• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

I was bummed that I wasn't going to get my Overwatch beta key because (assuming BB is giving them out) I used my employee account, which I don't have access to an email through unfortunately.

... but then I realized it's only a three day early access over the open beta... I can wait.

sikkinixx

Anyone bought TVs from Costco before? The extra warranty stuff sounds nice and they have the Vizio that Wirecutter recommends. Ours is shitting out on us. Figured if I'm gonna drop ~$1200 might as well go 4K.

killroy87

Anyone bought TVs from Costco before? The extra warranty stuff sounds nice and they have the Vizio that Wirecutter recommends. Ours is shitting out on us. Figured if I'm gonna drop ~$1200 might as well go 4K.

I never have, but if you're referring to that 55 inch 4K vizio, that's supposed to be an awesome tv

etta

my hard graphic balls
I found a pretty cheap Xbox 360 Slim on Kijiji and wondering about the things needed to check before buying. It's a Slim 4GB matte, so one of the latest Slim models. Anything else to check for other than that it's not banned?

khaaan

I'm awfully tempted to buy a sealed 360 to grandfather. They're too expensive right now though.

I'm hoping they go cheaper but since they're discontinued I'm expecting them to mostly hang out where it currently is. I would love to grab a 360 for the handful of exclusive I missed.

I'm hoping they go cheaper but since they're discontinued I'm expecting them to mostly hang out where it currently is. I would love to grab a 360 for the handful of exclusive I missed.

That's what I'm worried about.

Mine is discoloured for some reason (bad plastic?) and is kinda noisy.

It was my 7th but got lots of use

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guys is there a PS4 rental service anywhere?

My PS4 refuse to turn on after my mom dropped it while cleaning the shelf. fucking fuck, right during Uncharted 4 release it had to happen.

I don't feel like buying a new console atm, specially because of all the NEO rumors. Might as well wait it up. BUT BUT BUT, I can't wait that long to play Uncharted 4. Had that copy pre-ordered 2 years ago at BestBuy :(

I probably just got lucky. I'd been trying to sell it for a while.

My PS4 refuse to turn on after my mom dropped it while cleaning the shelf. fucking fuck, right during Uncharted 4 release it had to happen.

I don't feel like buying a new console atm, specially because of all the NEO rumors. Might as well wait it up. BUT BUT BUT, I can't wait that long to play Uncharted 4. Had that copy pre-ordered 2 years ago at BestBuy :(

Sorry to hear

Madness

Best warranty service you can get from any big name retailer anymore. 2 years no hassle repairs/exchanges. Only 3 months for return now due to peoole abusing the fuck out of their 12 month, then 9 month, then 6 month return limits.

Just waiting for the new UHD alliance certified sets before we buy a new 4k 65"-75"set from Costco ourselves.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Patience will be rewarded with glorious 60fps master race Neo edition for U4.

Or you could just borrow a friend's PS4 for a week, maybe have to wait for them to finish playing the game.

Shoeless

Well, if you live in Ontario and don't care about how far it is, there's a place in Waterloo called Good Time Games that rents out PS4s, but it's about $90 a week, or $55 for a Friday through Sunday rental. That comes with a controller and a game thrown in.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Patience will be rewarded with glorious 60fps master race Neo edition for U4.

Or you could just borrow a friend's PS4 for a week, maybe have to wait for them to finish playing the game.

I only have 1 friend with PS4, and he plays Sports game only. no interest in U4. He is not someone I talk to all the time too, but I know him well. So I will only ask him if I have no other choice.

Well, if you live in Ontario and don't care about how far it is, there's a place in Waterloo called Good Time Games that rents out PS4s, but it's about $90 a week, or $55 for a Friday through Sunday rental. That comes with a controller and a game thrown in.

fuck that's almost 1.5hr drive from my place. But $55 seems decent pricing. I can easily finish the campaign in 3 days.

Man I am shocked, there isn't any place in Toronto where you can rent PS4.

Shoeless

I only have 1 friend with PS4, and he plays Sports game only. no interest in U4. He is not someone I talk to all the time too, but I know him well. So I will only ask him if I have no other choice.

fuck that's almost 1.5hr drive from my place. But $55 seems decent pricing. I can easily finish the campaign in 3 days.

If you live in Toronto, try A&C games. They're over in Spadina, not too far away from the east/west line of the subway station. They do rent consoles, but mostly they specialize in retro, though they might also do newer consoles. Call them up or email them and confirm. If they do rent newer consoles out, it should be cheaper.

etta

my hard graphic balls

You could always just buy one at Best Buy and refund it within 14 days. Morally dubious I suppose but they have this policy in place to compete and survive, not because they are kind.

BadHand

There was a promo for business lines where they would get a bonus 1gb of data. So if you have the two lines that you did the renewals or activations on you would have the 1gb per line plus the bonus data for a total of 4gb. Sounds to me you're okay and I wouldn't worry much about it. I think the promo data expires after your term is done though as that has been done with some consumer accounts. Did you talk to the smb department or the normal client care team?

Thanks for your help. I spoke to the business team, they didn't actually mention anything about this promo. What's strange is that I renewed my term in June last year, and this is the first I've seen of it - I found the information online and read the small print, I don't see how/why this has suddenly applied to my account.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I have non-video game related shipping and duties question.

I recently ordered something online and I paid tax and shipping on it. It turns out that the company I ordered from shipped the product out of some warehouse in NY and, when it arrived at my doorstep, I was hit with a $50 duties charge, which I refused to pay. Is there any reason why I should be charged duties when I've already paid tax on the product? Also, what can I do in this scenario outside of just paying the charges(which I don't feel that I should have to)?

Vamphuntr

I have non-video game related shipping and duties question.

I recently ordered something online and I paid tax and shipping on it. It turns out that the company I ordered from shipped the product out of some warehouse in NY and, when it arrived at my doorstep, I was hit with a $50 duties charge, which I refused to pay. Is there any reason why I should be charged duties when I've already paid tax on the product? Also, what can I do in this scenario outside of just paying the charges(which I don't feel that I should have to)?

Did you know the product came from the US? Was it written in the fine print? Unless you payed duty fees (import fees) at checkout there isn't much you can do. If it's from a courier like FedEx or UPS the fee will be inflated because they use their own broker which charge hilarious amount of money.

GSG Flash

Did you know the product came from the US? Was it written in the fine print? Unless you payed duty fees (import fees) at checkout there isn't much you can do. If it's from a courier like FedEx or UPS the fee will be inflated because they use their own broker which charge hilarious amount of money.

They did mention that duties may be charged(in small print of course), but when I order products where I'm expecting duty charges, I have never been taxed at checkout, so I wasn't expecting any duty charges here. Now I'm wondering who's benefiting from the tax that I was charged for at checkout.

Honestly, I would rather just get a refund than to pay almost $90 in duties and taxes for a $300 product.

They did mention that duties may be charged(in small print of course), but when I order products where I'm expecting duty charges, I have never been taxed at checkout, so I wasn't expecting any duty charges here. Now I'm wondering who's benefiting from the tax that I was charged for at checkout.

Honestly, I would rather just get a refund than to pay almost $90 in duties and taxes for a $300 product.

Curious, though, which carrier did it go through, out of curiosity? I imagine if it were through a courier service and not through Canada Post you could give them a call to check first what it is exactly you're paying for. Like out of that $50, how much of it really is "duty"? What if they'd actually included the tax in there? Then you could show them your invoice and say you've paid taxes at least, no?

GSG Flash

Curious, though, which carrier did it go through, out of curiosity? I imagine if it were through a courier service and not through Canada Post you could give them a call to check first what it is exactly you're paying for. Like out of that $50, how much of it really is "duty"? What if they'd actually included the tax in there? Then you could show them your invoice and say you've paid taxes at least, no?

It looks like it went through multiple carriers starting with UPS, then USPS and then finally Canada Post.

I checked the CBSA form on the package and they're charging me $40 for GST/HST and $10 for handling costs.

superbad

Why not just call Sony about having it repaired? Even if you're out of warranty, your repair cost will only be $149 plus tax.

Sony's repair centre is MTC in Whitby. You can even take it there yourself after calling Sony for a service tag number. Even if you ship it, you'll have it back before Uncharted releases.

Your mom should be paying for it, IMO.

It looks like it went through multiple carriers starting with UPS, then USPS and then finally Canada Post.

I checked the CBSA form on the package and they're charging me $40 for GST/HST and $10 for handling costs.

Ooh, then for that I think you'd file a self-clearance thing but I can't really tell you how to get that. I'm not sure who you'd contact from the CBSA to dispute that you already paid taxes too...

iphys

Sounds like this is Canada Post in the end. I've been overcharged before, and that label has some fine print on it on the back I believe that allows you to mail in proof that you've been overcharged to get your money back. I've done it before when I bought stuff off eBay that was much cheaper than how customs assessed it.

sikkinixx

Best warranty service you can get from any big name retailer anymore. 2 years no hassle repairs/exchanges. Only 3 months for return now due to peoole abusing the fuck out of their 12 month, then 9 month, then 6 month return limits.

Just waiting for the new UHD alliance certified sets before we buy a new 4k 65"-75"set from Costco ourselves.

Good to know, thanks. They used to have a year return window? Crap. I knew they were good about returning stuff but wow.

so i just seen a retail version of Paragon hits stores on June 7th. is there any chance that that game would be included in the E3 sales for this year? or do they need to have dates after E3 to count?

Sajjaja

I don't get it. EBGames sent me a code for the Overwatch beta starting May 3 on April 15, so it's weird Amazon is saying that. Unless of course Amazon.ca is just saying that they never planned on giving out beta codes to begin with, at which point my post is irrelevant.

Fularu

Banned
three years is not bad

try ten

post 107 then 112

Nah read the thread, not only did the poster bump a 3 years old thread to vindicate what he posted (he was part of a focus group for MK vs DC) but he didn't post anything between both posts, that was epic.

You had beta acccess the whole time??? /dies

Haha, Thanks man I do appreciate the thought!

And you were banned? Welcome back
Blizzard's stance on vanilla servers undid me.

I've been on the overwatch closed beta since January and got a random extra key from Blizzard like 2 days after my ban, sorry :/

Firestorm

There is no such thing as an Overwatch closed beta key. They only did account flagging. Any key is either fake or for early access to the upcoming open beta.

ohlawd

Nah read the thread, not only did the poster bump a 3 years old thread to vindicate what he posted (he was part of a focus group for MK vs DC) but he didn't post anything between both posts, that was epic.
Same with the dude in my link?

anyway man I'll take 10 years worth of ether over three

Fularu

Banned
There is no such thing as an Overwatch closed beta key. They only did account flagging. Any key is either fake or for early access to the upcoming open beta.

Actually no, there were beta keys and no, mine wasn't from a phising email but from a friend at Beenox

Firestorm

Actually no, there were beta keys and no, mine wasn't from a phising email but from a friend at Beenox
For the closed beta that ended in April? It seems weird that Blizzard would repeatedly tell everyone that there are no keys for the closed beta and then make them to give to a random Canadian store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom