• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Barrett2

Hellion said:
Wow... I had low expectations for Red Dead after GTA4 and it blew me away.

Did you get the same playing this.
Yeah. I wasn't expecting much from this because i don't like character action games, but the visuals and atmosphere are great, and there are some really memorable boss fights. It's a lot of fun.

LiK

TemplaerDude said:
Just bought this.

Talk to me Patrick! Mmmmm yea. Great start to any game when I hear his voice.

Very excited to play this!

**Though I did shudder when he ended that first monologue with "oblivion". Ughhh.

wait til he says "old friend". i just kept thinking of X-Men movies :lol

forrest

formerly nacire
brandonh83 said:
God damn the library trial.

If I go to hell, I am certain that my eternal punishment will be to do that over and over.

Oh don't say that, this is the one I'm about to start! :/

Frostburn

I tried to stay out of this thread but I cannot wait to get this game! Girlfriend is giving it to me this weekend for our Anniversary, I should have thought of something else for her to buy me instead! You guys have me pumped for this... soon I will be able to play it!

nacire said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but I hope it has some merit.

Castlevania Sequel in the works.
We already had another thread talking about that. Pretty much every major game (or movie or what have you) is planned to have a sequel, pending sales.

Unfortunately, we're not going to see how this sells now, so we'll never know if the game sells well enough in NA to merit a sequel (a la Dead Space) or if it sells poorly enough that we'll be forever strung along (a la Beyond Good & Evil or Mirror's Edge).

forrest

formerly nacire
brandonh83 said:
if you beat it, share your secrets.

Just beat it.

Got through the first couple rooms as fast as possible since no enemies.

The hard part: Dispatch winged gremlins quickly, daggers work nice. Use shadow magic punch to move all mirrors. Make sure to fill your shadow magic back up before heading to the last hall. It's better to take the time to recharge (for shadow punch) then to take the time to charge punch each mirror. If you miss a shadow punch on a mirror it drains a lot so be careful. I actually filled up the shadow magic about halfway on the overfill meter? When you get to the room with the Shadow Knight, unleash Light Magic Infused faeries and hope he dies!

That's how I did it, but it wasn't easy. Took many times to get the flow just right.

*as a side note I had 0:00 on the counter when I got it!

Is this review new? It's 5/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-castlevania-lords-of-shadow

"Lords of Shadow is as derivative as games get, and there isn't a single unique idea in the whole game. Whether it's ripping off Prince of Persia, Devil May Cry, The Legend of Zelda or a multitude of other third person action games, there isn't anything in this game that you haven't seen before. While this would ordinarily be acceptable, developer MercurySteam has failed to understand why each of the tropes it copies were successful in their original games, and has thus created a game that looks like a poor forgery of other, better titles."

"this game is about fifteen to twenty hours, and has all the gameplay of a six hour game"

"Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is fifteen hours of cobbled together gameplay that could be considered functional at best and worthless at worst. It's a Frankenstein's Monster of other peoples' ideas, stitched together in a haphazard and clueless way, totally bereft of soul or meaning. The easily impressed may be fooled by the game's undeniable production values and allow themselves to be tricked into thinking they're playing a masterpiece, but if anything, this title is a poor man's Dante's Inferno. Depending on your outlook that may make it a hobo's God of War.

Not only is the game completely unoriginal, it doesn't even manage to be seamless and competent with its copying like an unoriginal game needs to be. There's no justification for Lords of Shadow. It's simply a second-rate title that might have been good a decade ago, but doesn't need to exist in this day and age."

Hoooo boy. This review is something else. Sounds like he really sucked at it too, judging from his comments on the combat and how the enemies wouldn't let Gabriel complete a single move......

Defunkled

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Is this review new? It's 5/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-castlevania-lords-of-shadow

"Lords of Shadow is as derivative as games get, and there isn't a single unique idea in the whole game. Whether it's ripping off Prince of Persia, Devil May Cry, The Legend of Zelda or a multitude of other third person action games, there isn't anything in this game that you haven't seen before. While this would ordinarily be acceptable, developer MercurySteam has failed to understand why each of the tropes it copies were successful in their original games, and has thus created a game that looks like a poor forgery of other, better titles."

"this game is about fifteen to twenty hours, and has all the gameplay of a six hour game"

"Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is fifteen hours of cobbled together gameplay that could be considered functional at best and worthless at worst. It's a Frankenstein's Monster of other peoples' ideas, stitched together in a haphazard and clueless way, totally bereft of soul or meaning. The easily impressed may be fooled by the game's undeniable production values and allow themselves to be tricked into thinking they're playing a masterpiece, but if anything, this title is a poor man's Dante's Inferno. Depending on your outlook that may make it a hobo's God of War.

Not only is the game completely unoriginal, it doesn't even manage to be seamless and competent with its copying like an unoriginal game needs to be. There's no justification for Lords of Shadow. It's simply a second-rate title that might have been good a decade ago, but doesn't need to exist in this day and age."

Hoooo boy. This review is something else. Sounds like he really sucked at it too, judging from his comments on the combat and how the enemies wouldn't let Gabriel complete a single move......

Yeah, I'll never understand Jim Sterling. It's hard to take him seriously when he says that Lords of Shadow has "derivative and mediocre" combat. This is coming from that same guy that lavishes praise upon almost every new Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors game. Now, don't get me wrong, I like those games (can't wait to pick up Sengoku Basara), but it's impossible to deny their derivative/repetitive nature.

hermit7

Have to say I like the game thus far, but not being able to control the camera is exceedingly annoying. I don't understand how I miss stuff if I am passing through a straight path.

That and it makes it difficult to control the character with precision.

Despite that I am really enjoying it overall outside of those minor complaints.

Wow, the beauty in this game can't be overstated, I'm just walking through the environments instead of running as there is so much to ogle. Love letting the camera just sit.
:D

john tv

Destructoid Review said:
However, Lords of Shadow's linear levels mean that when you return to a previous stage, you have to beat the entire thing from beginning to end again, just to get the item you came for. You can't even return to the World Map once you obtain the item either, as your progress only saves at the very end.
This is 100% untrue. Probably ought to fix that one... You can leave the moment you get the item you came for (I know, I've done it over a dozen times now).

john tv

Destructoid Review said:
Add to all this a narrative that could be considered banal at best, and you have a recipe for a game that utterly fails to compel. It takes some doing to make me tired of Patrick Stewart's voice, but after twelve loading screens full of overwrought, over-acted exposition that desperately tries to tell us how we should be feeling because the game itself doesn't communicate any of its narrative concepts properly, I wanted one of my favorite actors to just shut up. If only the script made a lick of sense, or Gabriel acted as hateful and corrupted as the loading screens tell us he is, then the piss-poor story might have been enjoyable in some way. However, this isn't the case.
DEFINITELY agree with this part, though. They could've (and should've) cut out like 70% of the text in the game (and hired a professional writer) and it would've been a far more enjoyable, cohesive story. Hopefully they'll keep that in mind for the sequel. :)

Defunkled said:
Yeah, I'll never understand Jim Sterling. It's hard to take him seriously when he says that Lords of Shadow has "derivative and mediocre" combat. This is coming from that same guy that lavishes praise upon almost every new Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors game. Now, don't get me wrong, I like those games (can't wait to pick up Sengoku Basara), but it's impossible to deny their derivative/repetitive nature.

Didn't he also gash over the Enslaveds "combat?"

Segata Sanshiro said:
why oh why did i not take my own advice about backing up my saves as i go?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

HAHAHAHA...

sucks bro. Just to inform you it didn't happen to me. How far were you into the game?

Segata Sanshiro said:
He also gave Final Fantasy XIII a 4. Don't worry about it too much.

The way Gaf hates on that game it would seem the whole world gave it a 4.

JohngPR

I've never had an instance where the rappelling automatically made me fall while I was rappelling down. Is Sterling playing the same game I am? LOL

JohngPR said:
I've never had an instance where the rappelling automatically made me fall while I was rappelling down. Is Sterling playing the same game I am? LOL

Only happens when you're stupid and try to extend to far. The way he talks about the platforming makes me think he likes easy games. Not saying the platforming hard but you can die if you miss on a jump.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
JohngPR said:

That happens once in one of the first levels because there are spikes/brambles at the bottom or something. It got me too. I guess he assumed that unique occurrence was something that happens through the entire game.

john tv

luka said:
That happens once in one of the first levels because there are spikes/brambles at the bottom or something. It got me too. I guess he assumed that unique occurrence was something that happens through the entire game.
I know what he's talking about though. It's often not clear just how far down you can drop before you fall to your death. I've had several occasions where it seemed like I might be able to drop one more, but I wound up dying instead.

I decided to see how many times I have posted in this thread and

Code:
brandonh83	483
CaptYamato	153
CcrooK	130
burgerdog	130
Y2Kev	99

DAMN BRANDON! :lol :lol :lol

bubnbob

Banned
john tv said:
This is 100% untrue. Probably ought to fix that one... You can leave the moment you get the item you came for (I know, I've done it over a dozen times now).

I think this applies to gems and upgrades. But say if I want a Dark Crystal, you can't just grab one then jet. You have to finish the level. The same applies to health and magic.

forrest

formerly nacire
Ch1-6 at 100%

That's enough for tonight, gonna have to pick it back up tomorrow some time.

I don't know who Jim Sterling is, but that is the most ridiculous review ever. Hope that review doesn't result in lost sales. :(

How do you check a thread to see how many posts each member has in it?

Top Bottom