• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoon Network announces Justice League Action - new animated series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Remember when everyone hated on The Spectacular Spider-Man art style? now it became the best spidey animated series.

I have faith, especially with that voice cast.

Squalor

so I guess Cartoon Network only wants 11 minute shows now?

Could be okay. I've certainly enjoyed shows with episodes of that length. Steven Universe stands out, so if they go slightly more serious and action oriented than SU with the Justice League show, it should be alright.
Steven Universe gets very serious. Have you followed the show? The themes and tone get dark and rather mature for a show of its kind.

This just looks like a Justice League version of TTG!, which is the furthest thing from a serious show.
Remember when everyone hated on The Spectacular Spider-Man art style? now it became the best spidey animated series.

I have faith, especially with that voice cast.
No, I don't remember how "everyone" did that.

A voice cast means nothing if the scripts aren't good.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
No, I don't remember how "everyone" did that.

A voice cast means nothing if the scripts aren't good.

Well would Conroy and especially Hamill be on board if they wouldn't think it will be good? I remember Hamill saying he's done with The Joker.

Need to see it in action (no pun intended) before I can judge the art style. It reminds me of new frontier a bit for whatever reason. I like that supes doesn't look as old in timmverse. This type of stylized art is what sells merchandise with the younger demograph, which YJ failed at.

Still have no idea how this show is going to end up. It will probably be a bit more jokey than Timmverse but still within the realm of an action cartoon with those VA's. Still I'm in it for Firestorm and Shazam getting some proper representation and hopefully some iconic stories adapted that weren't covered in timmverse.

KalBalboa

Banned
Booster effin' Gold up in this bitch
uRQg0hV.png

Is this a JLU joke?

If so, well done.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Steven Universe gets very serious. Have you followed the show? The themes and tone get dark and rather mature for a show of its kind.
oh I'm well aware

but they also have a lot of comedy and singing

Spectacular was a 22 minute show.

Yeah that's the only thing giving me pause now that I saw that. 11 minutes just isn't enough time, it sounds like a tepid trial run for an action cartoon. Hopefully if it gets picked up for a second season they can do 22 mins. Action Cartoons just aren't in a good spot right now.

I'm guessing the first season will be mostly origin stories, given Carl Reiner already confirmed for the Wizard (which pretty much confirms a Shazam origin episode).

"Justice League Action," 11 minute episodes, that art style. I see what they're going for here.

Everyone here is hoping and dreaming for the return of the previous Justice League series but this obviously isn't meant to be that at all. It's obviously going to be aiming for a younger age group and will just be bite-sized fun shorts that are fairly straight and to the point.

I'm sure they'll have their moments and I'm glad to see they got back the Batman and the Joker, but don't go expecting any storytelling on the level of BTAS or anything. If anything they'll be a very enjoyable snack, but they're not your dinner.

They'll probably be fun, I'll watch 'em. But it's not the second coming or anything.

Squalor

oh I'm well aware

but they also have a lot of comedy and singing
Comedic moments don't stop something from being "serious."

Adventure Time is the same way.

However, I highly doubt this winds up being nearly as mature as either of the aforementioned shows.

(+) voice cast is fantastic
(+) Paul Dini involvement

(-) 11 minute format (seriously, can CN only operate shows in this format?)
(-) art style ( I guess they're trying to take a Teen Titans Go approach to this?)

Dont really know what to think about it, I still can't get into TTG despite loving the original show. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case for JLA

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So people criticize the movies for being grim and dark, and now criticize the cartoon for looking too light hearted?

*scratches head*

bryanee

The art reminds me more of the original Teen Titans show rather than Go!

The only issue I have is with the 11 minutes thing.

PSqueak

Banned
So people criticize the movies for being grim and dark, and now criticize the cartoon for looking too light hearted?

*scratches head*

People have been spoiled by things like Batman TAS, Superman TAS and Justice league/Unlimited, which hit the absolute sweetspot of not too grimdark but not too Lighthearted.

Cwarrior

I remember the last time I judged a super hero cartoon by it's cover

1705135-avengers_assemble_marvel_debuts_avengers_earths_mightiest_heroes.jpg

I ended up getting one of the greatest cartoons of all time (i was certain it was going to suck lol)

before jeph loeb at marvel cancelled it cause he thinks story continuity is too complex for viewers

11mins?? Vixen now this :(

Measley

They look a little too happy...

Also the art style looks kind of cheap.

Why can't we get that YJ style back? Too expensive?

Xe4

Banned
Not feeling the artstyle, bit I'll give it a watch. More iterested in the ne Teen Titans vs justice League.

Really happy with the VA'd though. The fact Hamill wasn't in YJ was a crime

Cwarrior

11 minute is the killer :(

the art is quite good except they all look younger.

"One of the greatest cartoons of all time" is a bit of a stretch.

The show was solid.

The episode before the executive meddling, it was easly up there with the best of justice league unlimeted.

the script by Christopher Yost was far far beyond soild.

Bluth54

I like the voice cast but I'm not really loving the art style or the fact the episodes are only 11 minutes. I guess we'll have to see how it is.

Kreed

This isn't surprising considering the direction Cartoon Network (not Adult Swim) has been going in as of late, dropping all of their more "serious" cartoons in favor of more comedy driven shows and light hearted action shows (Adventure Time, Steven Universe, etc...). This seems like DC/WB trying to find a happy medium in between Teen Titans go and Young Justice after that show didn't make it along with the Batman and Green Lantern.

Also everyone going "not digging the art style", unless this is the first cartoon you've ever watched, you should know better than the judge a show based on the first promotional poster vs teaser trailers where the characters are usually more refined and look better in motion (Batman the Brave and the Bold being a great example).

Art looks terrible. Excited about the voice casting. Wonder what the tone will be.

Kreed said:
Also everyone going "not digging the art style", unless this is the first cartoon you've ever watched, you should know better than the judge a show based on the first promotional poster vs teaser trailers where the characters are usually more refined and look better in motion (Batman the Brave and the Bold being a great example).

I don't understand what you mean. Brave and the bold looked terrible too. Great stories though.

anaron

Art looks terrible. Excited about the voice casting. Wonder what the tone will be.

I don't understand what you mean. Brave and the bold looked terrible too. Great stories though.
ew at this awful opinion

Brave and the bold's art direction was fantastic and absolutely perfect for the tone and goal of the show.

Kreed

I clearly said the promo art looks worse than teaser trailers, which was the point I was illustrating with the Brave and the Bold first promo picture. Whether or not you still think the show looks bad AFTER seeing it animated is your own opinion, but at least you've seen it in properly animated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom