• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapejara

So for some reason my wife wants to play Stardew Valley.
I'm using this to finally buy a PS4 (Am on PC at this point).

Am I dumb to buy it now? There is no attractive bundle for me and black friday seems far away.
Canada GAF am I stupid?
(Not looking at the PRO btw)

Is there a reason you don't just get Stardew on PC? It has controller support if your wife prefers that over keyboard/mouse. If she prefers to play on a TV Steamlink is also an option. Edit: if you just want to use this as an excuse to buy a PS4, I don't really see an issue with buying now if you won't mind some buyer's remorse when Black Friday prices come in. It's a good system, and this year in particular has seen a lot of great PS4 games. Edit 2: Last year the big PS4 deal seemed to be a Slim + Uncharted 4 for $329 (Best Buy and EB Games; I think it was $379 regularly). I don't know whether to expect a better deal, but last year's might be a good barometer for what to expect.

chrono01

I'm Prime, and with the "Express Shipping" my Metroid Samus Returns SE (as well as two-pack Amiibo) are still listed as "Arriving 20 Sep - 22 Sep".

Man, I can't wait for the rest of my 20% pre-orders to finish next year so I can say goodbye to Prime. Unfortunately, I'm still locked in for this year so I'll have no choice but to sign up for another year, but after next year I am done with this service.

iddqd

Is there a reason you don't just get Stardew on PC? It has controller support if your wife prefers that over keyboard/mouse. If she prefers to play on a TV Steamlink is also an option. Edit: if you just want to use this as an excuse to buy a PS4, I don't really see an issue with buying now if you won't mind some buyer's remorse when Black Friday prices come in. It's a good system, and this year in particular has seen a lot of great PS4 games. Edit 2: Last year the big PS4 deal seemed to be a Slim + Uncharted 4 for $329 (Best Buy and EB Games; I think it was $379 regularly). I don't know whether to expect a better deal, but last year's might be a good barometer for what to expect.

Thanks for chiming in,
I actually did get it on Steam (I have a Link as well) but it still needs a lot of mouse navigation (in the journal etc). So its a bit of a bummer.
Going to look around, maybe someone wants to upgrade to a PRO and I get the old one. The uncharted bundle is still around but its actually "only" a 500gb Ps4. For not much less. Bummer that I don't care about the sports games (Looking at the NHL and NBA bundle)

Cake Boss

Banned
Update: I just got an email from Canada Post that it's on it's way to my local pickup spot and should be there tomorrow. I didn't want any noodles so I chose to pick it up from CP instead.

I just got my email as well! My pick up post is inside a Rexall, no noodles for me :(

I am honestly surprised that they shipped it a day before and expected delivery to be the same as release day. In Amazon's world it would have been shipped some time next week even with 1 day shipping selected, you would have to spend hours with their CS trying to figure out when it will be shipped, then a 5$ code will be given to you in order to shut up.

Legit going to start using Walmart over Amazon for my pre orders from now on. Eat shit Amazon.

I'm Prime, and with the "Express Shipping" my Metroid Samus Returns SE (as well as two-pack Amiibo) are still listed as "Arriving 20 Sep - 22 Sep".

Man, I can't wait for the rest of my 20% pre-orders to finish next year so I can say goodbye to Prime. Unfortunately, I'm still locked in for this year so I'll have no choice but to sign up for another year, but after next year I am done with this service.

You don't need to keep Prime to keep 20% off your preorders. I had a one month trial and did a bunch of preorders and they all shipped at the lower price long after my trial expired. They are not going to modify all the prices of your old orders if your Prime expires. Let it go, let it goooooo

chrono01

You don't need to keep Prime to keep 20% off your preorders. I had a one month trial and did a bunch of preorders and they all shipped at the lower price long after my trial expired. They are not going to modify all the prices of your old orders if your Prime expires. Let it go, let it goooooo
Oh, really? I've heard that if you don't have Prime when your order ships, the discount is removed and you end up paying the full price. If this isn't so, I'm definitely getting rid of it before my subscription is renewed.

Oh, really? I've heard that if you don't have Prime when your order ships, the discount is removed and you end up paying the full price. If this isn't so, I'm definitely getting rid of it before my subscription is renewed.

Trust me. I've never paid for Prime, only had the one month trial at different times, and the prices of my orders always retain the Prime discount at shipping time, even 6 months after the trial has expired. I'm sure they want you to think you need it to be current, but they never changed a single price on me.

Ventara

Trust me. I've never paid for Prime, only had the one month trial at different times, and the prices of my orders always retain the Prime discount at shipping time, even 6 months after the trial has expired. I'm sure they want you to think you need it to be current, but they never changed a single price on me.

Yup, can confirm. I've kept all my Prime discounts despite not having it anymore.

CazTGG

Not true, which is good since i'm pretty much done with Prime if the discount goes away. I'll just make as many pre-orders as possible during E3 and cancel whichever ones I lose interest in, like I did for Metroid: Samus Returns' Special Edition.

chrono01

Yup, can confirm. I've kept all my Prime discounts despite not having it anymore.

Not true, which is good since i'm pretty much done with Prime if the discount goes away. I'll just make as many pre-orders as possible during E3 and cancel whichever ones I lose interest in, like I did for Metroid: Samus Returns' Special Edition.
Awesome stuff guys, thanks. I guess I'm cancelling the subscription later this evening!

acsn

How do you check if something is eligible for release shipping on Amazon? Got an email saying my Metroid won't be delivered until the 22nd. Getting tired of nothing ever getting to me on time. Complained when my Yakuza Kiwami was late and was just told it wasn't eligible for release day shipping.

Fularu

Banned
How do you check if something is eligible for release shipping on Amazon? Got an email saying my Metroid won't be delivered until the 22nd. Getting tired of nothing ever getting to me on time. Complained when my Yakuza Kiwami was late and was just told it wasn't eligible for release day shipping.

It depends on when the supplier gives them the items and if they'Re allowed to ship them before the release date.

More often than not it's on the publisher than on Amazon (because I often get emails saying that my game is now eligible for same day delivery)

Grimsen

It depends on when the supplier gives them the items and if they'Re allowed to ship them before the release date.

More often than not it's on the publisher than on Amazon (because I often get emails saying that my game is now eligible for same day delivery)

Meanwhile, Bestbuy shipped my metroid on Wednesday.

Sealtest

For anyone interested it looks like Cineplex theatres might be getting the new Pokemon movie. I check daily and it's showing up in the search option now but currently erroring when clicking the link.

i-Lo

Because they want you to buy Prime.

...Or at least that's what I would have said if I didn't still go through the same experience even when I had a free month of Prime from the trial. I honestly have no idea.

I have been a Prime member for over 3 years and I got my copy of Destiny 2 today (residing in St. John's, NL). It's a shame and I guess it's a good thing
that most AAA games are released somewhat broken and by the time we get it courtesy of Amazon.ca there may be patches available.

Jinto

Canada Post wouldn't deliver packages the last 2 days because of road construction in front of my house. My house is like right where the construction ends, but if they can't walk 3 feet, then whatever I sort of get it.

One was supposed to be delivered yesterday, while the other one was for today. They've rescheduled both for tomorrow again. I've got news for you Canada Post...the construction is still gonna be there tomorrow!

I've called, and even though they acknowledged that this is an isolated type of incident, they can't do anything about it. I can't pick it up or anything. WTF man.

One of the items is a limited edition I can't get anymore. They better not screw me over.

Edit: Amazon just shipped Samus Returns. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad they used Intelcom.

chrono01

Your argument that it's the publisher makes no sense.

It's 100% Amazon delaying free shipping to push people to pay for express.

I thought my reply was fairly obvious.
Amazon is delaying express shipping too, since I'm a Prime member and my copy is scheduled to ship on Monday. Same goes for my two-pack Metroid Amiibo. Basically, it's just another example of Amazon being horrible at shipping things out on-time (as they usually are).

Thankfully, with me now knowing that I don't need to keep the Prime service for pre-orders already placed, I can leave Amazon behind and place my pre-orders at retailers that actually do their jobs (without you needing to physically contact them to have your order pushed ahead to where it should have been in the first place).

Goodbye, Amazon. I won't miss you.

Dunlop

I have been a Prime member for over 3 years and I got my copy of Destiny 2 today (residing in St. John's, NL). It's a shame and I guess it's a good thing
that most AAA games are released somewhat broken and by the time we get it courtesy of Amazon.ca there may be patches available.
I would have had the same problem, I sent then an email asking then to explain why I'm waiting on a pre-order and they 1 day shipped it.

chrono01

I would have had the same problem, I sent then an email asking then to explain why I'm waiting on a pre-order and they 1 day shipped it.
What's their email? I'm thinking of contacting them to see if I can get my Metroid/Amiibo pushed up, but I can only see an option to contact them via phone or chat.

its not friday yet, so wait until then to bitch and whine like little spoiled brats, cause chances are if it shipped today, you're getting it tomorrow and if not, its the couriers fault and not amazon

Grimsen

Amazon is delaying express shipping too, since I'm a Prime member and my copy is scheduled to ship on Monday. Same goes for my two-pack Metroid Amiibo. Basically, it's just another example of Amazon being horrible at shipping things out on-time (as they usually are).

Thankfully, with me now knowing that I don't need to keep the Prime service for pre-orders already placed, I can leave Amazon behind and place my pre-orders at retailers that actually do their jobs (without you needing to physically contact them to have your order pushed ahead to where it should have been in the first place).

Goodbye, Amazon. I won't miss you.

Yeah, I heard abput that, it's infuriating.

I dont have prime, and I'm a cheap ass, so for a while I just grit my teeth. I got fed up with the last one though.

The weekend before Mario x rabbids came out, I fiddled with the shipping options, and the game was definitely shippable before release, but my free shipping option was only scheduled to ship on the Friday after.

I called them up, and they gave me the runaround, saying they didn't know why it wasn't shipping before September 1st. They even promised to call me back to see if it had shipped. (They never called me back)

Ended up with 25$ credit. Not worth the hassle. I'm keeping my Walmart 50$ pre-orders, and only have a handful left with Amazon.

Kyolux

Oh shit, good luck!

Take care, hope everything goes well.

Take care!

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Best of luck, if we don't hear back from you, then we know what happened lol

When you wake up all the SNES Classics will be sold.

SOLD.

Be well.

Speaking of SNES Classics, just saw this on amazon.ca so guessing no pre orders:

good luck!

Best of luck!

Best wishes, hopefully you get ice cream when you wake up. That's something adults also get, right?

Best of luck, Kyolux!

Good luck and best wishes!!

Best of luck!

good luck!

Thanks everyone! :D

I just got home tonight. They let me out early since I was doing pretty good.

Love you guys!

See you on the other side! I'm getting surgery tomorrow morning.

(take 2, first try was delayed last minute)

Get well soon! I too had surgery (two actually) back in June, as I said when I finally came back after a two month stay in the hospital. So know you have someone here who's been in your shoes! :)

Edit: Well, you had a few day stay, BUT STILL! :p

Savitar

I said it before and I'll say it again, if you want a game to be shipped on time or even maybe a day early use Ebgames, I know a lot don't like them but they are faster than Amazon.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Has anyone seen any info on wether or not the Doritos Xbox one x giveaway is coming to Canada?

I dont have an answer to your question but can I just say you have the best tag ever?

Fularu

Banned
Your argument that it's the publisher makes no sense.

It's 100% Amazon delaying free shipping to push people to pay for express.

I thought my reply was fairly obvious.

So you believe Amazon is purposefully making its customers unhappy and angry just so they can leave for competitors?

I guess I have a bridge to sell you and a tinfoil hat.

As far as Amazon goes, only games are having issues, everything else ships on the day I order it, even with free shipping. It's far more likely Amazon Canada has some publishers/sellers issues on some titles rather than "RAWR I'M GOING TO DELAY YOUR GAME JUST BECAUSE". Also prime clearly states that only eligible titles (those they can secure early enough) are eligible for same day delivery. Whenever a title is bumped to release day delivery, it never fails to show up on time on my end.

I wonder how much it'll be...

I want that artbook, but I also have a $50 pre-order...

Expect 129.99 CND, maybe 139.99. Can't really be more than that because we would be entering twice the price territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom