• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

Yeah, picked it up in Montreal today, though anecdotally they sold out all their 3DS stock to preorders and only have Vita versions left.

(And yeah, you probably want the 3DS version)

Huh, my city seems to have less of the Vita version. Which is the version I was going for, so why 3DS?

zroid

Banned
So, is this tsilon i keep hearing about like lockerz? Because that got old really fast for me. Do you have to do surveys and whatnot in order to get coupons?

Strictly speaking, no, you don't have to do anything to get the coupons, and it's a breeze to get to the minimum level (10) required to participate in the promotions.

However if you want to qualify for some of the better deals, you need to answer a lot of trivia and complete gaming challenges.

For example, the difference between getting a $20 Halo 4 code and a $30 code. Anyone could get a $20 code (level 10), but you had to be level 30 to get a $30 code. That would take some effort/time.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So, is this tsilon i keep hearing about like lockerz? Because that got old really fast for me. Do you have to do surveys and whatnot in order to get coupons?

Tsilon OT

There's some retro video game trivia. Never had to fill out surveys. You level up by playing console/PC games and submitting corresponding challenges. Prove your trophy/achievement and your xp level increases.

The biggest info you give Tsilon is your email.

Want an invite? PM me your email.

No, you have to get achievements/trophies in games to gain levels.

Oh, so the more you play, the more coupons you get as you 'level' up?

In that case, I'd be screwed if I were a member. haha.

Thanks for explaining how it worked for me. I always read about how tsilon is offering all these coupons and I always wondered if I should ask for an invite, but since I hardly have any time to play games on the console, it would be a waste of an invite in my case.

edit: Just wanted to thank you Liquidus for offering an invite. It should probably go to someone else though.

Huh, my city seems to have less of the Vita version. Which is the version I was going for, so why 3DS?

The Vita version of course looks nicer thanks to the higher resolution and vastly better hardware, but the game plays basically the same as 999 (you're tapping on small bits of the screen) excepting that it's now a 3D view you can swivel around in.

On the 3DS this is very natural, both for general gameplay and notetaking, because you can use the relatively sharp/thin stylus. On the Vita this becomes a lot more awkward since you have to use your finger or a capacitive stylus, both of which may as well be crayons by comparison. I'm sure it's still playable, but when I tried the Vita gameplay demo it was pretty frustrating.

Mupod

Strictly speaking, no, you don't have to do anything to get the coupons, and it's a breeze to get to the minimum level (10) required to participate in the promotions.

However if you want to qualify for some of the better deals, you need to answer a lot of trivia and complete gaming challenges.

For example, the difference between getting a $20 Halo 4 code and a $30 code. Anyone could get a $20 code (level 10), but you had to be level 30 to get a $30 code. That would take some effort/time.

I think getting from level 0 to 30 before the Halo 4 deal runs out might be impossible. I'm almost out of questions, used every single code from the GAF thread that was still valid, and completed a 2000-point challenge but I'm only level 22. I mean, I didn't get every question right, but I got a lot of 'em. How often do they update the questions?

Level 10 is hella easy though and that code stacked with FSHALO4XBOXCREDIT for a $20 game, but I dunno if that's still working.

I will say the trivia was fun and having incentive to play games I bought and never touched (walking dead, here I come) is nice. Don't really see a downside here.

krae_man

Oh, so the more you play, the more coupons you get as you 'level' up?

In that case, I'd be screwed if I were a member. haha.

Thanks for explaining how it worked for me. I always read about how tsilon is offering all these coupons and I always wondered if I should ask for an invite, but since I hardly have any time to play games on the console, it would be a waste of an invite in my case.

edit: Just wanted to thank you Liquidus for offering an invite. It should probably go to someone else though.

There are PC and mobile challenges too.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Having been there since January sometime...basically never.

I'm not sure if they've updated them at all, to be honest. Maybe they added one tier or something, but I don't really remember.

They added some assassin's creed questions worth 10xp each.. there were about 30 Qs..

I'm level 42, been a member forever now it seems.

Vamphuntr

This is not really a gaming deal but since we had the awesome pillow deal yesterday might as well post this since the stores do have some electronics and bargain bin games.

Not sure if it's nation wide but Canadian Tire will have a scratch and win card thingie on the 27th and 28th in QC. You get between 10% and 100% of your purchase in CT money and you are guaranteed 10%. Got the flyer and card in the mail today. Limit is 500$ in CT money.

If you shop there often and need to buy something expensive there, now should be the time to do it.

Mupod

I swear Canadian Tire used to sell video games. I don't know if they stopped or when. I totally bought Lands of Lore there in the 90s.

Man you guys are old, they never sold games there back when I was a kid...

Jesus, I was 19 when crash bandicoot warped came out... and you think you have to be old to have been playing games during that time? :p

How about me getting an Atari 2600 for xmas one year and I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that are much older than I am.

zroid

Banned
I see games on clearance at CT from time-to-time. I never could quite figure out where they come from... their entire inventory seems to consist of things that need clearing out. :J

isny

napkin dispenser
Jesus, I was 19 when crash bandicoot warped came out... and you think you have to be old to have been playing games during that time? :p

How about me getting an Atari 2600 for xmas one year and I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that are much older than I am.

You misunderstand, I'm early twenties and feel old, but hearing about things like games at Crappy Tire which I never experienced make me feel less old, lol

Biscuits

So total preorder noob here. How do Futureshop online preorders work? I've preorder Halo 4 from them online and it still says my order is In Progress. Do they only confirm these orders when they charge me and start shipping on the release date?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So total preorder noob here. How do Futureshop online preorders work? I've preorder Halo 4 from them online and it still says my order is In Progress. Do they only confirm these orders when they charge me and start shipping on the release date?
In progress just means it's waiting to ship.

If you got an e-mail confirming your order soon after you did order it, you're good to go. You'll be charged when it's shipped.

Mr. F

Banned
it's kind of beautifully ironic that you didn't know about tsilon before, haha

for reasons that... if you don't understand yet, you probably will soon.

...I get it! Only took a couple days, haha.

Any chance of some sort of non trade-in promos for Assassin's Creed III? I don't buy enough new games for any of those 'deals.' :(

Basically, praying for another Futureshop coupon stacking slip-up.

...I get it! Only took a couple days, haha.

Any chance of some sort of non trade-in promos for Assassin's Creed III? I don't buy enough new games for any of those 'deals.' :(

Basically, praying for another Futureshop coupon stacking slip-up.

Futureshop has trade 2 games for AC3. Unfortunately they have yet to post any qualifiers list on their site. It may go up tomorrow at noon, but who knows. Just bring in some recent games.

Im trading in KH3D and Uncharted Golden Abyss.

Future Shop and Best Buy trade-in lists both back online!

No ACIII on Future Shop, though, and Best Buy has a picture of NFS: Most Wanted on their trade-in page, but the text only says WWE 13 and ACIII.

Ultimate challenge gaf: find me a good deal on a leafblower, preferably corded. My old one scrapped out yesterday and I desperately need a new one.

daevv

I've seen commercials for a Assassins Creed 3 PS3 bundle but see nothing in any flyers. I've been holding out on getting a new PS3 so I can get this one. Will all stores be carrying it? I'm hoping for Walmart as I have $150 in gift cards waiting to use. :)

DJ_Lae

I want that, as I need a case for my Vita. However, the $30 premium is a bit too much for me.

Yeah. Well, $40 premium for me as I already have Golden preordered with a discount.

As with Forza Horizon, the LE then becomes too much of a leap in price. I want it, but I can't justify it.

jred2k

Unrelated to a deal, but does anyone know of a way to get Future Shop to stop sending me emails letting me know my order is waiting for release date? Every couple of weeks my inbox gets flooded with emails from my E3 preorders.

Sora_N

Unrelated to a deal, but does anyone know of a way to get Future Shop to stop sending me emails letting me know my order is waiting for release date? Every couple of weeks my inbox gets flooded with emails from my E3 preorders.

Use gmail and auto-archive those emails with a filter? Sometimes they're handy for me since I have no documented all my preorders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom