• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoflare

Cross posting myself about play and charge kits for xbox one

Question about the play and charge kit.

When it's charging, does the indicator on screen tells you how far the battery has been charged? Or is only has a indicator telling you it's charging but doesn't tell you that?

The battery for me works at 3/4 full when it's unplugged, if I plug the cable in the screen shows the controller is plugged but the battery is empty, and the light doesn't turn on, so I don't even know it's charging anymore.

Anyone else has the One S controller and the play and charge kit? Does the light turn on? I thought the charging indicator on screen should be animated.

mdubs

Banned
Is it me or the Forza games are always pretty expensive barring 5?

I don't think stores even carry horizon 2 now.

Amazon still does for $50, and that's the lowest I've seen it. I think the trend that's growing is for stores/pubs to be clearing out games earlier on at like $40-$50 because they know that anyone really wanting to play can go digital. Not as much downward price pressure as there used to be sadly, although some pubs like Ubisoft will still always go down to sub $30ish

I know this isn't exactly gaming related but you guys would probably know the answer to this.

I'm about to order a few textbooks from Amazon.ca, and its offering me a 30-day free Prime trial. After that runs out, can I still get the 6 months Amazon Student Prime trial? Or will I become ineligible? I suppose I could always just bug the CSRs if they conflict, but I wanted to check if anyone has tried this already and had success.

kevin1025

Banned
I know this isn't exactly gaming related but you guys would probably know the answer to this.

I'm about to order a few textbooks from Amazon.ca, and its offering me a 30-day free Prime trial. After that runs out, can I still get the 6 months Amazon Student Prime trial? Or will I become ineligible? I suppose I could always just bug the CSRs if they conflict, but I wanted to check if anyone has tried this already and had success.

I had a Prime trial from last E3, and currently have the Amazon Student Prime at the moment. So you'll be fine!

I had a Prime trial from last E3, and currently have the Amazon Student Prime at the moment. So you'll be fine!

Cool, thanks! I'm probably still going to save my trials until my games start shipping (starting with FFXV in now Nov/Dec) since I can live with my textbooks arriving later, but good to know I will probably be set all the way until mid next year!

Fuck condos

What happened?

mdubs

Banned
I learned after Horizon 2 and Forza 6 that if you want a decent discount on them, Black Friday is your best bet!

This is good advice that I agree with - I'm likely going to pick up FH3 at Black Friday since that'll probably be cheaper than the E3 promo

ovii

Anyone know where I can pick up either a used or new PS TV bundle? I have an itch to play some persona on the big screen.

I looked around Kijiji here in Calgary, and I got nothing.

Rbk_3

Jesus you can do this all online now? I remember when you had to show a Sasketchewan drivers license or do other weird shenanigans.

In Ontario they're supposed to open up that housing price thing to everyone soon. Right now the only way to access that information is if you are already a home owner or a realtor, iirc.

Shitty time to buy though anyway, at least in Toronto where prices keep going up and up.

Yeah.Before this was discovered you had to convince the Koodo employee to give you a Manitoba # when signing up.

kevin1025

Banned
This is good advice that I agree with - I'm likely going to pick up FH3 at Black Friday since that'll probably be cheaper than the E3 promo

Yep, I cancelled my E3 promo and decided on Black Friday. Forza 6 last year ended up being $56 before tax on BF in the Xbox Store, and I remember seeing that somewhere had it for $49.99 in store. Since Horizon 3 has the Play Anywhere thing digitally, I'm aiming for the Xbox Store version! Better than $73 with Amazon at the moment.

UberTag

Almost every E3 promo deal from this year won't be worth holding on to unless Amazon starts dropping prices. Madden NFL 17 is reviewing solidly but I still canned my pre-order this weekend as $79.99 less 20% is still too damned expensive to buy just about any game on Day 1. Especially when my Human Revolution order from the previous year is coming in at just a smidge over $40.

Gitaroo

Is it a good idea to just stock up xbl cards with the bestbuy visa check out 20 off promo? How is MS when it comes to discount on their digital store. Halo wars 2 ultimate for sure I want to get it digitally so I can play on pc with mouse and keyboard. I don't mind getting forza horizon 3 a few weeks or a couple months later if the discount is big enough. Gears 4 is for sure a day 1 purchase no matter what but I can't find any deal for digital copy beside the visa check out stocking up xbl cards which is basically 20% off from anything you buy. Deal is nothing compare to the amazon price reductions from last year 60-30%.

Rbk_3

Almost every E3 promo deal from this year won't be worth holding on to unless Amazon starts dropping prices. Madden NFL 17 is reviewing solidly but I still canned my pre-order this weekend as $79.99 less 20% is still too damned expensive to buy just about any game on Day 1. Especially when my Human Revolution order from the previous year is coming in at just a smidge over $40.

Yeah it sucks.

Madden I have to get though. Sucks EB doesn't have the 1TB Madden XB1 Bundle since I am getting Madden and an XB1 S anyway.

I would have saved a few bucks and gotten an extra 500gb.

Tapejara

I'm doing the same, but with Mafia 3. I really want the game, but knowing the likelyhood of it dropping to $49.99 within two months of release means I'll hold out.

Sora_N

No, this plan

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...o-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada

$48 Unlimited Canada wide 5GB

It is beyond simple to get.

1. Go to Koodo, open a new account with an Ontario #, choose the cheapest plan
2. When you get home log into the Self Serve and change your # to a Manitoba #.
3. When the billing cycle ends in 4-7 days, you can now pick the Manitoba $48 5 GB plan on the self serve
4. On the self serve, port your current ontario #.

You now have a $48 5 GB Canada wide plan with an Ontario #

How do I transfer my current # over to this? I still have a year left on this plan so not sure what I'm supposed to do. Lol.

I feel like this won't work for me since I'm in BC. Would prefer to keep my #. :/

Anyone know where I can pick up either a used or new PS TV bundle? I have an itch to play some persona on the big screen.

I looked around Kijiji here in Calgary, and I got nothing.

Wow, just checked Amazon and the used values are at $65 minimum. What.

I mean, I got mine trading for SSBWiiU, so that is probably about what I paid for mine. Crazy.

I'm doing the same, but with Mafia 3. I really want the game, but knowing the likelyhood of it dropping to $49.99 within two months of release means I'll hold out.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I find playing and selling to be the best solution, though. I'm able to play the game for up to month and then sell it on Craigslist for $55 to $60.

killroy87

Says you :p

Lots of People get hundreds of hours out of Madden. I feel like E3 deals have spoiled us to the point of being in a mindset that no game is worth full price.

If I know I can get 20+ hours of solid enjoyment out of a game, it's worth full price. Might not mean I don't want to pay it, but doesn't mean it's too expensive.

Rbk_3

How do I transfer my current # over to this? I still have a year left on this plan so not sure what I'm supposed to do. Lol.

I feel like this won't work for me since I'm in BC. Would prefer to keep my #. :/

You port it in. It's simple.

If you have a year it will auto cancel your contract and you'll just pay off your device balance. It may be worth it depending on what your device balance is and what you currently pay monthly. You would have to do the math.

N° 2048

Any good/cheap phones to replace a Nexus 4?
No contract, I'm in a BYOP loyalty plan.
I only use phone for Spotify + text + call

Looking at HTC Desire 626 or S3 mini? I'm lost. Nexus 4 was perfect (minus no SD slot)

Looking at HTC Desire 626 or S3 mini? I'm lost. Nexus 4 was perfect (minus no SD slot)

A Galaxy S3 mini in 2016? If you want a cheap, decent phone, get one of the $100 - $150ish cheap BLU phones on Amazon

Lexxism

There are options like Public Mobile or Cityfone. Both BYOP plans.

Cityfone - $40 1GB data 400 minutes Canada Wide (using Rogers network)
Public Mobile - $38 2GB unlimited province call (using Bell/Telus network)

ovii

Wow, just checked Amazon and the used values are at $65 minimum. What.

I mean, I got mine trading for SSBWiiU, so that is probably about what I paid for mine. Crazy.

I know right. I thought I would find something cheaper on Amazon, eBay or Kijiji. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

N° 2048

There are options like Public Mobile or Cityfone. Both BYOP plans.

Cityfone - $40 1GB data 400 minutes Canada Wide (using Rogers network)
Public Mobile - $38 2GB unlimited province call (using Bell/Telus network)

Not changing my plan for anything. I pay $35 to Fido for:
Unlimited calling Canada Wide
Unlimited text International
2GB data
2 years Spotify.
Voicemail, caller I.D

Don't want want to let go of this.

A Galaxy S3 mini in 2016? If you want a cheap, decent phone, get one of the $100 - $150ish cheap BLU phones on Amazon

Honestly I might just do that...I'm going to miss my Nexus 4

Says you :p

Lots of People get hundreds of hours out of Madden. I feel like E3 deals have spoiled us to the point of being in a mindset that no game is worth full price.

If I know I can get 20+ hours of solid enjoyment out of a game, it's worth full price. Might not mean I don't want to pay it, but doesn't mean it's too expensive.

This would be true if games weren't nearing $100 a piece. $69.99 I was fine with, but $79.99 + tax is ridiculous, especially if you're in Ontario or Quebec. I feel for anyone who wants to day one games nowadays.

Best wishes.

-Deimos

No, this plan

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...o-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada

$48 Unlimited Canada wide 5GB

It is beyond simple to get.

1. Go to Koodo, open a new account with an Ontario #, choose the cheapest plan
2. When you get home log into the Self Serve and change your # to a Manitoba #.
3. When the billing cycle ends in 4-7 days, you can now pick the Manitoba $48 5 GB plan on the self serve
4. On the self serve, port your current ontario #.

You now have a $48 5 GB Canada wide plan with an Ontario #
Are there any cheaper Manitoba plans that are worth switching for?

Overwatch is the only game I bought full price this year.

Temptation to buy day one is even worse if you want a collector's edition though, because you know they won't be in-stock after the price drops.

I got two this year, WWE 2K17 for $147 and FFXV for $136 - and neither include the season pass. Along with Pokemon Sun/Moon, those are probably the only games I'll be getting on release up until RE7. Everything else that I want will have to wait until a sale. Gaming has always been a pretty expensive hobby, but the price increases here in Canada have made it really hard to justify buying any new games before a reasonable discount. 90% of my purchases this year were from PSN sales. Those flash sales are the perfect time to do some stocking up.

Tapejara

BTW does anyone know if Best Buy is still using Purolator in the GTA? The Purolator location near me closed down and recently and the closest one is pretty far away (well for me, a guy with agoraphobia).

killroy87

This would be true if games weren't nearing $100 a piece. $69.99 I was fine with, but $79.99 + tax is ridiculous, especially if you're in Ontario or Quebec. I feel for anyone who wants to day one games nowadays.

Best wishes.

Someone is either too young or too ignorant to remember $109.99 N64 games.

Sora_N

You port it in. It's simple.

If you have a year it will auto cancel your contract and you'll just pay off your device balance. It may be worth it depending on what your device balance is and what you currently pay monthly. You would have to do the math.

My subsidy will be about $218 next month. My billing cycle just started again.

What are they chances of them auditing the account with Koodo? Keeping my number is the most important thing for me.

I don't mind paying the subsidy since I want more data.

My current plan is $45 for 500mb+500mb. I pay $10/extra 1gb so essentially $55 for 2gb.

Koodo has 2gb for $55 right now too as a promo.

Deadly

Goddamnit, I really wanted to play Deus Ex Mankind Divided early for once. I see 25% off 44.99 USD, go to convert it... 68.99$. I never asked for this :(

Someone is either too young or too ignorant to remember $109.99 N64 games.
Didn't Nintendo have some kind of royalty scheme that allowed them to bank large profits off of expensive cartridges? Which is why they've stuck with proprietary output for so long? That's why they ended up losing series like Final Fantasy to Sony, who not only provided more space for the game due to not being attached to outdated cartridges, but also allowed for a more even profit split between all that were involved. N64 games were expensive, but it wasn't just simply accepted and embraced by everyone back in the '90s. Moreover, we're talking about a completely different decade where the CAD$, cost of living, wages, etc. were different than they are now. Comparing prices from back then to now doesn't make today's prices look any better. Games right now are still overpriced.

UberTag

Goddamnit, I really wanted to play Deus Ex Mankind Divided early for once. I see 25% off 44.99 USD, go to convert it... 68.99$. I never asked for this :(
At least last year's E3 pre-orders at Amazon are coming through here.
Happy to pay $44.09 (plus tax) Canadian to get this game at launch.

RS4-

My subsidy will be about $218 next month. My billing cycle just started again.

What are they chances of them auditing the account with Koodo? Keeping my number is the most important thing for me.

I don't mind paying the subsidy since I want more data.

My current plan is $45 for 500mb+500mb. I pay $10/extra 1gb so essentially $55 for 2gb.

Koodo has 2gb for $55 right now too as a promo.

never know what Koodo will do, despite them having known about it for quite some time. Maybe they're just waiting for it to reach x number of customers and they come down on them.

Never got around to buy the Dragon Age: Inquisition DLC. Flash sale has the GOTY Edition at 15.99$ or the 3 DLC at 14.99$ each. I don't want to install the whole thing, I still play with my disc copy. They should really also put DLC on sale when they do something like that.

Rbk_3

never know what Koodo will do, despite them having known about it for quite some time. Maybe they're just waiting for it to reach x number of customers and they come down on them.

Then there will be a mass exodus of subscribers. They know about it for years and haven't even closed the loop hole to get it, let alone kick everyone off the plan. New people are getting it every day, if they wanted it to stop they would have fixed the loop hole long ago.

Vinc

Do you guys think PS4 Neo will cost more than 499 here? At 499 I'll probably bite, but anything over that and I'm out...

Do you guys think PS4 Neo will cost more than 499 here? At 499 I'll probably bite, but anything over that and I'm out...

I can't imagine Sony releasing another console above $399 USD.

So assuming that's the max it would put us at $550. Which is what I would bet on.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If it launches at $399 in the US, it will be $549 here because that's the same price setup for the PSVR. Unless they make a special case and set it to $499, only $100 more like Microsoft has done with the Xbox One S. Hopefully they do that.
$549 with tax is like $620 which is fucking nuts for a console, add a game and there's $700. Not to mention PS5 is coming in like four years probably, so spending that much for a mid-cycle product is insane in my opinion. If it was the launch price and that $650 got you seven or eight years, sure that's better.

If it launches at $549 I'd rather just buy the Slim at <$300 and wait for the PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom