• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

I've had a particularly bad year with Amazon, so far. The start was Senran Kagura Vita. Box came heavily damaged. So did the following replacement, but to a smaller degree. Kept it at a minor discount.

Ordered the Fullmetal Alchemist manga set and it came with the box cut opened, books removed from the sealing plastic, and heavily damaged. Their two replacements came heavily damaged because of poor shipment padding (15lb box, with a single piece of brown paper crumpled on the side of a larger box). Ended up keeping the least damaged with a small discount.

About four of my E3 games that have a cardboard box (Atlus, NIS, etc.) have come crushed to some degree. Usually, I contact Amazon to request better packaging for future orders so this doesn't happen as those flat cardboard mailers always compress and crush boxed games wih poor structure. Usually end up with a minor discount as their replacemet would likely come damaged.

To finish things, I ordered a Kindle Voyage after waiting almost 2 years for it to release in Canada. Came with all the flaws people spoke about in the USA upon release; heavy yellow tint on the upper half, large black pepper-like specks within the glass (different than the paper-grain flecks that look natural), and countless stuck/bright pixels (potentially could be tiny debris stuck between the glass and display during manufacturing process). They sent me several replacements that were also bad, even accidentally sending one of them to the wrong address (I have about 10 transfers from one support chat, even getting the same rep multiple times, before I eventually disconnected). Kindle support was much worse than the typical Amazon support. They would frequently transfer me, when trying to deal with the shipping issue, to Amazon USA support who then sent me to Kindle USA support. Ended up buying a bunch of Kindle eBooks (on sales) over the time I waited for the Kindle Voyage.

One main issue is that Amazon doesn't want photos of the damage, always jumping quickly to the "we have requested a replacement" route without concern for the why or what occurred. I keep photos of all the significant damage, either way.

TLDR: Afraid all of these issues will make them close my account and make me lose access to my eBooks. I have far more orders, withuot issue, than those listed. I may be picky, but I prefer undamaged goods when buying new. This is the first year that issues have been this frequent.

I'm curious why do you keep buying from them if they literally smash your stuff to bits?I get the "it's cheaper" angle but it seems to come with a poor shipping service. I mean even if you complain do you expect the employees in the warehouse to give your orders special treatment because you complained? If they give special care to many orders it will simply slow out shipping to a crawl and people will complain more. They've been using cheaper and cheaper couriers to ship out stuff lately so I guess they are slowly starting cutting corners after getting rid of the competition. Free shipping purchase limit seems to be increasing too.

Megasoum

Banned
I cancelled my Netflix sub this morning and I was looking at Crave... Do they get all the HBO stuff? I noticed that there's no GoT, Veep or Silicon Valley right now. Also, how quickly are they getting new episodes? Is it a Hulu kind of thing with next day episodes or it's more Netflix a year later?

kevin1025

Banned
I cancelled my Netflix sub this morning and I was looking at Crave... Do they get all the HBO stuff? I noticed that there's no GoT, Veep or Silicon Valley right now. Also, how quickly are they getting new episodes? Is it a Hulu kind of thing with next day episodes or it's more Netflix a year later?

CraveTV, in terms of HBO and for the most part Showtime, doesn't have any of the newer stuff. That all goes to TMN/HBO Go, which only works if you have a TV subscription. Checking on there, it says a lot of the expiring dates are in 2017, so potentially a lot of the newer HBO stuff will pop over onto CraveTV next year. They do seem to get the Showtime seasons a little faster though, they expire faster on the TMN side and hop over there.

But beware, reading up on Twitter, they have a lot of buffering and sign in issues. It might be worth trying the free month and then deciding from there!

baconcow

I'm curious why do you keep buying from them if they literally smash your stuff to bits?I get the "it's cheaper" angle but it seems to come with a poor shipping service. I mean even if you complain do you expect the employees in the warehouse to give your orders special treatment because you complained? If they give special care to many orders it will simply slow out shipping to a crawl and people will complain more. They've been using cheaper and cheaper couriers to ship out stuff lately so I guess they are slowly starting cutting corners after getting rid of the competition. Free shipping purchase limit seems to be increasing too.

I wouldn't say things are smashed to bits, but they are definitely unacceptable new condition upon arrival. At first, I thought it was all UPS shipping (which I still believe is a major factor), but I order similar items from other locations, which use UPS, and they come with better packaging and padding and arrive undamaged. For games, it is simply choose Amazon because because of price, availability, and convenience. With E3 sales, at 30% off, this makes gaming far more affordable. I am hoping that my shipping-based complaints will lead to better packaging practices for everybody's orders, not only my own. When there is a game available at a local store, like WalMart, I will usually just buy it there if the price is similar or can be PM'd. We're all in this thread for the deals, and that is what Amazon offers. A large majority of my games come in perfect condition. I just wanted to share my recent negative experiences.

Megasoum

Banned
CraveTV, in terms of HBO and for the most part Showtime, doesn't have any of the newer stuff. That all goes to TMN/HBO Go, which only works if you have a TV subscription. Checking on there, it says a lot of the expiring dates are in 2017, so potentially a lot of the newer HBO stuff will pop over onto CraveTV next year. They do seem to get the Showtime seasons a little faster though, they expire faster on the TMN side and hop over there.

But beware, reading up on Twitter, they have a lot of buffering and sign in issues. It might be worth trying the free month and then deciding from there!

OK thanks for the info!

cruisx

Neo Member
Anyone have the name of that website that someone was running to forward items bought on US sites to Canada? I remember it was a gaming focused shipment forwarding site but cant remember the name.

Corey31

OK thanks for the info!

Bell owns both TMN GO and CraveTV and has the streaming rights to both HBO and Showtime locked up significantly longer than 2017

It's basically their choice to put current stuff on TMN Go and older stuff on CraveTV. They could just as easily put all series on both.

If something is or will be cancelled/ending before it's end date on TMN Go, I wouldn't be shocked to see it show up on CraveTV before then. There is already some content that fits that category. They just added the cancelled HBO comedy Looking to CraveTV despite it still being on TMN Go until 2017.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just picked up Chibi-Robo Zip Lash + amiibo for $15 at EB. I know the game isn't the greatest, but for that price, I couldn't resist. Figured I'd pass it on.

That game isn't even 'bad', in fact, I had some fun with the 12, or so hours I had with it. It's just very, very uninspired and frankly, bland. Some of the platforming challenges are interesting, but it never really progresses as you go through. After you've seen a couple of the worlds, you've mostly got an idea about what you're in for. When they throw new stuff at you, it's usually not much of a change.

justinluey

Neo Member
Just picked up Chibi-Robo Zip Lash + amiibo for $15 at EB. I know the game isn't the greatest, but for that price, I couldn't resist. Figured I'd pass it on.

I really enjoyed it. I think the game is misunderstood. It's similar to Yoshi's Island, it's all about exploring the levels and collecting everything. It's also much more fun and rewarding if you use your plug as a grappling hook and move through the levels that way, as opposed to slowly walking and jumping. It has some really good boss fights and there is a lot to collect if you enjoy that part of games.

The amiibo is also used more than most games. You can level up the amiibo by progressing through the game, the amiibo unlocks collectibles in the Chibi House, and it unlocks some post game content.

Was there a pre-order bonus of Bravely Second on Best Buy? I coulda sworn I saw something, but there's nothing there now and I didn't get any codes emailed to me.

It's been quite some time since I've ordered anything from Amazon. I forget how they ship, as in which courier they use. Can someone enlighten me?

I used a friend's card to order three adult colouring books. They qualified for free shipping, and I told them to group the orders (figuring two would ship together before the end of this month and the last one, a pre-order, would come separately at the end of June), but they shipped one by itself.

tiijj

It's been quite some time since I've ordered anything from Amazon. I forget how they ship, as in which courier they use. Can someone enlighten me?

I used a friend's card to order three adult colouring books. They qualified for free shipping, and I told them to group the orders (figuring two would ship together before the end of this month and the last one, a pre-order, would come separately at the end of June), but they shipped one by itself.

They use different courier depending on where the item is (and where you are), what the item is I guess, and the type of shipping speed.

If an item will be release in like less than 2 weeks they usually group it and send it when the last item becomes available or ready to be dispatched. That was one of the headache some people had in the previous thread (we/they got it 2 weeks after release / 13 days after the game was released before amazon actually dispatched the E3 preorder)

Mostly CP for me. Books are always in perfect condition.

No_Style

I just noticed this on my Prime page:
http://i.imgur.com/V84lOzS.png
Could this be an explanation to why some Prime members get games on launch day and some do not? Seems like it's a benefit for having a student prime membership as opposed to a regular one.

All Prime members get the Release-Date Delivery when they select Two Day shipping on eligible items.

Shipping charges for Release-Date Delivery vary by item and are displayed on the order confirmation page. For Amazon Prime members, Release-Date Delivery is free when selecting Two-Day Shipping.

In the event of a missed delivery, we'll refund the shipping charge.

Haven't received a code from Amazon.ca for my order, though the website says it could be up to five business days after shipping; my copy shipped on Monday.

Also, EBGames totally got the best preorder: I need that Onion Knight costume!

I don't think that I got my code from eb games :-(

flkraven

So where is the best place to get Xbox Live Gold nowadays? Noticed Costco stopped selling it.

Man, Walmart doesn't sell Gold either. With the exchange, CDKeys Gold is like the same price as straight from Microsoft. Are they getting rid of Gold or something?

Edit: I can't find a price for it on EB's website either. wtf.

Luigi87

Bluh. I was fine with my Dark Souls 3 not shipping from Amazon on Tuesday last week, because it's Amazon and they're known for slow shipping now, though I still contacted a CSR to ask about it and the CSR said it would ship Friday April 15 (as did my order page at the time).

Well it's Monday the 18th now and it still hasn't. Contacted another CSR today asking about why it hasn't shipped, and essentially just got "your order is advance stage of shipping process and we're planning to ship the Item from the nearest fulfillment center" and that they ship on a first come first serve basis (this order is from November..), side-stepping why it didn't ship on April 15th. So... meh.

At least my VG+ Infinite Space is up to processing.

khaaan

Does cancelling not work on things coming out soon at Amazon? I tried to cancel my order of Star Fox on Friday and it said an error occurred and try again in a few minutes. After trying a few times I gave up. Today I try again and it's giving the same error.

Does cancelling not work on things coming out soon at Amazon? I tried to cancel my order of Star Fox on Friday and it said an error occurred and try again in a few minutes. After trying a few times I gave up. Today I try again and it's giving the same error.

Based amazon, they just want the franchise to survive.

Try doing it through the mobile site, that seems to work better for people. Maybe the Amazon app too, not sure.

I cancelled an old Futureshop order just now and was asked for the customer service number for my credit card's bank. This is the first time I've had to do that and when I brought this up to the rep, they told me this was a new policy.

Has this ever happened to you guys and should I be concerned?

Firestorm

if you have AC wireless , its godly.
Or of course wired.

If you are planning on using N or something , its not gonna work too well.
Current setup has a wired connection going to where the TV is and then a wired + wireless range extender (D-Link DAP 1650). It's not often the TV isn't in use but it seems fun to play with :D

Vinc

I cancelled an old Futureshop order just now and was asked for the customer service number for my credit card's bank. This is the first time I've had to do that and when I brought this up to the rep, they told me this was a new policy.

Same thing just happened to me for StarFox and I have the same question...

Sora_N

I did live chat to cancel Ratchet since they didn't ship it out.

App didn't work for that one.

krae_man

What a pointless question. You could probably Google the first 4 numbers of the card and get the bank.

Edit: lol:

https://www.bindb.com/bin-list.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom