• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 biohazard has shipped 2.5M copies

I was so much against buying it because of first person and the demo that resembles P.T. but my son made me buy it on day one and I am happy with it

Toxi

Banned
Well, in all fairness fighting games aren't really popular anymore. Resident Evil is a bigger franchise that Street Fighter also, I think.
"Fighting games aren't really popular anymore" is just code for "Street Fighter isn't really popular anymore." Mortal Kombat and Smash are still sales juggernauts, and everything else is doing roughly as well for itself as ever.

"Fighting games aren't really popular anymore" is just code for "Street Fighter isn't really popular anymore." Mortal Kombat and Smash are still sales juggernauts, and everything else is doing roughly as well for itself as ever.

Indeed. And both Injustice 2 and Marvel vs Capcom are going to sell very well this year. Likely Tekken 7 will as well

The problem with SFV is Capcom failed to capture the attention of anyone other than the hardcore fighting game community crowd.

Sojiro

Game is fucking awesome, I am still trucking through it, and loving every minute. Hoping to see it do really well.

ArchAngel

Didn't like the first demo, didn't even have any intentions to buy this. Will buy the game today because every forum is hyping it. Well done, guys!

liquidtmd

Banned
5 and 6 will probably outsell 7 by a mile for the simple fact they had familiar faces. I absolutely despised 6 but it's still in my collection because it had some classic characters. On the other hand, 7 looks better than 6 but I'm not interested in buying it at full price because the lack of interesting characters, if that helps explain anything.

This is amusing to me. I love classic Resident Evil as much as the next guy I truly do but people really buy the titles dependent on whether they feature the definitely not interchangable charasmastic as cardboard Chris Redfield, whatever the hell they feel like making Jill Valentine that day and cheese master Albert Wesker??

The characterisation of the Baker's is amongst the best character work the Resident Evil series has ever done and Ethan's plight is up there as good as any.

This is amusing to me. I love classic Resident Evil as much as the next guy I truly do but people really buy the titles dependent on whether they feature the definitely not interchangable charasmastic as cardboard Chris Redfield, whatever the hell like like making Jill Valentine that day and cheese master Albert Wesker??

The characterisation of the Baker's is amongst the best character work the Resident Evil series has ever done and Ethan's plight is up there as good as any.

It's not a matter of quality as it is just brand recognition. You put Leon, Jill, or Chris on the cover and the game could sell itself. 7 was a risk in every sense of the word and for the first time I really don't know what they plan to do with the series. But it's in a good place, at least for the moment.

I feel so bad for Street Fighter

Don't. They made their bed etc.

Their latest character changes were a lot of what players didn't want, so it's their issue now.

Good on RE7 and Capcom though, I have it installed but wanted to record some blind content with it and doing that while having a bad cold is nooooo good.

Wild Card

Indeed. And both Injustice 2 and Marvel vs Capcom are going to sell very well this year. Likely Tekken 7 will as well

The problem with SFV is Capcom failed to capture the attention of anyone other than the hardcore fighting game community crowd.

All those game have huge casual appeal. I think even if Street Fighter had come out perfect, it wouldn't be able to hang with any of those (certainly better though), people got their fill with SFIV. I also wouldn't be so sure of Tekken 7 having guaranteed great sales, though I sure do hope so, game looks great.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hopefully it goes on to sell really well, they listened to what the fans wanted and made a great game so they deserve it.

Damn when you combine the game sales with the movie revenue RE is one of the biggest and most successful videogames IPs ever.

As someone that loves RE, I should probably hate those movies, but I don't. They are high-budget B-Movies with ridiculous action scenes and the odd RE character/enemy thrown in. The are damn enjoyable.

Bruno MB

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard initial shipment + digital has already matched the lifetime total of Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC / PS2) and also Resident Evil Remake + Resident Evil 0 for GameCube.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC) - 1.14m
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (PS2) - 1.4m

Total - 2.54m

Resident Evil (GC) - 1.35m
Resident Evil 0 (GC) - 1.25m

Total - 2.60m

kromeo

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard initial shipment + digital has already matched the lifetime total of Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC / PS2) and also Resident Evil Remake + Resident Evil 0 for GameCube.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC) - 1.14m
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (PS2) - 1.4m

Total - 2.54m

Resident Evil (GC) - 1.35m
Resident Evil 0 (GC) - 1.25m

Total - 2.60m

Veronica so misunderstood :(

First person or not I hope they stick with the direction they've gone for 7

It's not a matter of quality as it is just brand recognition. You put Leon, Jill, or Chris on the cover and the game could sell itself. 7 was a risk in every sense of the word and for the first time I really don't know what they plan to do with the series. But it's in a good place, at least for the moment.

Gotta disagree with you there. 6 had Leono and crew, and coming from an original RE fan that game blew ass. The characters in RE are not really all that special. Sure you can recognize them, but it's nothing that will ever make me buy a game

Mieu

So, the ambitious 4M day 1 sales were not met.

BUT 2.5M copies?! It's already great! I hope they made a profit out of it.

Trickster

Well deserved.

Personally wasn't sold on the game at all based on the demo or footage. However I bought the game because of reviews and impressions, and also in part to support capcom for moving away from the terrible direction the series had taken since RE4. And I have been very pleasantly surprised overall.

Good to hear. I haven't played a mainline RE title since 4( played a bit of Revealations on 3DS). RE7 VR is pushing me to get a ps vr unit as soon as I can find one.

allan-bh

It's not a great mark for RE standards, but they chose a new path, so this could happen. In the long run the changes can pay off.

Hope this sells 15 mill,is that doable GAF?

this games something else, that is why i treasure gms like Until Dawn, RE7 and Evil Within..because they drop once in the blue moon.

Hope this sells 15 mill,is that doable GAF?

this games something else, that is why i treasure gms like Until Dawn, RE7 and Evil Within..because they drop once in the blue moon.

Absolutely not. 5 to 6 million is realistic. 7/8 million would be amazing and the best-selling RE ever. It is a horror game which limits the audience a bit.

Why are people congratulating? Wouldn't they ship 2.5 million no matter what?

I guess in my mind, I'm pushing for this game to be successful because I believe it's going to drive PSVR sales( which I'm also hoping will be a successful platform). I mean this is the first game that, for me, justifies the cost of a PSVR unit.

Top Bottom