• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulva

BTW, are you the creator of this line?

He isn't but a friend of mine is. If you (or anyone for that matter) have any questions about the clothing I can forward the messages for you.

One thing I will say though is that the dude who started this definitely believes in his product. He's huge in to a lot of street wear fashion and culture, so he understands the importance of quality etc. I'm not saying this to shill for him or anything, just an honest observation.

I hope he does well though, I know this means a lot to him.

lupinko

Do you guys think there will be PS Plus sales this Boxing Day or Black Friday?

Actually, were there any last year?

I'm debating buying a regular price one to bump up my sub to 3 years before the 22nd.

Kyolux

Do you guys think there will be PS Plus sales this Boxing Day or Black Friday?

Actually, were there any last year?

I'm debating buying a regular price one to bump up my sub to 3 years before the 22nd.

There hasn't been one in years afaik.

Even if there was, I doubt it'd take it down more than current price. I'd say you should buy now.

Seems like you missed out on the costco deal too. They only have 3 months packs in stock.

lupinko

There hasn't been one in years afaik.

Even if there was, I doubt it'd take it down more than current price. I'd say you should buy now.

Seems like you missed out on the costco deal too. They only have 3 months packs in stock.

I didn't miss out on Costco, I bought two and even posted about it on this thread and elsewhere in another.

N° 2048

As said earlier.

Shit is getting so expensive....I'm starting to embrace the backlog more. Just started downloading Yakuza 4.

Kyolux

As said earlier.

Shit is getting so expensive....I'm starting to embrace the backlog more. Just started downloading Yakuza 4.

Enjoy, was my second favorite game to platinum. (After Bayonetta jp import)

If you're going for that though, prepare a swear jar. :p And if you are.. let me know.. there's a trick for pachinko..

superbad

Trying to buy a used Vita (pre 3.61). Friend got lucky and found a non-refurb used at EB for $120. The store clerk let us turn it on and check the firmware before we bought it. I could only find refurbs for $150...and the clerks would not let me power it on without buying it. Ugh.

Trying to find a reasonably priced one on Kijiji but people are insane with their asking prices.

Just gonna' leave this here...

https://mtcfactoryoutlet.com/product-category/gaming/game-consoles/

I bought a white OLED model from them back in April and it was immaculate. These guys do all of Sony's repairs.

Here's a thing I saw...there's this retro game booth near the Eaton Centre in Toronto, and they have this section of fan games for SNES - mods, hacks, some stuff like Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes, fan translations of Sailor Moon and Dragon Quest V, etc. It seems like they've put the ROMs on SNES carts.

Here's an extremely blurry and terrible picture:

snes_fan_games.jpg

They sell these carts for 40 bucks a pop. What is this? Is this like when I was in high school and comic book shops would sell fansub anime tapes to anyone who was wild enough about Slayers to pay 20 dollars for a VHS with three poorly transferred episodes on it? Seems sketchy and unethical...but these also just seem like weird curios that I doubt anyone would actually buy. I don't get why this booth should be making 40 bucks off of the work of the fans who made these games for free. What's the deal here? Am I being a moral polyanna? Is this some accepted practice that I don't know about?

farisr

Even worse I'm not seeing that many listings for it. The game must have done pretty badly :(
I put it up for sale as soon as I sold my ps4, Friday August 26th. For $60 from the getgo. Had no one message me over the next few days at all, not even the typical lowballers. So I said screw it and pulled the listing. Wouldn't be surprised if many people are having to resort to doing trade-ins.

I definitely wasn't going to do that, wasn't going to let it go for less than $50. Decided to keep it. But yeah, hoping the Neo comes out soon so I can actually play it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here's a thing I saw...there's this retro game booth near the Eaton Centre in Toronto, and they have this section of fan games for SNES - mods, hacks, some stuff like Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes, fan translations of Sailor Moon and Dragon Quest V, etc. It seems like they've put the ROMs on SNES carts.

https://s9.postimg.org/gfwz4axi7/snes_fan_games.jpg

They sell these carts for 40 bucks a pop. What is this? Is this like when I was in high school and comic book shops would sell fansub anime tapes to anyone who was wild enough about Slayers to pay 20 dollars for a VHS with three poorly transferred episodes on it? Seems sketchy and unethical...but these also just seem like weird curios that I doubt anyone would actually buy. I don't get why this booth should be making 40 bucks off of the work of the fans who made these games for free. What's the deal here? Am I being a moral polyanna? Is this some accepted practice that I don't know about?

I mean, I guess it depends on how much it would cost to make a repro of the game yourself. But yes, it's counterfeit merch. I just don't think anyone cares because no one knows about it, particularly since it's SNES games. It's like how the police shut down stores in Chinatown for selling bootleg movies, and the solution they came up with was to stop selling bootlegs of American movies but keep all their pirated Chinese movies. lol

I wouldn't have kept Deus Ex if I'd bought it, but it seems like nobody really wants it anyways.

It's too bad, because it had potential to be great like its predecessor. It's not bad, just decent.

CazTGG

snes_fan_games.jpg

I believe I know that vendor from when I visited that same place, Gameshack if I recall. The short answer is that there's a reason no one has the whistle blown on them yet: Stuff like ROM hack/fanmade games by way of reproduction cartridges occupy a very dubious legal grey area, in that they're not illegal but they are definitely questionable due to the contents of the game and the fact that the people that originally made them are rarely contacted or credited when people do so and are, in this particular case, ethically objectionable.

RS4-

Nice! There weren't shipping options though, so I didn't end up buying. If there are shipping options added, I'll definitely buy something.

Wait, you're here in TO right? At least I think I remember you being local.

Anyway, he just fixed the shipping options. If there is still a problem, let me know.

Remember, everything is in CAD.

soultron

Banned
Wait, you're here in TO right? At least I think I remember you being local.

Anyway, he just fixed the shipping options. If there is still a problem, let me know.

Remember, everything is in CAD.

Great, thanks! I am in Toronto, but I don't go to FGC events and I work crazy hours. Shipping is make or break for me, even for operations based in TO. Appreciate it!

Kyolux

I just hope eb or best buy will have decent trade in deal

Yeah, I have an extra PS3 (my original 40gb that I repaired), my current PS4 and a PS TV (lol not happening) that I'd like to trade in for it.

I may try to sell my HORI stick and my treadmill too on kijiji to raise funds. So that I can minimize the amount from my budget that'll go toward this after buying a PS VR.

Although, I'd rather wait and see how much of an improvement this thing will give to VR before jumping in.

RS4-

Yeah, I have an extra PS3 (my original 40gb that I repaired), my current PS4 and a PS TV (lol not happening) that I'd like to trade in for it.

I may try to sell my HORI stick and my treadmill too on kijiji to raise funds. So that I can minimize the amount from my budget that'll go toward this after buying a PS VR.

Although, I'd rather wait and see how much of an improvement this thing will give to VR before jumping in.

I don't have high hopes for PSVR, even with the price they're setting it at compared to Vive, etc.

It won't be Kinect bad.

iLLmAtlc

Yeah I think demand for games seems pretty low. I put pretty much my whole collection on Craigslist, most for 10 bucks each and I'm almost making no sales.

Kyolux

I don't have high hopes for PSVR, even with the price they're setting it at compared to Vive, etc.

It won't be Kinect bad.

Even with just what's announced now, I'll be happy with PS VR. I had an amazing time with it when I tried London Heist in July and that locked in my pre-order.

So I don't personally care about it selling well or not.

Gitaroo

I don't recommend trading in ps3. Seeing how most store don't even carry it anymore and buying it used isnt very cheap nor you know what kind of condition its in. Unless you own barely anything on it they system have quite a few exclusive. I am going to trade in my launch ps4, thats it.

Kyolux

I don't recommend trading in ps3. Seeing how most store don't even carry it anymore and buying it used isnt very cheap nor you know what kind of condition its in. Unless you own barely anything on it they system have quite a few exclusive. I am going to trade in my launch ps4, thats it.

Like I said, extra PS3. The one I want to trade in I repaired after buying a new one.

Edit:

Yakuza 0 up for pre-order. 79.99.. yikes.. That's more than what I paid last year in Tokyo 2 weeks after release. :/

Still getting it day 0 no matter what, but that's rough. I'll wait until Black Friday though to pre-order and hopefully there'll be a 20-30% deal then.

Welp, I ordered a Leafs jersey that I'll be too afraid to wear. I have two others, but one is from 2008/2009 (Sundin) and somehow managed to get a couple of flaws, while the other is one of those older CCM jerseys you'd find in Canadian tire for a decent price.

Sorry wallet

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

https://s9.postimg.org/gfwz4axi7/snes_fan_games.jpg

VG+ sells them also.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/snes-....html?osCsid=d6246a30d89ac668141b5cd0d14e19dc

Kyolux

There is just no games worth getting....

Really? There's nothing that grabs your interest? I have 14 games I want just on October 13. I won't get them all on release but that's not even counting the Star Wars and Rise of Tomb Raider stuff.

I mean, to each their own.. but to say there's nothing worth getting?

I ordered one jersey, which came to $95. Then, I got an email with a code for 10% off of a purchase for joining their mailing list.

I ordered another, saving about $10. But it won't let me cancel the first order, so I guess I'm forced to just return it in-store once it arrives.

I considered cancelling the charge through PayPal, but don't want it to screw up my other order or cause any issues.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You'll get your $549 Neo and you'll love it!
That's what I'm expecting, unfortunately.
They can suck it at that price. $630 with taxes and more than $700 if you add the latest blockbuster game.
Bahahaah this thing will sell like shit for this year, probably even the next. Unless of course Sony care more about selling the base PS4 and this is more like what the iPhone 6 Plus is to the iPhone 6.

kevin1025

Banned
They can suck it at that price. $630 with taxes and more than $700 if you add the latest blockbuster game.
Bahahaah this thing will sell like shit for this year, probably even the next. Unless of course Sony care more about selling the base PS4 and this is more like what the iPhone 6 Plus is to the iPhone 6.

I've basically switched over to PC, for around $350 I'm going to get a video card that basically puts me at par with what the Neo supposedly can do (unless the specs tomorrow are nuts, haha), and any exclusives I'll put up with the base PS4 performance. It'll hurt since I'll see all those nice and pretty videos, plus I've been kind of a trophy hunter over the years, but going over $600 is too high a barrier for me.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've basically switched over to PC, for around $350 I'm going to get a video card that basically puts me at par with what the Neo supposedly can do (unless the specs tomorrow are nuts, haha), and any exclusives I'll put up with the base PS4 performance. It'll hurt since I'll see all those nice and pretty videos, plus I've been kind of a trophy hunter over the years, but going over $600 is too high a barrier for me.
What I plan to do is either grab the slim and wait for PS5, or just wait to see what kind of price drops the Neo receives since I'm in no rush to play anything on it. I'm interested mostly in God of War, Spider-man, and TLOU 2 but the first two are probably 2018 titles and TLOU lol, probably 2020 if we're lucky.
Unless of course I get tons of disposable income in the near future.

Really? There's nothing that grabs your interest? I have 14 games I want just on October 13. I won't get them all on release but that's not even counting the Star Wars and Rise of Tomb Raider stuff.

I mean, to each their own.. but to say there's nothing worth getting?

I don't feel like buying a bunch of small digital titles so the only interesting stuff for me is driveclub vr :-/ (around the launch that is).

The software just isn't there imo but it's awesome that you are excited about all those games :)

kevin1025

Banned
What I plan to do is either grab the slim and wait for PS5, or just wait to see what kind of price drops the Neo receives since I'm in no rush to play anything on it. I'm interested mostly in God of War, Spider-man, and TLOU 2 but the first two are probably 2018 titles and TLOU lol, probably 2020 if we're lucky.
Unless of course I get tons of disposable income in the near future.

That's probably a safe bet, grabbing the slim. Of the three games you mentioned, I think God of War (supposedly it's been worked on for the past two years) and Spider-Man are 2017, but likely in the latter half... Last of Us 2, haha, no clue. A while from now, definitely. But a slim or seeing what happens price-wise is the good choice.

Xenoflare

Ironically buying a 500GB Xbox One S and a 500GB PS4 as of now is still cheaper to get a iPhone 6S+ at 16gb.

It's going to change tomorrow, but let that sink in.

I am going to get a slim if the prices are okay, as in, around the $350 ballpark.

mdubs

Banned
I ordered one jersey, which came to $95. Then, I got an email with a code for 10% off of a purchase for joining their mailing list.

I ordered another, saving about $10. But it won't let me cancel the first order, so I guess I'm forced to just return it in-store once it arrives.

I considered cancelling the charge through PayPal, but don't want it to screw up my other order or cause any issues.

Heads up Chewie - they don't take Paypal returns at their retail stores. You may want to call CS to cancel ahead of time. I learned this the hard way when I ordered a Jays hat last year

https://www.sportchek.ca/help-desk/ordering/paypal.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom