• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

timnich

Anyone know where I can find a good price for an off contract iPhone 6 or 6S? Trying to avoid Kijiji or eBay as I don't want to get stuck with a blacklisted device.

khaaan

I had a photography related question and was wondering if someone could help.

A friend of mine bought this and he let me play around with it. I really enjoyed it and am considering getting it but I also found this and am wondering what the difference is. Is the first one a metaphorical GTX titan?

Edit: Nevermind =P
Did a little bit of digging and it seems the main difference is faster shooting, a touchscreen, and a little higher ISO. Whether that's worth $300 more to me is a debate I'll have to have.

nordique

Anyone know where I can find a good price for an off contract iPhone 6 or 6S? Trying to avoid Kijiji or eBay as I don't want to get stuck with a blacklisted device.

Swappa or Orchard as mentioned above, eBay is a safe too given you are pretty secure if you pay with paypal....I've never had a blacklisted device from kijiji (just check the IMEI when you buy it) and generally you can tell from the sellers and how they speak (for the most part)...might be a good route not to exclude simply because you get devices for cheaper

Also, go with the 6s. Not worth the difference in price for the difference in performance/features from a used perspective (6s will last longer, it has more in common spec wise and feature wise with the 7, whereas the 6 is more or less a 5s in a new design....not that that's a bad thing as 5s and 6 are still fast and functional on latest software, but in 2017, it's worth getting the newer device that will likely give you a better experience unless you don't care about performance and future proofing at all)

I had a photography related question and was wondering if someone could help.

A friend of mine bought this and he let me play around with it. I really enjoyed it and am considering getting it but I also found this and am wondering what the difference is. Is the first one a metaphorical GTX titan?

Edit: Nevermind =P
Did a little bit of digging and it seems the main difference is faster shooting, a touchscreen, and a little higher ISO. Whether that's worth $300 more to me is a debate I'll have to have.

Those features are generally not with an extra $300, which is like a 60% increase in price vs the standard T5. Higher ISO only matters if you are going to be doing lots of low light shooting, and generally its software ISO which is pretty much trash anyway.

Faster shooting is OK, but are you going to do a lot of intense shooting at moving subjects? My SL1 bursts at about 5 shots before the buffer fills and needs to wait to load it to the memory card. I do sometimes take my camera on hikes to capture wildlife/nature shots, but I have never had issue with the 5 shot buffer.

Touchscreen is maybe the only thing you might really want. My SL1 has it but I always end up using the key controls, I had a Rebel XS for a long time so I am naturally acclimated to the arrow keys.

To be honest if you are just starting out with photography and are learning from scratch I think $500 is a bit much to spend for just a base kit. You would be better off buying a used T3/T3i or even Rebel XS (older model without video capture) for closer to 200-300, and maybe save the extra cash for a zoom or portrait lens (depending on what you find interesting to shoot). Maybe take your friend along with help you buy your own gear, if they are experienced they can help you figure out what you need and what you don't.

You ever have that one thing you can never sell? Well I've been waiting 45 minutes for a buyer who hasn't shown up or replied to my messages. At least the last buyer had the courtesy to cancel just before meeting up.

You ever have that one thing you can never sell? Well I've been waiting 45 minutes for a buyer who hasn't shown up or replied to my messages. At least the last buyer had the courtesy to cancel just before meeting up.
Been trying to sell a copy of halo wars 2 for a friend and I've gotten 0 responses in over a month.

khaaan

Those features are generally not with an extra $300, which is like a 60% increase in price vs the standard T5. Higher ISO only matters if you are going to be doing lots of low light shooting, and generally its software ISO which is pretty much trash anyway.

Faster shooting is OK, but are you going to do a lot of intense shooting at moving subjects? My SL1 bursts at about 5 shots before the buffer fills and needs to wait to load it to the memory card. I do sometimes take my camera on hikes to capture wildlife/nature shots, but I have never had issue with the 5 shot buffer.

Touchscreen is maybe the only thing you might really want. My SL1 has it but I always end up using the key controls, I had a Rebel XS for a long time so I am naturally acclimated to the arrow keys.

To be honest if you are just starting out with photography and are learning from scratch I think $500 is a bit much to spend for just a base kit. You would be better off buying a used T3/T3i or even Rebel XS (older model without video capture) for closer to 200-300, and maybe save the extra cash for a zoom or portrait lens (depending on what you find interesting to shoot). Maybe take your friend along with help you buy your own gear, if they are experienced they can help you figure out what you need and what you don't.

Hmm, thanks for the info. Gives me a lot to think about.

I mean if I should just stick with cheaper models I do have an old Powershot G6 sitting somewhere at home. A lot of people have told me in the past that as far as learning goes that's plenty and I did take a class with it (many years ago at this point). I guess if I do look for a T3 I'd have to look in the used market? I did a quick search and on Amazon there's less than a $100 difference between T3 and T5 while the Canon estore doesn't seem to have anything below a T5 in stock.

I mean if I should just stick with cheaper models I do have an old Powershot G6 sitting somewhere at home. A lot of people have told me in the past that as far as learning goes that's plenty and I did take a class with it (many years ago at this point). I guess if I do look for a T3 I'd have to look in the used market? I did a quick search and on Amazon there's less than a $100 difference between T3 and T5 while the Canon estore doesn't seem to have anything below a T5 in stock.

The difference with a Powershot or an old prosumer digital camera (or even the newer "midrange" prosumers with longer fixed lenses) and a interchangeable lens reflex camera is primarily versatility. You can capture all around better shots with a Rebel T3/5 where you can quickly adjust aperture and shutter speed and use the right lens for the right job versus using a digital mirrorless with a decent sensor the lens of which is basically designed to shoot still or video in well lit outdoor conditions. Its like the difference between using your phone camera and a proper camera. Yes, your phone captures OK photos most of the time, but indoors or in poor lighting conditions it suffers noticeably. That would be the biggest reason to get a DSLR: you can adjust your gear to the situation you are shooting in to get the best possible picture.

Used market is what I recommend for basically anybody just starting out, I have bought and sold most of the gear I own on Kijiji and Craigslist. You can get good deals on gear there as there are lots of people with basically the same 5-6 or so models of camera all offering widely different prices and combinations of gear which leaves you a good amount of room to haggle. Also don't bother with crap like camera bags or lens filters, tell them to take those off the cost or throw them in for free. The good things you want with your camera are good quality lenses (portrait, macro or telephoto, in that order) and OEM batteries (if they are offering aftermarket replacement batteries do your research and verify they are quality). The T3 seems to be discontinued as Canon moves it range up to T5 being the lower end model and the T6 being midrange and the T7 being the most expensive midrange, but the T3 and T2 models used offer just as good a selection of features that most people nowadays want if you get them at a good price. Look at your local used market and get a sense of the average resale price and what a good price to beat would be using your budget as a guideline and go from there.

It really depends on what you want to get out of photography (or what you want to learn). If you're just worried about things like good composition, literally any camera will work. If you want to learn the ins and outs of shutter speed, aperture, etc., then almost any camera will work in theory, but lots of lower-end cameras are really designed first for full automatic use and so make manual control more of a pain than it needs to be. If you want to shoot sports/fast motion, or low-light (concerts, night shots, photos of friends in bars), you have to start looking outside of smartphones and compact cameras to an extent. The main reasons you buy something like that Rebel T5/T5i are the ability to swap lenses (obvious); better performance (obvious); and much better usability (not so obvious).

Swapping lenses is pretty awesome, especially as it allows access to much "faster" lenses than compact cameras (which do better in low light and have a narrower depth of field when shot wide open = that classy "professional" portrait look), but the downside is you either buy a shitty zoom lens that isn't much better than a compact, a great zoom lens that's kind of heavy and expensive, or a bunch of prime lenses that you'll need to swap on occasion and take up room/weight.

Better performance has obvious merits, but you may not actually require those capabilities just yet. Even smartphones are generally quite good these days at taking pictures in decent light, and many people use DSLRs as glorified snapshot machines that don't actually do much more than their phones can. When you start getting into low-light stuff or want that blurry background look, or if you need continuous shooting or other higher-end features, that's when DSLRs and mirrorless make more sense. Note that you definitely don't have to be a professional to want any of the above (lots of amateurs and hobbyists make good use of those higher-end options), but it's probably good if you know why you'd want those features.

Better ergonomics and controls are the secret biggest reason to bother with mirrorless and DSLR. Having semi-dedicated controls to adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO and more are what really make the difference between something that takes pictures and something that feels like it was MEANT to take pictures. I own a few cameras, including a Sony RX100 III that I took to Japan as my sole vacation camera, and that little compact was surprisingly up to the task. It, or something like it, is actually my default recommendation to most people. And yet, because it's a compact camera it's got fewer dedicated controls and buttons, so using it for manual exposure is arguably more of a pain. It has an electronic viewfinder you can use in a pinch, and it's actually pretty decent, but that viewfinder sucks up battery like nothing else (more so than the screen, surprisingly!). In general, it's always obvious that you've got this device between you and the photo you want to take that kind of gets in the way a bit.

I also have a Nikon D7000, and despite the fact that it's heavier and bulkier than everything else I own, it's the camera I take when I just want to get the shot. Everything about its operation feels like it was designed to get out of your way. The viewfinder is optical, which means no lag in low-light conditions and no battery drain. It's quick and fast and all the controls you need on a regular basis are at your fingertips, and then some. It's hard to put a price on something like that, but it's definitely there.

That said, most of the time the D7000 sits at home because it's so bulky, and because my main use for it was taking concert shots, which is really difficult to do these days because most venues don't want you coming in with a fancy camera. All of this is to say that there are tons of considerations when it comes to "what should I shoot?" and it's not always clear that the fanciest, biggest camera will be the one you like the most. A DSLR won't automatically mean that you take better shots out of the box, but it does mean that you have a lot more options when it comes to improving your kit to take photos you couldn't otherwise get. Think about whether there's something you want your G6 to do that it can't do very well right now; that's your best bet for figuring out if you need a fancier camera or not.

(okay okay, back to game deals, sorry!)

Ondore

Just put an order in for Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World (the bundle) on Amazon and the Prime discount applied. Not complaining, just... weird.

I'm planning on moving out of Canada temporarily and in an effort to take as little with me as possible, I was considering selling my ps4 and then picking up a ps4 pro in the USA. As long as I backup my saves online and then deactivate the old ps4 before selling it, and setup the ps4 pro with my Canadian PSN account, I should have access to all my digital games/saves, right?

If I order it right now, will the prime discount eventually apply? What if the steel book is added on?

Not sure. I want to say I've seen my orders update before, but I can't remember for sure. Safest bet would just be to put in a pre-order now and if it doesn't update properly, cancel and pre-order again with the Prime discount (and if they do the steelbook). You could also just wait to be sure; I don't think Amazon's going to suddenly run out of pre-orders or anything. I love Wipeout and am extra paranoid so I took the safe route.

antibolo

Banned
I'm planning on moving out of Canada temporarily and in an effort to take as little with me as possible, I was considering selling my ps4 and then picking up a ps4 pro in the USA. As long as I backup my saves online and then deactivate the old ps4 before selling it, and setup the ps4 pro with my Canadian PSN account, I should have access to all my digital games/saves, right?

Yes, but you should also do a backup to a USB device.

Got a question: For people who have Switch, which case did you get for it? I'm looking at the Hori and the official Nintendo case and was wondering which one was better....

Sealtest

Got a question: For people who have Switch, which case did you get for it? I'm looking at the Hori and the official Nintendo case and was wondering which one was better....

I'm 100% Hori. I myself bought the Zelda SE for the case that comes with it and I'm really disappointed with how loose the system is in it. And will eventually buy a Hori one becuase well I've always bought hori so I'm a little biased.

soultron

Banned
I got the HORI Tough Pouch or whatever it's called and it's fantastic. I carry the wrist straps in it too but you could easily swap them out for a *very thin* power bank and/or a USB-C cable.

The Switch fits very securely without sliding and the screen cover flap is a nice addition. On the side that's opposite the Switch, you can store the straps and some game cards. That or a power bank and a cable, as I mentioned above.

balohna

Kirby Planet Robobot is $39.99 at shoppers this week

I think that might be the first time I've seen it on sale?

I didn't check the price, but I saw it in a bargain bin at The Source. Actually, that whole bin had some gems (I think I saw MGSV Complete as well) but nothing I needed so I didn't look at prices.

Also, +1 for HORI switch case. I like it a lot.

eyesradar

I'm 100% Hori. I myself bought the Zelda SE for the case that comes with it and I'm really disappointed with how loose the system is in it. And will eventually buy a Hori one becuase well I've always bought hori so I'm a little biased.

I use my Zelda SE Case everyday tho. I pretty much pack everything I needed(battery/EarPods/straps/USBC cable and charger) in. My Switch is always in place. But I guess if you just carry the console around that case is indeed too big.

Lexxism

The butterfox case @ amazon is also good though it is 29.99. That might be pricey for you

Zekes!

I thought about making a thread, but figured this would be a good place to ask this:

Do you guys have any recommendations for budget laptops? My mom is wanting a something cheap for her to write resumes on, 'cause her iPad isn't cutting it. I think her price point is around $300. I saw some cheap Chromebooks, but I don't think she'll understand them.

Sealtest

But I guess if you just carry the console around that case is indeed too big.

I usually just throw my switch in there and keep everything else separate. Guess I'm just used to how I did things with my DS and 3DS. Might be time I start packing in my cables as well.

I thought about making a thread, but figured this would be a good place to ask this:

Do you guys have any recommendations for budget laptops? My mom is wanting a something cheap for her to write resumes on, 'cause her iPad isn't cutting it. I think her price point is around $300. I saw some cheap Chromebooks, but I don't think she'll understand them.

HP Stream are good for what you described. Entering year 3 and my teacher friend still likes it.

eyesradar

If you are okay w/ refurbs definitely look into refurb.io.

Ventara

Do those $5 Extra Trade-In Credit coupons at EB Games work with any game? Like, would it work with Animal Crossing: New Leaf?

Should be any game. As far as I know, even games that trade in for like 10 cents. Though maybe not for systems they've stopped accepting, like Wii and DS.

kurahadol

Random question if anyone has any insight (only place I can find a group of Canucks with knowledge of Bell!)

We're going through some renovations and we are looking to hide our Bell Fibre Op box (Arris VIP 2262) in a cabinet. This brings on an issue since it breaks the line of sight for the IR. I was looking into IR extenders/repeaters but read that a lot do not work with the Arris VIP 2262. Can anyone offer any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

Should be any game. As far as I know, even games that trade in for like 10 cents. Though maybe not for systems they've stopped accepting, like Wii and DS.
I just did a big cleansing of PS4 and Wii U games that I didn't want anymore, so now all I'm left with are some 3DS, Vita, and PS3 games. If only they had sent me that coupon two days ago, lmao. Hopefully AC:NL will still have some value to it, since it just got the Welcome amiibo update and whatnot.

Thanks for the quick response!

MrFlooD

Random question if anyone has any insight (only place I can find a group of Canucks with knowledge of Bell!)

We're going through some renovations and we are looking to hide our Bell Fibre Op box (Arris VIP 2262) in a cabinet. This brings on an issue since it breaks the line of sight for the IR. I was looking into IR extenders/repeaters but read that a lot do not work with the Arris VIP 2262. Can anyone offer any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

You need to make sure the IR extender supports 60khz. Most cheap ones only do 40khz.

antibolo

Banned

Why not just get a keyboard cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom