• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wasnt'; sure if i was goign to buy this or wait for a deal of the week.

HOWEVER, the moment the Demo dropped me into the first stage and the music kicked in, two things crossed my mind: I really have to play Circle of the Moon and there's no way in hell that i won't buy this shit right now, even if it's for principle (as in, helping Iga).

The music alone is all kinds of awesome. I'll also buy the DLC at a high price, for sure.

Horsebite said:
WTF Happened to SIMON Belmont? I've only played the Castlevania games on NES/SNES and Symphony of the Night and this.
Simon Belmont would mean that Iga has to make new sprites! :p

J/K

In all seriousness, I'd love to see Simon Belmont make it in this game as DLC with maybe a level that's inspired from the older Vania games.

It probably won't happen though.

Teknoman

Horsebite said:
WTF Happened to SIMON Belmont? I've only played the Castlevania games on NES/SNES and Symphony of the Night and this.

What do you mean? Games took place in different years, Simon isnt immortal, so decendants/direct relatives had to take up his duty.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Simon Belmont would mean that Iga has to make new sprites! :p
But but.. he already made! At least one anyway:

Greatest_Five_Simon_Belmont.JPG

This shows up in Portrait of Ruin when you call the "Greatest five" special attack in which you summon Richter, Leon, Trevor, Juste and Simon to inflict "massive damage"

Teknoman said:
What do you mean? Games took place in different years, Simon isnt immortal, so decendants/direct relatives had to take up his duty.
What worries me the most is that it's been a while since a Belmont yielded a Whip against Dracula. I really need to read up on my Castlevania Timeline, since I don't really remember which game took place when.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'd love that as a DLC character. That'd be my main for this game!
He would have to fully animate that sprite tho. That's the only frame of the new Simon. :D

Teknoman

drizzle said:
But but.. he already made! At least one anyway:

Greatest_Five_Simon_Belmont.JPG

This shows up in Portrait of Ruin when you call the "Greatest five" special attack in which you summon Richter, Leon, Trevor, Juste and Simon to inflict "massive damage"

What worries me the most is that it's been a while since a Belmont yielded a Whip against Dracula. I really need to read up on my Castlevania Timeline, since I don't really remember which game took place when.

I think as far as the standard timeline goes, its Julius Belmont? Of course if you're going by games then the next one is Gabriel Belmont in Lords of Shadow.

Either way, I hope they run a little more with classic stages/music remixes via DLC. I'd really like to play some new stages to a Vampire Killer or Lullaby sent to the devil remix. Some Rondo of Blood straight forward challenge stages/themes wouldnt hurt either. Or even better, Bloodlines.

jaxword

Horsebite said:

Storyline wise? Simon never had much plot. He definitely had time to have a child, though.

Play Harmony of Dissonance, which stars Simon's Grandson Juste.

On a different note, I really wish IGA would get a decent writer and write a decent female Belmont. It's a little sad and silly at this point to have ZERO female offspring.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I take it you only ever need one of each item, so I can sell the rest?
Anyone know a good way to make money, I have unlocked hard mode and some of the stuff unlocked looks lush!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
McKeeverFever said:
We care because they are exploiting their fan base. No it wasnt free for them to develop but becasue it was made before the release, the already pricey 1200 points should have covered it, but no why give fans the complete game when we can screw them over and make them pay more for what should have been there in the start.
How are they exploiting the fanbase? I have never considered myself a Castlevania fan yet I have bought a couple games in the series and I think they all have been worth the price I paid for them. This one specially offers a lot of replay value, and the price for it was very reasonable. It would have been nice to get everything in a single package, but if they have to sell a chunk of DLC to justify the production cost then its fair game IMO.

It seems you feel entitled to a lot for $15. I have seen people loggin in 20 hrs in this game and its only been out for a couple days. That is much more than what other full priced titles offer.

Ridley327

I think people are confusing held back content with unlock keys again. Held back content, done intentionally, is unfortunate, but it's not like it's sitting there in your copy of the game, waiting for them to release a 128k file to turn it on. That's what people are raging about. That pic above, as well as the warnings in-game that you can't download replays from DLC that you don't own, points to this instance being the former and (thankfully) not the latter.

Sectus

Ridley327 said:
I think people are confusing held back content with unlock keys again. Held back content, done intentionally, is unfortunate, but it's not like it's sitting there in your copy of the game, waiting for them to release a 128k file to turn it on. That's what people are raging about. That pic above, as well as the warnings in-game that you can't download replays from DLC that you don't own, points to this instance being the former and (thankfully) not the latter.
Aren't both practically the same? In this case it's a combination since the full game has some content you can't access (for instance the music for the pyramid stage).

I tried the demo, I think the game looks extremely good, and the concept of coop speedrun is an interesting take on the Castlevania series, I guess. After all, it's the Xbox Live Arcade.
I won't buy it at this price though. And I'd like them to release a normal (or metroidvania) Castlevania with this engine. Even if it's a remake.

Ridley327 said:
Not really, since Julius and Maria aren't sitting on my harddrive as I speak.

Dude, it's the same thing. Regardless of whether the held back content is sitting on your machine or theirs, it's still real content that was cut out just so it could be sold to you later. Why is one outrageous and not the other?

Holding back data also means that if someone else buys the dlc the non owning people will still see the content, but it sucks knowing it's data in the game you can't access without a premium.

For what I have read the game sounds 1) unfinished, 2) lacking basic functions and 3) a cheap cop-out castlevania game just to make some money.

Also sounds like the online will die sooner then later, and no local multi? :/

Sectus

Ridley327 said:
Not really, since Julius and Maria aren't sitting on my harddrive as I speak.
Yes, but it's still content which is finished and they could have given out at the time of release. To me, that's really no different from having it on the download but locked. It's just 2 different delivery methods for the same thing: content they made at the same time as the full game.

I wish DLC would actually mean additional content designed and created after the game was released, similar to expansion packs. Now it's just a way for publishers to charge more for a game.

Ridley327

If Konami ever advertised that the game would have Julius and Maria as well as a seventh chapter as a part of the final product, I'd be more inclined to be outraged. They didn't.

I'm not defending either practice beyond there being a gigantic difference in entitlement between the two.

Diablohead said:
Holding back data also means that if someone else buys the dlc the non owning people will still see the content, but it sucks knowing it's data in the game you can't access without a premium.

For what I have read the game sounds 1) unfinished, 2) lacking basic functions and 3) a cheap cop-out castlevania game just to make some money.

Also sounds like the online will die sooner then later, and no local multi? :/

Unfinished how? and lacking basic functions? The only real compliant I have is the lack of ability to sell/trade items with other players, but since gear is what effects how strong you are for a lot of characters I can see why they did it. The game plays fine and in no way can I see it being "unfinished".

The DLC extra character thing baffles me. How many people have even put any significant time in to more than one character yet? If you're ignoring four other characters that are sitting right in front of you, why can't you ignore an obvious attempt at selling extra content way too early and just not buy it and play those other characters instead? Seems pretty silly to me. The extra level, sure I can agree with.

As for a cheap cop-out to make money, I find that pretty amusing. This whole endeavor seems like it was considered a risk from the get go. From the sounds of it Konami didn't really give this a whole lot of funding.
And online dying sooner than later is up in the air. The xbox online community jumps to whatever is new at the moment. You could say the same thing about anything that is released any day of the week that isn't called Halo or Call of Duty. This is why it is nice to have friends who'll play online or join the GAF group to have people you can arrange times with to play.

I'm still having a blast playing this with friends. I've probably put 9hrs into Shanoa now, but I'll probably switch over to Jon once we win Hard mode. This game really feels like PSO in a lot of ways. Running through the same levels for chests and boss loot/etc. I guess I can see where a lot of the complaints about the design come from if you don't have friends to play with online. I mean, I couldn't imagine playing PSO single player either so...it would seem incredibly boring.

owlbeak

I'd enjoy some stages based off of Super Castlevania 4...that's one of my favorites, but like I said I never played any of the DS titles.

Ridley327

Ehh, I don't know if I'd really call this project "risky"; it's ultra-cheap, so there can't be a lot of money at stake should it fail.

Ridley327 said:
Ehh, I don't know if I'd really call this project "risky"; it's ultra-cheap, so there can't be a lot of money at stake should it fail.
Seems like a risk in the fact that Konami didn't seem like it was really on board to begin with/didn't think it would sell. We went from an E3 where we were shown a glimpse of an image of Alucard for a nextgen game, where we were told they were pitched two games, a 2d game and a 3d game, and they said OK to the 3d one. To that game being abandoned and a 3d game being made by Mercury Steam and hearing nothing from Iga. Then this game just randomly shows up and Iga basically said he isn't taking a salary during the development(if I'm remembering right). Sounds like it took a lot of convincing and bargaining to get it made.

Rad-

This is slowly becoming my favorite downloadable multiplayer game this gen. Oh how I wish this would sell enough to spawn a similar game but with an actual budget. The idea here is amazing. I mean a co-op loot based platformer, more of these thank you very much.

Rad- said:
This is slowly becoming my favorite downloadable multiplayer game this gen. Oh how I wish this would sell enough to spawn a similar game but with an actual budget. The idea here is amazing. I mean a co-op loot based platformer, more of these thank you very much.
I hear you. This game was obviously made on the very cheap(all old art besides what? the menus?)Looking at the co-op leaderboards, there was something like 36,000+ last time I checked. I'd welcome a sequel that was built from the ground up with wide open arms and hopefully the sales are going to justify that.

Sectus

Ridley327 said:
If Konami ever advertised that the game would have Julius and Maria as well as a seventh chapter as a part of the final product, I'd be more inclined to be outraged. They didn't.

I'm not defending either practice beyond there being a gigantic difference in entitlement between the two.
I'm more concerned with the way they're faking it as real DLC. Just up the price of the game and give me all the content day one. I'm willing to pay for the extra content (well, as long as it isn't an absurd price), but it feels a bit silly to be forced to wait an arbitrary amount of time to be able to play the entire game.

It's not a great game. I certainly wouldn't of bought it if I wasn't already buying all other games in the summer of arcade. I couldn't really recommend it to anyone. If they were interesting in the based aspect of the game, I'd tell them to buy Deathspank. If they wanted to play a modern Castlevania style game, I'd tell them to buy Shadow Complex.

I feel the premise of the game is sound but it's execution is weak. It seems like it's being held back by some eastern design choices. In the hands of a western developer, we could see a really great game come out of it.

That said, I am having fun when we play together as a GAF group.

Here's a question to the people that are enjoying it. What's your experience with games like Diablo 2, Torchlight or Titan Quest?

Ridley327

Sectus said:
I'm more concerned with the way they're faking it as real DLC. Just up the price of the game and give me all the content day one. I'm willing to pay for the extra content (well, as long as it isn't an absurd price), but it feels a bit silly to be forced to wait an arbitrary amount of time to be able to play the entire game.
Again, I'd share your outrage if this content was promised to be a part of the final release from the very start, like the current predicament with the Lara Croft game.
snoopeasystreet said:
Here's a question to the people that are enjoying it. What's your experience with games like Diablo 2, Torchlight or Titan Quest?
I do think that Castlevania HD is certainly more limited when it comes to content (how they'll handle the DLC will ultimately determine the shelf life of the game), but it's a fairly unique amagalmation of genres that lends itself quite well to co-op gameplay. There really isn't a whole lot like it in that regard.

Wizpig

McKeeverFever said:
We care because they are exploiting their fan base. No it wasnt free for them to develop but becasue it was made before the release, the already pricey 1200 points should have covered it, but no why give fans the complete game when we can screw them over and make them pay more for what should have been there in the start.
Basically this.

snoopeasystreet said:
Never bothered with Torchlight, but I've played Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. Like I said above, I would compare this game to something like PSO way before I'd call it Diablo 2. Choose a level, grind through it, get chests, kill a boss for loot, repeat. There isn't really so much about linear progression like in those games.

owlbeak

snoopeasystreet said:
Meh...played Diablo 2 for a while, it got boring. Torchlight was alright, but it got old fast too. I don't care much for dungeon crawlers where the only point is grinding out loot. Difference with this game is the setting, characters, and you actually have to have strategies to beat enemies, not just click on them and wait.

Horsebite said:
You actually have to have strategies to beat enemies, not just click on them and wait.
This is a really good point as well. The game rewards you depending how well you do, as opposed to being totally random. Seems like the factors include how fast you beat the level and how many people die during it. The better you do on the stage/boss fight, the better the loot. Certainly adds some motivation to repeat the stages and improve on them.

Wizpig

snoopeasystreet said:
I don't like those.
Diablo 2 could be a fun game but i started playing it when the game was already very old.

I love PSO and PS0, and of course i absolutely love Metroidvanias starting with Dawn of Sorrow, my first one.
I also bought Castlevania Judgement and feel that it's absolutely underrated, even if it's obviously not great.

edit. by the way i bought this because i wanted to buy it, i probably won't get anything "free" from the summer of arcade, i bought Limbo and this, i will wait for the deal of the week for hydro thunder and monday night combat and... if i buy lara croft i can get 400 points back, but meh, i just don't know.

I just hope Monday Night Combat won't "steal" Castlevania's online players next week -_-

Coldsnap

Arguing the $15.00 price is pointless. $15.00 has become the price of xbox live games whether you like it or not; there has been puzzle games that been released at $15.00. It's not so much as the games fault but more like shame on Microsoft and shame on you for letting them creep up the price if it really bothers you that much.

As far as the game goes I would score it a 7/10. Although I really enjoy it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've been playing this more than Blazblue. Even my brother, who gets bored played Deathspank with me (we have yet to beat it, as it just feels like it's pulling itself along slowly), has taken to playing the single player, and grinding up a character. I've seen him reach achievements with Jonathan that I haven't. I've seen a few different drops. He beat offline Drac before I did, with the power of the Wrecking Ball of JUSTICE!

Even without offline co-op, we've been able to observe each other, and trade tips and strats and our own ways through the labyrinthine levels. I've been able to absorb enough skills with Charlotte, to where she hits within single digits of damage to Alucard with Danslef. And her magic is off the charts!

It's suprising, as I've been pretty annoyed with grindy games as of late. Yet even when I tire of playing this... I desire to come back not soon after.

Watching the single player credits is rather funny, too; the list of people is quite tiny. Only 1 person for almost each aspect other than voices and music.

Maybe this game just helps me remember how much I miss 100% Konami in modern day gaming. (They seem to be trying to fix that with all the "Arcade" games this year, which I'm happy about.)

Anywho, don't all these DLC conspiracy theroies get old? All I care about, in this case, is that a game I'm enjoying is getting more stuff, and it'll probably only cost me a few dollars a piece. I like it when DLC shows up before a game is overshadowed by other titles. I like it when I've gotten enough enjoyment out of what's THERE, that I feel extra cost is worth it.

As much fun as I've gotten out of this, I feel it's justified. I really, REALLY love unlockable stuff in games, and DLC might be "piece mealing" parts of what would have been included back in the past, but now as paid content. However, it's not like the games of the past were sub-40 dollar games with online play, either... or made for HD. Each of these characters ill probably give me 5 or 10 new hours of gameplay by themselves, and the new stage will add onto that, maybe even for old characters (Do we get new weps? Spells? Glyphs?), so as long as it's not priced at half the game's original price or something, should be pretty worth it!

Wizpig

Coldsnap said:
Arguing the $15.00 price is pointless. $15.00 has become the price of xbox live games whether you like it or not;
No, that's only because of the Summer of Arcade... at least i hope.

We had AAA games like After Burner Climax for 800 points not so long ago.
It all depends on what the community thinks: ABC doesn't have multiplayer, so it must be an half-assed game! and so they put it for 800 points.

I hated the game when it was announced and I still hate the "low budget + copy/paste" approach but I played 25 hours so far and the game is really fun. The loot and leveling up is quite addictive and the best thing, like many people said, it's that the game is challenging.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
snoopeasystreet said:
It's not a great game. I certainly wouldn't of bought it if I wasn't already buying all other games in the summer of arcade. I couldn't really recommend it to anyone. If they were interesting in the based aspect of the game, I'd tell them to buy Deathspank. If they wanted to play a modern Castlevania style game, I'd tell them to buy Shadow Complex.

Eh, for me, I'd recommend this over Deathspank easily (Spank's gameplay is really lacking in strategy and fun for me, this game has much more of that), and as far as Shadow Complex... I like this games character personality and premise more. My main friends and I would get more fun out of this than Shadow Complex, because we could actually play this together.

I feel the premise of the game is sound but it's execution is weak. It seems like it's being held back by some eastern design choices. In the hands of a western developer, we could see a really great game come out of it.

Eh... couldn't disagree more. Of course, I enjoyed Lost Planet 2! Eastern design is stubborn, and people feel it "behind the times", but it gels so well with what I want out of games, that I find myself agreeing with their stubborn ways. Let me provide examples...

I don't want random drop-ins in the middle of my loot and score games. Drop in/out is fine when the only important things is going from point A to be, but it has no place in a game like this.

A more robust party search system would be nice, but I don't really PLAY these kind of games with randoms, these are the kinda games I wanna know the people I'm playing with first. This game basically offers me "Do you wanna play with people you can talk to, or foreigners?", which is ok, if not perfect. Doesn't effect overall quality for me.

In a western developers hands, a lot of the personality, character quirks, and gameplay would probably suffer. Unless that western developer was, say, the Behemoth. But even their Battleblock Theater looks to be missing much of the personality I fell in love with in Castle Crashers. But back to the Japanese stuff...

I say this not as a "japan fanboy!" but based off experience.

As many people as there are that like Deathspank, I find it lacks any kinda endearing quality to make me REALLY care about it. Which is a shame, because it obviously has a good budget, and a good pedigree. But the gameplay is soulless. It's MUCH, MUCH more mashy than Dynasty Warriors ever was; There is no strategy to knocking your opponents around, and for all the elemental potions and stuff the game has, it almost serves no purpose.

There is nothing special about getting new loot in that game, because you get so much in a short amount of time. Hence, there's no reason to grow attachments. While in Castlevania, even to this day, I remember the Rapier, Crissaggrim (or however it's spelled) and the wonderful jokes that where the alucart items, just to name a few. I can't say anything in DSpank has made a lasting impression beyond "Oh look a Zelda ripoff power!" The effects where nice, sure, but nothing in the gameplay was nearly as charming as the writing. (And even THAT only has be funny to me a few times... and mostly only with the Taco lady! The "Felt" guy was almost entirely unfunny to me.)

That said, I am having fun when we play together as a GAF group.

Played Diablo 2 back in the day, and enjoyed Baldur's gate 1 on PS2. BG1 is probably my fav western RPG of all time. Hated BalGate2, it just seemed boring, and way too "Been there, done that!" (the lack of a soundtrack really hurt it, for me.)

Know nothing of Torchlight or Titans Quest. PC adventures lack a lot of charm for me... gameplay to graphic design wise, at multiple levels. Again, speaking from experience, not just blind fanboyism.

I guess, if you go into Castlevania HD looking for western stuff, you will be dissapointed, much as I was going into Deathspank, hoping it could be a 4th as fun as playing Secrets of Mana together. (Doesn't even begin to approach it! I enjoyed Legends of Mana more, and it took me a few days to actualy start liking that, since it betrayed much of my expectations.)

So for me, this game has that "it" factor. The thing that made me play Castle Crashers almost non-stop when it first released. The thing that made Guardian Heroes into a top game for me, even now. It might not have it as great as those games, and it has room to improve, but it feels like such a rare gem in gaming now-a-days!

Much of what Castlevania offers is dissapearing from home consoles, and from gaming in general, with Japan in an acceptance rut. Awesome music that sets a real mood for the entire experience, Quirky humor, subtlety, maturity without overblown vulgarity, characters with special animations, for no other reason than to bring out their personality, boss battles with patterns and memorable designs, vast enemies with unique, inhuman silhouettes, and hard difficulties that require dedicated gameplay to overcome... these just aren't the things modern, western-focused game designers care about.

Even if alot of it is second hand here... the wrapping around this game is something I've wanted for years now, ever since CV went Portable-focused. Playing the Rondo of Blood remake on PSP, and the original, fianlly, after all these years, just made me wish I could see something like this on a proper system, once again. This game took some of my fav elements of that, mixed it with some of my faves from "Metroidvania", and came away as a rather competent mixup!

So... yeah. Hope that gave you some insight as to what a person who'se enjoying this game, might see in it, versus some of the similiar competition. As you can tell, it's a subject I actually believe in, lol. So if anything else alludes you on the matter, I'll be happy to yap away more. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Captain N said:
Do enemies drop souls just like they do in Dawn of Sorrow or just select enemies?

I believe everything has a soul for Soma. (Look in the monster guide in-game; it shows circles that fill in for soul drops. If you have gambler glasses, it even shows drop % of most of them!)

The bosses have souls too; but I hear they appear from the end-of-stage chest, rather than flying into Soma.

Note that Soma can get souls from enemies that other players kill, too. So he's very nice to play in groups that all split up.

Captain N

SAB CA said:
I believe everything has a soul for Soma. (Look in the monster guide in-game; it shows circles that fill in for soul drops. If you have gambler glasses, it even shows drop % of most of them!)

The bosses have souls too; but I hear they appear from the end-of-stage chest, rather than flying into Soma.

Note that Soma can get souls from enemies that other players kill, too. So he's very nice to play in groups that all split up.

that is actually pretty sweet. Can I look at the monster guide to see who has glyphs as well?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Captain N said:
that is actually pretty sweet. Can I look at the monster guide to see who has glyphs as well?

Don't think so, but you wouldn't really need to, since there's only 4 glyphs.

3 can be obtained from the floating witch women (they have a constant glow around them as they float) which can be found on stage 2 and 4, and then the Nova Skeletons (green skeletons) on stage 6. Get those skills, and then just use like crazy, because that's how they level up!

Lightning, Ice, Fire (the one you start with) and Crazy purple nova Beam (from the skels).

Captain N

SAB CA said:
Don't think so, but you wouldn't really need to, since there's only 4 glyphs.

3 can be obtained from the floating witch women (they have a constant glow around them as they float) which can be found on stage 2 and 4, and then the Nova Skeletons (green skeletons) on stage 6. Get those skills, and then just use like crazy, because that's how they level up!

Lightning, Ice, Fire (the one you start with) and Crazy purple nova Beam (from the skels).

can you see the they they are at in the menu?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Captain N said:
can you see the they they are at in the menu?

See where they are? Like, by which stage? I don't THINK so... but it'll become common knowledge after enough plays.

Top Bottom