• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

I'll hold off on the Pro until I can get some uncompressed before and after shots. These Youtube feeds don't really tell me anything, especially with without HDR screens

Apparently SportChek will now handle PayPal returns in store. The information on their website is outdated.

I called their customer service line, and the guy offered to cancel my first order without issue. However, he told me that it had started processing so it was too late. I just have to take the packing slip in with me.

Absolutely, I'm quite shocked that the price between slim and pro is a merely $100

Me too

I don't know whether to go from original to Slim to Pro, or what it's going to cost me.

Sealtest

checked my local EB Games when I went out and asked about the NES classic.

Rumour running around our local stores is that NoC isn't holding preorders and they're just going to make them first come first serve. I can't say if he's lying to me or not but he was pretty good at getting me info about amiibos in the past.

Xenoflare

Apparently SportChek will now handle PayPal returns in store. The information on their website is outdated.

I called their customer service line, and the guy offered to cancel my first order without issue. However, he told me that it had started processing so it was too late. I just have to take the packing slip in with me.

Me too

I don't know whether to go from original to Slim to Pro, or what it's going to cost me.

I have a feeling that the pro is sold at a loss, I have no sources to back on though, just a thought.

I think I'm going after a slim. It will be the model where sales happen the most frequently. I also think Sony makes more per unit on the slim as well.

However if you already have a PS4 I say hold on to it

farisr

It's truly mind boggling how they don't have a 4K UHD drive in there.
I honestly think the fact that they are selling standalone bluray players for around the same price is the main factor in their decision to do this. They're probably making mad profit off those right now, and the pro launching at the same price while offering premium gaming could disrupt that and shift sales over to a less profitable system.

Edit: It seems they don't even had UHD bluray players on the market yet, they're due to launch in 2017. They have an UHD upscaling bluray player set up at $399.99 which made me think it was a proper one, because of the price, but it isn't an actual UHD bluray player. LOL.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think they wanted to keep the price at $400 USD. It's a expense thing
Yea I mean I knew that had to be the reason, but the device is aimed at 4K TV users but doesn't even do 4K gaming properly, nor 4K UHD Blu-ray.
It's confusing lol, it's not really a distinguishable device for the casual crowd, at least the price difference is only $100.

Xenoflare

I honestly think the fact that they are selling standalone bluray players for around the same price is the main factor in their decision to do this. They're probably making mad profit off those right now, and the pro launching at the same price while offering premium gaming could disrupt that and shift sales over to a less profitable system.

Hah! Never thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense.

Yea I mean I knew that had to be the reason, but the device is aimed at 4K TV users but doesn't even do 4K gaming properly, nor 4K UHD Blu-ray.
It's confusing lol, it's not really a distinguishable device for the casual crowd, at least the price difference is only $100.

I am surprised as you, I knew that the Xbox One S is going to get fucked one way or another but this is not what I expected, the 500G model is still extremely enticing for anyone that wants a UHDBR player. MS probably made a wise decision to make the 2TB a special edition thing, because honestly putting the Pro and 2TB S next to each other the pro wins many right on the spot.

Still love my One S though, I do however, regret a bit for that I should have waited for the 1TB hahahahhaaha.

Ahh, but knowing myself, I still would probably bought the 2TB on release day.

Does the lack of the bluray player indicate that the console itself is only upscaling 4k and isn't native 4k?

JSR_Cube

Placed a preorder on Amazon. Figured why not? That price can only go up till release the way I see it. I may not keep it in the end but since the cost to preorder is zero, why not?

Xenoflare

Placed a preorder on Amazon. Figured why not? That price can only go up till release the way I see it. I may not keep it in the end but since the cost to preorder is zero, why not?

Judging from Sony's past behavior with the OG PS4, this sounds more reasonable than I would think.

I did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. I can cancel it if need be, or keep it for a friend if I end up not wanting it at all.

And after the price increase shenanigans with the exchange rate during the PS4's launch window and shortly afterwards, I can only expect future nonsense.

tiijj

I did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. I can cancel it if need be, or keep it for a friend if I end up not wanting it at all.

And after the price increase shenanigans with the exchange rate during the PS4's launch window and shortly afterwards, I can only expect future nonsense.

Oh god that was terrible, you can't find a PS4 anywhere but the day that it increased in price it was available everywhere.

Is there a way I can transfer the preorder to someone else with an azmazon.ca acct? If I decide not to keep it, which is quite possible, I'd like to give it to someone who wants it.

Man. Not that I blame any of you for doing it, obviously, but it's really sad that people are now pre-ordering consoles because they might possibly want it one day and we're pretty sure it'll only go up in price. I'm sitting here thinking the PS4 Pro is a big waste of money for someone who already has a PS4, and I'm 99% sure I'm not going to buy one anytime soon.

And yet. The thought that this might go UP in price like the OG PS4. Christ.

Is there a way I can transfer the preorder to someone else with an azmazon.ca acct? If I decide not to keep it, which is quite possible, I'd like to give it to someone who wants it.

You can always change the shipping address to their residence and have them email you a gift card for the amount that is due and apply it to the purchase so that its paid off in full.

Savitar

I feel rather indifferent to it, it's definitely an upgrade but it also feels like they cut corners too since it supports 4K gaming but doesn't play 4K movies?! I don't know, just feels kinda odd. I'm not sure I see the point.

But what do I know, I've bought so many damn GB or DS upgrades I'm one to talk, but they weren't as big an investment either. For this if you don't got a 4K TV I really got no idea why you'd need it.

Good. I was able to order from my local EB for in store pickup. They require $50 down now via the online store. I ordered all the way from Bristol England. That at least leaves the ability to trade stuff in towards it.

It's up at EB BTW.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I look at it this way, if consoles are going through a tic/toc cycle like processors and iPhones, you might as well wait for the next one. This is the "S".

Heck, the fact that it doesn't even play 4k BDs means it has to be a stopgap.

Xenoflare

I look at it this way, if consoles are going through a tic/toc cycle like processors and iPhones, you might as well wait for the next one. This is the "S".

That was my mantra as I joined the 7th gen with PS3 slim, personally to me nothing changed since I always will wait for the "improved redesign" but with Neo being the first midgen performance upgrade, things are indeed going to change. I think generations will last longer

Gxgear

Holding onto my preorder for now, but that's what I'm thinking too. It's such a marginal upgrade that can only explained by that it's a provisional console to prepare for 4k/VR, and that there will be a fully 4k capable PS4 coming.

Or it could be that old Sony arrogance flaring up.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Yea this is very curious, I wonder if Sony is planning on bring the PS5 earlier than anticipated now, with Scorpio at 6TF and all. Maybe they want to have a PS5 in 2018?
Yea I think I will definitely wait to see how it shakes out, no fucking way I am paying $550+ for the Pro if the PS5 is announced two years later.

Xenoflare

Yea this is very curious, I wonder if Sony is planning on bring the PS5 earlier than anticipated now, with Scorpio at 6TF and all. Maybe they want to have a PS5 in 2018?
Yea I think I will definitely wait to see how it shakes out, no fucking way I am paying $550+ for the Pro if the PS5 is announced two years later.

I don't like that, I feel like no hardware is getting enough time to get warmed up before it goes to the backseat, I might just go PC then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't like that, I feel like no hardware is getting enough time to get warmed up before it goes to the backseat, I might just go PC then.
It's no different than GPUs and CPUs though. I mean at this point it feels like the Pro is for people who don't have a console more than people looking to upgrade like the Scorpio.

Tapejara

Yeah, Sony really fumbled the PS4 Pro announcement (for me, personally).

- 4K resolution is great, but I've been hearing that it's done through a temporal reconstruction method and not true native 4K. (I don't have a source for this, just what I've been reading on Twitter so until it's confirmed take it with a grain of salt)
- lack of 4K UHD Blu-ray playback

I don't own a 4K set yet, but I was hoping to get a PS4 Pro to serve as my UHD blu-ray player for when I do. And I just bought a GTX 1060 for $379.99, so outside of first party games there's no point in me getting it for 1080p gaming when I can get better performance on PC for multiplats.

I feel like they should have just followed Microsoft's trajectory and made the PS4 Slim support UHD blu-rays with a modest spec bump, and then released more powerful hardware next year. On the plus side though, like most here I was expecting at least $549 for the Pro, so at least the price isn't completely awful. Some of the hardware improvements are a welcome change as well, like 5Ghz Wi-Fi support.

Xenoflare

It's no different than GPUs and CPUs though. I mean at this point it feels like the Pro is for people who don't have a console more than people looking to upgrade like the Scorpio.

Something I don't understand is that the pro is pretty much 100% on point with it's leak in April and the foxxcon worker drawings last month, yet somehow there is still massive backlash. Is this just a GAF thing?

terrible

Banned
Something I don't understand is that the pro is pretty much 100% on point with it's leak in April and the foxxcon worker drawings last month, yet somehow there is still massive backlash. Is this just a GAF thing?

I was secretly hoping it'd be way more powerful. That's my fault but it's true.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think people just expected something that matched the Scorpio, but I suppose realistically it was too late to change anything by the time Scorpio was fully leaked/revealed.

I feel rather indifferent to it, it's definitely an upgrade but it also feels like they cut corners too since it supports 4K gaming but doesn't play 4K movies?! I don't know, just feels kinda odd. I'm not sure I see the point.

But what do I know, I've bought so many damn GB or DS upgrades I'm one to talk, but they weren't as big an investment either. For this if you don't got a 4K TV I really got no idea why you'd need it.

I gotta ask, everyone here preordering the Pro, do you have a 4K TV?

I ask because Im utterly confused as to whether it is worth the $250+ difference (selling OG and buying Pro) for someone with a typical 1080p TV and no intention to upgrade to 4K. (Because the distance to the TV from couch makes 4K indistinguishable from 1080p in my case)

Xenoflare

I was secretly hoping it'd be way more powerful. That's my fault but it's true.

I think people just expected something that matched the Scorpio, but I suppose realistically it was too late to change anything by the time Scorpio was fully leaked/revealed.

It..... makes sense, it's an overhyping thing.

But this thing is priced quite well for what it is, and I did recall people were quite happy with the 4.2TF power.

Hell it's thrice the power of the One S (1.4), and over twice of the PS4 (1.84)

Ultimately TF's aren't the only thing it matters since the Jaguar bottleneck is real, but still.

Anyways sorry if I brought in more negativity, that isn't my intention.

You can't have backlash on leaks or rumours because the counterpoint is "it's a leak/rumour, wait until it's official".

Once it's official you can backlash all day.

sjay1994

I straight up just had the dumbest amazon conversation. All I wanted to do, was change the shipping address of some orders to a different address, but amazon wouldn't let me click the button myself, so I had to contact CS.

Initial Question: I want to change the delivery address of multiple orders, but your system will not let me
04:33 PM PDT Sankar(Amazon): Hello, my name is Sankar. I'll be glad to assist you today.

04:34 PM PDT Me: Hi, Sankar. I want to edit the delivery address of a couple of orders, but the system will not let me unless I contact Customer Service
04:34 PM PDT Sankar: Sure, I will help you with this.
Could you please help me with the order numbers?

04:35 PM PDT Me: The orders I want to edit are (3 order numbers given)

I want them delivered to an address in my address book
04:36 PM PDT Sankar: Let me try to change that.
04:41 PM PDT Sankar: I have changed it to "Final Fantasy XV - PlayStation 4 - Standard Edition".
Please check with that.
04:42 PM PDT Me: It should be the address in my address book.
its not changed to that
04:46 PM PDT Me: hello?

So what this guy does is adds 3 copies of a straight up incorrect address, that I didn't type. He changes the order to that address, then transfers me to another CS represenative.

Then this happens

04:47 PM PDT Arun(Amazon): Hello, my name is Arun. I will be happy to help you today.

04:47 PM PDT Me: what happened to the other CS represenative?
04:48 PM PDT Arun: He transfer you to me.
04:48 PM PDT Me: ok
do you know my problem?
04:48 PM PDT Arun: Please allow me 1 - 2 minutes while I am reading your previous conversation.
04:50 PM PDT Arun: Could you please help me with order number one by one?
04:50 PM PDT Me: Order Numbers
04:51 PM PDT Arun: Thanks for the order number.
04:52 PM PDT Arun: I am sorry, but order id is invalid.
04:52 PM PDT Me: for all of them?
04:53 PM PDT Me: I literally copy pasted the number
04:54 PM PDT Arun: Yes for all of them it is showing invalid id.
04:55 PM PDT Me: how... the last CS rep had no problem, he changed it to the wrong address
then he transfered me to you
and I gave him the same numbers
04:56 PM PDT Me: hello?
04:58 PM PDT Arun: I tried it twice but I am unable to trace this order number.
04:58 PM PDT Me: try order number
05:00 PM PDT Arun: The order number you are giving is Amazon.ca that's the reason I am unable to trace these orders. Let me connect you to a member of our Amazon ca team. It will only take a moment.
05:01 PM PDT Me: ...are you serious
05:01 PM PDT Arun: Yes.

So basically, the last guy transfers me to Amazon.com, and the guy can't find my orders. And then he transfers me to another CS rep

05:03 PM PDT Amazon: Thank you for contacting Amazon.com.I will help you with this.
05:03 PM PDT Me: no
are you from amazon.ca
05:03 PM PDT Amazon: No. I am from Amazon.com/
05:04 PM PDT Me: omfg
05:04 PM PDT Amazon: Do you need assistance in Amazon.ca?
05:04 PM PDT Me: yes
05:04 PM PDT Amazon: Please wait. I will help you
05:05 PM PDT Amazon: Please use the link to contact them.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html
05:05 PM PDT Me: i'm done

All I wanted... was to click a button. Thats it. Instead, I get 3 copies of a random address in my address book, one of my orders is changed to it... and I am sitting here wasting my time because they keep transferring me to amazon.com

The actual dumbest shit.

I JUST WANT TO PUSH A BUTTON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom