• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Reposted insight for new page:
Do you guys think PS4 Neo will cost more than 499 here? At 499 I'll probably bite, but anything over that and I'm out...
If it launches at $399 in the US, it will be $549 here because that's the same price setup for the PSVR. Unless they make a special case and set it to $499, only $100 more like Microsoft has done with the Xbox One S. Hopefully they do that.
$549 with tax is like $620 which is fucking nuts for a console, add a game and there's $700. Not to mention PS5 is coming in like four years probably, so spending that much for a mid-cycle product is insane in my opinion. If it was the launch price and that $650 got you seven or eight years, sure that's better.

If it launches at $549 I'd rather just buy the Slim at <$300 and wait for the PS5.

zroid

Banned
I'm really out of the loop, is the slim not the same thing as the Neo?

if the Slim is a cheaper OG model which launches alongside the neo then I'm very down for that

farisr

Yeah, really dreading what Canadian price Sony is going to put on the Neo after their PSVR pricing.

But looking at the way they're pricing PS4 gives me some hope that it'll only be a $100 difference from the US price since:

349.99 USD bundle is 429.99 CAD
369.99 USD bundle is 459.99 CAD

kevin1025

Banned

If it launches at $399 in the US, it will be $549 here because that's the same price setup for the PSVR. Unless they make a special case and set it to $499, only $100 more like Microsoft has done with the Xbox One S. Hopefully they do that.
$549 with tax is like $620 which is fucking nuts for a console, add a game and there's $700. Not to mention PS5 is coming in like four years probably, so spending that much for a mid-cycle product is insane in my opinion. If it was the launch price and that $650 got you seven or eight years, sure that's better.

If it launches at $549 I'd rather just buy the Slim at <$300 and wait for the PS5.

Yeah, that price really scares me off from buying it. For $370 (taxes included) I plan on buying a new video card and hoping for the best, haha, $550 before taxes is too far!

whitehawk

Banned
Any good/cheap phones to replace a Nexus 4?
No contract, I'm in a BYOP loyalty plan.
I only use phone for Spotify + text + call

Looking at HTC Desire 626 or S3 mini? I'm lost. Nexus 4 was perfect (minus no SD slot)
It might be worth waiting for the Nexus 7P phone or whatever it's called and see if you can get a 5x or 6p on clearance. That's what I'm going to do.

Unless your phone broke. You can get tons of good mid range phones for cheap.

I'm using an Asus Zenfone laser 2 I got for $240 from Staples last December. It's not bad, got updated to marshmallow. Could be a little faster but it gets the job done.

Xenoflare

That reminds me, $400 USD is 521 in CAD, Microsoft decided to eat that 20 dollars but sony did not, could yen also be a factor in this? I found that both Nintendo and Sony has more aggressive adjustments compared to MS.

and yeah, I'd rather just find a discount slim next year if Neo is $549, not worth it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That reminds me, $400 USD is 521 in CAD, Microsoft decided to eat that 20 dollars but sony did not, could yen also be a factor in this? I found that both Nintendo and Sony has more aggressive adjustments compared to MS.

and yeah, I'd rather just find a discount slim next year if Neo is $549, not worth it.

It's because Microsoft have datacentres, offices, The Coalition is in Vancouver, they have Microsoft stores here...etc. They can just funnel that revenue into those places, they don't need to convert back to USD, so they can afford to price it lower than the exchange rate. That's why they didn't raise the price on the Xbox One right away as well, and it helped competing with the PS4, where as the PS4 raised to $450 the summer after launch.

Xenoflare

It's because Microsoft have datacentres, offices, The Coalition is in Vancouver, they have Microsoft stores here...etc. They can just funnel that revenue into those places, they don't need to convert back to USD, so they can afford to price it lower than the exchange rate.

This explains a bit, thank you.

So according to the wallstreet journal the slim will retail lower than the current ps4, the current model is being phased out completely.

I'm excited about the news but I'm also concerned, if the neo is $200 or more than the slim I think it'll basically be DOA.

Past

I wonder how they will market the Neo if it does come out the same day as the PS VR. Are they going to straight up say that the PS VR will perform way better on the Neo? That's pretty much telling the consumers that they have to spend $1000+ to fully experience PS VR on day 1.

Kyolux

I wonder how they will market the Neo if it does come out the same day as the PS VR. Are they going to straight up say that the PS VR will perform way better on the Neo? That's pretty much telling the consumers that they have to spend $1000+ to fully experience PS VR on day 1.

PS VR performs perfectly on regular PS4. It has to anyway. 90fps is the minimum for PS VR games and the PS4 hits that no problem (or sometimes 60fps reprojected to 120).

Neo games on VR are just going to look better. Which is nice in itself since the graphics takes their toll when in VR.

Edit: Anyone knows of any deals for King of Fighters XIV? I've rechanged my mind about getting it. But last minute like this, I'm gonna guess PSN will be the cheaper option?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm leaving for an european country soon, and I need to get some euros... Anyone could give advice on where to look for the best exchange rate? I'm not sure what would be the best and I don't want to get ripped off with fees / bad exchange rate...

Kyolux

So I'm leaving for an european country soon, and I need to get some euros... Anyone could give advice on where to look for the best exchange rate? I'm not sure what would be the best and I don't want to get ripped off with fees / bad exchange rate...

Start by checking rates and fees with your bank(s). Then look up some of the exchange places in your city and compare with those.

I think shopping around is the only solution here. I don't think there's a consistent good answer.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dat PS+ price increase

clapping-ha-ha-wtf-shocked-laughing-13538573029.gif

Mine expires next October. Maybe I will pick up a year or two so I don't have to deal with this $69.99 bullshit for a while.

Hell, maybe the dollar will adjust and cards will be at $59.99 by the time I need to renew.

Does Shoppers charge tax on these?

This is the current cheapest PS Plus membership price. I'd recommend buying a year sooner rather than later with that $69.99 new price coming on Sept 22nd.

http://www.costco.ca/PlayStation-Plus-12-month-membership---Electronic-Code.product.100146149.html

You save roughly $25 dollars :/

thanks. Anything cheaper?

I've looked on ebay and some of the shady re-seller websites, but nothing so far.

Finding Xbox Live codes is usually pretty easy, could never find PS+ discounted.

joms5

70 fucking bucks with their shitty PS+ offerings??
What a fucking joke.

I will never understand why people supported this idea from the beginning. Was such a good idea of them to mask it during the "we play used games" announcement during E3.

I will never have PS+. You shouldn't have to pay for online.

khaaan

Nope.

PS+ was already of questionable value for me. I don't play a lot of MP, the monthly games are usually a miss, and the benefits from sale discounts would only manifest once in a blue moon. I think my sub runs till early next year but I'll be letting it lapse.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This just kind of further reinforces my plan to keep playing multiplayer on Xbox and the PlayStation consoles for those sweet single-player story driven Sony Studios games. I know in the grand scheme of things $20/year isn't bank breaking, but they fucking said at the PS4 launch they will charge for MP to improve their networks. Have they added fucking 2FA yet? Did they get dedicated servers for first party titles? The PS+ free titles quality has significantly decreased. The voice chat quality/codec still sucks.
What is their excuse for this increase, to improve their network?

Pffftttt.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This just kind of further reinforces my plan to keep playing multiplayer on Xbox and the PlayStation consoles for those sweet single-player story driven Sony Studios games. I know in the grand scheme of things $20/year isn't bank breaking, but they fucking said at the PS4 launch they will charge for MP to improve their networks. Have they added fucking 2FA yet? Did they get dedicated servers for first party titles? The PS+ free titles quality has significantly decreased. The voice chat quality/codec still sucks.

Pffftttt.
That's pretty much the same boat I'm in.

bobeth

I'm excited about the news but I'm also concerned, if the neo is $200 or more than the slim I think it'll basically be DOA.
I wouldn't worry. Both units will play the same games, the Neo doesn't need to get out with a bang. Sony will be happy to sell you either sku. Plenty of time for price drops in the future.

mdubs

Banned

Pffftttt.
Realest post

DVCY201

Yea, I barely play online anymore. And I save more in the long run by not having it even during their sales where they give an extra bit off for subscribers. What terrible value for $70.

Cake Boss

Banned
lol fuck off Sony, soon as I was making the transition from Xbox to PS.

Hopefully once the slim is announced, retailers start bundling up the OG phat PS4 and including the PS+ cards to push them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom