• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think Amazon has just been experiencing a higher level of adoption in Canada within the last 6-12 months and has been unable to properly scale in order to handle the volume.

The processing of returns takes wayyyy longer than it used to and order processing/shipping times are brutal now. I've had two orders recently that were placed before their cutoff time, with 1-day shipping, that they didn't get out the same day. Then they have to deal with complaints and partial refunds because the order doesn't arrive by the guaranteed date.

The only thing that makes me think this is a plausible theory is hearing Prime subscribers also getting screwed by shipping. If not for that, I would assume it was Amazon using their near-monopoly status to fuck over anyone that doesn't sign up for Prime or pay for better shipping.

Fularu

Banned
How does that make sense with pre-ordering, though? It's not like they should be blindsided by demand and the shipping should be easy top prep and have ready for pickup.

Oh, I didn't know that. Never had it happen with any of my other pre-orders. In fact, I've never had this happen before October of last year with Halo 5 pre-order. Halo, Black Ops, Quantum Break and now Uncharted all suffering from this delayed shipping.
Does the $3.50 standard shipping prevent that? I'll just start paying that I suppose, or get Prime.

I don't think this is true, I've seen cases where people who pre-ordered with free shipping days before release (or even people who order after release) get their copies before my years-old pre-order.

I discussed it with various CSRs when my preorders (usually done when the item goes up for rare items, especially at the time Amiibos) and they explained me that they have two queues. One for preorders with free shipping and one for preorders with express/priority/prime shipping.

Amazon is a far more convenient store to shop from than 99% of the other retailers/eretailers, it's hardly surprising that they may be victim of their popularity.

Also remember, the fact that an item displays "in stock" on release day just means they recieved their initial shipment and will be processing the various preorders first. Depending on the game's volume, you can either get it shipped on release day (or earlier for release day delivery) or once every shipping paying customer has had theirs shipped. On the other hand if you pay for shipping on release day, you'll probably have to wait, so that preorders are fullfilled first

superbad

The only thing that makes me think this is a plausible theory is hearing Prime subscribers also getting screwed by shipping. If not for that, I would assume it was Amazon using their near-monopoly status to fuck over anyone that doesn't sign up for Prime or pay for better shipping.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% believe that they intentionally delay orders for non-Prime members. Also, I do have Prime, and where they used to ship immediately when using the 2-day option, they now wait until the last possible minute, as long as it arrives by the guaranteed date.

For example, I live in Niagara so delivery is next-day 95% of the time. Previously, with 2-day option they would ship same day and the item would arrive a day earlier than guaranteed by Amazon. Now, it's as if they intentionally delay shipping, knowing that delivery will still hit the guaranteed delivery date.

Sealtest

So did best buy ever do anything for the people they screwed with the overwatch beta keys? Seems like BBYBilly is avoiding the gaming forum atm so it dies down.

Ryne

Jesus, 4-5 years of orders from them and never happened until now.
QQ.
Does Best Buy do the same? Wasn't competition supposed to keep this from happening? :/

For me, BestBuy is here on release day, practically every time with free shipping. It helps that I live near to the depot as well.

The only time I got a delay from BB was when they received their shipment late.

Too bad BB's website sucks or I would do the majority of my game purchases there. They badly need to update their order status page. Their returns are better and they have faster free shipping to populated areas.

I shop at amazon when it's cheaper, and I don't have any issues with getting games late as long as they arrive. I don't need to play day one.

Sora_N

For me, BestBuy is here on release day, practically every time with free shipping. It helps that I live near to the depot as well.

The only time I got a delay from BB was when they received their shipment late.

Too bad BB's website sucks or I would do the majority of my game purchases there. They badly need to update their order status page. Their returns are better and they have faster free shipping to populated areas.

I shop at amazon when it's cheaper, and I don't have any issues with getting games late as long as they arrive. I don't need to play day one.

At least BB won't threaten to ban you for returning.

Lol

Jamaal23

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the steelbook for Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (PS4) is a case that's provided in addition to the regular case?

The bonus offer wording says: "All launch copies of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered will come packaged in this limited edition metal case, making this a true collector’s version." That makes it sound like you only get the steelbook (packaged "in" this case vs. "with" this case).

Out of the big name retailers, Amazon.ca is the only one to not have any mention of the steelbook offer and my pre-order is placed with them due to receiving a discounted price.

And to join real- shipping-talk GAF...

I wouldn't mind a slower shipping speed from Amazon, if that's what they were actually using for orders that qualify for free shipping, but when they're intentionally holding the packages hostage for a few days just to inflate the shipping timelines then that is just unreasonable. I tolerate it because of their more flexible Customer Service, better online account system, and usually better pricing, but it's still crazy annoying.

I still (pre-)order quite a bit from Best Buy for reasons others have already stated. The convenience of in-store returns and usually reliable shipping definitely help ease the pain of dealing with their antiquated online account system.

Unfortunately, I've had bad experiences lately with both retailers not sending out the DLC bonus offers that are usually attached to pre-orders. Definitely hate having to spend additional time contacting CSRs to follow-up on missing codes.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I discussed it with various CSRs when my preorders (usually done when the item goes up for rare items, especially at the time Amiibos) and they explained me that they have two queues. One for preorders with free shipping and one for preorders with express/priority/prime shipping.

Amazon is a far more convenient store to shop from than 99% of the other retailers/eretailers, it's hardly surprising that they may be victim of their popularity.

Also remember, the fact that an item displays "in stock" on release day just means they recieved their initial shipment and will be processing the various preorders first. Depending on the game's volume, you can either get it shipped on release day (or earlier for release day delivery) or once every shipping paying customer has had theirs shipped. On the other hand if you pay for shipping on release day, you'll probably have to wait, so that preorders are fullfilled first

Oh my god guys I talked with another support rep. today and they fixed it! They straight up said they were sorry for the delay and told me to make a fresh order with the game and choose the fastest shipping method (yay day one delivery!) and that they will adjust the order to reflect the same price and wave the shipping fee! I gave them 5 stars for all 3 sections and wrote an entire paragraph praising them lol.
So happy right now, I'm definitely sticking with Amazon and it seems you just need to keep trying chat reps until you get an awesome one.

i-Lo

Good day GAF,

I'm looking to get your opinion on a new laptop with decent gaming performance (my primary gaming systems are consoles, however).

It would be nice to have games such as Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun, Elite dangerous, X3, etc run at least at 1080p@30fps.

As such, I've chosen a laptop after much deliberation (& it also happens to be on sale atm). I'll attach a Samsung 500GB SSD when I have access to it next month.

The laptop: ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 Gaming Notebook from Canada computers

Now given I will not have access to the laptop before 8-10th June, will it be still be a good buy atm? Also, are there better laptops at comparable prices?

I was considering a Mac pro but the increase in price and the lackluster gaming performance makes me return to Windows platform again.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Good day GAF,

I'm looking to get your opinion on a new laptop with decent gaming performance (my primary gaming systems are consoles, however).

- Good move; Retina MBP is great but it's not a gaming machine
- PoE/Shadowrun probably don't need a lot of performance
- Elite: Dangerous does though, you can run it on this but I guess would need to drop settings a bit

Personally I would prefer something with a GTX980M, but that build does at least have the right idea in terms of using 1080p instead of 4K and a pretty beefy mobile CPU. And maybe GTX980M builds are too expensive?

I can't speak to prices or if there are better options out there except to say:
1. Read reviews of that laptop; even if it's not exactly the same spec, read reviews of the model so you can get an idea of the quirks involved.

2. Remember that if you're gaming at all it's going to be sitting on a desk and plugged into the wall.

If a Mac Pro was an option for a new gaming PC (though, huh?), why are you even bothering with laptops? Put a desktop together, it'll be cheaper and faster for sure.

If a Mac Pro was an option for a new gaming PC (though, huh?), why are you even bothering with laptops? Put a desktop together, it'll be cheaper and faster for sure.

Pretty sure i-Lo meant a MBP

But the core of your point is right - a desktop is a much better gaming option. A 960 will outperform a 960M, and so on.

EDIT: And to i-Lo's timing question, it doesn't matter. Not unless you plan on becoming a day one GTX1070 purchaser, which doesn't seem to be the case.

i-Lo

Pretty sure i-Lo meant a MBP

But the core of your point is right - a desktop is a much better gaming option. A 960 will outperform a 960M, and so on.

EDIT: And to i-Lo's timing question, it doesn't matter. Not unless you plan on becoming a day one GTX1070 purchaser, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Not getting a desktop because I'll be in NL starting sept. for my final year before returning home to ON.

Ventara

So guys, I just got myself a Galaxy A5 and I want to take advantage of being able to add external storage. I'm thinking of buying this Micro SD. Seems to be good and at a good price. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Edit: Went ahead and got it.

Firestorm

$59 now for the Origins Edition, do they sell the regular as well? Fuck, I wish I had gotten into one of the closed betas before because I didn't know I needed this in my life so badly. Have you guys had any success trading games from the E3 preorders to any preorder really. If I could swap my Odin Sphere for this it would be fantastic, either on BB or Amazon.

Depending on how you feel about G2A, it's available there for about $42 USD / $54 CAD for today as part of the finals of the Overkill tournament they're sponsoring with GosuGamers. I think the 3% coupon everyone always has may stack on it?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Depending on how you feel about G2A, it's available there for about $42 USD / $54 CAD for today as part of the finals of the Overkill tournament they're sponsoring with GosuGamers. I think the 3% coupon everyone always has may stack on it?

Thanks for sharing this!

I also played the open beta today and yesterday, and I thought I was going to skip this game, but its so fun.

Thanks for that (my backlog is not thanking you!), much cheaper than 80$+Tx since I did not preorder this at all!

So happy right now, I'm definitely sticking with Amazon and it seems you just need to keep trying chat reps until you get an awesome one.

I think you shouldn't really rely on pestering the reps until you get a speedy reshipment with Amazon. Hasn't there been people posting about reps warning users who've done this several times about how their account has been flagged because of their complaints/special requests?

So, imo, just order from Amazon if you really want that discount and don't care about when your item will make it to you.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think you shouldn't really rely on pestering the reps until you get a speedy reshipment with Amazon. Hasn't there been people posting about reps warning users who've done this several times about how their account has been flagged because of their complaints/special requests?

So, imo, just order from Amazon if you really want that discount and don't care about when your item will make it to you.
No I meant I was going to start using standard shipping instead of free and just keep using Amazon because more often than not they got awesome customer service.
As for account flagging, I've never heard about that. I only contacted them with legitimate complaints though, such as late shipping.

'm definitely sticking with Amazon and it seems you just need to keep trying chat reps until you get an awesome one.

I don't want to burst your bubble of excitement. But I've had this happen before and in the end my shipment got delayed anyway, it didn't ship out on the Monday and Tuesday morning it got delayed a week. You gotta save those post chat reviews until you actually see results. Some guy from across the globe might change things up on the system but it doesn't mean the warehouse will follow through.

No I meant I was going to start using standard shipping instead of free and just keep using Amazon because more often than not they got awesome customer service.
As for account flagging, I've never heard about that. I only contacted them with legitimate complaints though, such as late shipping.

Oh, that makes sense! I've actually wanted to try that but I wasn't sure if changing it to standard shipping would change much (since it isn't express/prime). Anyway, I think standard probably wouldn't change much for me since they not only delay shipping for my stuff, they also ship it from the other side of Canada...

I think even legitimate complaints (might) get flagged too, though. Someone from this thread was talking about how he contacted Amazon about several of his packages arriving damaged (he asked for replacements to be sent), and they eventually told him about his flagged status and how they could eventually get his account closed for it.

I think even legitimate complaints (might) get flagged too, though. Someone from this thread was talking about how he contacted Amazon about several of his packages arriving damaged (he asked for replacements to be sent), and they eventually told him about his flagged status and how they could eventually get his account closed for it.

I don't think they would close or even flag your account for complaining. If you return items regularly or ask for refunds then sure. But not for complaining about shipping.

There are people who abuse the system, and in that case, sure, it's not worth the hassle to keep that one customer. Maybe even if you're extremely rude and cuss out CS reps. But complaining about shipping being delayed or items being held would be an extremely ridiculous reason to get banned.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't want to burst your bubble of excitement. But I've had this happen before and in the end my shipment got delayed anyway, it didn't ship out on the Monday and Tuesday morning it got delayed a week. You gotta save those post chat reviews until you actually see results. Some guy from across the globe might change things up on the system but it doesn't mean the warehouse will follow through.
Err, the shipping estimate changed, though. It used to say that the item is pre-ordered and will ship May 13 and arrive May 17-19, but now it says it's pre-ordered and it will ship May 9 and arrive May 10. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it changes from pre-ordered to preparing for shipment before ultimately shipping out.

Oh, that makes sense! I've actually wanted to try that but I wasn't sure if changing it to standard shipping would change much (since it isn't express/prime). Anyway, I think standard probably wouldn't change much for me since they not only delay shipping for my stuff, they also ship it from the other side of Canada...

That's probably for refunds, though, hmmmmm. Hopefully I won't have to do any refunds in the future, haven't had a single refund so far.
Also, as Fularu mentioned, they probably have just two queues, one for paid shipping and one for free shipping. It's kinda shitty that they have this in the first place, free shipping has been a standard introduced by competition. But they probably have a large chunk of the market here and maybe decided to make some changes.

khaaan

Overwatch is so good, I'm upset I missed the $50 price at CDKeys. I know it's still a good deal but the random skins it comes with doesn't interest me. Will cross my fingers and hope there's a better deal sometime soon.

Sajjaja

Overwatch is so good, I'm upset I missed the $50 price. I know it's still a good deal but the random skins it comes with doesn't interest me. Will cross my fingers and hope there's a better deal sometime soon.

If you're playing on PC, you can get the basic $40 USD version which comes out to about $52 CAD more or less.

Err, the shipping estimate changed, though. It used to say that the item is pre-ordered and will ship May 13 and arrive May 17-19, but now it says it's preordered and it will ship May 9 and arrive May 10. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it changes from preordered to preparing for shipment before ultimately shipping out.

Copy/Paste from my transcript. It was Blops 3 and I ended up cancelling and buying from PSN (which I regret immensely, lol)

My order was originally stated for delivery today, November 6th. On Friday I had received an email delaying it one week. I spoke with a representative over the weekend who fixed my issue and confirmed release day delivery. I didn't choose free shipping, I payed for the quickest option available and was assured that I would have it delivered on Nov 6th. Suddenly today on the 6th of November the order status changed yet again and now says Nov 12th-13th.

My Uncharted was supposed to ship out on Friday and it did not. Now it's supposed to ship out tomorrow, I'm expecting them to fuck it up again to avoid disappointment.

khaaan

If you're playing on PC, you can get the basic $40 USD version which comes out to about $52 CAD more or less.

From Blizzard themselves? Hmm, that's tempting too...at least I know it won't go up* in price so I could take a month or two to gauge any deals.

*Assuming our dollar doesn't freak out.

Firestorm

The $40 USD version without the extra skins and cosmetics in other games is only available through Blizzard on Battle.net so you won't see sales on it for probably at least a year. The $60 USD Origins Edition is the retail version which is what you're seeing on sale though in the end the sales all seem to bottom out around the regular edition price.

Regular edition is https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/overwatch

etta

my hard graphic balls
Copy/Paste from my transcript. It was Blops 3 and I ended up cancelling and buying from PSN (which I regret immensely, lol)

My Uncharted was supposed to ship out on Friday and it did not. Now it's supposed to ship out tomorrow, I'm expecting them to fuck it up again to avoid disappointment.

635741577791730100-1890818856_tumblr_nprluqrYwI1qcybmwo3_250.gif

I'm gonna go pray until tomorrow then.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I also played the open beta today and yesterday, and I thought I was going to skip this game, but its so fun.

Thanks for that (my backlog is not thanking you!), much cheaper than 80$+Tx since I did not preorder this at all!

Make sure you use the code LIRIK on checkout for a few bucks off.

23qwerty

The $40 USD version without the extra skins and cosmetics in other games is only available through Blizzard on Battle.net so you won't see sales on it for probably at least a year. The $60 USD Origins Edition is the retail version which is what you're seeing on sale though in the end the sales all seem to bottom out around the regular edition price.

Regular edition is https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/overwatch
Buying the Origins edition through G2A is pretty much the same price as the regular edition through Blizzard in Canada

terrible

Banned
Somehow my payment for Uncharted failed with Amazon. I just clicked retry with the "revise payment method" and now it's fine. Expected delivery is next week now though (18th).

They're a mess. 2nd game order in a row they've fucked up.

krae_man

My My Uncharted 4 preorder has been in "being shipped soon" limbo since April 29th. The estimated arrival time was May 5th-11th with the starting date in the range changing as May 5th passed.

I sent an email today asking "when are you going to ship it?" and the rep says "sorry, *reason that makes no sense* I'll upgrade your shipping to express at no charge.

Not that I care what the reason is. I don't expect to get the game early, but I do expect it tomorrow. So I ask "will I get the game tomorrow?" and I'm told "I will email you by tomorrow to let you know". Like really?

Now my order says "Will ship May 13th" with an estimated delivery of May 17-18.

"express at no charge" :lol

balohna

Best Buy was once like 5 days late and they gave me a gift card to apologize. This was almost 5 years ago, though (Arkham City). I think it was like $10 or maybe $20 - nothing huge, but a nice gesture for sure. I used it to buy Skyward Sword.

In general I find BB is easier to deal with and more consistent than Amazon for the E3 deals. This year, if everything else is the same, I'll go with BB. Last year I used Amazon for some reason - I think maybe they put up the sale before Best Buy?

killroy87

Best Buy was once like 5 days late and they gave me a gift card to apologize. This was almost 5 years ago, though (Arkham City). I think it was like $10 or maybe $20 - nothing huge, but a nice gesture for sure. I used it to buy Skyward Sword.

In general I find BB is easier to deal with and more consistent than Amazon for the E3 deals. This year, if everything else is the same, I'll go with BB. Last year I used Amazon for some reason - I think maybe they put up the sale before Best Buy?

Amazon had a much better E3 deal last year. better discount, more titles, and less restrictive. Plus the added bonus of their fluctuating price mistakes.

If both companies had the same deals though, I'd go with BB. Better shipping, and easier returns for me since I can just walk to a BB.

vulva

Guys I ordered a thing but it is shipping today with an arrival date of tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what this means and tell me 8 other shipping cases so I can harass Amazon for a free copy?

Guys I ordered a thing but it is shipping today with an arrival date of tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what this means and tell me 8 other shipping cases so I can harass Amazon for a free copy?

Is the status preparing for shipment or shipping today?

I seriously like the shipping talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom