• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiyo

^^^ What kind of sorcery is this ?

Oh hell...do tell.

<hidden msg></hidden msg>... tried more but didnt work

my haul =D...
kdieklmwkndbgnavdi0sgi.jpg

laimrniqpofurhxdxjan8gsog.jpg

for now...

I don't understand how that poster triple stacked Best Buy discounts. It says the promo code was already used when I try even double stacking the games he mentioned.

Everyone I know suddenly wants to go out this weekend. I'm going to miss everything! &#128553;

I have a birthday party I need to go to tomorrow during the MS conference. Can't get out of it.

Who has their birthday on a Sunday? I always move that shit to a Saturday or Friday night.

True Fire

This stopped being true last year. I don't think it was an unintentional glitch. Not sure if this year is different but I wouldn't expect it to be.

I got CSRs to adjust all of my E3 prices no problem. All you have to do is cite the preorder price guarantee.

The only exceptions were the 50 dollar games (FFXV and Resident Evil VII last year), because they weren't tagged with the E3 20% off.

But this year my E3 2016 20% off preorders are down to 50 dollars, so I get both deals.

kaiyo

I got CSRs to adjust all of my E3 prices no problem. All you have to do is cite the preorder price guarantee.

The only exceptions were the 50 dollar games (FFXV and Resident Evil VII last year), because they weren't tagged with the E3 20% off.

But this year my E3 2016 20% off preorders are down to 50 dollars, so I get both deals.

so u can get the $50 + additional 20% from last year's e3 promo?

kaiyo

Yeah, but it involves CSRs. It's not automatic.

but the price guarantee only guarantees you pay the lowest price and not lowest price + 20% off?

Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.ca price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price

MercuryLS3

I tried to get multiple codes from bestbuy with no luck. Oh well, I'll use the 20% off on uncharted: lost legacy and everybody's golf since no one is doing deals on them.

SickBoy

Congrats to everyone for getting the big deals from Amazon. I tried a couple of times but didn't feel right about brute-forcing the heck out of it.

I am considering re-ordering stuff I had only a Prime discount on, just in case the E3 20% somehow works differently.

What I did notice, however, is that I don't see any evidence that the old Prime discount continues to exist in the form we knew.

For example:
Since there were no deals on it, yesterday I thought I may as well bite the bullet and preorder Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. On its Amazon page (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06Y8YQ4V5/), there's a note about Prime Savings. It doesn't say 20%, but it does say they'll be applied at checkout. But go through to checkout and the only discount on the item is a $5 credit I had on my account for reloading my GC balance.

If you look at the Prime benefits page, it lists "Member Exclusive Discount" as one of the benefits of Prime, but clicking on that doesn't bring you to any sort of details, just a list of "Prime Discount"-eligible games. I'm sure there used to be a page of terms somewhere. Couldn't see a mention of 20% anywhere.

Has anyone tried ordering a game that doesn't have any sort of special E3 promotion active on it?

but the price guarantee only guarantees you pay the lowest price and not lowest price + 20% off?

Yeah, that's the thing. In prior years, you DID get lowest price + 20%, and it was automatic. Last year, something changed. Contacting CSRs might get you the discount, as a bunch of people in this thread can corroborate, but I don't know if everyone just got dumb CSRs that didn't know the policy, or if Amazon's own shit spontaneously broke for no reason, conveniently only on E3 2016 pre-orders.

Personally, I hate contacting CSRs and trying to cajole them into giving me what I want and half the time telling me no. So I consider E3 2016 discounts to be 20% off MSRP. Don't know if this year's discounts will go back to being lowest + 20%, but given that Prime explicitly states that you only get MSRP + 20% or lowest + 0%, and given that this would be a really weird way to differentiate between Prime and E3 discounts, I'm not betting on it personally. It may still be a good idea to replace your existing Prime discounts with E3 ones, just because they'll still be around after your Prime membership expires.

Has anyone tried ordering a game that doesn't have any sort of special E3 promotion active on it?

Games that have released in the last two weeks have lost their Prime discount. Wipeout Omega Collection, for example, has a banner about Prime members saving on new release games, but does not actually apply the discount at checkout.

My guess is this is temporary, they probably pulled the Prime discounts entirely and replaced them with the E3 ones. It would be pretty shitty of Amazon to suddenly pull a major benefit of Prime before a year is even up, meaning that no one who signed up for a full year gets the benefits they were promised. (Hell, you could argue even this temporary suspension isn't right, given that some people might be relying on that post-release discount so they could wait for reviews of a game.)

I'm trying to get a second code off best buy, but I don't see an option to sign up for the newsletter after login into the reward zone.
Edit: I think I did it but I'm not getting another email from them.

SickBoy

Y
Games that have released in the last two weeks have lost their Prime discount. Wipeout Omega Collection, for example, has a banner about Prime members saving on new release games, but does not actually apply the discount at checkout.

My guess is this is temporary, they probably pulled the Prime discounts entirely and replaced them with the E3 ones. It would be pretty shitty of Amazon to suddenly pull a major benefit of Prime before a year is even up, meaning that no one who signed up for a full year gets the benefits they were promised. (Hell, you could argue even this temporary suspension isn't right, given that some people might be relying on that post-release discount so they could wait for reviews of a game.)

That was my thinking as well, but it definitely does suck. Might just put in a Best Buy preorder for a couple of things just as a backup (or maybe I will come to a realization that I don't need everything (ha ha ha))

MercuryLS3

I signed up to rewardszone using a few different email addresses. Got 3 unique codes. Going to try to stack them on pre-orders when I get home.

The Best Buy orders or Amazon?

My Amazon glitches never get cancelled. I HAVE had a Best Buy one cancelled though.

Best Buy. FS before them.

doubly so with geniuses like him taking it to crazy extremes. will ruin it for everyone

Buying a controller at BB at store opening hour, the guy at the counter immediately says, "good price, just the one? you part of RFD?" Lol. Uh no, just a regular dude buying ONE controller.

Guess they see all kinds of deal seekers at that hour looking to clear out shelves before anyone else gets there.

True Fire

I'll try to make this explanation as simple as I can haha.

Here's the E3 fine print:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/A242VYQU4A/

You can't stack promotions, but lowest price guarantee isn't a promotion. A promotion would be "E3 DISCOUNT -30 DOLLARS" at checkout, which wouldn't affect the lowest price guarantee for existing preorders.

But Amazon didn't do that. They lowered the asking price, lowering the price of everyone's E3 2016 preorders in the process. But because there are no other promotions applied, items are still eligible for 20% off (if you complain to a CSR).

Here's what they did: they lowered the asking price of a bunch of games to match Walmart, and they're pretending these items are "special promotions" when really it's just a quick price reduction.

Likewise, they repurposed the Prime 20% off for E3 2017 and disabled the Prime 20% off in the process, which is another opportunity for CSR complaints.

i-Lo

LTTP:

(As a prime member) I just ordered GoW, Death Stranding, Detroit and RDR2 for $49.95 each on Amazon without putting in any special code. Was there or is there more discount to be had?

Lexxism

LTTP:

(As a prime member) I just ordered GoW, Death Stranding, Detroit and RDR2 for $49.95 each on Amazon without putting in any special code. Was there or is there more discount to be had?
No. That's basically it. It's too bad that the 20% prime doesn't apply to the order.

Vinc

I'll try to make this explanation as simple as I can haha.

Here's the E3 fine print:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/A242VYQU4A/

You can't stack promotions, but lowest price guarantee isn't a promotion. A promotion would be "E3 DISCOUNT -30 DOLLARS" at checkout, which wouldn't affect the lowest price guarantee for existing preorders.

But Amazon didn't do that. They lowered the asking price, lowering the price of everyone's E3 2016 preorders in the process. But because there are no other promotions applied, items are still eligible for 20% off (if you complain to a CSR).

They didn't lower the asking price, they discounted them. That's a promotion. The 49.96 games are currently saying 30 DOLLARS OFF, like you said, on their respective pages. Amazon is simply giving you the best promotion of the two, since you cannot stack them. Complaining to CSRs like that is gaming the system, and will likely eventually lead to the discontinuation of these promotions, or to worse customer service.

eyesradar

LTTP:

For $50 games no. There was a glitch last night on Amazon which allowed Prime members to stack the Prime discount with the e3 discount on certain $79.99 games.

Lexxism

The double stack definitely worked. However, when I tried for the third one it is giving an error and the code won't apply. So, the 79.99 will be 51.19. I guess this is a good one if you have a BB gift card you want to use. Walmart and Amazon deal is much better by $5 or so.

True Fire

They didn't lower the asking price, they discounted them. That's a promotion. The 49.96 games are currently saying 30 DOLLARS OFF, like you said, on their respective pages. Amazon is simply giving you the best promotion of the two, since you cannot stack them. Complaining to CSRs like that is gaming the system, and will likely eventually lead to the discontinuation of these promotions, or to worse customer service.

I mean, this is a thread where people are gaming the system for double discounts. At least I have fine print justification.

SickBoy

EDIT: In case anyone else has this issue, it had been forever since I logged into Rewards Zone, so upon logging in, I was prompted to change my password and nothing else. When I logged in a second time, there was an opt-in for promotional Best Buy emails -- which, after I accepted, informed me I'd receive the E3 email shortly (FWIW, my account was already set up to receive promotional emails).

So, a question regarding Best Buy, did people just get codes from them, or what? I'm not in a rush to order anything from them, but I just logged into my Rewards Zone account for the first time in forever, and between that page and the Best Buy page, I'm led to believe I should already have something in my inbox?

(Wow, look at me, Mr. Needs Technical Support this E3)

N° 2048

So, a question regarding Best Buy, did people just get codes from them, or what? I'm not in a rush to order anything from them, but I just logged into my Rewards Zone account for the first time in forever, and between that page and the Best Buy page, I'm led to believe I should already have something in my inbox?

(Wow, look at me, Mr. Needs Technical Support this E3)

I just got a code in an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom