• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I'm thinking of getting either an iPhone 4s or an iPhone 5.

I'm 99% sure my contract is up with Rogers now (got a 3 year when I bought the 3GS about 9 months after it launched).

What would you guys suggest I do in order to get the best deal? Are Rogers, Bell, and Telus the only three that offer the iPhone 5? I'm in Vancouver/Victoria btw.

In terms of use, I barely use voice (calling) at all - it's mainly text and largely data.

Koodo/Virgin/whatever also offer iPhone 5, and are probably better for what you're looking for. In general, the big 3 are better if you want a lot of everything in some sort of bundle, and Koodo/Virgin are better if you want to piece everything out and only pay for some things.

So I'm thinking of getting either an iPhone 4s or an iPhone 5.

I'm 99% sure my contract is up with Rogers now (got a 3 year when I bought the 3GS about 9 months after it launched).

What would you guys suggest I do in order to get the best deal? Are Rogers, Bell, and Telus the only three that offer the iPhone 5? I'm in Vancouver/Victoria btw.

In terms of use, I barely use voice (calling) at all - it's mainly text and largely data.

My brother just got a data-only plan from Bell. Lets see how well it works for him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fido had a good $40 deal for people who don't call much a few weeks ago but it's over now, you should check them too.

I'm currently keeping an eye on promotions too since it will be my time to upgrade in a month or so. Anyone know if there's a good place that consolidates current phone plan deals or promos in one place? I don't want to keep checking all their sites or sub to all their newsletters.

Did anyone order a WiiU from thesource.ca? I just pre-ordered a basic one, and they already charged my credit card. I imagine they wouldn't have charged it if they didn't have stock, right?

bPod

My 3 year contract is almost up with Rigers (thank god) and debating if I should switch to Wind and grab the galaxy nexus. Wind offers delicious plans especially for smart phones

My 3 year contract is almost up with Rigers (thank god) and debating if I should switch to Wind and grab the galaxy nexus. Wind offers delicious plans especially for smart phones

Just make sure the coverage is okay. Wind's reception is nonexistent in some malls/buildings.

They also haven't posted their Trade 2 lists for X-COM or Dishonored...I mean, presumably it's the same as the Trade 1 for Spy Hunter/Just Dance 4, but it would be nice to know that for sure. I'm guessing they just took the long weekend off.

krae_man

Wind is awesome if their coverage area works for you. Just keep in mind that you can only do a $200 tab on the $29 Back to School plan.

You need to go on the $40 plan in order to have a $400+ Tab.

My brother just got a data-only plan from Bell. Lets see how well it works for him.

For what device? I've only seen a few data only plans, but most of them are from a long time ago, back when phones barely used data, so 500mb was considered "unlimited"

Unless something changed over the weekend, that's not a plan I'm at all familiar with...

Lothars

They also haven't posted their Trade 2 lists for X-COM or Dishonored...I mean, presumably it's the same as the Trade 1 for Spy Hunter/Just Dance 4, but it would be nice to know that for sure. I'm guessing they just took the long weekend off.
I just assumed it was the same games which I am going by and trading in for.

bPod

Just make sure the coverage is okay. Wind's reception is nonexistent in some malls/buildings.

That's what I am afraid of, but my brother is on Wind and he hasn't had any problems when he visits our parents.

Wind is awesome if their coverage area works for you. Just keep in mind that you can only do a $200 tab on the $29 Back to School plan.

You need to go on the $40 plan in order to have a $400+ Tab.

Last year, they had a $40-$45 plan which was unlimited calling and data. I hope they promote the plan again this year. I want the SIII but realistically it might be the Galaxy Nexus - as long as it's not a Blackberry, I'm fine

krae_man

That's what I am afraid of, but my brother is on Wind and he hasn't had any problems when he visits our parents.

Last year, they had a $40-$45 plan which was unlimited calling and data. I hope they promote the plan again this year. I want the SIII but realistically it might be the Galaxy Nexus - as long as it's not a Blackberry, I'm fine

$40 Unlimited Canada Wide calling, Text and Data is standard now. You don't have to wait for a deal.

Vamphuntr

There's a games clearance sale going on at Amazon.ca right now. Lot of old games at good prices but you have to search a bit.

Nier and Alpha Protocol 360 are like 11$
PSP games dual pack at 5$
Patapon 2 (voucher version) for 3$
Dead Rising Platinum Hits 13.50$
Capcom Digital Collection 360 (8 XBLA games on a disc) 12.50$
Kane and Lynch 2 8$ on 360 and 15$ on PS3
Crackdown 2 10$
ME3 PS3 24$
Super Street Fighter IV PS3 15$

Lothars

To follow up on this I traded in Lollipop Chainsaw 360 and PS3, Kingdom Hearts 3DS and Battlefield 3 for X-Com and Dishonored with Steelbook.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I have the following to give away:

- $20 off Halo 4 (regular or limited edition)
- $30 off Halo 4 (regular or limited edition)
- Halo War Games Haven XBox Dashboard theme

The $20/$30 off codes can only be used at Futureshop.ca and cannot be used for in store pick up.

Dunlop

Maybe not so much stock, but allotments. It seems weird for them to change me and when release date comes say it's back ordered. I can't even cancel my order, which is weird.

I would not recommend the source online to my enemy

here is a summary of what happened to me when I tried to order 2 Playbooks when they were being discounted (posted on RFD)

f you use the source I would highly reccomend avoiding their online store

I chronicled my misadventures on the last PB thread but to summarize

Friday
------
Order 2 Playbooks to PM staples, very friendly CSR

Saturday
--------
AM - Still have not received invoice, finally able to get through and it is discovered they screwed up my e-mail address. They are unable to resend the invoice or correct my e-mail in the system
PM - Staples has more stock, I am holding 2 in my hands and call the source in to cancel. I am told I am not allowed because it is "in production". I had been told by the CSR on friday that nothing would be done with any orders until monday, so I know it is bull

Monday
------
AM - Open online ticket, detailing above and how I would like to receive an invoice and confirmation of pricematch and shipping (never answered)
PM - Getting fed up I call back and reach someone after about 3 attempts, he assures me that he will personally send the invoice once my item has shipped (never calls back)

Friday
------
AM - Noticing everyone on RFD seems to have received theirs I call back and escalate to a manager who says she will call me back. Eventually I am called back and my order is "lost in transit" and that my CC will be refunded this week soemtime.

They did offer to resend me some PB's but after all this I had to laugh and refuse, also I will aparently get a $20 GC. The funny thing is the CSR who took my order was awesome and made a simple clerical error. The fact that this multimillion dolllar corporation is paralyzed afterwards to do something so simple as send an invoice or escalate a customer issue is insane.

I'm pretty sure my adventure is not over and I will be calling back when my CC is not refunded..but maybe I'm bitter :p

But he worst part of the experience is their phone system. It will put you in a queue, after 15 minutes it will clumsily route you to a different mailbox where it will say if you are accidentally disconnected to please call back...then it will immediately hang up on you forcing you to be the bottom of the queue again. Every single time

took about a week for my CC to be credited and only after I called back to say the next call would be to consumer protection. NOt to doom and gloom you as other people have used the service without issue but if there is even a single problem their system breaks apart

SickBoy

There's a games clearance sale going on at Amazon.ca right now. Lot of old games at good prices but you have to search a bit.

Nier and Alpha Protocol 360 are like 11$
PSP games dual pack at 5$
Patapon 2 (voucher version) for 3$
Dead Rising Platinum Hits 13.50$
Capcom Digital Collection 360 (8 XBLA games on a disc) 12.50$
Kane and Lynch 2 8$ on 360 and 15$ on PS3
Crackdown 2 10$
ME3 PS3 24$
Super Street Fighter IV PS3 15$

I think the prices are good enough that it's not a big deal, but people should take note that a lot of the good prices at Amazon right now are through marketplace sellers, which means you will pay shipping.

WOW. I am trying to buy Halo 4 on futureshop.ca but it keeps telling me I cannot purchase the English version due to Quebec language legislation. WHAT THE FUCK. I do not want to buy the French version. Isn't it my right as a Canadian citizen to buy the version I prefer? This is completely ridiculous.

WOW. I am trying to buy Halo 4 on futureshop.ca but it keeps telling me I cannot purchase the English version due to Quebec language legislation. WHAT THE FUCK. I do not want to buy the French version. Isn't it my right as a Canadian citizen to buy the version I prefer? This is completely ridiculous.

Lol Quebec

That sounds absolutely ridiculous

Weird. Maybe try to preorder in-store? I know you can at Walmart...

To follow up on this I traded in Lollipop Chainsaw 360 and PS3, Kingdom Hearts 3DS and Battlefield 3 for X-Com and Dishonored with Steelbook.

Cool, thanks. I ended up just going next door to Best Buy, since the lists were fairly similar (with the key exception that Best Buy took Risen 2).

iphys

Weird, I was reading on smartcanucks that someone was able to put their Wii U on hold at their SDM, and that they're planning to pay by doing a $170 redemption and earning points on the excess at a 20x event in advance. I wonder if other locations will do that if you ask -- might be worth asking at the next 20x event.

zroid

Banned
Weird, I was reading on smartcanucks that someone was able to put their Wii U on hold at their SDM, and that they're planning to pay by doing a $170 redemption and earning points on the excess at a 20x event in advance. I wonder if other locations will do that if you ask -- might be worth asking at the next 20x event.

Wouldn't that mean they'd have to hold the system until the 20x event actually happens?

If they are taking holds though, I may go ahead and do that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Anyone else get invited to Best Buy's auction website?

Hi Fuzzy,

As part of our ongoing commitment to offering our members the finest exclusive opportunities, we are happy to give you exclusive access to Best Buy's Private Marketplace auction website. This auction website lets you bid on fully functional open-box electronic products—items previously available only to Best Buy employees.

Bidding for most products starts at 99¢, and many items commonly sell far below their retail store price. Because selection changes often, we encourage you to bid on as many items as you want, as often as you like. But before you do so, please take a moment to read the registration instructions below.

Happy bidding and winning!

Returners

I'm also looking for a new phone plan but I'm in the GTA area, looking to get a iPhone 5 with it.

Is there any telecos that sell the iPhone 5 unlocked? I don't think so when the iPhone 4 launched but I hope they had changed their minds.

What mobile plan do you guys recommend? I don't mind a little less on calling and SMSes but I'm heavy on the data.

zroid

Banned
Is there any sort of deal I can abuse to get Code of Princess right now? Lol. I forgot to preorder during that $10 coupon.

I don't think Best Buy even had it up for pre-order back then. It was listed very recently.

I pre-ordered it about a week ago, and still no idea if I'll get it or not. It's showing sold out and my card's not been charged yet...

lupinko

I'm also looking for a new phone plan but I'm in the GTA area, looking to get a iPhone 5 with it.

Is there any telecos that sell the iPhone 5 unlocked? I don't think so when the iPhone 4 launched but I hope they had changed their minds.

What mobile plan do you guys recommend? I don't mind a little less on calling and SMSes but I'm heavy on the data.

dream said in the iPhone 5 thread that Fido sells them unlocked, I bought mine unlocked from Apple directly.

iphys

Is there any sort of deal I can abuse to get Code of Princess right now? Lol. I forgot to preorder during that $10 coupon.

I hear it's in stock at EB games as of today, but I don't suppose there's any deal unless you have something worth trading.

iphys

Wouldn't that mean they'd have to hold the system until the 20x event actually happens?

If they are taking holds though, I may go ahead and do that.

There's a rumour there will be a 20x on Nov 24th, and Mega redemption on Dec 1st/2nd, so I'm not sure if this person meant they would pay for it at a 20x before Nov 18th or have it held till Nov 24th to pay for it. I'm not sure I would count on them holding it till the 24th because stores don't usually hold things for more than 1-3 days, but I'm also not sure whether it would be possible to pay for it before launch if it isn't in the SDM system yet.

ElNino

I got the email too. Nothing looks like a deal.
The only items I've seen so far that are (possibly) worth bidding on are laptops, and the ones with no HDDs seem to be the best "deal". It's a bit misleading though as you would still need to add the HDD (obviously) and the power cord/AC adapter.

jcutner

I guess there's no way to know until the flyers go up - I haven't seen any early flyers for next week yet - but would anyone know/or guess if there will be any sales on Xbox Live Gold coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom