Mother's at the Civic with pneumonia. Maybe some other day.

Hope she get well. :(

The Outrage on Netflix is awesome, all the kung-fu movies.

The site mentioned on RFD got PC games is legit.

snack

I did the free Netflix trial and paid for 1 month, and then there was nothing left I wanted to watch. I wouldn't use it again unless it was the US version or they gave Canadians a similar selection, because they don't even give us 1/10th of what the US gets.

This site is good, especially if you want to see when Netflix titles are set to expire:
http://instantwatcher.com/genres/523

http://tunlr.net/

It lets you watch American netflix outside of the USA. FREE TOO!

Mikey Jr.

The thing about Canadian netflix is that its not "i feel like watching this today", but more "what does netflix have today that i can watch?". For instance, i cant just turn on netflix and watch the matrix trilogy. I cant watch what i want to watch. Thats why i cancelled.

Sajjaja

The thing about Canadian netflix is that its not "i feel like watching this today", but more "what does netflix have today that i can watch?". For instance, i cant just turn on netflix and watch the matrix trilogy. I cant watch what i want to watch. Thats why i cancelled.

But...but..... LOST......

FireVoa

Wanted to buy it at launch but had too much backlog but finally bought Lollipop Chainsaw for $33 which I couldn't say no too.

Wanted to buy it at launch but had too much backlog but finally bought Lollipop Chainsaw for $33 which I couldn't say no too.

I totally regret not trading that in when it was still a good value. I could have re-bought it whenever I wanted and got a better deal from it. :(

On another note - are there any trade-in deals for old phones? I've got a bunch of dumb-phones, and (in future) an iPhone 3G that I wouldn't mind getting rid of for some cash.

zorbsie

Finally got 95k Optimum points. I can use this to buy a 32GB Vita memory card right? Do all Shoppers carry vita stuff? Couldn't find any at the one I went to (Woodbine and O'conner, Toronto). Am I right in understanding that I can't get xbox points cards with the optimum points? I thought I heard there was a work around for that.

iphys

Assuming you can find a 32 GB card, yes. Generally the bigger locations have more video game stuff.

Some people have been known to buy something with their points and then return it for a Shoppers gift card to have more flexibility, but that's abusing the program if you do that on purpose, so if you did that frequently I think there's a good chance they'd flag you and remove you from the program.

zorbsie

OK thanks. I'll try to find a shoppers that has the 32GB card and buy 2. I can try to sell the second one at a loss. It's all bonus so it won't hurt too much.

iphys

If you're planning to do the 95,000 points for $220, you might want to just do the 50,000 for $110 and save the rest of your points for later when you actually want to buy something with them. They've been doing 50,000 points for $125 at mega redemption in December, so it might be worthwhile to hold onto some points for that -- use them to do some x-mas shopping maybe.

Omlagus

This list is awesome-thank you!

I'm quite happy with the service, and we mainly use it to watch tv shows. I wish there was a way to add items to a queue because the interface (PS3) isn't that great. I haven't tried it on the 360 but I think the feature set is similar.

I watch Netflix on my PS3, and it does have a queue. You have to select the item and then one of the choices in the list before you start to play is Add to Instant Queue.

filipe

An extra $5 for an Unblock Us account and you're set.

ElNino

Netflix (even the inferior Canadian version) is a godsend if you have children. I haven't rented a movie for my son(s) since I got Netflix, so I'm saving money by subscribing... well, I was when you could rent movies at least.

DJ_Lae

Netflix (even the inferior Canadian version) is a godsend if you have children. I haven't rented a movie for my son(s) since I got Netflix, so I'm saving money by subscribing... well, I was when you could rent movies at least.

YES. Their selection of kids shows is great, and the character interface on the Apple TV (not sure if other devices have something similar) is good too as my daughter can just flip through it by character rather than show and find what she wants quite easily.

MarkusRJR

Just switched over to Koodo Mobile's new prepaid service. I absolutely love it so far. I have 4-5 bars versus my 0-1 bars I used to have. I live in southern Manitoba for reference.

Way better than Virgin so i thought I'd just give my impressions for any other prepaid phone users.

SickBoy

Just switched over to Koodo Mobile's new prepaid service. I absolutely love it so far. I have 4-5 bars versus my 0-1 bars I used to have. I live in southern Manitoba for reference.

Who was your old provider? Rogers, I presume? (Given that Bell/Telus share network)

MarkusRJR

Who was your old provider? Rogers, I presume? (Given that Bell/Telus share network)
I was on MTS for a while and it was terrible. There's a Telus tower not too far from my house but my phone would never pick it up (even though MTS and Telus supposedly share towers). I went to ask and the guy gave me a bunch of attitude even though I was being nice and patient the whole time. Then he went on a long rant. I cancelled my contract the same week. I've been trying a bunch of prepaid providers since, and I think Koodo is the best so far. I tried 7/11 Speak Out and Virgin Mobile. Virgin Mobile in particular were really rude for some reason.

But yeah, I'm enjoying my new service.

Sera O

Banned
I haven't gone back through the thread to see if this was posted earlier, but there is a Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum 20x points on min $50 purchase, September 5th.

Here's the coupon for printing: Link

Question for Canada cell phone GAF:

I have an iPhone 3GS and I'm pretty sure my contract (with Rogers) is up. I know that the big 3 carriers all offer almost identical plans, but how much do you think I should pay for a plan where I want:

- a lot of data (at least 3gb)
- next to no minutes (i almost never call people)
- unlimited texting
- visual voicemail & caller ID

any idea/suggestions?

Starting tomorrow, Walmart has the BlackBerry Playbook 32GB Tablet for $148. Pricematch for more additional discount.

Credit goes to RFD.

I have an iPhone 3GS and I'm pretty sure my contract (with Rogers) is up. I know that the big 3 carriers all offer almost identical plans, but how much do you think I should pay for a plan where I want:

- unlimited texting

any idea/suggestions?

The problem in canada is that there basically isn't anything built for people like you. What you should ask rogers for is
1: 27 dollar talk/text plan ... Has 150 daytime minutes, unltd text, and nights starting at 6
2: 6gb of data for 30 bucks
3: a discounted bundle that has the call display voicemail features in it. While I can't say what rogers policy is, I know that there should be something between 5-10 bucks at rogers that includes call display, voicemail, voicemail to text and visual voicemail.

So all that being said, you're probably in the neighbourhood of 62-67 plus tax. But considering how high it is you can probably ask for 50 off the phone or the hug charge waived.

I just did some retention stuff with a rogers agent so I'm pretty confident if you just ask for this you should get it (assuming you're within 6 months of your contract end date)

Firestorm

Ughhh Future Shop is down and I just found out they had Pokemon BW2 for $25 each ending today @_@

- unlimited texting

any idea/suggestions?
Call Retentions for sure. Tell them your contract is up, you're looking around at different companies to see who can offer you what you want and would prefer to stay with Rogers as you've been with them a while, and that you don't want to pay over $45 but need those features. See what happens. I'm sure you could get something for less than $55.

SickBoy

Yep, your best bet is to call Rogers and see what you can work out (easier to get a deal out of your current carrier, I think). I would think you can get what you're looking for for $60-ish with very little trouble (EDIT: maybe just standard voicemail? I know it's a costlier add-on than regular VM).

If you browse around places like howardforums.com or RFD you'll probably see people boasting of crazy plans... those might require more legwork than it's worth for you... but a little bit of haggling isn't too tough: I didn't find it hard to get a contract that I'm very happy with through Bell, and at the time they were said to be pretty steadfast on not giving certain deals (such as allowing early upgrades, which I was able to get).

Never hurts to namedrop the competition. You can get a Galaxy SIII with a $40 unlimited everything plan through Wind. They might argue you pay more up front, but over the life of the plan if you're paying advertised rates you'll save the unsubsidized price of the phone over 36 months.

On another note, if you know someone who works in the government, you can get a government plan from Rogers for $45. I can't remember what it includes, but it's a pretty good deal, but I remember data is only 500mb. Plus if you get it from Costco, they give you an additional $75 gift card. Essentially you could get a Galaxy SIII for $65.

But yeah, I'm enjoying my new service.

Bell only recently reintroduced hspa service in Manitoba, and seeing as bell and virgin are pretty much the same, its no wonder tour service wasn't that good. The only places Bell really has service in MB is the greater Winnipeg area. And yes, telus ans MTS do share towers by it works the same way as every other partner agreement where MTS customers come first and telus comes second.

Never hurts to namedrop the competition. You can get a Galaxy SIII with a $40 unlimited everything plan through Wind. They might argue you pay more up front, but over the life of the plan if you're paying advertised rates you'll save the unsubsidized price of the phone over 36 months.

Name dropping wind or mobilicty doesn't really do anything to be perfectly honest. If you want that kind of a service, that's your choice, but bell/rogers/telus don't price match wind, so speaking to the retention team and mentioning one of their plans falls on deaf ears.

As I've said before, the easiest way to get what you want is to just ask. Don't skirt the question or say "ive been such a good ________ customer for _____ years" because that just insults the person you're speaking to. We can see how much you spend, how many times you call, how many years you've been around etc. Come with a game plan and say "I want this this this and that for a 2/3 year renewal, can you do it?" And 9 times out of 10 if its a pretty reasonable request it can be done right away or something pretty close to it can be arranged.

MarkusRJR

Bell only recently reintroduced hspa service in Manitoba, and seeing as bell and virgin are pretty much the same, its no wonder tour service wasn't that good. The only places Bell really has service in MB is the greater Winnipeg area. And yes, telus ans MTS do share towers by it works the same way as every other partner agreement where MTS customers come first and telus comes second.
Now I'm really confused why I have 4-5 bars with Koodo (Telus) and had 0-1 bars with MTS. If they share the same towers, why did I get such bad signal even with the same unlocked phone? :S

On another note, if you know someone who works in the government, you can get a government plan from Rogers for $45. I can't remember what it includes, but it's a pretty good deal, but I remember data is only 500mb. Plus if you get it from Costco, they give you an additional $75 gift card. Essentially you could get a Galaxy SIII for $65.

Do you have more details for this plan? Do I just walk up to the booth and ask for it? What does the plan include?

zroid

Banned
What the hell? Pokemon for $25??? O_O

EDIT: FS is back up now btw. PRE-ORDERING THAT SO HARD

what else qualifies for this $10 off thing? (apart from Kirby)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom