• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

If eznark pulled one card, I think he had me. But it didnt fall until my last turn.

Bigwinnerx 84
eznark 70

And my ELO is back above 1200 for he first time since resigning 5 neverending games.

elfinke

Just finished my game against a very talented Porthos, who hamstrung my still-in-beta-stage gungho balls-and-all tactic, and won well with 2 large cities getting him home. Great game and very well played.

Scores were somewhere around ~157 - ~135 IIRC (1/10 of our respective ELO scores, coincidentally!)

My decent from 1400 ELO continues unabated!

Bigfoot

As elifinke mentioned we had a a good game, but it would have been much closer if I didn't get a certain road piece with only about 7 pieces left. I find that 1 v 1 can come down to the luck of the draw with a couple of pieces.

I was just glancing at the the bracket and the bottom bracket doesn't seem right. Shouldn't the loser of J, L, F, and H go to the first round of the bottom bracket instead of the loser of E, G, I, and K? The reason I ask this is for example, if you look at the current bracket as it stands now, if I lose to Jonnyram, I will have played 3 games if I make it to eznark while he will have only played 1.

I'm guessing the bracket assumes some "regular season" rankings and it is done this way to give advantage to higher seeds... not a big deal but it doesn't really fit with a GAF tourney where everyone is considered equal before it begins.

Just so you know, I'm not complaining and think it should stay as is. It is just an observation... I welcome more games even if it means that my chances of winning decrease... the tournament is just for fun to me anyways.

I had trouble figuring out the bracket, too. Does seem 1-4 have an advantage.

And if there are scores of 150 or 135 in single, I'm going to get annihilated.

AirBrian

Unfortunately, with only 20 members it wasn't going to be an even bracket. I put the names into their bracket generator and that's what popped out -- I did not use ELO or any other methods to determine rankings. Sorry guys, this is as "fair" as it can be with the odd number of participants.

Bigfoot

bigwinnerx said:
And if there are scores of 150 or 135 in single, I'm going to get annihilated.

We ended up sharing a really large city which brought our scores up a lot. I don't recall them being that high though... I think it was more like 130 to 115, but I can't remember for sure.

Bigfoot

Jonnyram said:
91-91 vs Porthos...
Rematch incoming!
Yeah, crazy match. I thought I had it when I tied up the farms 3-3 near the end but Jonnyram pulled a good move to get the farms 4-3. First time I've had a draw! Rematch will take place later because of the 15 (or 9?) hour time difference.

AirBrian

GG, topdeck! It was actually closer than it felt. You played the pulls well and blocked a couple of key meeples to win it. Good luck the rest of the way!

Bracket updated.

Gaspode_T

Can I start to make wagers on who will win? I will bet $100 on Jonnyram :p He's the only person that keeps basically dominating me when I play him, and the #1 reason my ELO decreases LOL

Not to put pressure on him now ;)

dantehemi

And just as fast I'm in the loser spot also. Yab beat me 80 something to 31,.. Very weird game, the tiles just wernt coming.. But good game nonetheless

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just played the weirdest game with dantehemi. Right from the start we just started fighting over one field, and we both basically invested all of our guys into it. I ended up with one free guy and was able to close up some cities and steal the field for the win. Fun game though.

Yaboosh - 80
dantehemi - 31

Pachimari

I have a question, since my mother won the game with more than 170 points.

At the end, you get points for all the fields, closed cities, unfinished roads etc.

If she have a field and that green field have a road in the middle of the tile, does that count as 2 points or still just 1 point? Even though the field goes around a road to the other side of the road.

Flynn

Anastacio said:
I have a question, since my mother won the game with more than 170 points.

At the end, you get points for all the fields, closed cities, unfinished roads etc.

If she have a field and that green field have a road in the middle of the tile, does that count as 2 points or still just 1 point? Even though the field goes around a road to the other side of the road.

Look at fields this way:

At the end of the game you get three points for every complete city that your farmer's influence touches -- Roads, especially incomplete ones, will block the farmer's access to the farm. Just follow the grass as far as you can to see just how far your farmer's influence goes.

The person who has the most farmers in an area wins all the points for that farm. This is big. Frequently you'll be able to place a farmer then connect it to another farm, giving you a majority.

This is probably the most difficult to grasp part of the game's scoring, but it is one of the most important.

Jonnyram

Quiet weekend?

I got owned by bigwinnerx and dumped into the Loser bracket.
He blocked a couple of cities early on and after that it was really a damage limitation exercise.
Final score was 66-56.

Not sure where everyone else is with their games but it looks like I may have a fair wait for my opponent to be decided.

Gaspode_T

Ugh now I have jinx guilt

One thing I've been wondering about is whether cities that were completed without placing any people placed in them also count towards field scoring?

Jonnyram said:
Quiet weekend?

I got owned by bigwinnerx and dumped into the Loser bracket.
He blocked a couple of cities early on and after that it was really a damage limitation exercise.
Final score was 66-56.

Not sure where everyone else is with their games but it looks like I may have a fair wait for my opponent to be decided.

Not owned. Was a good match. I got lucky I pulled that lone field.

1-1 carc in a tourney environment is much different than 1-1 regular. At least it feels that way to me.

AirBrian

Bracket updated!

soldat and attractivetb -- what's the status of your match? Looks like this one is holding up about 3 others.

Gaspode_T said:
Ugh now I have jinx guilt

One thing I've been wondering about is whether cities that were completed without placing any people placed in them also count towards field scoring?

Yep, they do.

soldat7

AirBrian said:
soldat and attractivetb -- what's the status of your match? Looks like this one is holding up about 3 others.

We're only a few moves in.

Great game AstroLad and AirBrian! I hereby announce my retirement.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
soldat7 said:
We're only a few moves in.

Great game AstroLad and AirBrian! I hereby announce my retirement.
Hahah yeah that was a fun match.

When do I get to play in the tourney haven't even had my first game yet. :p

eznark

Banned
bigwinnerx said:
If eznark pulled one card, I think he had me. But it didnt fall until my last turn.

Bigwinnerx 84
eznark 70

And my ELO is back above 1200 for he first time since resigning 5 neverending games.

This single game has cursed me. I'm now completely incompetent, unable to even beat my wife (well, at Carc, I still beat her of course). It's shattered my confidence. I'm a broken man.

Hurry the f' up so we can start a new tourney!!

Top Bottom