• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

Not super familiar with Amazon.ca for game releases... Am I going to get FFXV on release date, or will I be going out to buy a copy from Best Buy for the weekend and then returning the Amazon copy to BB when I get it?

Not super familiar with Amazon.ca for game releases... Am I going to get FFXV on release date, or will I be going out to buy a copy from Best Buy for the weekend and then returning the Amazon copy to BB when I get it?

More than likely heading to Best Buy in that scenario.

khaaan

Aww yiss, is it time for another ethics argument?

#TeamDon'tRewardAmazonButIOrderedFromBestBuyWhenTheDollarWasFine

If I can get $200 for trading in my current PS4 towards a PS4K I think I would bite, assuming it's at the low theoretical low end of $550 CAD/$399 USD.

Aww yiss, is it time for another ethics argument?

#TeamDon'tRewardAmazonButIOrderedFromBestBuyWhenTheDollarWasFine

If I can get $200 for trading in my current PS4 towards a PS4K I think I would bite, assuming it's at the low theoretical low end of $550 CAD/$399 USD.

Sony might push a price drop for the standard PS4 to bundle with PSVR before the PS4K is out/announced.

BTails

Man, don't shipping companies just piss you right off 90% of the time! (Incoming rant)

So my Analogue NT was supposed to be delivered today. The only International shipping option from Analogue was DHL Express International, which is a next business-day service. VERY expensive, I think it cost $70-75 USD, but I was pretty excited because I've been waiting for my Analogue to show up for a long time now.

The status is "Out for Delivery" all morning, with it being delivered to my office downtown as I know it'll need a signature. Then I check around 1:30pm, and all of the sudden "More Address Information needed". So I call the customer service line, and confirm with the CSR that they have: My name, my business name, and the office full address, including unit number.

In that case, why wasn't it delivered? No clue, but they tell me it's going to attempting again tomorrow. NOT GOOD ENOUGH, considering the price of the shipping. I'm told that there's no way to contact the driver to have it delivered today. So I ask for a refund on shipping, because I'm not paying for 2-day service. Then...

...I'm referred up to a manager, who talks me through my address. Yes, everything is correct. Yes, it's easy to find my office if you go to the correct floor. Yes, my name is on the call list outside my office, I can be buzzed directly. So he says he'll look into it.

He calls me back 30 minutes later, saying he's spoken to the driver (I thought you couldn't contact him?), who is back on route to my office to deliver the package. Stay tuned...

Man, don't shipping companies just piss you right off 90% of the time! (Incoming rant)

So my Analogue NT was supposed to be delivered today. The only International shipping option from Analogue was DHL Express International, which is a next business-day service. VERY expensive, I think it cost $70-75 USD, but I was pretty excited because I've been waiting for my Analogue to show up for a long time now.

The status is "Out for Delivery" all morning, with it being delivered to my office downtown as I know it'll need a signature. Then I check around 1:30pm, and all of the sudden "More Address Information needed". So I call the customer service line, and confirm with the CSR that they have: My name, my business name, and the office full address, including unit number.

In that case, why wasn't it delivered? No clue, but they tell me it's going to attempting again tomorrow. NOT GOOD ENOUGH, considering the price of the shipping. I'm told that there's no way to contact the driver to have it delivered today. So I ask for a refund on shipping, because I'm not paying for 2-day service. Then...

...I'm referred up to a manager, who talks me through my address. Yes, everything is correct. Yes, it's easy to find my office if you go to the correct floor. Yes, my name is on the call list outside my office, I can be buzzed directly. So he says he'll look into it.

He calls me back 30 minutes later, saying he's spoken to the driver (I thought you couldn't contact him?), who is back on route to my office to deliver the package. Stay tuned...

The standard procedure is to tell the customer they can't contact the driver, but the manager can overwrite that.

Hope you don't have to pay customs on top of that 75$ shipping though...DHL...

BTails

The standard procedure is to tell the customer they can't contact the driver, but the manager can overwrite that.

Hope you don't have to pay customs on top of that 75$ shipping though...DHL...

Already paid the customs... $61 bucks. It sucks, but the Analogue NT came to $575 USD (not including shipping), so it doesn't surprise me.

The manager said the driver told him he came to my floor in the office building I work in, but couldn't figure out where to go. This is a blatant lie because once your literally turn your head after stepping off the elevator, there's a giant glowing sign with my company's logo within view.

khaaan

Sony might push a price drop for the standard PS4 to bundle with PSVR before the PS4K is out/announced.

Yeah, I'm expecting that to happen but right now assuming dollar stability the prices are
  • PS4 is around $400-$500 depending on the bundle.
  • PS4K looks like $550 ($399 USD) or possibly even $650 ($499 USD)
  • PSVR is $550 or $699

Personally I don't see (or maybe it's just me hoping) the MSRP of PS4 dropping below $300. I think in the most extreme scenario it would drop down to $250. If it ends up costing $300 then I think there's a chance one could use trade in promotions to try and knock off around $200 from a PS4K. I'm sure there will also be plenty of people who can't justify the VR price point but still want a PS4 so I'm still a little hopeful...though at $650 CAD I still might not consider getting a PS4K even with discounts.

I've actually had this experience before though it never went that far because I didn't pay for higher tier of shipping. I've *heard* (so grain of salt) that with expensive individual/personal items they don't want to risk being held responsible so they send it to the closest pick up center and make you go get it.

F4r0_Atak

Yeah, I'm expecting that to happen but right now assuming dollar stability the prices are
  • PS4 is around $400-$500 depending on the bundle.
  • PS4K looks like $550 ($399 USD) or possibly even $650 ($499 USD)
  • PSVR is $550 or $699

Personally I don't see (or maybe it's just me hoping) the MSRP of PS4 dropping below $300.

I really hope the PS4K (or whatever could be the name) will be have a similar MSRP to the original PS4's here in Canada. It was nice to have it at 449$ CAD (in 2014?) when US had it at 399$... :/

theRizzle

Already paid the customs... $61 bucks. It sucks, but the Analogue NT came to $575 USD (not including shipping), so it doesn't surprise me.

The manager said the driver told him he came to my floor in the office building I work in, but couldn't figure out where to go. This is a blatant lie because once your literally turn your head after stepping off the elevator, there's a giant glowing sign with my company's logo within view.

If it were me, I'd record a video of me riding the elevator and send it to the manager so he can see it for himself. I've done this with couriers in the past and it's been pretty effective with having subsequent packages actually delivered like they're supposed to be.

I really hope the PS4K (or whatever could be the name) will be have a similar MSRP to the original PS4's here in Canada. It was nice to have it at 449$ CAD (in 2014?) when US had it at 399$... :/

It was a lot better when it was 399 in both places. I think a lot of people have already forgotten the price of the PS4 was raised $50 in Canada.

Wedge7

Just lost control of my PSN account last night. Woke up this morning to a bunch of emails stating that they first changed the password, then bought a bunch of crap on my account, and then changed the sign in email.

Dont know how they managed to find the password as I've never shared my account ever, but you never know with stuff these days. I also learned my lesson a few years ago to not use the same password on all different sites, so I'm glad that I wasnt that stupid lol. I saw enough people all the time who seem to get their PSN/Xbox live accounts compromised that I never left any CC details on it, too paranoid, and always just used giftcards, so they didnt do as much damage as they could have. Heh, good thing that the PSN wallet only allows you to hold $150, or it could have been potentially worse.

Basically it was a good wakeup call to use those password manager things more diligently, and also apply 2 FA to all my important shit, though I was annoyed to find that I couldnt apply it to the PSN account at all.

They bought a bunch of Nba 2k16 points or something, I'm not too sure what they use it for though. I'm assuming they transfer it over to another account or something, as I dont have Nba2k16 on my account nor have I ever played it.

Called Sony this morning, gave some details, and they gave me back the account, in terms of resetting the old email log in details, though I didnt get my money back yet. Think they mentioned it would be under review or something, hopefully it all gets credited back in a few days. Though truth be told, I'm more than happy to just get the account back, as it has a ton of games and years of PS plus remaining.

Heh, dunno why I even posted this, maybe just a reminder to always use 2FA and different passwords I guess. First time in all my years that I've ever had an account compromised. Ran Malwarebytes but it didnt find anything, but it was worth checking.

Just lost control of my PSN account last night. Woke up this morning to a bunch of emails stating that they first changed the password, then bought a bunch of crap on my account, and then changed the sign in email.

Dont know how they managed to find the password as I've never shared my account ever, but you never know with stuff these days. I also learned my lesson a few years ago to not use the same password on all different sites, so I'm glad that I wasnt that stupid lol. I saw enough people all the time who seem to get their PSN/Xbox live accounts compromised that I never left any CC details on it, too paranoid, and always just used giftcards, so they didnt do as much damage as they could have. Heh, good thing that the PSN wallet only allows you to hold $150, or it could have been potentially worse.

Basically it was a good wakeup call to use those password manager things more diligently, and also apply 2 FA to all my important shit, though I was annoyed to find that I couldnt apply it to the PSN account at all.

They bought a bunch of Nba 2k16 points or something, I'm not too sure what they use it for though. I'm assuming they transfer it over to another account or something, as I dont have Nba2k16 on my account nor have I ever played it.

Called Sony this morning, gave some details, and they gave me back the account, in terms of resetting the old email log in details, though I didnt get my money back yet. Think they mentioned it would be under review or something, hopefully it all gets credited back in a few days. Though truth be told, I'm more than happy to just get the account back, as it has a ton of games and years of PS plus remaining.

Heh, dunno why I even posted this, maybe just a reminder to always use 2FA and different passwords I guess. First time in all my years that I've ever had an account compromised. Ran Malwarebytes but it didnt find anything, but it was worth checking.

Stuff like this is always a good reminder to be vigilante about changing your passwords and keeping different passwords on different sites.

ohlawd

oh yeah am I crazy or does Amazon and all these retailer places not have 2 step? hell, BMO doesn't have it either. the fuck

khaaan

That's unfortonate to hear but at least serves as a reminder to me to update my passwords. My only complaint about password managing programs is that if I'm not on my home machine it can be a bit of a hassle to access anything that's not my email which is the only password I have memorized.

That's unfortonate to hear but at least serves as a reminder to me to update my passwords. My only complaint about password managing programs is that if I'm not on my home machine it can be a bit of a hassle to access anything that's not my email which is the only password I have memorized.

Many password managers have phone apps as well. I use Keepass, which is an open-source platform with no corporate backing, and even that has a robust Android apps that can pull my encrypted password database from Dropbox and auto-type passwords in some cases. Other services run by actual companies, like Lastpass and 1password, presumably do even better. (They probably have decent Mac clients, for example, which Keepass doesn't.)

khaaan

Many password managers have phone apps as well. I use Keepass, which is an open-source platform with no corporate backing, and even that has a robust Android apps that can pull my encrypted password database from Dropbox and auto-type passwords in some cases. Other services run by actual companies, like Lastpass and 1password, presumably do even better. (They probably have decent Mac clients, for example, which Keepass doesn't.)

Interesting, I actually use Keepass at home so I'll have to look into the android app.

F4r0_Atak

It was a lot better when it was 399 in both places. I think a lot of people have already forgotten the price of the PS4 was raised $50 in Canada.

It was also a time (2013) where the CAD was almost on par with the USD. Shit when down when the I**S started popping on the news. The Canadian Oil our dear Conservative party decided to extract so much didn't retain its value for long. Now in 2016, the current government is trying to fix up as much as they can the f-ups of the previous government's mismanagement of the economy.

Also, since I work at an EB Games store, I see those price changes (consoles, games, etc) every week or so. I felt relieved that I got it on launch before the price went up.

F4r0_Atak

Yeah, I guess it must've just been for a while before being slowly inched up to $50 now.

Yeah me too!! My pre-order for Ratchet and Clank went from 39.99 to 35.99 for unknown reasons a bit after I made the pre-order at E3. That's without counting the 30% discount of the E3 promo.

p.s. When I think about, Ratchet and Clank was not the only game to get such treatment. Had a bunch of games get their price reduced by 5-10$ each a while after the promo.

kevin1025

Banned
Yeah me too!! My pre-order for Ratchet and Clank went from 39.99 to 35.99 for unknown reasons a bit after I made the pre-order at E3. That's without counting the 30% discount of the E3 promo.

p.s. When I think about, Ratchet and Clank was not the only game to get such treatment. Had a bunch of games get their price reduced by 5-10$ each a while after the promo.

The best random drop (for those that didn't get the Xenoblade one) has been Deus Ex, $62.99 outta nowhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom