• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyolux

Man.. I think I may need a new controller. My thumb pads' cover are starting to slowly come off. I'm half-tempted to just rip the material off, would that be bad?

8.8 not enough pages

Yeah, even though it's Prima, it does fit in with the others except for the fact that it's smaller than any of the other Dark Souls/Bloodborne guides. (one of the few things I collect).

The important details are there, but it seems to be less in-depth than previous guides. I mostly just like having them though (and use the maps when I get too frustrated by an area).

Also, don't look at the last page if you don't want to see a huge spoiler.

Vinc

I'm just laughing at this point. That's all I can do.

Just contacted a CSR again, was told it would for sure ship today and that there will be no further delays as the carrier has been selected. (For really realz this time).

Then received an email saying there was a delay with my order and it's expected to ship tomorrow.

So my timeline is as follows:

- Game ordered in June with priority "guaranteed day one" delivery.

- CC charged on April 10th.

- "Shipping today" status on Amazon on April 10th.

- "Shipping now" status on morning of April 11th.

- CSR contacted on April 11th at night to ask why it hasn't shipped yet, told it was OOS but Ratchet would definitely ship by the end of the day so I would receive it on the 12th, DS3 would come on the 13th.

- CSR contacted on the 12th during the day to ask why it hadn't shipped yet, was told BOTH GAMES had shipped on the 11th, but the website wasn't updated yet. I would for sure receive it between 5 PM and 8 PM.

- CSR contacted at night on the 12th to say I hadn't received the package, and no shipping notification or tracking number. Was immediately told I was lied to and that it hadn't shipped yet, but would ship that night so I would receive it without fail today.

- Contacted CSR today, was told that was a mistake, and the package will ship by the end of the day with a tracking number, and I would receive it tomorrow with no further delays.

- Received email just now saying there was another delay, and the package will ship tomorrow and arrive on Friday.

lol.

Just contacted a CSR again, was told it would for sure ship today and that there will be no further delays as the carrier has been selected. (For really realz this time).

Then received an email saying there was a delay with my order and it's expected to ship tomorrow.

- CSR contacted on April 11th at night to ask why it hasn't shipped yet, told it was OOS but Ratchet would definitely ship by the end of the day so I would receive it on the 12th, DS3 would come on the 13th.

- CSR contacted on the 12th during the day to ask why it hadn't shipped yet, was told BOTH GAMES had shipped on the 11th, but the website wasn't updated yet. I would for sure receive it between 5 PM and 8 PM.

- CSR contacted at night on the 12th to say I hadn't received the package, and no shipping notification or tracking number. Was immediately told I was lied to and that it hadn't shipped yet, but would ship that night so I would receive it without fail today.

- Contacted CSR today, was told that was a mistake, and the package will ship by the end of the day with a tracking number, and I would receive it tomorrow with no further delays.

- Received email just now saying there was another delay, and the package will ship tomorrow and arrive on Friday.

lol.

At that point I would go grab it at Best Buy and return it when I get it from Amazon. Did you also order Bravely Second?

8.8 not enough pages

You joke, but that's actually true. Apparently there are missing chapters. The user reviews on amazon are eviscerating this guide :

"1. The pages are warped and thin, it seriously feels like they may fall out if the guide is opened to a page too many times.

2. There are markings on the sides of the pages indicating which chapter of the guide you are currently in. This also reveals that Prima apparently forgot to include three chapters??? There is no chapter 1, 2, or 10 to be found.

3. The maps have NO enemy locations. Zero. When Future Press was making the guides they had a really nice system for marking where weak and strong enemies appeared on their maps, but there is no such demarcation to be found on the Prima maps.

4. For each area there is a sort of "complete" map that shows the entire area's map. This map does have item locations on it. However, when breaking down the area section by section the "section" maps have no item locations, forcing you to return to multiple pages before where you are (a clear issue when the book already feels ready to fall apart).

5. The "complete" maps of each area have a bizarre and complex system of symbols used to show locations of various things in the area, but the symbols are small and look similar to one another."

"Would have been great if it had a table of contents, index and all the chapters. My copy starts on chapter 3 and ends in chapter 9 (missing chapters 1,2, and 10). Will be returning shortly."

"One of the worse guides I've bought.

-Right from the beginning the table of contents goes from page 42 to 224 with no breaks in between. None of the walk-through areas are labeled in the table of contents.

-It doesn't have an index...really, it doesn't. Know the name of an item you are trying to find and want to find it in the guide? Good luck searching for it without an index.

-No weapon/armor stats past level one. Want to know which weapons are best to level up to max level for your build? Well you won't find it in this guide."

Vinc

At that point I would go grab it at Best Buy and return it when I get it from Amazon. Did you also order Bravely Second?

Heh, I can't be bothered. I was planning to get Prime to be able to always get free priority shipping though... but I won't bother now, seeing how priority shipping actually is :p

I did order Bravely Second, but that was with free shipping, so it won't ship until the 22nd according to my order page.

killroy87

lol.

There is a lesson to be learned here; the CSRs don't actually know anything, and are only useful to hopefully get a credit when they don't ship on time.

I would spend less time arguing for them to ship sooner, and instead take the angle of "yo, you missed the guaranteed ship date I paid for, I'd like a credit to compensate". You'll probably make it farther by going that route.

Ryde3

Apparently the reviews for it haven't been great.

Hm... the Bloodborne guide took a LONG time to release and there were alot of complaints about wavy pages. Mine was fine, and the guide seemed pretty good.

Are you referring to amazon reviews or just consensus on the web? Anything you can direct me to?

Edit. Read the amazon reviews, cancelled. Didn't realize it wasn't Future Press. sigh.

Vinc

There is a lesson to be learned here; the CSRs don't actually know anything, and are only useful to hopefully get a credit when they don't ship on time.

I would spend less time arguing for them to ship sooner, and instead take the angle of "yo, you missed the guaranteed ship date I paid for, I'd like a credit to compensate". You'll probably make it farther by going that route.

They said they could offer me a $5 discount... which is less than I paid for priority shipping in the first place... so I told them that and they offered to refund the priority shipping instead. Still haven't gotten any refund for that though. I'm told to wait a few more days for that and recontact if I don't get anything. This is a total mess.

Anth0ny

the coolest thing about our weak ass dollar and lack of deals is that it's diminished my interest in video games to the point where I don't really care that amazon ships stuff so late

Heh, I can't be bothered. I was planning to get Prime to be able to always get free priority shipping though... but I won't bother now, seeing how priority shipping actually is :p

I did order Bravely Second, but that was with free shipping, so it won't ship until the 22nd according to my order page.

Yeah I was going to get prime ahead of the next big sale but hearing this experience makes me wonder why I would even bother.

killroy87

the coolest thing about our weak ass dollar and lack of deals is that it's diminished my interest in video games to the point where I don't really care that amazon ships stuff so late

A glass half full kind of guy, I like it!

In all seriousness though, Shipping talk is the 100% worst thing about this thread. No one here can do anything to help you, and asking whether anyone else has received their copy doesn't solve anything either. It just ends up being the same conversation over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...

Waiting a few extra days just doesn't matter, folks. It really doesn't, especially considering most of the time you're waiting on games you got at an incredible discount. If waiting a few days matters that much to you, then just go to a store and pick up a copy to tide you over until yours comes.

Sorry for the rant, haha. It's just really the worst.

Vinc

In all seriousness though, Shipping talk is the 100% worst thing about this thread. No one here can do anything to help you, and asking whether anyone else has received their copy doesn't solve anything either. It just ends up being the same conversation over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...

Waiting a few extra days just doesn't matter, folks. It really doesn't, especially considering most of the time you're waiting on games you got at an incredible discount. If waiting a few days matters that much to you, then just go to a store and pick up a copy to tide you over until yours comes.

It's good to compare our experiences to gage what to do when things go wrong, or when we should expect to receive our shipments. And also to warn others of bad experiences, etc. It's pretty useful to me.

killroy87

It's good to compare our experiences to gage what to do when things go wrong, or when we should expect to receive our shipments. And also to warn others of bad experiences, etc. It's pretty useful to me.

You're right in theory, but not in practice. No one here has any will power. We all know Amazon has shitty shipping policies (it's literally mentioned in the OP of this thread), but none of us are actually going to take a hard stance against them because they have the best E3 deal. So why even complain?

Kyolux

You joke, but that's actually true. Apparently there are missing chapters. The user reviews on amazon are eviscerating this guide :

"1. The pages are warped and thin, it seriously feels like they may fall out if the guide is opened to a page too many times.

2. There are markings on the sides of the pages indicating which chapter of the guide you are currently in. This also reveals that Prima apparently forgot to include three chapters??? There is no chapter 1, 2, or 10 to be found.

3. The maps have NO enemy locations. Zero. When Future Press was making the guides they had a really nice system for marking where weak and strong enemies appeared on their maps, but there is no such demarcation to be found on the Prima maps.

4. For each area there is a sort of "complete" map that shows the entire area's map. This map does have item locations on it. However, when breaking down the area section by section the "section" maps have no item locations, forcing you to return to multiple pages before where you are (a clear issue when the book already feels ready to fall apart).

5. The "complete" maps of each area have a bizarre and complex system of symbols used to show locations of various things in the area, but the symbols are small and look similar to one another."

1. Didn't seem to be the case for me. (My 5E d&d Player's handbook though was like this and is in a million pieces now)
2. I'll definitely check for this when I get home tonight. I have the collector's version, maybe they've cut stuff from the regular one? Kind of doubt that's it though. anyway, that's lame.
3. Was useful in the Forbidden woods for me in Bloodborne. Didn't actively noticed this when I looked at it. But ugh..
4. Not a problem for me personally. I only use the big map as reference, rarely the breakdowns.
5. Yeah, there was this jump I missed to grab an item and looked at the map to see if I had time before bed to go back around and grab it. The map had the icon of a soul at that spot. I guess this means it's just a soul item?

"One of the worse guides I've bought.

-Right from the beginning the table of contents goes from page 42 to 224 with no breaks in between. None of the walk-through areas are labeled in the table of contents.

-It doesn't have an index...really, it doesn't. Know the name of an item you are trying to find and want to find it in the guide? Good luck searching for it without an index.

-No weapon/armor stats past level one. Want to know which weapons are best to level up to max level for your build? Well you won't find it in this guide."

Far from the best I've bought too. But worse? I've bought the Final Fantasy IX guide back in the days, which most of the content was "look it up on the site we made to go with this guide". Also have the Saga Frontier guide, which even with that, I never managed to get through any of the characters' story (maybe except like one).

I think I know why they didn't include the sections walkthrough, related to what I said earlier about not looking at the last page. I'd spoiler tag it, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone that would check by curiosity.

The last two points are really the worse part imo. No index and no stats breakdown? Index was my most used section in the previous guides. And weapon stats are such a big part of the game.

Bleh. At least I didn't pay directly for it.

You're right in theory, but not in practice. No one here has any will power. We all know Amazon has shitty shipping policies (it's literally mentioned in the OP of this thread), but none of us are actually going to take a hard stance against them because they have the best E3 deal. So why even complain?

Still, it helps morale to at least be able to share our frustrations for these things.

BadWolf

Got an email this morning saying DS3 was shipped and would be arriving tomorrow (free shipping).

Just got a message from home saying it has been delivered :eek:

gonna assume that was sarcasm in that post haha

It's actually true. :p I only reloaded my SB card during promotions or discounted Groupons, and only went there if there was an opportunity to stack bonus stars. When I did redeem, it was for the sandwiches or salads.

Now that it'll be much harder to get to a reward my Gold membership will probably expire and I'll stop loading my card.

Vinc

Heh, it's just a discussion. Personally, I find it's useful information. I did cancel a few Best Buy orders last year over people from my city mentioning their experience being subpar. And when my order doesn't ship on time, it's useful to see I'm not the only one, for example. I avoided calling support in the past for that reason. After all, this thread is for posting deals and for discussion. If we stick strictly to posting deals and saying thanks these days, the thread will die a quick death :p

Firestorm

It's actually true. :p I only reloaded my SB card during promotions or discounted Groupons, and only went there if there was an opportunity to stack bonus stars. When I did redeem, it was for the sandwiches or salads.

Now that it'll be much harder to get to a reward my Gold membership will probably expire and I'll stop loading my card.
But PSLs tho 💁

Vinc

DEAL-ish

Forgive me if it's already been posted, but Dark Souls III's season pass is 24.99 on Canadian PSN, the same price as in the US. This means buying the regular game + season pass is cheaper than buying the Deluxe Edition with the same content. Xbox price is 30, so it surely will get adjusted soon. I just jumped on that, personally :D

DEAL-ish

Forgive me if it's already been posted, but Dark Souls III's season pass is 24.99 on Canadian PSN, the same price as in the US. This means buying the regular game + season pass is cheaper than buying the Deluxe Edition with the same content. Xbox price is 30, so it surely will get adjusted soon. I just jumped on that, personally :D

Damn. Tempting.

Kyolux

DEAL-ish

Any details into what's actually in the season pass? I never bought a season pass before. Is this going to be like Dark Souls 2 where there's going to be 3 DLC add-ons?

Also, any way to gift these?

Vinc

Any details into what's actually in the season pass? I never bought a season pass before. Is this going to be like Dark Souls 2 where there's going to be 3 DLC add-ons?

Also, any way to gift these?

I'm not sure about gifting, but the season pass contains the 2 DLC expansion packs coming down the line. It's assumed to be the same as all previous Souls series DLC. New areas with bosses.

UberTag

Many of us don't complain at all.

My copy of Dark Souls III hasn't shipped from Amazon yet and I haven't posted in here once about it.
It'll get here eventually. Not going to lose sleep over it.

It's just that there's a very vocal group that likes to share their shipping pain and CSR anecdotes with kindred spirits and uses the thread as a cathartic form of release.
I'm not going to lose sleep over that, either. :)

Kyolux

Not going to lose sleep over it.

image.php

Ryde3

DEAL-ish

Damn, would be all over this if it was PC

SickBoy

I'm inclined to agree. The thread can get a bit tough when a particular type of post dominates the conversation. It was the case with Amiibos back in the days of Amiibo hunters (the Canada Amiibo thread went more than 800 posts in about 30 hours). Shipping talk isn't nearly that dominant, but it does tend to outweigh everything else.

I know one of the counterpoints is "but there are no deals, what else is there to talk about?" I think my answer to that question is a different question: who's it hurting if the thread is slower?

Before I go any further, please understand, I'm not saying there's no room for shipping talk here (what, are we going to call for a "Canadian retailer shipping discussion" thread?), but I do wish people would consider:

1) Does anyone in this entire thread truly need to post "My copy of GAME shipped!" when it's days before release and all that means is that it's on track to arrive on time?

2) Does anyone in this entire thread truly need to post "My copy of GAME just arrived!" especially when it's on time? (Likewise, if there's some sort of unexpected delay that's a shipper-related anomaly, is that really worth sharing? I think it's different when you're talking about chronic issues, like that weird terrible one-day shipping company out in Ontario, or the perpetually late service a lot of people seem to experience with Amazon.

3) Unless you're dying from frustration, do you need to share your issue with a retailer in blow-by-blow single posts as they unfold, or can you tell your story in one post at its resolution? (Sharing a complete story is actually more helpful than expecting people to follow your ongoing saga through seven posts! PROTIP: If you do need to do it in multiple posts, maybe quote your old posts so we can see what's led up to where you are today -- if you're actually sharing to inform, it will be helpful)

Listen, I'm happy for you if your copy of Dark Souls has shipped. And I was thrilled to get Quantum Break and Ratchet both a day early. But I don't expect you to care about that, so I didn't post about it.

And before I sign off on this rant, please let me acknowledge that this is reactionary.... and that a good chunk of the Shipping-Age stuff that's been going on this week definitely is worth posting, what with the Dark Souls misadventures through Amazon.

But I think the core point stands. I think part of the problem is the structure of NeoGAF -- the thread structure here, versus a branching, Reddit-style structure means that every post is a potential interruption, just like this lengthy screed is getting in the way of people eager to know who the next Gaffer to get a shipping notification will be :)

Many of us don't complain at all.

My copy of Dark Souls III hasn't shipped from Amazon yet and I haven't posted in here once about it.
It'll get here eventually. Not going to lose sleep over it.

It's just that there's a very vocal group that likes to share their shipping pain and CSR anecdotes with kindred spirits and uses the thread as a cathartic form of release.
Thanks for this,

Yeah, I usually complain a lot because it helps me get over being pissed. Apologies for anyone annoyed by the shipping stuff.

killroy87

Yeah I mean, I'm well aware that the thread title is "Deals & Discussion", and Shipping talk falls into discussion. So it's not like I'm making an argument that it's not allowed. I'm not, and never have been, of the opinion that every post here needs to be about deals.

It's just...it's the same conversation, every time. There's nowhere for it to go. It's so, so, sooooooo redundant. Here is 90% of the posts

- "My copy of (insert game here) shipped a day early! Awesome"
- "My copy of (insert game here) got here on time! Awesome"
- "My copy of (insert game here) is supposed to arrive tomorrow but I haven't received notice. Has anyone else?" (note: who cares if someone else's copy shipped? How does that effect your situation? Just contact Amazon if you want)
- "My copy of (insert game here) was supposed to arrive today, but hasn't even shipped yet. Anyone else?" (note: See above note)
- "My copy of (insert game here) is days late and still no update from the retailer. So frustrating!"

There, that's literally 90% of the posts. For every single game. It doesn't invite conversation, it isn't asking a question (at least no question anyone else is equipped to answer), and it's only of interest to yourself. Whenever I see a shipping post I just think to myself "what response are you actually hoping to get from this? What's the best case scenario?"

RE_Player

What is the cheapest place to get a Dualshock 3? I want to go through some of my PS3 backlog and just noticed my current Dualshock 3 has a wobbly stick and creaky shoulder buttons.

Kyolux

There, that's literally 90% of the posts. For every single game. It doesn't invite conversation, it isn't asking a question (at least no question anyone else is equipped to answer), and it's only of interest to yourself. Whenever I see a shipping post I just think to myself "what response are you actually hoping to get from this? What's the best case scenario?"

Maybe then we should have a separate community thread? This way those that only wants to follow up on deals wouldn't have to navigate through the woes of amazon shipping.

Edit: To be clear, this would stay as the deals thread. :)

I think the shipping discussion advances the thread well, provides some discussion and questions with some deals in between. I like an active thread with new posts when I refresh it, either shipping questions/posts or other subjects, I do not mind at all to be honest.

The only problem this causes that I see, is that deals get buried a couple of pages back when there is shipping discussion like today. My post about the collector edition of the Dark Souls 3 strategy guide is probably 3 pages behind. No a problem for myself as I read all posts, but eh.

killroy87

I mean, it's not the end of the world, haha. I'm just ranting, more because I genuinely don't see the point of the conversation. But it's definitely not my place to tell people what they can and can't talk about, i can just as easily ignore the posts (which I generally do, I only brought it up because it came up)

We can carry on, as usual.

I received my copy of Ratchet yesterday, right on time. Awesome!

Vinc

Yeah I mean, I'm well aware that the thread title is "Deals & Discussion", and Shipping talk falls into discussion. So it's not like I'm making an argument that it's not allowed. I'm not, and never have been, of the opinion that every post here needs to be about deals.

It's just...it's the same conversation, every time. There's nowhere for it to go. It's so, so, sooooooo redundant. Here is 90% of the posts

- "My copy of (insert game here) shipped a day early! Awesome"
- "My copy of (insert game here) got here on time! Awesome"
- "My copy of (insert game here) is supposed to arrive tomorrow but I haven't received notice. Has anyone else?" (note: who cares if someone else's copy shipped? How does that effect your situation? Just contact Amazon if you want)
- "My copy of (insert game here) was supposed to arrive today, but hasn't even shipped yet. Anyone else?" (note: See above note)
- "My copy of (insert game here) is days late and still no update from the retailer. So frustrating!"

As I explained in an earlier post, knowing that other people are having the same issue as you is useful, and people often post what they've been told by CSRs, which saves time for others who may have contacted support otherwise to find out the same info.

Besides, you're basically calling this type of conversation repetitive, but you could say that about anything. Canadian dollar posts are the same as shipping, for example. So are posts like "I would like to buy the new Gears of War, but I don't have money for it right now."

It's just the nature of conversations around a specific topic. What other subjects would you like people to discuss in here without going completely off-topic?

i cancelled my amazon E3 dark souls 3 for ps4, and got a PC copy of the deluxe edition from the buy/sell trade on GAF for $65 USD. came to $87 after paypal fees and currency conversion

Firestorm

Best Buy had the same promo this year and people still went with Amazon. I went with Best Buy for everything except for Final Fantasy VII which was only available on Amazon =/ If people want their shit on time, they should stop using Amazon -- yes even with Prime. You're making a tradeoff for potential price mistake by getting your stuff late.

krae_man

Best Buy had the same promo this year and people still went with Amazon. I went with Best Buy for everything except for Final Fantasy VII which was only available on Amazon =/ If people want their shit on time, they should stop using Amazon -- yes even with Prime. You're making a tradeoff for potential price mistake by getting your stuff late.

Best buy was only 20% last year vs 30% with Amazon wasn't it?

killroy87

Didn't Best Buy do 20% last year, while Amazon did 30? I remember there being a whole thing where we were all pissed at Best Buy, then were all #BlessedAmazon when they announced their promo.

If I had the choice, I would always go best buy. Not just for the shipping, but for the easy returns should I change my mind on a game.

FrsDvl

I'll always go with Amazon, the only reason i've got stuff late is cause of UPS screwing up. BestBuy has never gotten me things on time.

Shit happens, nothing you can do about it. If you want to be cheap you deal with it, otherwise you just go to the store and pay $80. It's frustrating, i know. We've all been there, and we'll all continue to deal with it. Next E3 we'll all happily pre order another 25 games, just so we can complain about not getting them on release.

And people aren't missing out on deals, cause if there really is a good deal there will be 5 pages talking about it. Even with shipping talk going on, so relax.

killroy87

And people aren't missing out on deals, cause if there really is a good deal there will be 5 pages talking about it. Even with shipping talk going on, so relax.

You know what has never, in the history of mankind, been an effective way of getting someone to relax?

Telling them to relax :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom