• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Random question: do you all know if any store in Toronto that has good deals on PSP stuff, or at least a good selection of games?

Try GameCentre. They have a location by Yonge/Bloor and another one by Pape/Danforth. Don't know if it'll be "good deals" but they carry older systems and games which might be worth a look.

superbad

----
BONUS: Some leftovers from the Nintendo eShop Bundle.

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Wii U: A08L1FUV34X2JUYX

Mighty Switch Force! 3DS: A08KUAFR1AHAY60N

OlliOlli 3DS: A08MG7LD1BMXJV12

Gunman Clive 3DS: A08LAUCL2U0SK374

Was there more than one eShop Humble Bundle? I never got these games...

Thanks for the tips on tracking down PSP stuff in Toronto, y'all. Kijiji is tough because it seems like all the PSP heads getting rid of their stuff are in Mississauga and Markham for some reason, lol. Toronto peeps hanging onto their games (or never bought 'em, more likely).

lupinko

There shouldn't be any tax on PSN cards. What store is that?
Costco is charging me PST because I put my BC addresss and billing info.

With that PST I'm not getting my $10 in savings.

I'm trying to buy PS+.

I'm getting charged $6.44 in PST, CanadaGAF help! Lol

Edit: I just used a Calgary shipping address. No more PST. I'm good for two years now.

When I tried buying an Amazon gift card at Petro Canada, they wanted to charge $13 in tax, so I walked out.

Also, somehow Amazon.com is selling that great Ninja Turtles adult colouring book for $6.56, despite it just coming out on the 9th. Amazon.ca still has it for full price of $18.76. That's really shitty.

lupinko

When I tried buying an Amazon gift card at Petro Canada, they wanted to charge $13 in tax, so I walked out.

Also, somehow Amazon.com is selling that great Ninja Turtles adult colouring book for $6.56, despite it just coming out on the 9th. Amazon.ca still has it for full price of $18.76. That's really shitty.

I was trying to buy two copies of the Story Girl by LM Montgomery for my students, Amazon.com was asking for $10 USD for shipping, Amazon.ca was asking for $33 CAD for shipping.

This is both to Japan too, smh.

That's a pretty big difference.

I'm thinking about ordering another book (a really cool tattoo book I saw at Chapters for $19, which I found for $13.60) at Book Depository. I'd never heard of the site until this thread, but it sounds great and has good prices plus free shipping.

Of course, the Canada Post fiasco may fuck me over.

soultron

Banned
Random question: do you all know if any store in Toronto that has good deals on PSP stuff, or at least a good selection of games?
I usually go to A&C Games on Spadina, it's a short walk North from Kensington Market along Spadina. Their selection is pretty good but they know the value of things so sometimes things feel a bit pricey.

I usually go to A&C Games on Spadina, it's a short walk North from Kensington Market along Spadina. Their selection is pretty good but they know the value of things so sometimes things feel a bit pricey.

Everything over there is overpriced(even for a retail store).

gabbo

Yeah...nice store and I'm impressed that they have so much stuff complete in box, but waaay overpriced. Must be a 30% upcharge on every game.

Do you have any suggestions for other stores? I've had a hard time finding a place with selection as good A&C. Only found Iceman's to be similar quality, and it's a longer walk and priced roughly the same.

I assume Ice Man games still has a location in Kensington Market? They tend to have a decent retro-selection as well. They may have PSP content.

I assume Ice Man games still has a location in Kensington Market? They tend to have a decent retro-selection as well. They may have PSP content.

Iceman has moved, actually, a few blocks away on Queen St West. I was very disappointed to go into Kensington one day and discover that Iceman's original location had been replaced by yet another weed dispensary, haha.

Iceman has moved, actually, a few blocks away on Queen St West. I was very disappointed to go into Kensington one day and discover that Iceman's original location had been replaced by yet another weed dispensary, haha.

Bleh. They were running both locations for a while. I would take a trip to both of them.

Do you have any suggestions for other stores? I've had a hard time finding a place with selection as good A&C. Only found Iceman's to be similar quality, and it's a longer walk and priced roughly the same.

Here's a list of some stores: http://www.blogto.com/tech/2016/06/the_top_10_video_game_stores_in_toronto/

Gamerama and Game Centre are both decent and have a bunch of easily subway-able locations, haven't been to Last Gen yet, but I've heard that's pretty good. Iceman is definitely the best I've been to in the city when it comes to selection/price, but you can still find some gems at some of these other places.

terrible

Banned
bestbuy has some deals on for 4k tvs. i got a sony x850d yesterday for a couple hundred off, its a pretty great tv

with how bad our dollar is, its the best i could get for a while:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=924a4640257c028c36526fef7504f399en02

My oldish 1080p Panasonic plasma refuses to die. I'm glad it still works but at the same time I wouldn't mind a 4K TV but I can't justify such a purchase when what I have works perfectly already. That looks like a nice TV though.

Corey31

My oldish 1080p Panasonic plasma refuses to die. I'm glad it still works but at the same time I wouldn't mind a 4K TV but I can't justify such a purchase when what I have works perfectly already. That looks like a nice TV though.

I'm the same way, I'm itching to get a new TV but my 720p Sharp LCD in my bedroom that is now over 10 years old still works fine.

frequency

Happy no canada post strike just yet morning canadagaf.

May all your expected stuff be delivered today.

So glad no strike yet. I have my World of Warcraft: Legion coming today via Canada Post. I'd be quite unhappy if it got stuck at some sort facility for however long the strike goes...

BTails

My codes showed up from Costco! Crazy to think Injust bought 2 years of Playstation Plus for $90, and it'll cost $70 for one year a few weeks from now.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody knows a good pair of over the hear Bluetooth headset? I don't want them too big and also not too expensive.

My main concern is the sound bleeding out. I mostly listen to music in the subway and at the gym and I don't want to annoy the people around me.

Wirecutter is recommending the Jabra MOVE Wireless set which is around 99$ up here in Canada. Looks promising but I never heard of that company before.

i-Jest

Try GameCentre. They have a location by Yonge/Bloor and another one by Pape/Danforth. Don't know if it'll be "good deals" but they carry older systems and games which might be worth a look.

I think they have a location at Dufferin and St.Clair as well.

ElNino

Anybody knows a good pair of over the hear Bluetooth headset? I don't want them too big and also not too expensive.

My main concern is the sound bleeding out. I mostly listen to music in the subway and at the gym and I don't want to annoy the people around me.

Wirecutter is recommending the Jabra MOVE Wireless set which is around 99$ up here in Canada. Looks promising but I never heard of that company before.
I've found that good Bluetooth headphones tend to be expensive, arguably too expensive depending on your budget.

I like V-Moda headphones personally, and I've heard good things about the Crossfade Wireless model, but I ended up getting Jaybird X2s for when I'm out and the normal Crossfades for home for cheaper than the the Crossfade Wireless would be on their own.

Jabra's mostly known for their bluetooth earpieces, and are relatively new to the headphones game. They're not some fly-by-night operation, if that's what you're worried about.

I own the Jabra Revo Wireless, Wirecutter's previous pick for best BT over-the-ear headphones, and found them kind of disappointing. Never could get used to their sound signature, and I found the touch controls annoying to use in practice. Before that, I had a pair of Meelectronics Runaways that sounded better, were lighter, and cost less, but had relatively poor build quality. That's one place I would absolutely trust the Revos; they're made of metal and felt pretty solid. But that's kind of it.

After buying the (expensive!) Revos and finding them lacking, I picked up a set of Meelectronics Matrix2 headphones and they've been my daily driver for 2+ years now. They sound better than the Revos did and they have actual push-button controls, which are way better for volume control than the touchy faux-scrollwheel touch controls on the Revo. Plus, no proprietary charging cable, and they come with a solid (though somewhat bulky) case! The only downside is mine have started cracking at the area where the headband slides into the earcup arms, but that's still much better than the Runaways.

All that said, I haven't tried the Move headphones. It's possible they sound a lot better than the Revos; back when I bought my Matrix2s, Wirecutter hadn't reviewed them yet, but the current review does list them as a very good option. That instills slightly more confidence.

EDIT: Oh man, read the highest comments on the Wirecutter article. Apparently the Move has crap build quality too. Honestly, I'd say go with the Matrix2, I don't know why the Wirecutter is so down on them and so weirdly high on Jabra headphones.

BadWolf

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00W4YU578/

I've been using these for a couple months now during my commute and they have been fantastic.

Just got off a call with Bell about setting up service (just Internet) at my new place, and they didn't have any openings before September 12. I'm moving on Wednesday...

Admittedly, I probably shouldn't have waited so late to set things up in a busy college area during the start of the school year.

Megasoum

Banned
I've found that good Bluetooth headphones tend to be expensive, arguably too expensive depending on your budget.

I like V-Moda headphones personally, and I've heard good things about the Crossfade Wireless model, but I ended up getting Jaybird X2s for when I'm out and the normal Crossfades for home for cheaper than the the Crossfade Wireless would be on their own.

Jabra's mostly known for their bluetooth earpieces, and are relatively new to the headphones game. They're not some fly-by-night operation, if that's what you're worried about.

I own the Jabra Revo Wireless, Wirecutter's previous pick for best BT over-the-ear headphones, and found them kind of disappointing. Never could get used to their sound signature, and I found the touch controls annoying to use in practice. Before that, I had a pair of Meelectronics Runaways that sounded better, were lighter, and cost less, but had relatively poor build quality. That's one place I would absolutely trust the Revos; they're made of metal and felt pretty solid. But that's kind of it.

After buying the (expensive!) Revos and finding them lacking, I picked up a set of Meelectronics Matrix2 headphones and they've been my daily driver for 2+ years now. They sound better than the Revos did and they have actual push-button controls, which are way better for volume control than the touchy faux-scrollwheel touch controls on the Revo. Plus, no proprietary charging cable, and they come with a solid (though somewhat bulky) case! The only downside is mine have started cracking at the area where the headband slides into the earcup arms, but that's still much better than the Runaways.

All that said, I haven't tried the Move headphones. It's possible they sound a lot better than the Revos; back when I bought my Matrix2s, Wirecutter hadn't reviewed them yet, but the current review does list them as a very good option. That instills slightly more confidence.

EDIT: Oh man, read the highest comments on the Wirecutter article. Apparently the Move has crap build quality too. Honestly, I'd say go with the Matrix2, I don't know why the Wirecutter is so down on them and so weirdly high on Jabra headphones.

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah the Matrix2 look interesting.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00W4YU578/

I've been using these for a couple months now during my commute and they have been fantastic.

I actually already bought Bluetooth earbuds. They sound fine but found out they never stay in my ears when I'm at the gym. Bought those.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pro...categoryid=12001&subcategoryid=1082707&cpncd=

big fake

Those who look for old retro/obscure games in Toronto, go try A&C Games, it has a lot those games you look for in EB Games that you just can't find.

Sorry if some of you already knew this! Thought I would post it so those who asked a couple pages back for PSP games can find those games in Toronto.

Tapejara

Amazon taking their sweet time sending out my Attack on Titan, which I'm supposed to receive tomorrow. >_>

Yeah, I'm still waiting on them to ship out Miku (and I think Assault Suit Leynos as well). Last week they shipped out my copies Deus Ex and KOF XIV at like the last hour possible Monday night, and I still got them day one on Tuesday. Hoping it's a similar situation.

This is just what Amazon does. Heck, they just sent out my pre-order of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided today.

If you have Prime that's just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom