• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiro

I'm going to go over my pre-orders with a fine-toothed comb before deciding what I'm keeping. I'm a patient guy, so besides pretty much all of the Nintendo games (which never go on sale) and a few PS4 games I really want to play Day 1, I'll probably wait until sub $30 discounts come along 6-9 months after release.

Same, but my backlog (or no backlog) plays a role in this too, so I wait until the last few days to cancel each game. Because maybe I have nothing else to play or have way too much to even warrant getting a game I really do want to play.

JDH

Same, but my backlog (or no backlog) plays a role in this too, so I wait until the last few days to cancel each game. Because maybe I have nothing else to play or have way too much to even warrant getting a game I really do want to play.

Oh definitely! There are so many coming this summer though, that I'm going to start thinking hard about those.

I have a ridiculous backlog, but also collect for the future. I still play old NES and Genesis games for the "first time" and love it!

beta_fuse

$100 for a Kirby game, series known for 5-8 hour campaign, that's crazy talk, I'm with you. Even $80 is pushing it.

I hear you man, games already being at $90 with tax is beyond what I'm willing to pay so unless I get a decent deal, or the price lowers, I'm cancelling whatever doesn't add up to <$70.

And yeah of all the games Kirby being at $99.99 is the craziest to me.

Ventara

Hey guys, it seems that Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is $30, but it's $30 USD in the US, so the price for it might go up. Preorder it now if you're interested. Prime or the E3 discount doesn't work for it, but I suppose you can talk to an Amazon CSR to fix that, and it's still cheaper than the supposed $32 ($40 - 20%) price. Edit: It's also $30 at EB Games.

Also, it seems it's a Gamestop exclusive in the US. Not sure if that just means Amazon.ca put it up in error and it's all gonna get cancelled.

Mimosa97

Question for computer people:

Will this laptop be able to watch Big Brother live feeds without much issue? I'll have to use a VPN to watch them.

Hewlett Packard 11.6-Inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron N3060, 4GB Ram, 16B eMMC Storage, Chrome OS), Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KWCIC8C/

I know it's not the best laptop by any means, but I literally just need it to watch Big Brother and write papers for school.

If it runs chrome without trouble then you should be pretty safe. I watch streams on my shitty ass second gen IPAD that I've had for 5 years so I think you'll be okay lol

I hate HP laptops though and would definitely recommend you check other brands.

Hey guys, it seems that Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is $30, but it's $30 USD in the US, so the price for it might go up. Preorder it now if you're interested. Prime or the E3 discount doesn't work for it, but I suppose you can talk to an Amazon CSR to fix that, and it's still cheaper than the supposed $32 ($40 - 20%) price. Edit: It's also $30 at EB Games.

Also, it seems it's a Gamestop exclusive in the US. Not sure if that just means Amazon.ca put it up in error and it's all gonna get cancelled.

It's also only $21.59 on the playstation store to preorder, so I can't see the price going up.

Stage On

Man my preorder list so far is tiny compared to you guys which is really depressing.

Watching Wal-mart like a hawk hoping Mario Odyssey will go up again and that this time the system will actually let me order it.

Just finished making my pre-order list, I got 42 items (3 duplicates).

I realized Mario+Rabbids, Culdcept, Yakuza Kiwami and Redout are coming out on August 29. If I have to cut once I'll probably not get Mario+Rabbids day 1 and just hope that drops in price.

Seik

Banned
Yeah, after seeing Pokkén and Mario Odyssey at 100$, I thought that was to be corrected and it was a placeholder price.

I contacted an Amazon rep via email about that earlier today and they sent me this. I explained that games that are 59.99$ on .com usually end up being 79,99$ on .ca but I don't think he understood my question correctly.

Hello from Amazon.ca.

I'm sorry to hear about that Amazon.ca prices are higher than Amazon.com prices.

I would like to offer an explanation of some of the considerations which have led us to adopt this policy.

Please note that, prices on Amazon.ca do not reflect prices on Amazon.com, regardless of the current exchange rate. While many of the items we offer on the Amazon.ca website are also offered on Amazon.com, the prices of items offered on both sites may not be the same. At Amazon.ca, we work hard to offer the best price available in Canada.

Many factors in the Canadian marketplace, including fulfillment centre operational costs and what we pay to our own suppliers, affect the prices that we charge at any given time on Amazon.ca. This may result in different prices on Amazon.ca and on Amazon.com for the same item.

Of course, you're welcome to purchase from Amazon.com if you'd prefer. If you do decide to purchase from Amazon.com, note that international orders may be subject to international shipping charges as well as customs fees.

At Amazon it is our goal to offer you the best selection at the best prices, regardless of where you live. However, copyright law prohibits the selling of foreign editions when a local publisher has acquired the rights to that item. This is why you may find that some titles are listed on one Amazon site at a different price than at another.

As retailers Amazon.ca, do not fix the price for the items on our website as our list price is the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price). Unfortunately, we can only make changes to the list price on our website if the manufacturer has made these changes known to us.

I apologize for any inconvenience the above information might have caused and hope you can understand our limitations.

Seeing Yoshi, MP4 and Kirby going the same price is getting me real worried. :(

I love Kirby but if you told me a couple years ago there would be a $100 Kirby game I would have laughed you out of town. There's no way they actually let those be the final prices.

Right?

BY2K

Membero Americo
What the shit is with those Switch games prices.

What the fuck. It's not like the Canadian Dollar dropped again.

Sealtest

At this point I'm more worried about the arguments that will come when the prices eventually go back down to $79.99 and Amazon CS saying we won't get the reduced price on 20% off.

It was so hit and miss last year until enough people complained that Amazon actually did it correctly for people.

I love Kirby but if you told me a couple years ago there would be a $100 Kirby game I would have laughed you out of town. There's no way they actually let those be the final prices.

Right?

There was a day 20 years ago when Hexen N64 was $109.99

1 day became 300

And 300 became 700 days

Yet it stayed on the shelf, never to be dropped in price

Until one day the PS2 was released

An unstoppable money factory cleared the shelves

And it was found among a pile of VHS tapes

And movie licensed PS1 games

Ready for the dumpster

Never to be played

Yet here we are today remembering the $109 days

Stage On

At this point I'm more worried about the arguments that will come when the prices eventually go back down to $79.99 and Amazon CS saying we won't get the reduced price on 20% off.

It was so hit and miss last year until enough people complained that Amazon actually did it correctly for people.

That's why I'm making back ups orders of some games on Best buy for since they since they already took that into account.

JDH

So I'm going through my Pre-Orders and notice a handful from Amazon aren't actually 20% off (closer to like 15%)

Many of these aren't released for months/year down the line, but should I worry and contact them right away, or let it be until close to release?

i.e.: Will it "work itself out'?

chrono01

I wouldn't be surprised if BB and Amazon are both waiting until after the E3 deals are over because they know they'll sell out whether it's full price or 20% off.
Probably. :/

Thankfully it won't matter to me, as I'll get 20% off of it anyway (Prime), I just want to pre-order it before I forget and it sells out in a few hours.

Stage On

So I'm going through my Pre-Orders and notice a handful from Amazon aren't actually 20% off (closer to like 15%)

Many of these aren't released for months/year down the line, but should I worry and contact them right away, or let it be until close to release?

i.e.: Will it "work itself out'?

...oh crud now that you mention it I noticed that my order of Mario on Amazon isn't getting a proper 20% off

20% of $97.75 should $19.55 but the discount I'm seeing says it's $17.76

Eh, I only ordered tso that if they actually price matched Walmart I'd be covered. I'd have no problem kicking that order to the curb if I could just get a copy from Walmart itself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think my final damage is:

Assassin's Creed Origins
Destiny 2
Dragonball Fighters Z
Gran Turismo Sport
Gundam Versus
LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
Monster Hunter World
Need For Speed Payback
Project Cars 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
The Crew 2

...but most of those are "just in case" I become interested later on. Only in for AC:O, MvC:I, and Battlefront 2 really and maaaaaaybe Destiny 2/DBFZ/RDR2. Kind of surprising that there were barely any surprise, let alone new game announcements all throughout E3. And most were from MS.

chrono01

So there's no safe haven of "They've never updated it between midnight and 5 AM" or anything?

Hmm.. tonight may be a long night...
Nope, it sucks.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't even go up tonight, or for a few days. It took Amazon something like a week to list the Limited Edition of Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash.

You basically just have to hope that it's listed at a time that's convenient for you, otherwise...well, let's hope it doesn't sell out too fast. :/

Stage On

I wouldn't be surprised if BB and Amazon are both waiting until after the E3 deals are over because they know they'll sell out whether it's full price or 20% off.

For Best buy Collector's editions of games are not part of their E3 sale so it doesn't really matter when they would list it.

Probably. :/

Thankfully it won't matter to me, as I'll get 20% off of it anyway (Prime), I just want to pre-order it before I forget and it sells out in a few hours.

Didn't they just change Prime recently so that it doesn't effect Collectors editions anymore?

chrono01

Didn't they just change Prime recently so that it doesn't effect Collectors editions anymore?
They did? That's news to me. I thought that only applied for the E3 promotions (as it was in the previous years, anyway).

I guess I'm definitely not re-subscribing, then. I'll just pre-order my games every E3 and deal with whatever comes in-between. The whole reason I got Prime WAS FOR the Limited/Collector's Editions, since they tended to avoid promotions such as E3. If they get rid of that, I'll have no reason to stay a Prime member.

MarkusRJR

If I pre-order the games before they get the E3 deal listed on their pages, yet I still get the 20% discount listed at checkout, is it guaranteed I get the E3 discount?

Worried since I never waited for any of the 20% off promos to actually be listed on each game's pages. I pre-ordered as soon as the games I wanted were put up, and the discounts showed up when I checked out.

chrono01

If I pre-order the games before they get the E3 deal listed on their pages, yet I still get the 20% discount listed at checkout, is it guaranteed I get the E3 discount?

Worried since I never waited for any of the 20% off promos to actually be listed on each game's pages. I pre-ordered as soon as the games I wanted were put up, and the discounts showed up when I checked out.
Do you have the promotions listed in your order details? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

Stage On

They did? That's news to me. I thought that only applied for the E3 promotions (as it was in the previous years, anyway).

I guess I'm definitely not re-subscribing, then. I'll just pre-order my games every E3 and deal with whatever comes in-between. The whole reason I got Prime WAS FOR the Limited/Collector's Editions, since they tended to avoid promotions such as E3. If they get rid of that, I'll have no reason to stay a Prime member.

Yeah they also got rid of the discount for Toys to life as well which sucks for anyone collecting amiibo

JDH

Shit. 12 of my Amazon Pre-Order's actually show 16% off...

Do I really have to contact a CSR to fix this, or has anyone has experience with this?

edit: I'm dumb... I was looking at the Total with GST, not taking into account that.

Wasp14

Besides the one off glitch where I got 40% off Splatoon 2 on Amazon, all my other orders are just the E3 20% off. I was hopeful they'd so something a little extra for Prime members but nope.

Pretty much the same here.

Has anyone tried to get Amazon to add the 20% off to their $80 Kirby? It has the discount now. I am pretty confident it is going to be $80 when it releases, so I don't know whether to try and get them to add the discount to my $80 Kirby or order the $100 Kirby with the 20% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom