• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
My hope is simply that the Japanese 3rd parties which have always supported Nintendo handhelds will continue to support Switch. Outside of Nintendo games that's probably what I spend the bulk of my time playing. If it can win over the Japanese PSVita developers as well, that'd be even better.

I'd only get Switch if the battery life is good, it doesn't weigh a lot, I could figure out a way to carry it with me without using a backpack, and has more than just Nintendo exclusives

Or if it's a really good value

Oh oh oh, have people started complaining that it won't play DVD/Blu-Rays? :p

Tapejara

Oh oh oh, have people started complaining that it won't play DVD/Blu-Rays? :p

I doubt that would be a problem for most, as historically Nintendo hardware has never been able to play CDs, DVDs, BRs, etc. I'm one of the people pissed about the PS4 Pro not supporting UHD Blu-ray playback, but with the Switch I don't really care because I wasn't expecting Nintendo to support it anyway.

Anony

lol at anyone expecting this to be under 400 cad
this is nintendo we're talking about, they're the apple of gaming, expect to pay the nintendo tax
if we're lucky this will be 350 usd, or more likely 400 usd

Luigi87

Got the Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitor today.

144hz...
tumblr_mponrs3lZY1ryyd2so1_400.gif

ohlawd

My hope is simply that the Japanese 3rd parties which have always supported Nintendo handhelds will continue to support Switch. Outside of Nintendo games that's probably what I spend the bulk of my time playing. If it can win over the Japanese PSVita developers as well, that'd be even better.

that's my hope too. I'm already happy if it had the same support as 3DS with niche ass JRPGs. and that's the bare minimum it's gonna have anyway so yeah I'm easy to please in this regard lol

Yasumi

Banned
Going to have to see a lot of solid Japanese 3rd party support before I'll even consider the Switch, considering what our price will probably be.

Qwyjibo

I hope they make a bigger sized Nintendo Switch. That controller that pops out looks mighty tiny.

I'd actually prefer a smaller version without the gimmicky detachable controllers. A Switch "Lite" dedicated portable (yeah, I know it won't happen). I have doubts about the convenience of the portability of the system as is.

bryt

Did you not notice the other controller? It resembles a pro controller.

Yeah but they're advertising it as something you can spontaneously just bring out and play with a group of people. I don't want to carry a bunch of Pro controllers around. I dunno those pop out controllers just look like hand cramps waiting to happen.

I'd actually prefer a smaller version without the gimmicky detachable controllers. A Switch "Lite" dedicated portable (yeah, I know it won't happen). I have doubts about the convenience of the portability of the system as is.

That would be cool. Just a good ol' handheld without any gimmicks.

Lothars

this is nintendo we're talking about, they're the apple of gaming, expect to pay the nintendo tax
It will be dead on arrival if it's anything more than 299 US.

antibolo

Banned

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Firestorm

I think I'm at the point where I'd pay $400 CAD + tax for the Switch just to play Zelda. 2011 for Skyward Sword was a long time ago.
Can anyone recommend the best bang for your buck on these headphones? Mine are basically disintegrating, seems like a good time to get a new set...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/Search...ca&fullsite=true&CMP=SMO_TW_ENG_161020_GAMING

Eh if they're still working and you think they'll work for another month, last year saw some good deals for Black Friday and again for Boxing Day.

Sajjaja

So my Galaxy S4 had died. Anyone got recommendatons for a good phone that works on Wind? Thinking about the OnePlus 3 but if I order it it wouldn't get here till mid November.

Robert807

Come on guys this is nintendo. The company that never has sales. The Mario kart bundle is still 329$. Their games never go on sale. But for some reason they get a pass because it's Nintendo quality. This system going to be 450 Canadian. Maybe if we are lucky 400 $. But don't forget about that 70 pro controller you will have to buy.

Lexxism

So my Galaxy S4 had died. Anyone got recommendatons for a good phone that works on Wind? Thinking about the OnePlus 3 but if I order it it wouldn't get here till mid November.
Are you on BYOP plan? Can you just renew your contract and get an android phone directly at Wind? Or is that not an option? They have Nexus 6P, LG G5. Nexus 5x. etc

I'm surprised there has been no BF1 shipping talk.
I'm pretty sure the site went down earlier when Switch news dropped? I actually came here to see if anyone has yet tried to preorder a Switch through Amazon Prime for that sweet sweet 20%off yet. Since its a console not a game per se I doubt the promo will apply but maybe they goofed something when rushing to put it up for preoder.

Sajjaja

Are you on BYOP plan? Can you just renew your contract and get an android phone directly at Wind? Or is that not an option? They have Nexus 6P, LG G5. Nexus 5x. etc

Totally an option, just looking for suggestions. Is it worth getting one of the top tier phones? Any suggestions for mid tier phones? I really just use it for web browsing, texting and music. Occasional gaming like Hearthstone and Hitman GO.

Lexxism

Totally an option, just looking for suggestions. Is it worth getting one of the top tier phones? Any suggestions for mid tier phones? I really just use it for web browsing, texting and music. Occasional gaming like Hearthstone and Hitman GO.
Depends on how you much you will have to pay to get those high end phones. There's a good and cheap phone like LG G4. It also has a removable battery and expandable storage. Probably enough to play those games your mentioned. Try checking it if it fits your needs.

krae_man

I have the Moto X play and I love it.

The Moto G Plus is basically the same phone. It's got a slight CPU bump and is thinner. Otherwise they are the same.

Depends on how you much you will have to pay to get those high end phones. There's a good and cheap phone like LG G4. It also has a removable battery and expandable storage. Probably enough to play those games your mentioned. Try checking it if it fits your needs.

Considering how old that phone is, it might be hard to find inventory. Especially inventory that hasn't been returned.

I picked one up for Gears 4, but purchased mine the week prior to the game dropping. That Halo 5/MCC 500gb S bundle was $349 CAD at that time at all retailers.

I don't know what caused the $30 price bump the following week but $379 is the cost now for that particular bundle or for any 500gb bundle. The 1tb bundles right now are all $449. At the time I made my purchase, EB had a promo of Fallout 4 being included with console purchase, Bestbuy had $15 off an additional controller with console purchase and Microsoft's stores/website included your choice of a game (ie. Watchdogs, Just Dance...), as well as the $15 controller discount.

I feel at best you might see an extra game bundled in, with the 1tb console drop to like $429, maybe... and perhaps the 500gb console drop back down to $349. Which by all means may not be much of a discount at all especially considering what games you might be after and what unknown extra game gets bundled in, if that. Exclusive wise for example, Sunset Overdrive is $10 right now at The Source, Quantum Break is $49 at EB/Best Buy.

Like every year, I'm expecting bundles. From Microsoft Store itself, I can see an Xbox One S Halo: Collection 1TB for $399.99 ($50 off) w/ an extra newer $80 game (Battlefield 1, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3) and a digital code for another an older first party title like Quantum Break, Gears Ultimate etc

Here is what Amazon.ca offered last year: https://twitter.com/GameDealsCanada/status/670153869108895744

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. If the 500GB Halo bundle was already down to $350 recently, I can't imagine it won't get down to $350 again for Black Friday.

I do think there will be quite a few game bundle options. For Christmas, I plan to buy a 500GB One S, Halo: MCC, Halo 5, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and Dead Rising 3 (I'll get 4 next year). So bundling any of those games is essentially reducing the cost of the console by the Black Friday price of that bundled game (from my perspective).

The following seems quite realistic (and awesome) to me for a $350 One S bundle:
- Halo 5 & Halo: MCC OR Gears 4
- Digital download of Forza Horizon 3 OR recent third party game (such as BF1)
- 1 older game such as Quantum Break OR Sunset Overdrive
- 3 months of Xbox Live

leeman

I think I'm at the point where I'd pay $400 CAD + tax for the Switch just to play Zelda. 2011 for Skyward Sword was a long time ago.

Eh if they're still working and you think they'll work for another month, last year saw some good deals for Black Friday and again for Boxing Day.

Not a bad idea, they'll hold. If there are better sales coming in the next couple months, I can hold off, thanks :)

leeman

Do you need something with a built in mic? If not then get a normal headphone instead of a instead. Much better audio quality for the price.

That's a really good point. I don't really need the mic at all. Sounds like best bet might be to get a non-mic set of headphones on Black Friday / Boxing day :)

Sajjaja

Don't get the g4 and to some extent the g5. The boot loop issue is very bad.

Yeah I haven't heard great things about the LG phones. The Moto G Plus has my interest since krae_man suggested it, but now I'm curious if I should just go big or go home lol. Was tempted to get the Pixel but if I read the frequencies support correctly, it wouldn't work with Wind.

N E R O

Hey Guys, is there a legit way to transfer best buy orders between accounts ? for some reason I had 2 orders went into the guest account after paying with paypal " one was yesterday and the other one is today" although I was logged into my original account.

i don't want to lose the rewards zone points. I have called BB customer service and the rep said that he doesn't know and he's gonaa look for help, after waiting for 5 minutes. he said there is no way -_-

I have tried using the "Get Missing Points " tool from RW page, but it keeps rejecting my Transaction.

RS4-

Yeah I haven't heard great things about the LG phones. The Moto G Plus has my interest since krae_man suggested it, but now I'm curious if I should just go big or go home lol. Was tempted to get the Pixel but if I read the frequencies support correctly, it wouldn't work with Wind.

Just get the Moto G Plus, it's well priced. You don't have to worry about issues if you buy a One Plus and something happens with it lol.

Firestorm

That's a really good point. I don't really need the mic at all. Sounds like best bet might be to get a non-mic set of headphones on Black Friday / Boxing day :)

Yeah leading into Black Friday just post what you're gonna be using them for and people can help pick something nice out on sale. I might grab something myself... Overwatch's attention to audio made me want something nicer.

RS4-

What's this about the boot loop issue? I just got a g4 Today over the X Play. :/

The motherboard fucks up so you end up in a boot loop that you can't fix. Have to send it to LG.

Not 100% sure if the Rogers,etc whoever you got it from do replacements if it happens.

Did anyone who got the 10% off wearables applied to PSVR have the actual discount refunded to their credit card? They seem to have emailed me a $20 Gift Card instead. 'The hell? :(

XBP

Yeah, that would be a better choice. The HD598s always go on sale during black friday and they're one the best headphones you can get for around 100$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom