• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with the Amazon Prime deals..

I'm ending up ordering some of the PS VR games physically instead of going 100% digital as planned.

But I'm a bit stuck for some of the games. PS VR is out on a Thursday. I'm not in Toronto (or Vancouver).. so no same day delivery.

There's a few games I want to have, but need to play the demo first. But odds are that I want them for the week-end since I'll have two different parties with friends to try out the PS VR.

So do I save on tax, or 20% but have to take chances on some titles?!

first world problems
heh

If I were you, I would just try out all the demos before committing to a purchase considering you still have two weeks after launch to get them at 20% off.

Kyolux

If I were you, I would just try out all the demos before committing to a purchase considering you still have two weeks after launch to get them at 20% off.

Yeah, that's the reasonable thing to do.

But I have like 11 people to entertain, and I want those games if I'm going to get them during my vacations. Here lies my issue.. Otherwise, wouldn't have any issue with waiting.

But yeah, digital as the advantage of me keeping the headset on for switching game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I can get student prime for $40. That pretty much makes this a no brainer right? I'd save $40 just by reordering Persona 5 CE and Pokemon Sun + Moon.

Windam

Scaley member
Is Prime's free same-day delivery here to stay or is it a limited time promotion? I mean I'm already subbed since I pay half price (student), but this being a permanent or regular promotion would be gravy.

trixx

Yeah Amazon Student is $40. I don't play as much video games and I don't usually shop online so I don't know if I should subscribe.

Only games on my radar is pokemon moon and Breath of the Wild, but I've had that preordered from best buy for like 3 years now LOL. My brother is looking at getting a ps4 or xbone but we need to find a good deal on one of those first.

For any fashion gaffers in Toronto, Uniqlo finally opened a store at eaton centre

Ondore

Havent seen sales on Nintendo games for a long time here in T.O. I think. Looking to buy Yoshi's Woolly Lands and Pokken on WiiU.

Woolly World is now sold with a Yarn Yoshi amiibo for $40 (down from $70 for a comparable bundle before). If there's a loose copy it might be less.

I haven't seen Pokken on sale anywhere since launch.

store.playstation.com has a Final Fantasy XV banner that says AVAILABLE NOW.

If you click through you end up at the preorder screen of course. Someone forgot to update something.

NYR

Looks like prime in Canada now gives 20% off listing price on video games.

Just re-placed my screwed up e3 orders using the prime trial I just got and a bunch of other games such as Digimon next order at 20% off.

I might sub to prime now.
This is awesome.

You mean for 80 bucks a year. lol

How much is Two-Day shipping? $4?

That's about $20 a game at $79.99. More if you order an LE like Persona. At four games Prime pays for itself and with Two-Day shipping you will usually get your game on release date if not a day later.

That's damn good. If you're ordering four games or more at $79.99 a game before discount, it's worth it.

diaspora

20% off preorders and games from the first two weeks and two-day shipping (same day for me in Toronto) easily justifies the price of admission.

Grimsen

In my case, I don't see the point of getting Prime right now, all my preorders are discounted already. I'd get things in a more timely fashion, but meh.

If we don't get E3 deals next year, and Prime becomes my only method of getting discounted preorders, then I might consider it.

Cynar

This got me to try out prime. I don't have a discount on sun and Moon so this is good enough for me. That six month trial should be good.

Amazon prime require you to pay 100 bucks up front doesn't it? Got to factor in the 100 bucks and how many games do you have to preorder until you actually start getting real discount.

Ah gotcha, I was looking at it from the viewpoint of someone who already has Prime (plus it's Student, so 50% off).

So if you don't have Prime then BestBuy is the better deal, but if you do have Prime then go with Amazon.

I have some pre-orders that were announced after E3 such as Rise of the Tomb Raider that I should probably start switching over.

kennah

What's the best brand of cheese for making the best poutine?

tumblr_lqdy7lkFTs1qhf0zh.jpg
This so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jesus, the cynicism. You expect 20% off all the time for free plus day and date delivery? Why?
How much is Two-Day shipping? $4?

That's about $20 a game at $79.99. More if you order an LE like Persona. At four games Prime pays for itself and with Two-Day shipping you will usually get your game on release date if not a day later.

That's damn good. If you're ordering four games or more at $79.99 a game before discount, it's worth it.
Well, it might be worth it if BestBuy doesn't respond and E3 deals are dead. You basically have to order 5 games to break even, and then you start "profiting" after.
I suppose the other thing is that everyone is raising their free shipping threshold, so there's that.

I don't care about release date delivery though, so my criticism is and has always been that Amazon Prime is shit in Canada compared to the US/Europe. No music streaming, no free Kindle books, no Prime video (instead they sold all their shows to Rogers or Bell or whatever). I think AMERICAN Prime is a great value, even without the student discount. Canadian Prime? Not so much.

Kyolux

What's the consensus on Rise of the Tomb Raider? I just pre-ordered it given the 20% off for PS4. But not sure if I should keep it.

Looking forward to the VR stuff that comes with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's the consensus on Rise of the Tomb Raider? I just pre-ordered it given the 20% off for PS4. But not sure if I should keep it.

Controversy alert: It's more fun to play than Uncharted 4 at least.

Great game but I doubt that the VR stuff will be the reason to get it... still worth getting it and just try the VR stuff anyway since you'll already have a PSVR.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

RotTR is far superior to UC4.

NaughtyDog should just get in The movie business if they have no interest in making video games.

eyesradar

Woolly World is now sold with a Yarn Yoshi amiibo for $40 (down from $70 for a comparable bundle before). If there's a loose copy it might be less.

I haven't seen Pokken on sale anywhere since launch.

Thanks! Grabbing an used copy from one of the EBs nearby.

Dazzler

I finished it just this week. Loved every minute of it. The extra exploration (vs the first game) was much welcome and the length of the game felt just right, didn't outstay its welcome

Graphically it was gorgeous too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom