• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzler

friends, where would be the best place to buy a simple USB controller?

I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi as a retro console and need a controller for it

Jamaal23

Neo Member
friends, where would be the best place to buy a simple USB controller?

I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi as a retro console and need a controller for it

I bought my two USB controllers last year on Amazon.ca. They are the Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC ones.

Looking up my order I paid $17 each (no tax) and received free shipping. Was the "Japan-Research" seller, which may or may not be listed among the current 100ish sellers. Shipment came quick and the products work like a charm with my RetroPie.

Dazzler

I bought my two USB controllers last year on Amazon.ca. They are the Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC ones.

Looking up my order I paid $17 each (no tax) and received free shipping. Was the "Japan-Research" seller, which may or may not be listed among the current 100ish sellers. Shipment came quick and the products work like a charm with my RetroPie.

This is awesome! ordered the classic SNES variety as it's perfect for what I need

isny

napkin dispenser
"Please note that the new 3DS XL Pokémon 20th Anniversary Edition appeared in-stock on our website for a short period of time as a result of a technical error. Our records indicate that you purchased this product during this time. We regret to inform you that we do not have available inventory for this product, so we will be unable to fulfill your order.

Please be assured that we are working to improve our website to prevent this issue from happening again in the future.

We very much appreciate your patronage, and apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact our Customer Support team at help@EBGames.ca, or by telephone at 1-877-442-6303.

Thank you for shopping at EBGames.ca.

Sincerely,

The EBGames.ca Team"

No gift card or anything of goodwill to make up for the mistake. Thanks EB. This is why no one ever buys from you, lol

"Please note that the new 3DS XL Pokémon 20th Anniversary Edition appeared in-stock on our website for a short period of time as a result of a technical error. Our records indicate that you purchased this product during this time. We regret to inform you that we do not have available inventory for this product, so we will be unable to fulfill your order.

Please be assured that we are working to improve our website to prevent this issue from happening again in the future.

We very much appreciate your patronage, and apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact our Customer Support team at help@EBGames.ca, or by telephone at 1-877-442-6303.

Thank you for shopping at EBGames.ca.

Sincerely,

The EBGames.ca Team"

No gift card or anything of goodwill to make up for the mistake. Thanks EB. This is why no one ever buys from you, lol

Pre-orders are never a 100% guarantee(especially if you ordered during what seemed like a random unexpected "restock").

They don't owe you anything and you "only" had to order before/elsewhere(heck I order in various stores if I REALLY want something...).

It's ok if you hate the store(I'm not a fan either) but don't come here public-shaming and hating them if they didn't honor your order because of a glitch in their system.

Sucks that you didn't get it though :-(
Let's hope for a restock...

SPEAKING OF: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01AKESJQC/

Krammy

Thanks so for the heads up! I don't like supporting EB Games, but god damn do I want one of these.

How reliable are EB Games with orders like this? I mean, I've heard horror stories of them cancelling on people's pre-orders, but since I placed it and it was confirmed. Am I good?

Following up, just received the above mentioned email. I'm so mad. I put my personal details on EBGames site just so I could get this thing and now I get shafted? Get fucked EBGames.

EDIT: God bless this thread though, I ran to Amazon after reading the above posts and grabbed one there.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They don't have the price for single channel. I don't know when they will show it but all they have currently is pretty much theme channels a la "Sports, Entertainment, etc". Also, I think you can't add any of these theme channels if you have the Basic Cable. We probably need to get their starter cable or whatever. It will be nice if I can add the TSN channels for like $5 lol
CRTC deadline for single channel prices is December.

But I shudder at what it will cost.

The price is the same as regular DSL (ie the fact that it's delivered over fibre is irrelevant) . It only costs more if you want faster, like 150 mbps but it would be the same price as if you were on DSL but close enough to get that service.

Cynar

Looks like I need to keep my cheap basic cable tv package from Rogers after seeing these insane prices.
Yup. This new stuff is going to be horrible just like with what happened with cellphones. Telecom will get the same amount of money and Canadian's will just get less for it. Fucking CRTC and big telecom. ;(

FrsDvl

This basic cable packages stuff is kind of lame. 20$ with Telus, but that means you don't get a free PVR rental. which means that their 33$ package is cheaper than their 20$ package.

Cynar

Just checked cogeco. Only 59 channels for more money than I'm paying now. Never going to get rid of my grandfathered plan. Whoever wanted this pick and pay bullshit fucked us all over just like the two year terms on phones.

No it's there, click on "new" it comes up as $99.99!

I looked out of curiosity, but its a display error. You can't even order it at that price since no sellers listed have it that low. Not a deal, just an illusion. For proof you can also make the price displayed change to a more expensive one for the regular editions just by refreshing/navigating the price page.

Mimosa97

Guys what's the best place to buy an unblocked smartphone ?

I have a shitty motorola smartphone but I don't have data and I basically only use it for text and calls. Probably getting an iphone this time because I already have an ipad and I'm used to the OS.

diaspora

Guys what's the best place to buy an unblocked smartphone ?

I have a shitty motorola smartphone but I don't have data and I basically only use it for text and calls. Probably getting an iphone this time because I already have an ipad and I'm used to the OS.

Ebay, Amazon.

DJ_Lae

First world problems :p

Try dealing with 5.9mb/s. It's depressing, and actually makes my depression worse since I'm on the net a lot.

I know, I probably shouldn't complain (assuming you're talking megabit? My downloads peak at about 3MB/s), but with both my kids doing stuff online, my wife browsing who knows what and me trying to eke out whatever is left...it can get ugly. Sure, I can fiddle with QoS settings and give myself priority, but that isn't ideal for everyone else.

But I shudder at what it will cost.

The same as I was paying for 50mbps, plus they usually offer good deals to bump up speed for free for a limited time (you just have to pester them again afterward to get the same or a similar deal).

This basic cable packages stuff is kind of lame. 20$ with Telus, but that means you don't get a free PVR rental. which means that their 33$ package is cheaper than their 20$ package.

I love how all the providers' cheap plans are basically a middle finger to the CRTC. It's the same as when they did consumers a favour by making cell companies bump back to 2 year contracts - didn't help anyone, it just made them increase plan prices and reduce phone subsidies. They really didn't think anything through - or more likely, they did it on purpose this way just to make it sound like they were doing something.

Mimosa97

Ebay, Amazon.

Had terrible experiences with ebay in the past. I stopped shopping there 5 years ago.

If you want an Iphone on Amazon you have to go through a third seller so I'd better just buy it from the official apple website. The problem is that a basic 16gb iphone 6S is more than 1k$ after taxes ... ugh ...

ovii

Had terrible experiences with ebay in the past. I stopped shopping there 5 years ago.

If you want an Iphone on Amazon you have to go through a third seller so I'd better just buy it from the officiale apple website. The problem is that a basic 16gb iphone 6S is more than 1k$ after taxes ... ugh ...

I just bought a Oneplus two for ~$450ish. You should check it out. There's also a cheaper version called the Oneplus x.

DJ_Lae

If you want an Iphone on Amazon you have to go through a third seller so I'd better just buy it from the official apple website. The problem is that a basic 16gb iphone 6S is more than 1k$ after taxes ... ugh ...

If you aren't set on an iPhone a Nexus 5X isn't a bad option (I have a 6P and it's great, but it's also really big and more expensive).

But yeah, the iPhones are insane. I replaced my wife's old 5 with a 6S Plus and damn was that a painful price to swallow.

TechJunk

I bought into the hype and ordered an iPhone 6S when they released... then Google announced the Nexus 5X. I returned my $900 phone and got a $380 one (not sure exactly what prices were, but around there).
Love the 5X, a little laggy at times, but for the money, can't be beat.

Dealt with Orchard of Toronto before re: used iPhones and they were great.

Mimosa97

Yeah the price of a 6S plus is insane ... But damn if it's not tempting.

The thing is I'm not a big fan of Android. I've had an Ipad for years and I use it for almost everything. It's always with me so I'm very used to IOS ... But yeah you can't beat those android prices.

I'm looking at the Samsung A5 right now. My cousin told me it's the best of its category and you can find the basic one for 400$ factory unlocked.

Mimosa97

I bought into the hype and ordered an iPhone 6S when they released... then Google announced the Nexus 5X. I returned my $900 phone and got a $380 one (not sure exactly what prices were, but around there).

The cheapest one I can find is 440$. Where did you buy yours ?

should have sold your 6S to me for $500

that + satisfaction is basically turning a profit, I'm waiting on that 7 but september is so far away.

On the android side...hopefully some good nexus leaks early this year.

I'm trying to order something from Toys R Us like I have many times before and my shipping charge is 35 dollars .. So even with their "free" shipping which only takes off 20 dollars it's still 15 dollars shipping which is crazy . Does Anyone know why it's being so stupid? I've gotten legit free shipping from them so many times before.

Canon

Banned
I'm trying to order something from Toys R Us like I have many times before and my shipping charge is 35 dollars .. So even with their "free" shipping which only takes off 20 dollars it's still 15 dollars shipping which is crazy . Does Anyone know why it's being so stupid? I've gotten legit free shipping from them so many times before.
Add a PSN card.

If that doesn't work you must be ordering something it determines too heavy.

Add a PSN card.

If that doesn't work you must be ordering something it determines too heavy.

I'm ordering Pokemon cards :/ so ridiculous lol

Edit: The psn card does help a little, it appears there basically charging $10 shipping flat for each item. So the 3rd item i was adding to get free shipping was increasing the shipping from $20 to $30 . Toys R Us is a joke....

SickBoy

This is awesome! ordered the classic SNES variety as it's perfect for what I need

Yeah, I have one of those and another arriving tomorrow to work with Retropie... they're pretty good controllers.

I also have two of the real Sega-made USB Saturn pads (which now sell for a ridiculous price on eBay... if only I'd known -- $50CDN used). They're great pads... but I find that configuration is a bit weird where I've wanted to use them (bought them for SF4, and more recently used them with the Retropie). And missing a couple of buttons from the SNES controller is a bit of a challenge.

Sora_N

Edit: The psn card does help a little, it appears there basically charging $10 shipping flat for each item. So the 3rd item i was adding to get free shipping was increasing the shipping from $20 to $30 . Toys R Us is a joke....

I sent you a PM.

jred2k

Somehow I don't have Uncharted 4 on any of my pre-order orders with either Best Buy or Amazon, so I'm actually kind of happy with the delay. Hopefully we can get another 20% promo before it comes out with the extra month now.

Firestorm

Yeah the price of a 6S plus is insane ... But damn if it's not tempting.

The thing is I'm not a big fan of Android. I've had an Ipad for years and I use it for almost everything. It's always with me so I'm very used to IOS ... But yeah you can't beat those android prices.

I'm looking at the Samsung A5 right now. My cousin told me it's the best of its category and you can find the basic one for 400$ factory unlocked.
Honestly, a phone is what you spend so much of your time on. If you aren't a big fan of Android and are very used to iOS (and already in the ecosystem), just bite the bullet and buy an iPhone. You can check Kijiji/Craigslist if you don't want to buy direct from Apple.

What Pokemon card product are you trying to buy from there? Something tells me I can find you cheaper elsewhere... Big box retailers are stupid expensive for TCG products.

Edit: Also what city do you live in if you don't mind saying so I can point you towards local stores that might be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom