• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVCY201

Amazon never fails to amuse! Guess it's the luck of the draw this time, maybe you get, maybe you don't. I hope I get it, I barely complain to them about shipping

Vinc

I'm going to laugh if everyone who gets the Prime discount on their E3 orders gets it at the cost of losing the E3 discount.

That would be terrible, I have some E3 orders with a 30% discount still! That'd be punishment for signing up for Prime, lol.

I still kept the transcript with the CSRs telling me the 20% doesn't erase previous discounts, and I have screenshots of my current discounts, so hopefully I'm in the clear. Sigh.

That would be terrible, I have some E3 orders with a 30% discount still! That'd be punishment for signing up for Prime, lol.

I still kept the transcript with the CSRs telling me the 20% doesn't erase previous discounts, and I have screenshots of my current discounts, so hopefully I'm in the clear. Sigh.

It may work for you(and I hope so) but that doesn't mean that this is the actual policy.

It's so awful how unclear this is. 2 CSRs from Amazon saying it SHOULD mean it's the actual policy. It shouldn't be that unclear.

This is exactly what I was complaining about before. We now have a culture surrounding Amazon orders that encourages people to call/email/chat with Amazon CSRs trying to get a deal that may or may not be policy because sometimes the CSRs let it through and sometimes they don't, which means you're basically forced to haggle for extra discounts on Amazon, which leads to Amazon deciding it's not worth doing discounts and drastically scaling them back and/or sneaking in policy changes, which then leads to even more confusion about what is actually a deal and what is a mistake, which leads to more people contacting CSRs until they get the answer they want.

Vinc

This is exactly what I was complaining about before. We now have a culture surrounding Amazon orders that encourages people to call/email/chat with Amazon CSRs trying to get a deal that may or may not be policy because sometimes the CSRs let it through and sometimes they don't, which means you're basically forced to haggle for extra discounts on Amazon, which leads to Amazon deciding it's not worth doing discounts and drastically scaling them back and/or sneaking in policy changes, which then leads to even more confusion about what is actually a deal and what is a mistake, which leads to more people contacting CSRs until they get the answer they want.

Yeah, I just wish things were clear as day. Hell, even my E3 preorders from this year still have a wrong discount, which they assured me months ago will be fixed for each individual game as they ship. Argh...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I just clarified with another Amazon rep regarding the 20% off older pre orders, and this is what they told me.

"I've checked your order details. I see you have started your prime on September 30, 2016. Any preorder item which is releasing after September 30, 2016 is qualified for 20% off.
You will be able to see this 20% off applying on your order at the time of shipment."

Vinc

The actual policy is that it doesn't stack with other discounts.

Like... It's on the site.

Where on the site exactly? I'm looking at the terms and conditions, and it doesn't mention the multiple discounts thing. Both CSRs told me the policy, and said discounts don't stack at the time of ordering. If you ordered before this promotion became active, those previous discounts can stack because they are already acquired. I don't see anything on the site disputing that. They even copied their internal memo / policy which DID say discounts don't stack, and when I pointed it out they both said it was just going forward.

diaspora

Where on the site exactly? I'm looking at the terms and conditions, and it doesn't mention the multiple discounts thing. Both CSRs told me the policy, and said discounts don't stack at the time of ordering. If you ordered before this promotion became active, those previous discounts can stack because they are already acquired. I don't see anything on the site disputing that. They even copied their internal memo / policy which DID say discounts don't stack, and when I pointed it out they both said it was just going forward.

5. The game is already discounted, do I still get 20% off at checkout?

Yes, Prime members get at least 20% off list price on new physical video games during pre-order and two weeks after launch. If the game is discounted less than 20%, Prime members get the full 20% off at checkout. If the game is already discounted more than 20%, Prime customers get the lower price.

FYI for the new prime 20% discount, it only applies to full price titles, so I don't see how these discount could stack.

Code:
The 20% discount applies to an items List Price and does not apply to an items already discounted price.

But with everything Amazon when a CSR is involved, YMMV.

I would maybe see a 79.99$ get reduced to 63.99$ and then if you had the 2015 Cyber Monday or 2015 E3 discount applied (30%) you would get that on top of it, since that discount applies to the lowest price the item was ever available (Ex: Xenoblade Chronicles X at the price error 19.71$ -30%).

But the 2016 E3 discount goes away as soon as the game's price is lowered past the discount value (Ex: 49.99$ games that were lowered to 39.99$ do not have a -20%/10$ discount anymore). So if a CSR changes the price of the item to match the prime price, the E3 2016 discount goes away. Nothing is preventing you from contacting a CSR when the game ships and be like "where is my 20% E3 discount?"

Luigi87

Exactly as diaspora quoted their FAQ, they have it worded very carefully. Essentially to ensure that discounts do not stack, and that Prime members are entitled to 20% off pre-orders/newly released (within two weeks) regardless or greater only if the discount is greater than 20% off on its own (IE: the 30% off deal)

diaspora

Here.

2. Do I get 20% off if I already pre-ordered the game?

Yes, the offer will be extended to all existing Prime member pre-orders. The discount will be reflected in your order details within 5 business days and at the time of shipment.

5. The game is already discounted, do I still get 20% off at checkout?

Yes, Prime members get at least 20% off list price on new physical video games during pre-order and two weeks after launch. If the game is discounted less than 20%, Prime members get the full 20% off at checkout. If the game is already discounted more than 20%, Prime customers get the lower price.

frequency

Is it that time again? Talking about taking advantage of Amazon CSRs. I blame that nonsense for why this years E3 math got all broken in the first place.

Luigi87

Is it that time again? Talking about taking advantage of Amazon CSRs. I blame that nonsense for why this years E3 math got all broken in the first place.

Well I think some of us are trying to directly state why people shouldn't be trying to take advantage of CSRs. Aside from making their jobs a headache, the way Prime discounts work is clearly laid out in their FAQ.

DVCY201

We should make a spreadsheet for whose turn it is to contact CSR, that way everyone gets a chance at random discounts, haha

imBask

Banned
I just talked to amazon to get my free 2 day shipping with Prime on stuff I already pre-ordered, the lady took care of it in an instant and was very nice

FUCKING AMAZON amirite

farisr

I just talked to amazon to get my free 2 day shipping with Prime on stuff I already pre-ordered, the lady took care of it in an instant and was very nice

FUCKING AMAZON amirite
Yeah I had no issues either getting them to change to prime shipping for all my existing preorders.

DJ_Lae

Gears 4 is somehow out for delivery already - I thought it released next week?

I didn't get any extra stacking discounts with Prime, but I'm happy enough with getting 20% knocked of my Persona 5 CE.

I'm also pretty stoked about finally having decent internet here in Edmonton, too. Took the guy a few hours but I'm happy with the result.

MjUPYHB.png

FrsDvl

I'm also pretty stoked about finally having decent internet here in Edmonton, too. Took the guy a few hours but I'm happy with the result.

MjUPYHB.png

Awe man, I wish Telus fibre would be available in my area :( I'm on 100mbits, which they don't even offer anymore, and it costs more than the 150 fibre.

Welp, I sold the second white Xbox One S controller I bought today. I guess that will allow me to feel better about keeping both Gears controllers and having five in total. I sold it for $60, which is what I paid (plus tax which I ate.)

I didn't get any extra stacking discounts with Prime, but I'm happy enough with getting 20% knocked of my Persona 5 CE.

MjUPYHB.png

Awe man, I wish Telus fibre would be available in my area :( I'm on 100mbits, which they don't even offer anymore, and it costs more than the 150 fibre.

I hate you guys.

Not really, but my 5-6mb/s makes me super depressed.

I have thousands upon thousands of Shoppers Optimum points and I was hoping to use them to buy Wii U and 3DS games. Do any Shoppers Drug Mart locations in Toronto still carry games? I tried four different stores yesterday and most had nothing and one had a few 3DS consoles and old xbox360 games. I was hoping there is one store out there that still had a game section? I just want pretty mainstream stuff like the Wii U Mario games.
Anyone know? Thanks!

SickBoy

Man, Amazon has R6: Siege marked down to $25. I really want to play that game, but I really feel like I missed the boat on it and I'll just feel like a speed bump. I should have tried it during that free weekend on XB1 (or was it PS4?) recently.

Also, Far Cry Primal is down to $30... I got it for $40 during Prime Day(?) and generally quite liked it.

Regarding Gears, I think they shipped them a bit early, maybe because of the holiday. Canada Post says my copy is due to arrive tomorrow (officially it's out next Tuesday). I am OK with this.

chaosaeon

Two questions, is amazon giving 20% off all preorders to ONLY people with prime or just in general ?
And has anyone had an experience returning an opened game to them ? I know at EB they'll laugh you right out of the store if you opened it and then decided you wanted to return it.

FrsDvl

Also, Far Cry Primal is down to $30... I got it for $40 during Prime Day(?) and generally quite liked it.

Saw it on clearance at shoppers the other day for $12, SW battlefront for $9. My shoppers usually doesnt even carry games, so not sure where they got them from.

zroid

Banned
I have thousands upon thousands of Shoppers Optimum points and I was hoping to use them to buy Wii U and 3DS games. Do any Shoppers Drug Mart locations in Toronto still carry games? I tried four different stores yesterday and most had nothing and one had a few 3DS consoles and old xbox360 games. I was hoping there is one store out there that still had a game section? I just want pretty mainstream stuff like the Wii U Mario games.
Anyone know? Thanks!

Not sure about Toronto proper but in Markham most of the Shoppers stores still carry games, certainly Mario games I think would be available.

kevin1025

Banned
Man, Amazon has R6: Siege marked down to $25. I really want to play that game, but I really feel like I missed the boat on it and I'll just feel like a speed bump. I should have tried it during that free weekend on XB1 (or was it PS4?) recently.

Regarding Gears, I think they shipped them a bit early, maybe because of the holiday. Canada Post says my copy is due to arrive tomorrow (officially it's out next Tuesday). I am OK with this.

It seems like Siege has a really great community still. It seems like the kind of game that you miss the boat on, but with the way matches work, you'll have the time to learn the ropes, or go through Terrorist Hunt missions to help hone your skills! I recommend the game big time, it's one of the best multiplayer shooters out there.

antibolo

Banned
Are there any known stores so far that will do midnight launches for the PSVR in Canada (more specifically in Montréal)? As I don't have a pre-order I assume that would be my best chance to grab one, assuming that will be a thing.

Fularu

Banned
Are there any known stores so far that will do midnight launches for the PSVR in Canada (more specifically in Montréal)? As I don't have a pre-order I assume that would be my best chance to grab one, assuming that will be a thing.

AFAIK midnight launches aren't legal in Québec, That's why Eb and BB don't do them but will have them for the rest of Canada

chrono01

I really need to decide whether to keep my Paper Mario Color Splash pre-order or not. It's released in a few days, and I'm not sure if it's worth the $74.99 (+ E3 discount) cost. It looks fun enough, and the reviews have generally been nice. However, it's a lot to pay for a game that's not a Limited/Collector's Edition. But then, Nintendo games rarely drop in-price...

DJ_Lae

I hate you guys.

Not really, but my 5-6mb/s makes me super depressed.

We've been bounced around from varying speeds, having 50mbps at the peak. However, the TV kept cutting out and the only solution was to drop down to 25mbps...which rarely if ever got that high. And though I could implement QoS on my router to give me priority, I'd feel like an ass doing that to my kids.

I'm hoping that everything is smooth now when the kids are each watching Youtube, my wife is doing god knows what, and I'm both playing something online and downloading via Steam. Only issue will be the cap, as I ditched my unlimited as I figured that 1TB might be enough. We've only broken it a few times before, but it's probably going to be really easy now with the speed so much higher.

I'm okay with it too. Amazon is inconsistent sometimes - Ash vs the Evil Dead went out way past the release date and my blu ray of The Iron Giant is in limbo at the moment. I guess both of those were US imports, but still.

I really need to decide whether to keep my Paper Mario Color Splash pre-order or not. It's released in a few days, and I'm not sure if it's worth the $74.99 (+ E3 discount) cost. It looks fun enough, and the reviews have generally been nice. However, it's a lot to pay for a game that's not a Limited/Collector's Edition. But then, Nintendo games rarely drop in-price...

Do you have anything else in the timeframe you're interested in?

I'm in a similar boat at the moment but I'm thinking the Gunvolt 2-pack and maybe Shantae Half-Genie Hero will be more economical purchases at the time.

The tricky thing about Colour Splash is that IIRC it's the final first-party Wii U game (before Breath of the Wild) which might make it a collectors' item in the future, but at the same time it'll probably be available more cheaply during retailers' inevitable clearance of Wii U stock. That's going to be the best shot to get Wii U games for cheap pretty much ever.

chrono01

Do you have anything else in the timeframe you're interested in?

I'm in a similar boat at the moment but I'm thinking the Gunvolt 2-pack and maybe Shantae Half-Genie Hero will be more economical purchases at the time.

The tricky thing about Colour Splash is that IIRC it's the final first-party Wii U game (before Breath of the Wild) which might make it a collectors' item in the future, but at the same time it'll probably be available more cheaply during retailers' inevitable clearance of Wii U stock. That's going to be the best shot to get Wii U games for cheap pretty much ever.
I have both Yo-kai Watch 2 shipping soon (according to Amazon), so I won't be starved for game content for the month. I just don't want to cancel my pre-order, later decide to get it, and then have to pay full MSRP due to no E3 discount. :/

Eh, I'll probably grab it anyway. I'm financially irresponsible like that. :p

killroy87

Yup, I'm on the Telus 100 MB too her ein Vancouver, and was none too pleased to see that it costs more than the Fibre (that I can't yet get)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom