• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiro

Well, after talking to Amazon I got them to give me $20 promo for Pokemon and Titan Fall 2 discount of 20% not correctly applying. Let's hope I don't have to do that for every game.

Sora_N

I got them to email me back about FFXII, so I got it for $55.99.

Well I'm not paying $55.99 still, probably gonna cancel.

UberTag

Well, after talking to Amazon I got them to give me $20 promo for Pokemon and Titan Fall 2 discount of 20% not correctly applying. Let's hope I don't have to do that for every game.
You will have to do that for every game.
Because that's how the code was applied.
The only games you won't have to do that for are ones you already had pre-ordered prior to this year's E3.
Because THOSE promo codes weren't designed to be disingenuous and to ensure price drops get eaten by your promised savings.

Kiro

You will have to do that for every game.
Because that's how the code was applied.
The only games you won't have to do that for are ones you already had pre-ordered prior to this year's E3.
Because THOSE promo codes weren't designed to be disingenuous and to ensure price drops get eaten by your promised savings.

Good thing I have an excel sheet tracking all this.

diaspora

Good thing there were 0 games announced worth preordering this E3.

Got Spider-Man, Pokemon, and Death Stranding. 3 games aren't hard to track.

Tapejara

How would I calculate if the 20% off discount is accurate? I have a large order and Amazon lists three separate discounts (which I assume is Amazon grouping games with the same discount together?). Seems impossible to tell :/.

How would I calculate if the 20% off discount is accurate? I have a large order and Amazon lists three separate discounts (which I assume is Amazon grouping games with the same discount together?). Seems impossible to tell :/.

Take the subtotal

20% of it (subtotal*.20)

See if it matches the discount you got

Edit: if it doesn't match, call or email amazon customer service and get ready for the circlejerk

terrible

Banned
My discount before tax on a $1K E3 Amazon order is 14.5%. I was already not interested in any of these games at 20% off, I just ordered them in case they got price drops. 14.5% is a joke. Fix your poop Amazon. My whole order is messed up it seems lol.

Kiro

When I spoke with amazon the rep tried to say i had 20 percent off already, which i explained to him it wasnt. Then he tried to say the price changes remove the promo,I asked him to show me that policy in word. Then he said the promo works on a max of 2 items, I said show me that policy. He did and it's two of the same item. So I said that's untrue too and to let me speak to the manager. 5 minutes later I had my 20 dollars off no hassle.

SickBoy

While I'm not pleased with how Amazon has handled this E3 promo, I can understand their desire to lock it down a bit.

I would happily see them continue to apply the promo as they had in years past, with the "Lowest Price Guarantee" and the discount working in concert. I'm not going to complain that my copy of Gears of War is more than half off.

However, I can understand how selling games for more than 50% off isn't good for the bottom line. In the end, I would be OK with preorder discounts not working in concert with the "Preorder Price Guarantee" (that is, if an $80 game drops to $50 temporarily, you wouldn't get it for $50-20%) IF:
  • You were still guaranteed the lowest pre-launch price (no brainer, right?)
  • The discount was based on MSRP and therefore recalculated if that changed pre-launch -- this doesn't seem to be happening for Pokemon pre-orders, for example.
  • Amazon accurately represented MSRP (sometimes doesn't seem to happen)
  • Also, 30% off would be better :)

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the way last year's deals worked. But I presume this year's mess is in response to deeper-than-intended discounts from 2015 sales. I love those lower-than-expected prices and will be sad to lose them (it seems like this may have already happened). But if they're gone, the most important thing to me is that I'm still getting stuff I preorder for the lowest possible price... I think they've got the best track record at making that happen, but the way their deals are working right now do have me concerned.

The current system is very Best Buy-esque. I'm not sure if they fixed it last year, but I know in previous years' sales, it always seemed like your price with Best Buy was locked in, even if a game got cheaper (but not necessarily if it got more expensive).

When I spoke with amazon the rep tried to say i had 20 percent off already, which i explained to him it wasnt. Then he tried to say the price changes remove the promo,I asked him to show me that policy in word. Then he said the promo works on a max of 2 items, I said show me that policy. He did and it's two of the same item. So I said that's untrue too and to let me speak to the manager. 5 minutes later I had my 20 dollars off no hassle.

The steps to get there sound like quite the hassle :)

My discount before tax on a $1K E3 Amazon order is 14.5%. I was already not interested in any of these games at 20% off, I just ordered them in case they got price drops. 14.5% is a joke. Fix your poop Amazon. My whole order is messed up it seems lol.

It might be just one game that is not calculating the correct amount. FFXII is like this. World of Final Fantasy is also a problem.

Faenix1

Anyone with separate orders have any issues with amazon support?

Sent in two emails now and mildly worried they are gonna give me some BS about how I ordered and cancel them on me. lol

While I'm not pleased with how Amazon has handled this E3 promo, I can understand their desire to lock it down a bit.

I would happily see them continue to apply the promo as they had in years past, with the "Lowest Price Guarantee" and the discount working in concert. I'm not going to complain that my copy of Gears of War is more than half off.

However, I can understand how selling games for more than 50% off isn't good for the bottom line. In the end, I would be OK with preorder discounts not working in concert with the "Preorder Price Guarantee" (that is, if an $80 game drops to $50 temporarily, you wouldn't get it for $50-20%) IF:
  • You were still guaranteed the lowest pre-launch price (no brainer, right?)
  • The discount was based on MSRP and therefore recalculated if that changed pre-launch -- this doesn't seem to be happening for Pokemon pre-orders, for example.
  • Amazon accurately represented MSRP (sometimes doesn't seem to happen)
  • Also, 30% off would be better :)

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the way last year's deals worked. But I presume this year's mess is in response to deeper-than-intended discounts from 2015 sales. I love those lower-than-expected prices and will be sad to lose them (it seems like this may have already happened). But if they're gone, the most important thing to me is that I'm still getting stuff I preorder for the lowest possible price... I think they've got the best track record at making that happen, but the way their deals are working right now do have me concerned.

The current system is very Best Buy-esque. I'm not sure if they fixed it last year, but I know in previous years' sales, it always seemed like your price with Best Buy was locked in, even if a game got cheaper (but not necessarily if it got more expensive).

The steps to get there sound like quite the hassle :)

What's this 50% off stuff about? the promo was 20% - which is $16 and makes a $79.99 game $63.99.

Apples_89

What's this 50% off stuff about? the promo was 20% - which is $16 and makes a $79.99 game $63.99.

If you pre-ordered Gear 4, Ghost Recon or FF XV last year during the 30% off promo, that discount was still applied when they temporarily dropped to $50 during this year's E3 deals. Therefore, you get the game for around $40 taxes in.

This is getting hilarious. I asked them about the discount issue for Pokemon, and a day later...
pqbPsg1.png

Um...code? What?

khaaan

I hate dealing with CS reps, I'm more inclined to just axe the excess pre-orders and keep the 2-3 I care about.

This is getting hilarious. I asked them about the discount issue for Pokemon, and a day later...

Um...code? What?

The code for the NX version, duh.

I got them to apply the discount on World of FF , and another order that was messed up. And I have the email transcript for proof. Also the discount should be $18 not $16. I think they refund after charging so I have to make sure to follow up.

Is Star Ocean 5 the type of game that will be easily available months from now? I am thinking about cancelling it since #FE is coming out on Friday.

F4r0_Atak

Last time I'll deal with Amazon for pre-orders. This is BS. These are the emails I received today... :/

One regarding the Pokemon games having the E3 promo removed (although they priced them now at 49.96)...
Hello from Amazon.ca,

I am sorry to hear about the misunderstanding.

I've checked with our marketing team and learnt that the item Pokemon games are not eligible for E3 promotion please accept our sincere apology if this information was not clearly mentioned in our website.

If you still have any concern, You may reach Customer Service at the following numbers, we're available 24/7:

Canada & U.S.: 1-877-586-3230
International: 1-206-266-2882

I apologize to you and regret the fact that you are being redirected to our phone support. However, I am sure we can resolve the issue quickly in an efficient manner if we can converse with you in a real-time manner.

... and the other regarding the E3 promo not being applied properly.
Hello from Amazon.ca.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that may have caused you.

I've checked with our marketing team and they confirmed that the promotion was applied correctly as per website best price.

Please note that, the promotions was applied correctly.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Malathy L.
Thank you.
Amazon.ca

Also... I find it funny that the security check process it not the same between the french and english Customer Service (by phone).

imBask

Banned
The Pokemon games were not in the 20% deal from the start, what's the problem? They were not in the list, they were in that other list (can't remember what was on the tab), i'm confused here

all of my orders have the 20% applied and pokemon is at 49.99...

The Pokemon games were not in the 20% deal from the start, what's the problem? They were not in the list, they were in that other list (can't remember what was on the tab), i'm confused here

Pokemon was priced at $59.99 and was on the 20% list. That is how I ordered them, and I am sure a lot of people here ordered them that way. If Amazon reduces the price of Pokemon to $49.96, then my order should get the lowest price guarantee, and I should still receive the 20% discount that I ordered with. The games were eligible for the 20% promo, even if some customer support rep says otherwise.

imBask

Banned
Pokemon was priced at $59.99 and was on the 20% list. That is how I ordered them, and I am sure a lot of people here ordered them that way. If Amazon reduces the price of Pokemon to $49.96, then my order should get the lowest price guarantee, and I should still receive the 20% discount that I ordered with. The games were eligible for the 20% promo, even if some customer support rep says otherwise.

i'm 99% sure Pokemon wasn't on the 20% list (at least when I bought it), it was on that other "save up to 30$" list...

i'm 99% sure Pokemon wasn't on the 20% list (at least when I bought it), it was on that other "save up to 30$" list...

It was on the 20% list.

This year when they reduce the price they don't offer the 20% off anymore. Price protection nullifies the % discount.

F4r0_Atak

They were not at first... but they added them to the 20% off list on Tuesday June 14th (if I remember correctly) and they still were when I finalized my pre-orders on Wednesday June 15th. Also, a lot of people got their E3 20% off being applied to the Pokemon games in the past few days.

BTails

I should send an email, I only preordered 3 games and only 2 had the 20% off applied: Mass Effect, Resident Evil 7, and World of Final Fantasy (This one was excluded).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom