• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmmmm, the AC1900 or AC3200 look good.

Yea my connection drops at least twice a day, but I think that's more to do with a faulty cable so they'll have to come fix that, butcan't I just disable the WiFi myself? In the 192.168.0.1 page.

As long as the login is still the same.

user: cusadmin
password: password

Then just set it to bridge mode.

In the past they used to cycle the user/password since they didn't want to give users access to it. At that time, I had to call in. Didn't realize they just made it public now.

Here's some info for the login, in case it doesn't work:
http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/181

Munro77

Neo Member
pretty quiet outside my SDM, was expecting a small line

Only for $251 total after the $200 off deal

Feels good monicas

Edit, i guess i should go back and get zelda, just realized i got bonus points for spending $100+ lol

How did you just happen to find a Switch at SDM? Did they get a batch in???

Mr.Towel

Thanks for the heads up about the Shopper's points deal, my neighbourhood store still had some switches in stock. Finally all those years of saving up points does something.

ObscureMotives

Neo Member
Anybody in the Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton area know of a shoppers drug Mart that has Mario kart? The only one I know that carries games didn't have any, and I'd really like to get it this weekend with the point redemption bonus.

farisr

The dreamer in me is hoping for 30% off.
There is a possibility that it'll be 15-20% for non-prime and 30% for prime members.
But just looking at the general trend of deals, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any deal due to Prime discount being a thing.

Walmart's random 49.99 pricing will be our best bet for a good deal honestly.

NYR

They give 20% off now. They have no need to give anything extra because then it devalues Prime year round which is what they really want to sell. If they do an additional discount, it gives people an incentive not to order until June annually. Doesn't make business sense.

Quite frankly, the fact we have a system that gives you 20% off newly released games within two weeks or to be released games anytime you want is pretty amazing.

I only expect a handful of $49.99 games like last year led by walmart and matched accordingly. No one should be complaining about it.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
No, not when they already do 20% off preorders now.

I was speaking more about Best Buy.

So you're expecting Best Buy (the better retailer) to do the reward zone crap again?

Quite frankly, the fact we have a system that gives you 20% off newly released games within two weeks or to be released games anytime you want is pretty amazing.
Not at that cost.

30% off with no strings attached was amazing, 20% off with a membership fee is not.

farisr

No one should be complaining about it.
When you had deals in the past that gave 30% off for preorders without any membership required, and the fact that this 20% off benefit is from a yearly membership, it's not so amazing. People can and should complain if they feel it's not worth it.

As a Prime member, I think it would totally be worth complaining about a promotion disappearing for non-Prime members. If absolutely nothing else, it means the people who would buy games during E3 now get a significantly worse deal because they'll have to pay $80 for the privilege. Or in other words, it's a discount that only kicks in after you've purchased five full-price games. Buy five, get 20% off your subsequent games. Not a particularly compelling proposition.

Yeah, there are other benefits to Prime, and yeah, you don't have to wait for E3 anymore, and yeah, you can wait until a game actually releases, see if it's good, and then buy with the 20% discount. But for someone who is completely uninterested in those benefits, or someone who doesn't want to pay the additional fee on principle, it's hard to argue the service hasn't gotten worse. Moreover, it also means Best Buy has less incentive to compete with their own deal, since they don't have a paid-membership option to push.

diaspora

As a Prime member, I think it would totally be worth complaining about a promotion disappearing for non-Prime members. If absolutely nothing else, it means the people who would buy games during E3 now get a significantly worse deal because they'll have to pay $80 for the privilege. Or in other words, it's a discount that only kicks in after you've purchased five full-price games. Buy five, get 20% off your subsequent games. Not a particularly compelling proposition.

Yeah, there are other benefits to Prime, and yeah, you don't have to wait for E3 anymore, and yeah, you can wait until a game actually releases, see if it's good, and then buy with the 20% discount. But for someone who is completely uninterested in those benefits, or someone who doesn't want to pay the additional fee on principle, it's hard to argue the service hasn't gotten worse. Moreover, it also means Best Buy has less incentive to compete with their own deal, since they don't have a paid-membership option to push.
I mean...

As someone that was a Prime member anyway ($40/yr) the status quo is better than 20% for everyone but only during E3.

Draysoth

Anybody in the Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton area know of a shoppers drug Mart that has Mario kart? The only one I know that carries games didn't have any, and I'd really like to get it this weekend with the point redemption bonus.
Call/try Grimsby? I picked it up this morning there.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Almost certainly the most obvious answer, but I'll ask just in case. If you activate a Prime free trial and the game releases during that free trial, you get the game at 20% off like every other Prime member, right?

Just making sure there's not some weird fine print I missed.

any accessories suggestions for the nintendo switch?

Anything in particular?

Case: RDS traveler, hori tough, surge (best buy), orzly

Screen: all seem fine, nintendo, hori (plastic), orzly glass,and some other brand starts with an "A"

Joy con skins, order from ebay/asia

There were only 1 or 2 things that were not really recommended, most accessories so far have a following.

diaspora

Almost certainly the most obvious answer, but I'll ask just in case. If you activate a Prime free trial and the game releases during that free trial, you get the game at 20% off like every other Prime member, right?

Just making sure there's not some weird fine print I missed.

If your order and the release both happen during the duration of your time as a prime member, you're good.

I was speaking more about Best Buy.

So you're expecting Best Buy (the better retailer) to do the reward zone crap again?
Best Buy doesn't even let you change your payment method without contacting support if at all iirc.

tsundoku

Man WTF ever happened to the Hori Pad wired controller for switch. I just checked and EBgames still has my order open and the interest free loan i loathe giving them but the product seems to have been excised from their website

TechJunk

Was able to snag a NES classic yesterday with Best Buy, but card has not been charged yet... Anybody else in the same position? Usually BB is quick about getting stuff shipped. And now I'm worried my order will get cancelled and I'll be out a NES classic...

Man WTF ever happened to the Hori Pad wired controller for switch. I just checked and EBgames still has my order open and the interest free loan i loathe giving them but the product seems to have been excised from their website

it seems to have disappeared in general, cant find any proof it still exists

Grimsen

No Screen Protector?

Orzly, definitely.

I keep forgetting it's there.
giphy.gif

Stage On

For Prime It's the fact that you have to buy five full price games first before you even start saving money that kills it for me. Well that and the fact that you can get a bunch of games cheaper then a measly 20% off if you wait about a month.

Was able to snag a NES classic yesterday with Best Buy, but card has not been charged yet... Anybody else in the same position? Usually BB is quick about getting stuff shipped. And now I'm worried my order will get cancelled and I'll be out a NES classic...

Already got my ship notice. Give them a call and check on your order.

For Prime It's the fact that you have to buy five full price games first before you even start saving money that kills it for me. Well that and the fact that you can get a bunch of games cheaper then a measly 20% off if you wait about a month.

That's only true for non-Nintendo games or niche games. I mean, the games I buy tend to go out of print before they go down in price...

Vinc

Yes, and the amount of pricing issues they have is insane. Combine that with the fact that discounts don't even stack and it's just not a good deal to get Prime. I have it, but I don't plan to renew unless they sweeten the deal significantly. I've had so many issues so far, it's not even funny.

eyesradar

Saw some NS copies of MK8D at the New/Appleby SDM when I was there this afternoon.

Luigi87

I just remembered that I own a tri-wedge screwdriver and had conductive foam I snagged from work last year when I was making a cosplay, so I just fixed my left joy-con no problem.
I wasn't gonna bother doing anything, then it dropped while I was playing Mario Kart, and that prompted me to act, lol

SickBoy

I don't​ think Prime is likely worth it for people who are only buying games (at least,it wouldn't be with what I buy in a year).

The game discounts help justify its price for me, but so do having a secondary backup venue for my photo library and now Prime Video (and the free stuff via Twitch). Plus I order other stuff from Amazon semi regularly and there are probably some savings from not having to purchase filler items to get free shipping ;)

I'm pretty sure Prime saves me *some* money, but I doubt it's a ton.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't​ think Prime is likely worth it for people who are only buying games (at least,it wouldn't be with what I buy in a year).

The game discounts help justify its price for me, but so do having a secondary backup venue for my photo library and now Prime Video (and the free stuff via Twitch). Plus I order othrr stuff from Amazon semi regularly and there are probably some savings from not having to purchase filler items to get free shipping ;)

I'm pretty sure Prime saves me *some* money, but I doubt it's a ton.
With proxies, at least you have access to the US video library which makes it somewhat worth it. And you get free anime here since they haven't introduced the separate video services in Canada yet.

Honestly, it feels like you need to have it just so the support people care about you. lol

kevin1025

Banned
It still blows my mind that Amazon isn't releasing their shows day and date on the Canada side, too. Still waiting on Patriot, and Catastrophe's third season just went up on the US side and they haven't thrown any of the series on there since Shomi lost the rights. What a bunch of monsters! First they're stingy on release date delivery on games, now they won't do it on their own shows!

It still blows my mind that Amazon isn't releasing their shows day and date on the Canada side, too. Still waiting on Patriot, and Catastrophe's third season just went up on the US side and they haven't thrown any of the series on there since Shomi lost the rights. What a bunch of monsters! First they're stingy on release date delivery on games, now they won't do it on their own shows!

Amazon Prime Video in Canada is abysmal. A laughably small selection of TV shows and movies. I was expecting them to expand the library much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom