• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora_N

I've kinda taken the next step lately. I use flex delivery to just get it sent straight to the post office so I don't have to wait the extra day. I just pick it up once it arrives there instead.

My work is near the post office so any Canada Post stuff i just send to my flex as well.

Well, I opened the Dusk Shadow controller I bought off of Best Buy. I ordered it online, and although there was a puncture in the box it didn't go all the way through and when I tested it with my finger it held up. So I felt safe to open it.

I opened it the other night and took the controller out and cleaned it (how the fuck do they get so dusty in that packaging?) with alcohol wipes today. It was then that I noticed some scratches on the front and back ("Okay. You can't expect perfection. If you get another one it'll be the same, except they could be worse.") Then, I looked closer and noticed something as I turned it over: I could see clips when I looked inside the left edge where the two parts meet.

It turns out the thing wasn't put together properly, and there was more room on the left side. You could see the clips if you looked closely, and putting a bit of pressure on it didn't fix it. So I took it back and they exchanged it for me tonight.

It was close to closing time, and the hot girl who served me was surely wanting to go home. She was really nice, though. She asked if I wanted to exchange it and I said yes, or just to get my money back, but I knew that wouldn't be likely since it'd been opened. She had a guy go look for more, and he brought one -- complete with that box ruining, roped security protection thing they put on certain items -- and she exchanged it for that one. I didn't bug them to get one with a better box, because I knew the damage from the tight security rope would only be to the box itself.

I was kind of wishing I could just get my money back because the controller was kind of disappointing in person, and not having the grips made it feel a bit cheap, but I had opened it so I didn't really ask.

I told her about the problem and she quickly looked. She acted like she saw it and agreed, but I don't know if she looked close enough. Either way, good customer service.

She said we'd open the new one up and check it, but I asked her if I could check it at home because I have OCD and like to wash my hands before touching controllers. She was fine with that, and didn't even slice it open -- which I thought she had to and said would be more than fine, as it's necessary for exchanges usually. But she didn't.

I may just sell it on Kijiji and try to get $70 or so, out of my $85 back. I'm not sure.

Guys, I need to find a cheap laptop that can be used for browsing the Internet, watching YouTube and writing. I'd prefer not to get a Chromebook, but really don't want to spend more than $200-220.

Is this possible?

Posted some silly tracking info but it turns out it was incorrect lol

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if it was a reply to me or not, but I didn't think so.

RS4-

Ok what the fuck is this shit at the UC4 midnight release at flagship Toronto.

When did they have this bullshit about the platinum card holder line, and the "other" line.

Platinum card holders get their game first, etc. What the fuck?

ohlawd

When did they have this bullshit about the platinum card holder line, and the "other" line.

had to go through that bullshit with the MH4U 3DS launch. that was a year ago and I found out it's been happening earlier than that. any high profile game or console launch gets that posh treatment with the platinum card and crap

you could buy a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard

I thought about that, but I really just want a regular laptop. I'm not a tablet fan, and don't need the touchscreen.

There was a Lenovo on BestBuy.com that a friend was going to buy for me, but my employer didn't give the go ahead to buy it until it was too late. It's not on sale anymore.

It would've been about $193.

For two to three years maybe? They did that at the consoles' midnight launches.

Renewed

When did Halo 4 come out? It was happening back then. Probably before that too.

RS4-

had to go through that bullshit with the MH4U 3DS launch. that was a year ago and I found out it's been happening earlier than that. any high profile game or console launch gets that posh treatment with the platinum card and crap

For two to three years maybe? They did that at the consoles' midnight launches.

Ah ok, thanks. Fucking garbage. News to me, since I haven't bought a game from EB in quite some time, and I don't think I've gone to a midnight release of theirs in...a very long time.

Fuck 'em

Ah ok, thanks. Fucking garbage. News to me, since I haven't bought a game from EB in quite some time, and I don't think I've gone to a midnight release of theirs in...a very long time.

Fuck 'em

It is kind of shitty.

But, at least it gives people who do buy the cards more reason to own one. That's not the best reason to buy one, and not why I'd suggest doing so, but it's a perk.

I can see it alienating customers, though, and it's not something I would do if it was my business.

RS4-

Amazing. Instead of just having one line after midnight, the lines are still split and they're just letting plat card holders (who weren't in the line at all) in regardless of who was next.

lolol.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone else use Game Access?

I just signed up for the trial and...maybe i justo t lucky, but they sent me Uncharted 4 and I actually just got it today, one day ahead of release. I think I'm going to try it for a year and just stop buying console games.

zroid

Banned
FFS Dark Horse keeps delaying the Fire Emblem Awakening art book =\

first it was coming out in July... then August... now September...

Will I even get it in 2016 at this rate?

I just signed up for the trial and...maybe i justo t lucky, but they sent me Uncharted 4 and I actually just got it today, one day ahead of release. I think I'm going to try it for a year and just stop buying console games.

Wow, you're lucky

I tried GameAccess one summer, and didn't get the games I really wanted. They'd just send me stuff at the end of my list/queue, like LEGO Batman 2 and Remember Me.

I wanted to borrow Deadpool but didn't get it.

Renewed

I believe the artbook was announced with a late August release? Maybe I missed something. After figure delays, this isn't so bad.

If NoA could just put up Shadow Dragon on the Wii U VC, I wouldn`t have to hunt down a cart.

FrsDvl

I used them for a while, most AAA games they get tons of, so as long as you don't have the max number of games you can have, chances are you'll get it right away. Always reserve though for games you want asap.

Plus buying games off of them is a nice feature too, considering they get cheaper with time, plus you get higher discounts the longer you've been with them.

I ditched them because the library is free.

I wish I could somehow return this controller to Best Buy. I thought it looked beautiful in pictures and videos online, but it's just not what I'd hoped for. It's nice looking, but not as sleek as expected and without the grips it kind of sucks.

But since my receipt says return, they likely wouldn't give me my money back, even as credit which would be fine. Credit would be great.

She didn't open it because I told her I have OCD and she was sympathetic. I was okay with her opening it, but didn't want her to grab it and check it out. I just asked if I could check it out at home as opposed to her doing that, but said if she needed to slice the sticker holding it closed that'd be fine.

http://www.nmicrovip.ca/celeron-n28...-8-1-bilingual-kb-x553ma-rb01-cb-refurbished/

Refurb though, but I buy all my laptops refurbished from them and they're prety much new

Thanks, sir

That's actually too expensive for this circumstance, though. The budget is really low, because work is buying it just so that I have something to do reports on.

In the future, I plan to buy myself a desktop Mac or PC, and/or a laptop, and will buy something better. But this is just for reports, and since it'll sit when I'm not traveling I'm making work buy it.

superbad

I wish I could somehow return this controller to Best Buy. I thought it looked beautiful in pictures and videos online, but it's just not what I'd hoped for. It's nice looking, but not as sleek as expected and without the grips it kind of sucks.

But since my receipt says return, they likely wouldn't give me my money back, even as credit which would be fine. Credit would be great.

Not sure what the issue is here. As long as you have your receipt, Best Buy will still allow a return for refund even though you've already exchanged the controller. They will refund your PayPal account if that's how you originally paid.

terrible

Banned
Uncharted 4 300 UNCHARTED Points
Uncharted™ 4 - Desert Drake
Uncharted™ 4 - Golden Weapon Skin
Uncharted™ 4 - Snow Weapon Skin
Uncharted™ 4 - Fortune Hunter Drake

Pre-order bonuses aren't what they used to be lol.

baconcow

She asked if I wanted to exchange it and I said yes, or just to get my money back, but I knew that wouldn't be likely since it'd been opened.

Best Buy will fully refund opened accessories. No need to exchange or sell on Kijiji at a loss. They will even give you your original payment type back. Doesn't matter if it was already a refund. This is one of the advantages of buying things from places like Walmart and Best Buy.

Edit: Didn't see superbad`s response, above.

Best Buy will fully refund opened accessories. No need to exchange or sell on Kijiji at a loss. They will even give you your original payment type back. Doesn't matter if it was already a refund. This is one of the advantages of buying things from places like Walmart and Best Buy.

Edit: Didn't see superbad`s response, above.

Can confirm this and Superbad, they will refund you anything even if opened except a couple of exceptions like software, video games. Look at the back of your receipt.

imBask

Banned
i'm thinking about buying a new TV... mostly for PS4 and netflix, but I spend most of my time on the computer

is Vizio alright? I read it's cheap but not as bad as cheaper stuff like hisense and insigna and etc

Entropia

No One Remembers
i'm thinking about buying a new TV... mostly for PS4 and netflix, but I spend most of my time on the computer

is Vizio alright? I read it's cheap but not as bad as cheaper stuff like hisense and insigna and etc

I've read that Vizio's are some of the best TVs on the market right now.

sikkinixx

I just got their M55 last week and for gaming I find it's quite blurry. When everything is still it's quite nice but moving the camera around quickly hurts my eyes in a short period of time. Apparently the 60" and above uses a 120hz panel and doesn't do that as much.

imBask

Banned
I just got their M55 last week and for gaming I find it's quite blurry. When everything is still it's quite nice but moving the camera around quickly hurts my eyes in a short period of time. Apparently the 60" and above uses a 120hz panel and doesn't do that as much.

i'm looking for a 50" 120hz :S

sikkinixx

i'm looking for a 50" 120hz :S

Give it a look anyway. It's a nice tv aside from that I find. The 50" version is $800 I think. I'm sick budget tv shopping. It's all compromise which never leaves a good taste unless you get a crazy good deal.

Sadly though even the new P series is only a 60hz panel in the 50".

etta

my hard graphic balls
As always, the Canada Post mofo scanned the item twice when he picked it up for delivery so it also shows delivered...
The mail run near my place usually happens around 12-1PM, but I got excited there for a moment.

Kyolux

Tales of Zestiria is on sale ($35) at Best Buy.

How is it? Worth it? Last Tales I bought was Xillia and barely played it since I was kind of in a RPG lull and couldn't stick with it.

In some ways though, I have plenty of RPGs on my plate this year and in my backlog.
(Star Ocean 5, I am Setsuna, FFXV, Exist Archive and one or two from kickstarter).

I'm going to do that 3 games trade-in deal tonight and was thinking of just getting $100 on Steam for eventually grabbing Battleborn and some other stuff. But I'm rethinking my plan now... What to do?

--

Oh and UC4 seems pretty good, though I haven't played much last night. Just wanted to see how the graphics looked a bit before starting the game for real this week-end.

Mine didn't go out in time either. I'm tempted to go pick up a copy today from BB and return it when it arrives.

I am thinking that too but I won't get to play until maybe 10pm so I am holding out on a shipment. Plus I kind of want to platinum R&C before I get distracted.

How is it? Worth it? Last Tales I bought was Xillia and barely played it since I was kind of in a RPG lull and couldn't stick with it.

That's a good price! Kinda upset I blew my $10 rewards cert on PSN money gambling that ToZ would be a flash sale item at some point soon.

khaaan

Damn it, for some reason I was under the impression that non-Nintendo Selects Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was hard to find at a sub $60 price point. I bought two for $30+tax each :/

I was planning on trying to use it to get a heavy discount for some other Wii U game that's hard to get a deal on (i.e. Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors). Luckily I didn't open either so I can return one, but it's such a pain to go return things.

terrible

Banned

In some ways though, I have plenty of RPGs on my plate this year and in my backlog.
(Star Ocean 5, I am Setsuna, FFXV, Exist Archive and one or two from kickstarter).

I'm going to do that 3 games trade-in deal tonight and was thinking of just getting $100 on Steam for eventually grabbing Battleborn and some other stuff. But I'm rethinking my plan now... What to do?

--

Oh and UC4 seems pretty good, though I haven't played much last night. Just wanted to see how the graphics looked a bit before starting the game for real this week-end.
I forgot to buy it when it was on sale on Steam for ~$30 so this is tempting. The last JRPG I actually finished was probably Vesperia when it came out unless the Souls games count. It's been so long.

Cudder

Amazon shipped out my U4 today, set to arrive tomorrow, a day late, lol. How are they flawless with every game I've ever gotten from them, and then with fucking Uncharted 4 they mess up, gawd damn.

Faenix1

How long does amazon stay in "preparing for shipment"? Does that mean it'll ship some time today or can it stay that until May 13th?

sikkinixx

Apple Pay is actually in Canada now without all that AmEX nonsense. RBC and CIBC now with the rest of the banks following in a couple months. Just added my cards and bought a coke from the tap vending machine. Now just get my drivers license onto my phone and I can throw my wallet away.

dwsn

Neo Member
How long does amazon stay in "preparing for shipment"? Does that mean it'll ship some time today or can it stay that until May 13th?

I've had it both ways, but usually the latter. Most recently, Ratchet and Clank was stuck at preparing for shipment until the Friday of the release week. It sucks :(

mileS

I need the Blood and Wine Witcher expansion in my life. I missed out on the physical edition of HoS with the gwent cards and I'm still sour about it. If anyone finds a place to order in Canada please let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom