• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Style

I gotta ask, everyone here preordering the Pro, do you have a 4K TV?

I ask because Im utterly confused as to whether it is worth the $250+ difference (selling OG and buying Pro) for someone with a typical 1080p TV and no intention to upgrade to 4K. (Because the distance to the TV from couch makes 4K indistinguishable from 1080p in my case)

I am very excited for the PS4 Pro and I don't care about the 4K at the moment. I am strictly picking one up for its 1080p benefits. And I'm not talking about the "Forward Compatible" patches, I'm looking forward to seeing bumps in performance for those games that won't be patched and can take advantage of the extra performance.

We've already seen this on the New 3DS where existing games benefit from the added horsepower. Even the Xbox One S and its minor bump in GPU clockspeed yielded some performance increases.

I hope to see games like Battlefield 4, GTAV and The Witcher 3 hit their respective target framerates with more consistency. I'm also looking forward to seeing if uncapped games like the new Hitman hit 60FPS. I almost don't want a PS4 Pro patches that add extra graphical bells and whistles just to have existing titles run better.

I'm viewing it like buying a new graphics card and overclocking my CPU for my existing games.

RS4-

Don't care about the lack of a UHD player personally, perfectly fine with going digital for movies if I really want to buy them. Tired of collecting dvds, then blurays and just have them collect dust.

josh924

Banned
The grips aren't as pronounced on the S controller, unfortunately. They're there, but not nearly as good.

Well, that sucks, but some grip is better than no grip, I think. I tried calling two different EB stores to see if they have any Lunar White controllers in stock, but the girl at the second store said that they were discontinued (even though I saw yesterday that MS is still selling them on Xbox.com). I'm feeling impatient today, so rather than try a few more stores to make sure, I decided on getting the S controller instead. I'm sure it'll still be an improvement over the regular black controller that came with my XB1.

Well, that sucks, but some grip is better than no grip, I think. I tried calling two different EB stores to see if they have any Lunar White controllers in stock, but the girl at the second store said that they were discontinued (even though I saw yesterday that MS is still selling them on Xbox.com). I'm feeling impatient today, so rather than try a few more stores to make sure, I decided on getting the S controller instead. I'm sure it'll still be an improvement over the regular black controller that came with my XB1.

Although the grips aren't great (which is a shame, they had a chance), the S controller is really nice. The weight is different, and feels good, and I really like how it feels. I just wish the grips were more pronounced, because that would make it ideal.

I sold my unused but opened Lunar yesterday, to a guy on Kijiji. I figured I would, because I doubt it would get much use here (now that I have an S controller I'm using) and the money will help me fund a purchase of that $80 Gears controller (as I'm a sucker.)

Xenoflare

Although the grips aren't great (which is a shame, they had a chance), the S controller is really nice. The weight is different, and feels good, and I really like how it feels. I just wish the grips were more pronounced, because that would make it ideal.

I sold my unused but opened Lunar yesterday, to a guy on Kijiji. I figured I would, because I doubt it would get much use here (now that I have an S controller I'm using) and the money will help me fund a purchase of that $80 Gears controller (as I'm a sucker.)

My two gripes with the S controller is that it actually creaks, none of my 360 pads did that, and for some reason the LED light on the play and charge cable is not working when charging, returned the kit in the end, the battery indicator on screen isn't helping either.

Other than that it's very nice to hold

Amazon CS has always been hit and miss. It's just that they used to be pretty generous with the discounts and compensation so it was worth the hassle.

Now that they've clamped down on the discounts, they've pretty much been intolerable. For a company with no B&M presence and an older website they really need to improve their CS to make their customer experience better.

Are we expecting the OG PS4 to drop in price with the announcement of the slim and pro?

I freaking hope so.

Unless...Sony made the slim ugly on purpose so people would go out and buy the OG PS4 while it lasts!!

BTails

Preordered my PS4 Pro... Haven't bought anything from EB Games for a while, but I preordered there (Pick up in store) so I can trade my old PS4 in. It'll probably be worth less than $200 by that point, but at least I'll get something, especially considering I wouldn't otherwise use it.

Plus, I can trade it in with my PS4 controller with the worn out sticks, haha.

tiijj

So it pays to upgrade the shipping?

In terms of shipping an item, other retailers are better than amazon (for free shipping). Bestbuy, ebgames, walmart, etc... are way better right now.

This is for both regular and pre-order. In my experience what amazon do with "free shipping" is they put an estimate at 1-2 weeks on the order. They will ship the item 1-2 days before the estimated 1 week, you'll get your item 5-7 days after the release date for pre-order or release date if it's a pre-order.

If you want to order from amazon and want it on release date get the "Two-Day Shipping --get it on its release day: November 10." It's an additional $5.90 which is not that bad. But they are not 100% guaranteed but they are usually good at fixing and compensating it if you didn't get it at their estimated delivery date.

Amazon CS has always been hit and miss. It's just that they used to be pretty generous with the discounts and compensation so it was worth the hassle.

Now that they've clamped down on the discounts, they've pretty much been intolerable. For a company with no B&M presence and an older website they really need to improve their CS to make their customer experience better.

It's not really surprising that they are clamping down on discount and stuff considering all the things that happened during last years 30% off lol.

Luigi87

Dat feeling of missing a delivery 'cause of being at work, and not being able to get it until after work the next day.

Also, damn I missed a lot of gaming news today, lol

I... I guess I might as well get the PS4 Pro...? Gonna put in my pre-order tomorrow at EB Games then I guess. This $580 though is hard to swallow

ohlawd

Canada post always asks duties when they deliver so you are probably safe.
If it was Fedex though then there would be 50/50 chance you would receive an invoice in the mail weeks later :p
thanks

gotta do some rearranging on my shelf now. move Cordelia up and the manga down

In terms of shipping an item, other retailers are better than amazon (for free shipping). Bestbuy, ebgames, walmart, etc... are way better right now.

This is for both regular and pre-order. In my experience what amazon do with "free shipping" is they put an estimate at 1-2 weeks on the order. They will ship the item 1-2 days before the estimated 1 week, you'll get your item 5-7 days after the release date for pre-order or release date if it's a pre-order.

If you want to order from amazon and want it on release date get the "Two-Day Shipping --get it on its release day: November 10." It's an additional $5.90 which is not that bad. But they are not 100% guaranteed but they are usually good at fixing and compensating it if you didn't get it at their estimated delivery date.

Thanks. 6 bucks on almost 600 is nothing to be stingy about.

UberTag

Yea it is expensive. But the shitty CAD is literally all to blame unfortunately.
I love how we're all sour at the terrible dollar when the exchange rate has largely remained flat for the past year.

Hell, it's actually improved in value considerably since mid-to-late January when the U.S. dollar was trending at close to $1.46 Canadian. It rebounded all the way to $1.25 Canadian back in early May but has otherwise been flirting with $1.30 without change.

What HAS changed, of course, is that publishers like Sony and Nintendo have decided to forego their generous price-matching policies and have been artificially adjusting their Day 1 marketplace and retail prices by 35% after being reluctant to budge up until now out of fear of consumer blow-back. They elected to make the change during the down summer months in hopes of cashing in during the fall from a gaming audience that had adjusted to their new reality. And naturally, seeing how none of us received 35% raises this year, we're grumpy.

Wow, surprised at the amount of people pre-ordering
E3 deals have conditioned people to pre-order without question for things whether they want them or not. This is a bad habit we need to break. Especially now that pre-order deals are all but dead.

Can I pre-order the Pro on EBgames.ca for pickup in store and then come Nov 10th bring my OG PS4 with me and get credit for it towards the Pro?

BTails

Can I pre-order the Pro on EBgames.ca for pickup in store and then come Nov 10th bring my OG PS4 with me and get credit for it towards the Pro?

That's what I plan on doing, though it wouldn't surprise me if the trade-in value for the OG decreases once the Slim is released.

Xenoflare

I don't see the PS4 Pro on Amazon.. does anyone have a link? Or is it just on ebgames?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LR207T8/

Here, it seems like it's under the same item as regular PS4s

I'm just hoping if they do price it at 500 it's gonna be 500usd and 500cad.

That's what they did with the xbone I believe.

Our dollar does not allow that if the flat exchange rate continues, sadly the XB1 not getting a price hike was probably due to MS's choice. When they were first announced our dollar was still much, much closer to the USD.

God I remember getting worked up for $64.99 games, now that is a sale price.

btkadams

Our dollar does not allow that if the flat exchange rate continues, sadly the XB1 not getting a price hike was probably due to MS's choice. When they were first announced our dollar was still much, much closer to the USD.

Thanks for the link, guys!

That's the thing, back when Sony increased the price of the ps4 due to our dollar microsoft kept it at the same price as it was in the US (500 bucks), unless I'm misremembering.

Xenoflare

That's the thing, back when Sony increased the price of the ps4 due to our dollar microsoft kept it at the same price as it was in the US (500 bucks), unless I'm misremembering.

That is true, but our dollar is much stronger back then.

Damn it, can't believe how long we've been living under this dollar, pardon me I am getting pissed off again by this haha.

josh924

Banned

Yeah, I managed to replace my Lunar White with the S controller. The grip is barely there, but there's enough that your hands won't slip like they would on the pre-headset jack controllers. I noticed that the Guide button is basically flush with the surface of the controller; I can't tell yet if that's a good thing or not. There's something slightly different about it compared to the Lunar White and the standard controller (probably the weight difference you mentioned), but other than the lack of pronounced grip, I'm liking it.

Yeah, I managed to replace my Lunar White with the S controller. The grip is barely there, but there's enough that your hands won't slip like they would on the pre-headset jack controllers. I noticed that the Guide button is basically flush with the surface of the controller; I can't tell yet if that's a good thing or not. There's something slightly different about it compared to the Lunar White and the standard controller (probably the weight difference you mentioned), but other than the lack of pronounced grip, I'm liking it.

Good to hear

I really like the texture of the front faceplate as it slopes down towards the X button. But, yeah, the X button is going to take some time to get used to because it's definitely different.

I opened the second controller I picked up and it seems good. I haven't put batteries in yet. But I got it for $60 and for peace of mind due to OCD, after selling two others.

*grumble*

starting to think I should just skip this gen. the Canadian dollar is killing me.

380 for a slim version 3 years after release is ridiculous for a console I bought at release for 400. Obviously I understand the reasoning for it but holy crap. Ready for that dollar to bounce back any year now!

Damn it. I just discovered that they're selling both the red and blue Gears of War 4 controllers separately. For $84.99 which is outrageous.

It's hard to pick between them, not that I need one.

EDIT: I see that they've adjusted the price of the Leafs jersey. I'm glad I was able to get one for $85.43 all in, instead of $139.99 plus tax. Thanks again for that. I'll likely return the second one I couldn't cancel, or just sell it to a friend for $100.

farisr

PS4 Pro is up for preorder at Best Buy now

Gonna cancel the amazon order I made yesterday, as I had $65 on a gift card that I got from best buy for trading in my old, glitchy phone that was unsellable on kijiji, and the copy of Halo 5 that I got with the XB1S. Funnily enough, it covers the tax exactly, so my credit card is going to get charged 499.99 when it ships.

Add the $300 I got for selling my ps4 the other day, I'm only paying $200 out of pocket, which is basically what I paid out of pocket for the XB1S as well after trading the old XB1 in. Not bad.

LordOfChaos

Sony seems to be eating a 15 dollar hit to hit a precise 500 dollars instead of the direct 515 conversion...So that's where all the 15 dollar UHD drive costs are going!

T1VsAuX.png

I gotta ask, everyone here preordering the Pro, do you have a 4K TV?

I ask because Im utterly confused as to whether it is worth the $250+ difference (selling OG and buying Pro) for someone with a typical 1080p TV and no intention to upgrade to 4K. (Because the distance to the TV from couch makes 4K indistinguishable from 1080p in my case)

Anyone?

I am very excited for the PS4 Pro and I don't care about the 4K at the moment. I am strictly picking one up for its 1080p benefits. And I'm not talking about the "Forward Compatible" patches, I'm looking forward to seeing bumps in performance for those games that won't be patched and can take advantage of the extra performance.

We've already seen this on the New 3DS where existing games benefit from the added horsepower. Even the Xbox One S and its minor bump in GPU clockspeed yielded some performance increases.

I hope to see games like Battlefield 4, GTAV and The Witcher 3 hit their respective target framerates with more consistency. I'm also looking forward to seeing if uncapped games like the new Hitman hit 60FPS. I almost don't want a PS4 Pro patches that add extra graphical bells and whistles just to have existing titles run better.

I'm viewing it like buying a new graphics card and overclocking my CPU for my existing games.

Thanks for the input. Something for me to think about. Problem I have is it feels somewhat speculative. We hope there are patches for prior releases...and those patches look at the 1080p experience like framerate. The other thread many people seem to think the focus will be on textures and such moreso than framerates.

So I am still not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom