• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaenor

Banned
I may actually go for that if they support my phone. (edit: they do)

Will have to get used to 2gb limit instead of 5+.. but most of the time, 2gb is about what I use up.

How's the speed/latency on their network?

I'm in the Quebec City area and the speed is good. But I've always been with Bell/Virgin, so I couldn't really tell if it's better or worse than other networks.

I guess I meant plans WITH a phone, I still prefer to pay my phone on my contract and upgrade every 2 years, i'm a big dork and I love having the latest top of the line phone lol

I thought they didn't discount the phones anymore so why lock into a contract?

Edit - And if you think prices have come down, you might want to brace yourself

Kyolux

And here I am in Quebec struggling to find a plan for under 75$+tx

Well if you're trying to get one of those super fancy phones. Yeah.

Anyone knows if there's any leeway at a virgin kiosk for haggling? From my experience (years ago), kiosk people have like no leeway at all and only if you call will you actually get to have any sort of deal.

imBask

Banned
I thought they didn't discount the phones anymore so why lock into a contract?

Edit - And if you think prices have come down, you might want to brace yourself

what do you mean? they do discount the phones a bit... at least that's what my billions of calculations ended up telling me

and shut up let me dream about my $40 contract alright :'(

farisr

EB says I gotta go in store to switch my pre-order from the vanilla Xbox One S to the Halo bundle, and I should do it before release so they can guarantee they will have it for me at release.
Damn, I wish it was doable over the phone.

Oh well, I plan on going to an ebgames on saturday anyways for a psvr demo. I'll drop by the one where I made the order to make the switch on the way back I guess.

RS4-

And here I am in Quebec struggling to find a plan for under 75$+tx

I know right... Those 40$ incredible plans are like a damn mythical beast that everyone has seen except for the both of us

or these people all have Palm Pre's or some other garbage phone

They do. I'm quite happy with my plan with Public Mobile. Probably the best 2gb plan I see in ON.

Oh the fido one expired a few days ago lol, but Virgin might still have it available?

I think it was 2GB for 40, 3 for 50? Some shit like that.

Any way for people in ON to get the QC rates?
I'm currently with Virgin on a 500 Minutes and 1GB data cap for $40 plan.

When my brother was stationed in QC, he needed proof that he lived there when he tried to switch from the ON to QC plan on Virgin. Not too sure how strict Fido is with address checks and what not.

imBask

Banned
I should probably consider getting a good phone instead of THE LATEST AND GREATEST for my next contract. I feel like the gap isn't as wide as it used to be

I remember wanting to die at the end of my Galaxy Nexus contract, it was so damn slow and obsolete. And let's not even mention the end of my Palm Pre contract, good lord. My Nexus 6 is still solid with only 6 months left

Lexxism

A year and a half ago I spent weeks calculating and comparing every single possibility in front of me, and the best plan for me was a $65 2gb plan + $300 cash for a Nexus 6 with Bell. Bell doesn't have the best price, but I get a 35% rebate since i'm on my dad's bill so that ended up being the best choice.

Plans have gone down a bit since then, so i'll go through the same process this winter
That's not bad for a $42.25 with a contract. Too bad that price is not going to happen in ON. I'll probably just stay with BYOP plans + buying the phone outright. It's much cheaper than getting a contract. Fck Robellus.

Elitist1945

Since we're talking about Wind, I have the $50 unlimited talk, text and data for North America and I'm unsure how the roaming in US would work should I go there. Do I just turn roaming on and I don't have to worry about being charged?

Well, Fido in Quebec also have BYOP for 40$ + Unlimited calls + 2 GO + Spotify 6 months + Their 5$ for using your phone for 24 hours in the states. I changed the plan of the wife and me, we overall get more and now pay 15$ less per month. Thanks Canada GAF! This conversation made me save!

teeg

We're paying the same, but it's 500 minutes and 500mb. Maybe I should speak to them.

We just recently changed to that plan. I'd guess early June or so. I do recall the staff member mentioning to us that all the plans were increasing the next day, so we may have just got lucky with timing.

Kyolux

Oh well, I plan on going to an ebgames on saturday anyways for a psvr demo. I'll drop by the one where I made the order to make the switch on the way back I guess.

Enjoy the ps vr demo, it's really fun (if you make sure it's positioned accordingly for you).

I suggest trying The heist if you can. The hands in VR thing is really cool.

Make sure to try silly stuff like fake drinking the cola cans/cup. Opening the door and looking behind through it. And most importantly, reloading the gun without looking. It's simple but it feels SO BADASS.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
While we're on the subject of phone contracts, what's the absolute cheapest for a light "call" user? So far I've been on Koodo prepaid for $15 a month for unlimited SMS, and I buy "top up" chunks of call minutes and data ($30 for 1gb, but I don't have to use it within the month). I've been using that for a while and I end up paying less than $20 per month most of the time, but as I've been using a lot more data with Pokemon Go, I'm wondering if something better exists...

zroid

Banned
so Dragon Quest VIII is free on the amazon android store right now

edit: you have to switch your country to US to see it

Kyolux

That Fido deal with spotify is still available in QC. I thought it wasn't but I just realized the site was set to ON because of my work's IP.

what do you mean? they do discount the phones a bit... at least that's what my billions of calculations ended up telling me

and shut up let me dream about my $40 contract alright :'(

Things have changed

I should probably consider getting a good phone instead of THE LATEST AND GREATEST for my next contract. I feel like the gap isn't as wide as it used to be

I remember wanting to die at the end of my Galaxy Nexus contract, it was so damn slow and obsolete. And let's not even mention the end of my Palm Pre contract, good lord. My Nexus 6 is still solid with only 6 months left

I went from a BlackBerry 9700 to a Galaxy Nexus to a OnePlus One

OnePlus One is still going strong 2 years later, I don't see a need to upgrade for quite a while :)

While we're on the subject of phone contracts, what's the absolute cheapest for a light "call" user? So far I've been on Koodo prepaid for $15 a month for unlimited SMS, and I buy "top up" chunks of call minutes and data ($30 for 1gb, but I don't have to use it within the month). I've been using that for a while and I end up paying less than $20 per month most of the time, but as I've been using a lot more data with Pokemon Go, I'm wondering if something better exists...

7-11 Speakout is probably better if you hardly call (because vouchers don't expire for 365 days so just top up and use over the course of a year), and unlimited messaging is $10 a month. Data is $10/month for 100 MB though.

An alternative if you just use data is a tablet plan (stick the SIM card in your phone). 5GB for $40 a month from Fido: https://www.fido.ca/web/content/monthly/internetdevicesplans

Use Fongo or something for calls.

Firestorm

For those interested, this is how you get the $48 5GB Koodo Manitoba plan in BC, AB, SK, and ON: www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1868676-How-to-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada
Wind's speeds and reliability are kind of shit here in Edmonton too, although compared to an equivalent data plan somewhere else I would be paying an awful lot more (and yeah, their US roaming is nice).

It just sucks occasionally looking at my phone and realizing that because I'm taking a shit in a mall, I'm now roaming, or I'm still on Wind's network but for some reason have the download speed of a 2400 baud modem.
I've set my network selection to be Wind manually instead of letting it pick automatically. That means if I'm not on Wind it'll go to No Service rather than Wind Away. It was getting really annoying having it swap to Wind Away on the Skytrain every day as I went into the underground stations downtown. Wind Away causes more unexpected charges than what they say the Big 3 give us -_-

SickBoy

For those interested, this is how you get the $48 5GB Koodo Manitoba plan in BC, AB, SK, and ON: www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1868676-How-to-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-CanadaI've set my network selection to be Wind manually instead of letting it pick automatically. That means if I'm not on Wind it'll go to No Service rather than Wind Away. It was getting really annoying having it swap to Wind Away on the Skytrain every day as I went into the underground stations downtown. Wind Away causes more unexpected charges than what they say the Big 3 give us -_-

I hope, now that they've got a big telecom company behind them in Shaw, that Wind's product improves a lot.

I would buy Wind, but I feel like I'm out of the city just enough that I'm pretty sure I would hate it. For some people, not having real phone access for a big road trip or even just a visit to someone on the outskirts of your calling area is no big deal. For every time I reached for my phone and realized I couldn't use it (or would have to pay to do it), it would quickly drive me mad.

Firestorm

I hope so too but I can't see it happening until like 2018 which is why I'm tempted to jump ship =/ Not having to fumble with swapping a SIM card every time I go to the US is pretty awesome though.

Here I am, sitting on a toilet near Pittsburgh, PA USA, and this Roam Mobility SIM card I bought for the purpose of staying online while in the US has been pretty terrible so far. They advertised phone+ 4G/LTE in this area for an affordable price so I went with them, but it keeps disconnecting on me, even after following the settings on their website. And even when it has worked, at best I'm getting 3G/H+.

Bah :(

Does Wind have specific partners in the U.S.? What about Canada, can I use roaming in Canada or is that pushing it.

Wind uses T-Mobile in the States, which basically means you have better coverage down there than you get in Canada. You cannot, however, use the $15 package for roaming in Canada, and indeed I don't think there's ANY add-on you can get for data roaming in Canada on Wind, because Robellus would never allow it.

khaaan

Chatr still has a $40 unlimited talk/text/data if you stay within specific zones, i.e.

the Greater Toronto Area, South Western Ontario, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary.

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PlanBrowse

I'm on Wind myself and staying with them as my petty insignificant way to get back at the bigger telecoms. Also, no one ever needs to talk to me so that helps... :(

I've heard good things about chatr coverage from friends though.

Riptwo

Wind uses T-Mobile in the States, which basically means you have better coverage down there than you get in Canada. You cannot, however, use the $15 package for roaming in Canada, and indeed I don't think there's ANY add-on you can get for data roaming in Canada on Wind, because Robellus would never allow it.
The most recent plans include something like 1GB of roaming data that works both in the US and across Canada.

Cake Boss

Banned
Been with Wind the past 2 years. $30 a month for unlimited everything, no contract. Been averaging 4-5GB a month this year. The speeds have slowed down I have noticed. Hopefully they get better once they launch the LTE service later this year.

Fuck you Bell you bitches. I will never forget that $400 bill when I was a poor ass student. Bitches.

Elitist1945

Would I get LTE on T-Mobile or would I be limited to 3G/H+ like I am now. I'm getting more info from you than I could from the people at my 2 local Wind stores lol.

Been with Wind the past 2 years. $30 a month for unlimited everything, no contract. Been averaging 4-5GB a month this year. The speeds have slowed down I have noticed. Hopefully they get better once they launch the LTE service later this year.

Wait...is this happening?

Here I am, sitting on a toilet near Pittsburgh, PA USA, and this Roam Mobility SIM card I bought for the purpose of staying online while in the US has been pretty terrible so far. They advertised phone+ 4G/LTE in this area for an affordable price so I went with them, but it keeps disconnecting on me, even after following the settings on their website. And even when it has worked, at best I'm getting 3G/H+.

Bah :(

Roam has been good for me but I have heard recently that service can be spotty even in urban areas. Maybe contact them when you're back and see what they can do.

Chatr still has a $40 unlimited talk/text/data if you stay within specific zones, i.e.

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PlanBrowse

I'm on Wind myself and staying with them as my petty insignificant way to get back at the bigger telecoms. Also, no one ever needs to talk to me so that helps... :(

I've heard good things about chatr coverage from friends though.

Chatr uses Rogers towers, I believe. Not a bad deal if you stay in the zone, but the unlimited data is throttled after 1GB.

kennah

Wow, Rogers only offers Shomi/Spotify/other thing for 6 months now instead of two years. Guess I'm not changing my plan anytime soon. Too bad. Should have jumped on the 10gb when it was cheap a couple months ago, but I can live with 6.

krae_man

That 1gb unlimited with Chatr is 3g at sub Wind speeds. It's really only for the Mobilicity people being migrated over(Which is why it's only available in cities Mobilicity was in).

I guess Rogers is afraid the CRTC would step in if they swooped in and said "yeah you're $29 unlimited data plan is now $140 so this is what they have decided.

Wind's $60 plan has unlimited Canada/US roaming in it with Data, or they have a $45 plan with unlimited Canada/US Roaming Call/text only.

Firestorm

Yeah don't use Chatr unless you don't care about speed and you're a Mobilicity customer being put onto their Mobilicity customer switchover plans.

Somehow I got free priority shipping on my No Man's Sky order from E3 2015, every game in the order, I don't remember getting bumped up to this I'll take it.

My other big order from that E3 still has standard shipping, I must have complained about one order but not the other or something *shrug*

I also noticed Kingdom Hearts 3 still doesn't even have a placeholder date, is that ever coming out lol

Vibranium

Banned
I hope, now that they've got a big telecom company behind them in Shaw, that Wind's product improves a lot.

I would buy Wind, but I feel like I'm out of the city just enough that I'm pretty sure I would hate it. For some people, not having real phone access for a big road trip or even just a visit to someone on the outskirts of your calling area is no big deal. For every time I reached for my phone and realized I couldn't use it (or would have to pay to do it), it would quickly drive me mad.

I hope Wind actually expand to Victoria. They teased it, but nothing happened. Maybe Shaw can get them over here.

Kyolux

Switched to Fido for the spotify deal.

Not liking those speed tests so far. :(

Update from this morning. I guess my phone was still switching over. Speeds are much more decent this morning.

Was barely hitting 1mbps last night. It's around 10 this morning.

superbad

New trade-in promo shown in this week's EB Games ad.

Trade in a select console along with 5 games and get a 2TB Xbox One S for as little as $129.99.

https://www.ebgames.ca/Weeklyad-Page2

The details are not on their trade-in page yet, so I am going to call customer service once they're open to find out the specifics. If it's a 500GB X1 or PS4 with 5 minimum value $8 games, I'll be doing this today.

Lexxism

DEAL

$20 off for orders above $100 if you use visa checkout at bestbuy.ca

$80 for 2yr PS+? Or maybe $100 PSN?

Edit: First 30,000 or August 31st.

DEAL

$80 for 2yr PS+? Or maybe $100 PSN? :)

Well, now I am going to have to do this deal. They don't have a digital option though, right?

New trade-in promo shown in this week's EB Games ad.

Trade in a select console along with 5 games and get a 2TB Xbox One S for as little as $129.99.

https://www.ebgames.ca/Weeklyad-Page2

The details are not on their trade-in page yet, so I am going to call customer service once they're open to find out the specifics. If it's a 500GB X1 or PS4 with 5 minimum value $8 games, I'll be doing this today.

Hmm. I might have everything I need for that.

Kyolux

DEAL

$80 for 2yr PS+? Or maybe $100 PSN?

Edit: First 30,000 or August 31st.

Does it work with PSN cards?

Oh, hadn't seen edit.

edit: Trying to hoard a bunch of these for VR games.

Edit2: How do I get the deal to popup?

Kyolux

Edit2: How do I get the deal to popup?
Buy anything above $100 and use Visa checkout. The discount should be applied.

So with 100$ of PSN cards I need something to take it one cent above or just 2 cards work? I tried just 2 $50 cards but held off when I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that I was going to get 20$ off.

May have been because I didn't log in.

edit: Bestbuy site crashing for me now. (when I try to see my shopping cart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom