• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

Grifter

Cool, the other thread got intimidatingly long. I'll refer to that regularly.

Had a guest staying this weekend and rushed my moves... and my ELO sunk like a boulder. Played 3 RL newbie friends who bought the app on my recommendation so I thought I could screw around... then they started mimicking my dumb moves and the board became a clusterfuck so there went 30-odd ELO. :lol

Played the board game version for the first time last night, 4p with alcohol and me helping with moves and I managed to lose every game!

AirBrian

AstroLad said:
:lol i hate five-player games. and yet somehow i love them . . . for the same reasons i hate them
They piss me off and make me laugh at the same time!

I love when someone tries to build a solo city, gets like 1 or two tiles away from completion, only to turn into a mega-city with everyone on the board. :lol You know that person's thoughts change from "Ha, I'm going to get a city past these bastards!" to "I hate this game."

Slacker

Carcassonne buddies feel free to add me on Game Center. Username is Slacker. Woot!

Hopefully we'll see some support for it real soon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Slacker said:
If you're asking about a GameCenter update, someone on Twitter asked them when it would be ready, hoping that it would only be a few weeks. They responded: @nikf it's on our agenda, but "next few weeks" might be overly optimistic.

http://twitter.com/CarcassonneApp
I wonder what they are doing down there. Feel bad for the iPad folks; I know the game looks pretty nice even at the lower res, but that version has been a long time coming now. Some other things I'd like to see that I know we probably never will:

-Better stat tracking. Even just a historical list of games but they could do so much more with it. Thank God for ELO I suppose so that there's at least some persistence.

-Better chatting and friends system. It's been really messed up for me recently. Like I have to go into chat itself because I'm missing chats constantly. Also you should just be thrown into and remain in a lobby post-game so that there can be a bit of post-game banter instead of being forced to quit out basically once the final tile is placed. Also you should be at least able to add people post-game, and search and add by username. The email-only thing is silly.

-EXPANSIONS. Ugh, what I wouldn't do for some expansions. I know this is probably a total pipe dream though.

Slacker

I'm pretty sure they mentioned expansions at one point, but obviously they'll likely be a long time coming. I'd love to see that too.

And GameCenter support will take care of the add-people-by-email-address problem.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just bought the game and have never played it before, so I'm going to be worse than awful. GC id is Minsc, hopefully I can get some practice in before the update rolls out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
pm me your email and i'll add you and get some gaf games with you going. don't forget the tutorial (which is pretty good) and a quick readthrough of the in-game rules (unless you want to learn on the fly, which some people have done!)

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
pm me your email and i'll add you and get some gaf games with you going. don't forget the tutorial (which is pretty good) and a quick readthrough of the in-game rules (unless you want to learn on the fly, which some people have done!)

Yea, I wish it was subtitled. I'll have to wait till I have a good opportunity for listening to the tutorial, but I read the rules. Trial by fire for now!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
this is perfect because i was starting to run dangerously low on gaf games anyway (only 6!) since a bunch ended yesterday

Minsc said:
Yea, I wish it was subtitled. I'll have to wait till I have a good opportunity for listening to the tutorial, but I read the rules. Trial by fire for now!
I want to say that if you turn off the volume the tutorial will be subtitled.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AirBrian said:
I see you're back over 1500 after that game.
1497 although I am somewhat proud of that considering I was 4/4 and 5/5 in two games in a row a couple days ago. I'll come down to earth soon enough.

edit: nm 1505 indeed didn't notice that 4p game finished

grego9198

I got walloped in that last game. Back to 1200 for me.

This game is great, it's a nice distraction from work during the day. :lol

I'll have to install it on my GF's iphone tonight and get her in on these.

Forgot to add Gamecenter ID: Geteos

AirBrian

AstroLad said:
1497 although I am somewhat proud of that considering I was 4/4 and 5/5 in two games in a row a couple days ago. I'll come down to earth soon enough.
OK, you must've finished another game right after that 4p game we were in because it showed you at 1505.

EDIT: Damn your edits!

AirBrian

grego9198 said:
I got walloped in that last game. Back to 1200 for me.

This game is great, it's a nice distraction from work during the day. :lol

I'll have to install it on my GF's iphone tonight and get her in on these.
I'd get my gf in on it too, but she likes to rage-quit games. We don't even play WWF any more because anytime I get a 30+ point word, I get the "<AB's gf> has resigned." And don't even get me started on our Monopoly games. :lol

CzarTim

AirBrian said:
I'd get my gf in on it too, but she likes to rage-quit games. We don't even play WWF any more because anytime I get a 30+ point word, I get the "<AB's gf> has resigned." And don't even get me started on our Monopoly games. :lol
:lol :lol That's awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
Defintely have a better grip on it now! Lost my first batch of games, but that was to be expected.

Do the badge notifications get screwed up all the time for everyone else? Half the time I take my move the 1 or 2 badge on the icon doesn't go away, and I have to manually pause the game, go back out of the active games screens, and then re-enter it to clear the badge icon. Hopefully it gets fixed.

And as I mentioned to AstroLad, I really hope they add a "replay last turn" button, so if you weren't looking when it laid your opponents tiles down, you can see where they put them easily!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Minsc said:
Do the badge notifications get screwed up all the time for everyone else? Half the time I take my move the 1 or 2 badge on the icon doesn't go away, and I have to manually pause the game, go back out of the active games screens, and then re-enter it to clear the badge icon. Hopefully it gets fixed.
Which badge are you referring to? The in-game one? It should be green if you have more turns active and you can tap it and go straight to the next game. I've never had any problem with those. The menu ones seem to occasionally have issues (e.g., showing as clear when it's your turn (supposed to be green)) but they're not that common in my experience.

And as I mentioned to AstroLad, I really hope they add a "replay last turn" button, so if you weren't looking when it laid your opponents tiles down, you can see where they put them easily!
fwiw you can see last moves because every last-played tile of each player will have an outline of that player's color. when you were asking i thought you meant more of an undo option. (which i answered no to, but i don't think it went through for whatever reason)

Dunlop

Just purchased this morning having never played the board game. I think I am grasping it except I don't understand why you would put one of your followers in a field if you cannot get him back to the end of the game

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
because fields can be worth a lot of points and often decide games
(ask airbrian)
but yes not getting them back is definitely a tax of sorts

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
Which badge are you referring to? The in-game one? It should be green if you have more turns active and you can tap it and go straight to the next game. I've never had any problem with those. The menu ones seem to occasionally have issues (e.g., showing as clear when it's your turn (supposed to be green)) but they're not that common in my experience.)

Just the number on the game's icon in the iOS outside of the game, it's supposed to indicate the number of games you have turns to play in (i think), but it usually stays even if I take my turn, and the only way to get rid of it is to back out of everything in the game, and go back in, then it disappears.

Thanks for the tip about the last tile played having the border around it.

Oh I want the iPad version sooo bad. The tiles are quite detailed, I can't say I'm not impressed. The menu's, HUD and lack of 100% screen usage are awful though :(.

And I expected to see add-ons along with the iPad version, but they can't deliver on that either it appears.

How big of a developement team is behind this gem?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
word. i wanted to do a league of sorts or something. something like play every other person twice and we keep track of stats and stuff. i'm flexible. be fun to put something like that together though.

Top Bottom