• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

thetrin said:
What troubles me about the game is how unreliable it is (rather than being consistently bad). For instance, jumping backwards from a ledge to grab another one, and inexplicably not grabbing the new ledge and falling to my death.

The game is AMAZING when it's good, and utterly aggravating when it isn't.

Trick is to not hold the direction of the jump. Once you see Gabriel look at the other ledge, just hit the jump button.

I haven't had any problems with the platforming.

Brandon F said:
What is the crystal trick for the Titan trials?

You just use your crystal attack at the start of the battle. It takes the titan's health down really far, and the runes only require one smash to break.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
brandonh83 said:
You just use your crystal attack at the start of the battle. It takes the titan's health down really far, and the runes only require one smash to break.

Ah! Yea, I was wondering how it was possible to get 1:30 on Titan 1. Thanks!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely enjoying it more now. As others have noted, it has some aggravating moments but it can also really shine.

I'd also say that, on average, the framerate has been higher from chapter 3 onwards. Anything involving a lot of foliage and natural formations seems to run much worse than the castles and villages.

thetrin said:
The Titan Graveyard is easily one of the most aggravating levels in the game. In comparison, the rest of Chapter X was incredibly easy, fun, and quick.

Fire Pinnacle was badass. Easily one of my favorite sections of the game.

I'm in Chapter XI right now. Looks like I'm closing in on the end of the game!

What troubles me about the game is how unreliable it is (rather than being consistently bad). For instance, jumping backwards from a ledge to grab another one, and inexplicably not grabbing the new ledge and falling to my death.

The game is AMAZING when it's good, and utterly aggravating when it isn't.
I've seen this complained about in reviews. I never had any issues with ledge grabbing throughout the game. *shrugs*

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Rather than buying it, I watched that stream that someone had a few days ago, it looks and sounds great.

Will be on the look out for the sequel, if they polish up the gameplay they'll have a very solid game on their hands, faithful to Castlevania or not.

LiK

dark10x said:
Definitely enjoying it more now. As others have noted, it has some aggravating moments but it can also really shine.

I'd also say that, on average, the framerate has been higher from chapter 3 onwards. Anything involving a lot of foliage and natural formations seems to run much worse than the castles and villages.

the framerate issues i had later in the game only resulted from tossing Holy Water. playing on 360 installed on HDD and it's pretty bad. the fight near the end with the
Necromancers and the zombies they summon
were REALLY bad. it became a slideshow literally whenever i tossed holy water to clear them out. but other than that, the game runs pretty well.

RavenFox

Banned
Ricker said:
Wow,start of disk 2, i`m in the labyrinth garden and i`m getting massive slowdowns in there but I didn`t install it...disk 1 installed was not doing that...those little guys in there are annoying hehe...
Just grab all of them if you're having issues. You can do this to each and every one of them without a scratch.

Just wanted to add I enjoyed each and every lash I laid upon the vile skin of Olrox.
I'm in the Titan graveyard to let you guys know.

LiK

^ grabbing in this game makes so many battles easier. like the ghouls and mandrakes die so easily. and i love that the QTE is just one hit.

Denzar

Urgh, fucking youtube.

I was looking for the soundtrack of the game, and scrolled down and one of the videos spoiled the final boss for me.

Not that it's a big spoiler or anything...

I think...

LowParry

Getting back around to game. Stupid WoW. Just finished chp. 10. That boss was a pain. But doable. The dodge method certainly works that time around.

Solo said:
Im only on stage 4-1. In what chapter does Vampire Hunter play?

There's a pretty subtle, peaceful remix of it in the level where you have to find the crystal shards, and it shows up again later on in chapter 10.

You don't get these huge remixes of it, but it's noticeable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
We got this here for PS3 - the disc-swapping to go back to previous levels in the 360 build clinched the deal. I have to say I'm really impressed by two things:

The incredible amount of art, character design, and world building put into the game. There's just so many creatures, characters, and locations.

And that it /is/ good to go back to arcade style, level-oriented Castlevania. Let me be clear - if Iga put out another really polished Metroidvania tomorrow on the level of Order of Ecclesia, I'd be right there. But Castlevania should embrace all of its variations, and one of those is the linear, trap-and-danger-and-death-laden arcade gothic punchy whippin' design.

It's also true that the deeper in you go the more it seems like Castlevania. Given the sheer, gargantuan size of the game and the stupid number of different locals and environments, I'd say they legitimately got better at what they were doing as they went along and it just wasn't feasible to go back and rebuild or rethink the earlier stages.

LiK

Kaijima said:
We got this here for PS3 - the disc-swapping to go back to previous levels in the 360 build clinched the deal. I have to say I'm really impressed by two things:

no disc swapping if you install disc 1 onto your HDD. you can return to any previous levels from disc 2.

RavenFox

Banned
LiK said:
no disc swapping if you install disc 1 onto your HDD. you can return to any previous levels from disc 2.
I thought that's what he said?
Earlier in this thread I bitched and moaned about having L2 as dodge and I ask the devs and gaf for forgiveness. After putting some serious hours into this game I understand the decision to keep your fingers on the action. These bastards of the night are relentless.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This game has started to bore me. I'm tired of riding monsters and fighting the same enemies over and over again. Love the visuals and the soundtrack, but this is getting traded in I'm afraid.

I'm at the rock titan
--does it get better after this?

Chiggs said:
This game has started to bore me. I'm tired of riding monsters and fighting the same enemies over and over again. Love the visuals and the soundtrack, but this is getting traded in I'm afraid.

I'm at the rock titan

That's chapter 2. Yes it gets MUCH better.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Okay, maybe I'll stick with it to see what else happens. Some of the reviews mentioned that the ending is worth it.

LowParry

Chiggs said:

I'm at the rock titan

Holy fuck man. You have NO idea have much better it gets once you get into Chp. 3.

bubnbob

Banned
I wish you could disable abilities like Bayonetta. How many times have you double jumped but didnt mean to. Or dash-jumped but didn't mean to.

Fruuuustrating

LowParry

bubnbob said:
I wish you could disable abilities like Bayonetta. How many times have you double jumped but didnt mean to. Or dash-jumped but didn't mean to.

Fruuuustrating

None. I don't button mash. :lol I kiiiiiiiid!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
CcrooK said:
None. I don't button mash. :lol I kiiiiiiiid!

:lol

Seriously though, stop button mashing. I'm not kidding. How on earth do you dash jump when you don't mean to?

bubnbob

Banned
rofl. good one guys. kings of the vidya, i'm sure. but seriously.

if you're gonna copy, at least look at the competition. disabling abilities in bayo was genius. bye bye useless crow move.

if they took the time to include stupid chupacabra bits that remove your abilities. why not just let me do it myself?

LowParry

bubnbob said:
rofl. good one guys. kings of the vidya, i'm sure. but seriously.

if you're gonna copy, at least look at the competition. disabling abilities in bayo was genius. bye bye useless crow move.

if they took the time to include stupid chupacabra bits that remove your abilities. why not just let me do it myself?

I guess that's all dependent of the player. There's a lot more depth to Castlevania's combat system. It's far from any God of War clone, but not so complex as Bayonetta. I think it comes close to hitting the sweet spot of the two.

dwebo

bubnbob said:

Wait, wait, how did you disable moves in Bayonetta? My mind's blanking on me. The only move in LoS that fired off when I didn't mean to was the gauntlet punch, since L2 and Square were probably my most pushed buttons.

I'll agree that the chupacabra bits were dumb. Having 1 was okay,
was pushing my patience.

bubnbob

Banned
You do it in the skills menu or options menu in Bayo (i forgot too but its been a while since playing it).

All I'm saying is - I don't need double jump for these early levels. I want to turn it off so dont "accidentally" double jump when trying to platform.

forrest

formerly nacire
Damn Ogre trial trying my patience. I don't know why, but this one was considerably hard for me. Finally got it though. On to the next. Once I'm done, I think I'm gonna go for Paladin as well. I want to go through the full game again so might as well make it harder! :D

forrest

formerly nacire
Glix said:
I just tried to splice the two pics (concept art and ingame) into a side by side.

Unfortunatley, I only have Paint at work, and flickr doesn't let me link to my images there anymore. But if someone else wants to do it, damn, they realized their creative vision completely. Just wow.

Here you go Glix! The camera angles are quite different, but you get the idea!

vampire-castle-comparef5lt.jpg

I'm only Near the end if chapter two and I already want to scream every time I find a scroll. I keep hoping to find gems but I keep missing them. Any tips on finding more gems?

canadian crowe said:
I'm only Near the end if chapter two and I already want to scream every time I find a scroll. I keep hoping to find gems but I keep missing them. Any tips on finding more gems?

There are in the dead soldiers :D

If you don't go gamefaqs, the only solution is to get close to all camera limits, and when you have a crossroad, hope that you choosed the wrong way, instead of the one that brings you to the end of the level.

It's more difficult in next chapters, because you'll have to pay attention to walls and other elements that can be broken-avoided with powers.

DangerousDave said:
There are in the dead soldiers :D

If you don't go gamefaqs, the only solution is to get close to all camera limits, and when you have a crossroad, hope that you choosed the wrong way, instead of the one that brings you to the end of the level.

It's more difficult in next chapters, because you'll have to pay attention to walls and other elements that can be broken-avoided with powers.
Thanks. I feel so relieved when I find a soldier, only to see that he had a scroll on him. I'm sure I'll do another pass in the levels when I have most if my powers. Great game so far, it's starting to pick up and the atmosphere is amazing.

I need help on how and when to press the buttons on the
2nd titan
boss

I know I have to grab the rock, I've been pressing R2 to grab it, but then Gabriel just lets it go behind him, so I drop it. Do I hold R2 (ps3 version here) and release with correct timing, or do I
have to hit another button too?

Peff

Saint Francis said:
I need help on how and when to press the buttons on the
2nd titan
boss

I know I have to grab the rock, I've been pressing R2 to grab it, but then Gabriel just lets it go behind him, so I drop it. Do I hold R2 (ps3 version here) and release with correct timing, or do I
have to hit another button too?

Rotate the left stick right after pressing R2. Counter-clockwise, that's important

Just bought this.

Talk to me Patrick! Mmmmm yea. Great start to any game when I hear his voice.

Very excited to play this!

**Though I did shudder when he ended that first monologue with "oblivion". Ughhh.

Frillen

canadian crowe said:

The dead soldiers containing gems are much harder to locate and much more hidden compared to the ones with scrolls.

Hellion

lawblob said:
You should should buy it now, it's rad.

This *might* be my favorite game of the year. Sorry Red Dead....

Wow... I had low expectations for Red Dead after GTA4 and it blew me away.

Did you get the same playing this.

TemplaerDude said:
Talk to me Patrick! Mmmmm yea. Great start to any game when I hear his voice.

people bitch about the quality of the writing but I'd rather have Patrick Stewart telling me what the fuck's up instead of a plain loading sequence.

Top Bottom