• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm not seeing Prime or E3 discounts being applied.

They're not up yet from the looks of things (Amazon can be a little slow on that), but I figured I'd share the links for them so that they can be wishlisted or bookmarked for when they are.

Super fast edit: A Way out on PS4 now has the discount.

20% off IS a deal. The idea that this has become the expectation is insane. Name one other medium where you get discounts like this. You're taking it for granted.

The only, let's say disappointing, aspect of the 20% off deal is that it's the same deal that Prime members get year round while paying for the service. The deal is great for those that are not Prime members (and maybe cause them to become Prime members) but as a Prime member myself I feel a bit shafted by it and don't think it's a deal (for me).

Being able to double stack the discounts was a hell of a deal, same with the $50 price matches.

chrono01

The only, let's say disappointing, aspect of the 20% off deal is that it's the same deal that Prime members get year round while paying for the service. The deal is great for those that are not Prime members (and maybe cause them to become Prime members) but as a Prime member myself I feel a bit shafted by it and don't think it's a deal (for me).

Being able to double stack the discounts was a hell of a deal, same with the $50 price matches.
Yeah, there's really no benefit to being a Prime member right now (during E3), aside from the free two-day shipping.

I was thinking/hoping that they would add something else, in addition to the default 20% off, to encourage people to subscribe to Amazon Prime as well as thank those who were already members. I guess not. :/

Oh well, at least I managed to take advantage of the double-stacking glitch yesterday so, assuming those orders aren't eventually cancelled, at least that's something.

CazTGG

20% off IS a deal. The idea that this has become the expectation is insane. Name one other medium where you get discounts like this. You're taking it for granted.

The problem isn't the discount in of itself, it's that they're shutting off the Prime discount, a discount that requires one to pay $79/year, from these deals at the time when most video games pre-orders are announced and offer the exact same discount. It makes having Prime redundant at best if one bought Prime, as many in this thread evidently did, specifically to save money on their video game pre-orders and, in cases like Nintendo, purchase a game at a price it won't reach for years if one intends to wait for a deal to crop up.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I know we're all free to do what we want, but it's clearly a glitch. The more extreme we go with it, the closer we get to BB fucking everything up. I say if you can get two, go for it and pray they don't get cancel

You're right. I went with two codes and got a good deal with it :) Bought like 5 games together and that's pretty unprecedented for me!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's the combination of the dollar plummeting combined with the discounts getting smaller and smaller.

I still have a 40 dollar Kingdom Hearts preorder to remind me of the "good times".

The problem isn't the discount in of itself, it's that they're shutting off the Prime discount, a discount that requires one to pay $79/year, from these deals at the time when most video games pre-orders are announced and offer the exact same discount. It makes having Prime redundant at best if one bought Prime, as many in this thread evidently did, specifically to save money on their video game pre-orders and, in cases like Nintendo, purchase a game at a price it won't reach for years if one intends to wait for a deal to crop up.

you've described why i have no interest in prime perfectly! absolutely useless to me if it doesn't stack with e3 game discounts, my single largest purchase each year...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I love it when people go to bat for corporations. Like, whats in it for you? Let's face it Amazon Prime is absolute shit at times like this and a lot of people DID subscribe just for game discounts. But turns out when they actually have sales like this, the Prime discount is worthless.

But someone has to defend those helpless mega corporations, right?

kevin1025

Banned
I love it when people go to bat for corporations. Like, whats in it for you? Let's face it Amazon Prime is absolute shit at times like this and a lot of people DID subscribe just for game discounts. But turns out when they actually have sales like this, the Prime discount is worthless.

The only mega corporation I will defend is Lucasfilm. The rest can fend for themselves!

MercuryLS3

Prime's main pull is the free shipping with no min purchase, the other stuff is value add. If you don't find value in those things, then you should just cancel it honestly. I never signed up because their game deals were never that great, this E3 kinda proved that. Walmart forced their hand to actually have some great deals.

sure, be that way!... but jeff still loves you :) ...

jeff-bezos-high-school-buddy-slams-the-new-book-about-the-amazon-chief-but-recommends-you-read-it-anyway.jpg

N° 2048

Speaking the truth!

chrono01

Honestly, if you're only interested in game discounts (as most of us here are, myself included), you're probably better off pre-ordering everything you can during E3 promotions (for the 20% off) and just skipping Prime entirely (if they don't offer us any additional discounts during this time).

Sure, Prime is great for getting discounts on Limited/Special Editions, that are usually excluded from the E3 deals...but that doesn't exactly work when the site never offers you a Prime discount for them in the first place (see Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash, for example)! Seriously, that game has been up for a week now and no Prime discount. When games are listed on Amazon.com, they're automatically given the Prime discount. Why must we wait once for a game to be listed, and then again for the Prime discount/savings to be applied, before we pre-order? That doesn't exactly work, when the item in question could possibly be limited in-nature, and needs to be pre-ordered as soon as possible. :/

UberTag

It's an interesting juxtaposition to have people justifying Amazon not owing people anything for their $79 Prime investment - knowing full well that the vast majority of people in this thread signed up because of game pre-order savings which are presently being offered to everyone and where the only other benefits are Twitch Prime and Prime Video (which many people have no interest in), Prime Photos (which I honestly had no idea was a thing as someone who ponies up for a Photobucket subscription) and improved shipping (which many people can't take advantage of for same day and where games will often arrive a week or longer after street date regardless)... while at the same time we have people creating multiple Emails to exploit Best Buy promotion code glitches, refreshing Amazon shopping carts to exploit web site issues and harassing Amazon reps to get them to honor expected savings that technically shouldn't apply - which, for all intents and purposes, aren't deals at all but loophole exploits.

I mean, I can see this issue from both perspectives and just sort of shake my head... especially when most of the savings benefits from this week should all be credited to Walmart and we should all be rushing to them to reward them for it and yet we don't. It's also not at all surprising this is a thing when we have Nintendo of Canada poised to transition into full "Arrogant Nintendo" mode at the earliest opportunity with a $99.99 sticker price on Pokken Tournament DX - which is the equivalent of a US dollar being worth $1.66 Canadian when it's presently only worth $1.35.

especially when most of the savings benefits from this week should all be credited to Walmart and we should all be rushing to them to reward them for it and yet we don't.

Yep, people really need to keep their orders they placed with Walmart. Amazon has been getting significantly worse year by year, why reward them when all we would have gotten was 20% off?

i-Jest

only if walmart does first :) ...

Yeah I'll be supporting Wally's this year if they'll continue to set the bar. It sends the right message.

It's an interesting juxtaposition to have people justifying Amazon not owing people anything for their $79 Prime investment - knowing full well that the vast majority of people in this thread signed up because of game pre-order savings which are presently being offered to everyone and where the only other benefits are Twitch Prime and Prime Video (which many people have no interest in), Prime Photos (which I honestly had no idea was a thing as someone who ponies up for a Photobucket subscription) and improved shipping (which many people can't take advantage of for same day and where games will often arrive a week or longer after street date regardless)... while at the same time we have people creating multiple Emails to exploit Best Buy promotion code glitches, refreshing Amazon shopping carts to exploit web site issues and harassing Amazon reps to get them to honor expected savings that technically shouldn't apply - which, for all intents and purposes, aren't deals at all but loophole exploits.

I mean, I can see this issue from both perspectives and just sort of shake my head... especially when most of the savings benefits from this week should all be credited to Walmart and we should all be rushing to them to reward them for it and yet we don't. It's also not at all surprising this is a thing when we have Nintendo of Canada poised to transition into full "Arrogant Nintendo" mode at the earliest opportunity with a $99.99 sticker price on Pokken Tournament DX - which is the equivalent of a US dollar being worth $1.66 Canadian when it's presently only worth $1.35.

I have to agree. I'll be honest, I've taken advantage of both Amazon and Bestbuy exploits. If the consequences mean I lose my preorders then so be it. I have the patience to wait for things to go on sale, as well as waiting for games that don't arrive of at launch. Things have gotten expensive and will continue to be that way for a good few more years. If $100 Switch games are gonna be the norm going forward then thank God for Walmart. They can have my money this E3.

Firestorm

Books and movies? What other medium sells for MSRP everywhere? It's not a deal if Prime gives you 20% off all the time...

lacinius

Prime's main pull is the free shipping with no min purchase, the other stuff is value add. If you don't find value in those things, then you should just cancel it honestly. I never signed up because their game deals were never that great, this E3 kinda proved that. Walmart forced their hand to actually have some great deals.

Walmart didn't force their hand, it was because of the automatic Prime 20% discount that Amazon already established as part of the service that put Walmart into the position of "we might as well match because most everyone will go to Amazon if we don't" given that Amazon has traditionally had an E3 20% as well... or did you think it was a coincidence that Walmart's price is exactly the same as combing the Prime and E3 discounts.

UberTag

Walmart didn't force their hand, it was because of the automatic Prime 20% discount that Amazon already established as part of the service that put Walmart into the position of "we might as well match because most everyone will go to Amazon if we don't" given that Amazon has traditionally had an E3 20% as well... or did you think it was a coincidence that Walmart's price is exactly the same as combing the Prime and E3 discounts.
It's entirely coincidental seeing how combining the Prime and E3 discounts was...

A) Never intended by Amazon and is factually a website exploit that lasted a mere handful of hours.
B) Walmart threw down the $49.96 gauntlet before the aformentioned exploit surfaced in the first place.
C) Walmart ran the exact same promotion last year... just with a smaller assortment of eligible titles.
D) Amazon would have reduced NOTHING to that price had Walmart not "forced their hand" with said promotion and you would have saved NOTHING extra from Amazon as an existing Prime subscriber had said exploit not surfaced.

Amazon's intent was to offer their $79/year Prime subscriber customer base NOTHING for E3 this year. This cannot be questioned.
It just turns out they inadvertently offered people quite a bit of savings thanks to the actions of a competitor and subpar maintenance of their web store.

I skipped over Walmart primarily because I'm moving in a couple of months and they're apparently kind of terrible as an online store. Didn't want to have to call up a call centre to hopefully be able to change my shipping address.

That said, if Mario comes back in stock I'll probably just order it from Walmart since it doesn't look like Amazon is going to price match it. I may not know the address of where I'll end up moving to, but I at least know the city and general area that I'm looking to move to, so I could just pick a post office around there to ship to.

stn

I ordered it on June 1st from Amazon, yet they still haven't received stock.

I contacted then, but they have no clue when more are coming.

It's available on Amazon.com but I'm not willing to pay $30 extra...

Were you also checking on Amazon.ca?
I pre-ordered in April. Yeah, Amazon.ca is the one. Keep me posted on any updates, I will do the same for you!

eyesradar

The Amazon combined deal wasn't a "deal" to start with. So no "combines" were supposed to happen.

Amazon's intent was to offer their $79/year Prime subscriber customer base NOTHING for E3 this year.

This

True Fire

Amazon's intent was to offer their $79/year Prime subscriber customer base NOTHING for E3 this year. This cannot be questioned.

This is true. Functionally, they didn't even do anything for E3. They made the Prime discount available to everyone to match Best Buy, and lowered a few prices to match Walmart (which they do all year round).

This is why I have no qualms about "gaming the system." I'm sure Amazon will survive somehow.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Walmart was offering $50 preorders long before Amazon Prime 20% off games was a thing.

Hey guys, do you know what happens if your prime lapses before the delivery date? I'm a bit worried since I noticed some text on the bottom that says you have to be a prime member on release day or something.

Fularu

Banned
So why can't Amazon.ca get Raiden V PS4 and Sine Mora PS4 up is beyond me.

I've been spammed (read trolled) for weeks now by Amazon.com asking me to buy them

Get better Amazon.ca QQ

NYR

It's entirely coincidental seeing how combining the Prime and E3 discounts was...

A) Never intended by Amazon and is factually a website exploit that lasted a mere handful of hours.
False. They matched wal marts pricing within 2 hours. To say they are sitting on their hands or intended to is a false narrative.

In business, you never make the first move especially when the ask is a cut in revenue. They already have Best Buy matched so they are not competition. And correct me if I'm wrong, Wal Mart has done FUCK ALL since their $50 run. So let's get this lined up - Amazon is offering the EXACT same thing as Best Buy. They are price matching Wal Mart. And now you want them to lose more revenue by making another move needlessly when they are on the same footing as their competition and wish to compete on added value of Prime? Ridiculous expectation and anyone who has taken one business class wouldn't make that mistake. For all we know they cancelled a promo since the competition is not outdoing them.

This is no different from gas stations that compete across a block. They match prices instantly and do not try to make the first move unless forced. Amazon is not forced to do anything, but this idea they planned on sitting in their hands is a joke.

UberTag

Hey guys, do you know what happens if your prime lapses before the delivery date? I'm a bit worried since I noticed some text on the bottom that says you have to be a prime member on release day or something.
Your discount will be lost. Heck, anyone on Prime who is even entertaining the idea of leaving Prime before all of their current pre-orders are fulfilled should be cancelling all of their existing orders and re-making them NOW during this week's E3 window because the E3 discount won't lapse once you quit Prime.

False. They matched wal marts pricing within 2 hours. To say they are sitting on their hands or intended to is a false narrative.
I was referring to last night's double-stack promotion error in that point. Not the Walmart price matching.
The previous poster was speculating that Walmart's $49.96 price point was an anticipatory reaction to the belief that Amazon would be consciously offering 40% off games and not 20%.

This is no different from gas stations that compete across a block. They match prices instantly and do not try to make the first move unless forced. Amazon is not forced to do anything, but this idea they planned on sitting in their hands is a joke.
Amazon is only offering their $79/year Prime subscribers the exact same thing they offered them last week. And last month. 20% off game pre-orders.
Along with a reminder that they wasted their money if pre-order game discounts was the sole reason they paid Amazon an extra $79/year in the first place because everyone is getting those right now.

Amazon is offering the bare minimum to everyone else because - as you said - they're simply reacting to the promotions that their competition is rolling out.
Like a gas station.

Although if you paid a gas station $79/year for cheaper gas and then saw them offering said cheaper gas to everyone it still wouldn't be as bad because gas is a depleted commodity.
These pre-orders can sit until they're fulfilled... like Kingdom Hearts 3 when it comes out in 2022... after Prime subscribers have paid Amazon an additional $400 during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom